Nordstrom

Updated Feb 25, 2015

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in November 2014.

Applied Online, process took about 2-3 weeks. I had originally interviewed with a department manager, she never got back to me, so I had to be really persistent. I ended up interviewing with another department manager and made it through.

Interview Questions
  • Give your most recent experience dealing with a hard customer   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Anonymous Employee in Novi, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Novi, MI

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Nordstrom in November 2014.

I was referred by a current employee and sent my resume in online. I got a call within a few hours to schedule an interview in the Active Wear department for the very next day. The interview felt promising. I sent a "thank you" email to the department manager and I got a call back a week later to interview with POV. (According to the employee I know that works there, the Active Wear manager felt I would do better in designer wear and recommended me to another department.) Again, the interview was scheduled for the next day. This one seemed to go even better than the last. I felt super confident. The department manager told me I'd hear back within 5 days. 7 days went by and I hadn't heard anything so I contacted HR to inquire about the status of my application. HR said my application was still in review and asked if I would be interested in interviewing with the Shoes department. I agreed with the expectation of another phone call. Two weeks have gone by and I haven't heard anything from any of the departments. I'm over it at this point. Would have been nice if they could have just informed me that they found a better fit. Oh well.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had to utilize teamwork

Describe a situation where you had to deal with a particularly difficult customer and how you handled it

For each interview I was taken to the sales floor and asked to "sell" an item. In the first interview I was told to pick any article of clothing. In the second interview I was provided a scenario: a woman who had recently given birth needed to find an article of clothing that she could wear to work and out. Keeping her fluctuating weight in mind.

Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and got a phone call a few days later. Unfortunately, I was busy with personal things and missed the call by just a couple minutes. She left a message and I called back just a few minutes later and she had already left the office for the day. I called back the next day and left a message. No answer back. I left 3 messages and still had not heard back.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buford, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buford, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Very straight forward. Why do you like fashion? Why do you want to work for Nordstrom? Examples of how you sell or would encourage someone to open a reward (debit/credit) card. Positives and negatives about yourself.

Interview Questions
    • What is one of your negative qualities? I always try to say something that could also be a positive, like I am OCD (I really am) and sometimes things have to be organized before I can tackle the issue, which is bad because it takes extra time to organize, but good because I'm organized and prioritize.   Answer Question
    No real opportunity to negotiate- you either want the job for what they offer to pay you or they will offer it to the next person....they will not negotiate pay for a sales position because they say you have the opportunity to earn commission, but you only get your hourly check or your commission check NOT BOTH (unless you work in hosiery or at home, just because they are low volume/slow departments and harder to earn commission- so if you work on of these departments, CROSS SELL LIKE CRAZY- because if you work hosiery for example, and you sell a few pairs of leggings, but they your customer wants a new handbag and shoes too, that is YOUR customer and you can cross sell those items to them and get the commission off the shoes/bag and you will ACTUALLY GET the commission)

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

I applied online. Got an email a week after to come for an interview. The interview was pretty easy and on time. Very nice people work there. Had an interview with a dept manager and then with HR.

Interview Questions
    • How competitive you are? How did you reach your goals?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

I applied online. The application processes wasn't as painfully long as most companies. After I submitted the application I got an email back right away to set up a phone interview. The questions they asked me were pretty easy. I didn't feel like they asked anything too difficult and they were very friendly. I got another call back for another interview a day or two later. While I didn't end up accepting this job, the interview process is very straight forward and simple and would recommend anyone to apply there

Interview Questions
    • If you had a coworker that you knew was struggling finically and had multiple children stole some supplies to take home, what would you do?   Answer Question

I had a conflicting schedule

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom.

I started at the rack so the interviews were conducted in group settings which took some pressure off. When I applied at the full line previous to the Rack coming to Annapolis, it was one on one and was a very difficult interview.

Interview Questions
    • I did not have any unexpected questions during my Rack interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person – interviewed at Nordstrom.

The hiring and interview process was a bit lengthy but pretty straight forward. I applied and shortly after, got called to do a phone interview. After doing well with my phone interview, I was then called back in for a one-on-one interview with the head of HR. She was the same person that conducted my phone interview. She basically asked me typical retail interview questions and tested me on my customer service skills.
    After that interview, I had one last interview with my soon to be manager. She asked me a few more retail and customer service related questions and then asked me to do some on the spot selling in her department. It was pretty simple and actually kind of fun. All-in-all, it was a success. I got the job!
    Just smile, be confident and remember the customer is always right!

Interview Questions
    • What would you say to a customer that was trying to return something that was obviously not from the store?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

open interview was where I picked 3 departments to interview with. The second dept gave me the job. Very loud in room when interviewing with managers. Was asked about a time when I had a hard to sell item.

Sales Associate Interview

Initially I had a very good experience with the interview process. The intitial contact was timely in response to my application, and the first round open interview went very well. I was called back within 24 hours for a second interview with the department manager. I felt that went well also, despite the manager being 20 minutes late to start the interview, and was told by the manager I would hear back from her whether I got the job or not by the next day. After that I heard nothing at all, from any one in the company. I called back two days later to speak with the manager and left a message and still never received any response or returned call. I'm disappointed to not have been hired, but moreso with the lack of communication after my second interview. I don't think that indicates a symptomatic fault in Nordstrom itself, but certainly with a manager who only had to decide between 3 candidates.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most competitive environment you have ever been a part of? What is one example of how you helped a client with high expectations?   Answer Question