Nordstrom

Average Difficulty
327 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom in June 2014.

Interview Details – Created account on the website and then applied online for a position. Got an email the next day asking me to chose a phone interview time. I scheduled the next open slot which was about a week later. I scheduled it for 4pm but they only called around 4:45, keep a two hour slot open for your phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 10-15 minutes. They asked about 5-7 questions but nothing hard. Then the lady told me she would like to schedule a in store interview with a manager and asked me what department I was interested in. The in store interview was scheduled for about 4 days later and there was a group of us waiting. Then one by one we each were taking to a different area by the manager or assistant manager of the department we wanted to work in. Then the interview lasted about a half hour.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Nordstorms?   Answer Question
  • Why do you want to work in whatever particular department you applied for?   Answer Question
  • What was a time when you experienced really high expectations and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in February 2013.

Interview Details – I got a call within 2 days of applying. We talked on the phone briefly and then did a quick face to face interview. They talk a lot about working off commission. It helps if you have before. They are all about customer service. The job you apply for online isn't always the job they have for you when you are in the interview. After the find a fit department, they take you down to meet the manager and the manager makes you sell an item in the department. It can either be super fun or nerve wracking! I got a call and was hired within the next 2-3 days!

Interview Question – Honestly the most difficult question which isn't difficult at all is When have you had an unhappy customer and how did you handle the situation.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, you work off commission.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied in April as soon as they posted openings for the seasonal sales associates and I scheduled a phone interview a week later. The phone interview was really short, she just asked why I wanted to work at Nordstrom, an example of a time I went above and beyond to achieve a goal, and a couple other questions. I was still at school so she told me to come in on their next interviewing day and that I would be able to choose the department I wanted to work in (based on what would still be available since some previous seasonal employees would be coming back).
For the in-person interview, I was extremely nervous going into it and was expecting a pretty formal interview. However, I arrived 15 minutes early and right after I got there, a woman came to lead us over to the interview room where they had multiple interviews going on at the same time at tables spread out around the room. My interviewer was really nice and laid back, which made me feel much more comfortable. During the interview, she was summarizing my answers and writing them down but it was pretty low pressure--we even got off topic a couple of times so it eliminated most of my nerves. However, a couple of questions I wasn't expecting but as long as you come prepared with a few specific examples of times you have been successful or have reached a goal etc. you should be fine. Also, you don't have to have retail experience to answer the behavioral questions, you can use any examples from your life.
After she finished the questions she talked to me more about the job and then showed me around the department. She asked me a few questions about how familiar I was with the department (brands I could name and trends that were in style this season). Then she gave me a simple scenario where she was a customer and I had to pick out a few items I thought she would like. She asked me what I should do if the customer wanted to buy everything I picked out and I didn't really know so she told me that you want to try to build relationships so you should ask the customer how to contact them if there is a sale or event going on. Finally, she gave me her business card and I e-mailed her the next day to thank her and then she called me back that same day to say I got the job!

Interview Question – 1. Example of successful teamwork, 2. Example of competitive situation, 3. Example of a time someone expected too much out of you, 4. Example of working hard to achieve a goal, 5. How will you reach your sales goals?, 6. Why are you interested in *specific department*?, 7. Come prepared with questions to ask them   Answer Question

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – On line applications. If you have previous experience in sales You need to go in after you apply. Talk with the manager or managers. Get noticed. A lot of people apply.

Interview Question – Most questions deal with how you can show excellent customer service.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in May 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online, was invited in for the interview (it was seasonal, for their anniversary sale). The interview took place in a big open conference room, and a lot of other people were being interviewed as well. There was a waiting room and you had to wait until your name was called. Was hired after the first interview. I sent them an old fashioned thank you card after the interview.

Interview Question – "Sell me your purse"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered me a base hourly rate with a 6.7% commission. If your commission doesn't meet the base rate, they will pay you the base rate.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a response in about a week. Had a phone interview that next week. It was just as I expected and it only lasted for 5-10 mintues. Two weeks later I had the mass interview and it took about 45 minutes. They asked standard questions and I have a mock sale. The next day the called me and asked me to come speak to the handbag depatment manager. I wasn't offered the job. I think they gave it to someone who had more retail experience.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted for an over the phone interview. Then after, was invited to come in and interview in person. One room set aside for interviewing. Three tables, with three managers at each table. Rotated tables for mini speed dating like interviews. Was offered the job around 5 days after.

Interview Question – 1.) Sell me this... They'll hand you a piece of jewelry etc. and expect you to do a role-play with them. Pretend as if they're a customer and approach it as that.
2.) A time you did not achieve a goal?
3.) Greatest accomplishment?
4.) Why do you want to work for Nordstrom?
5.) Which department would you like to work in and why?
6.) Tell me about yourself.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. Min wage base + commission.

Very Easy Interview

White Plains, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom in March 2013.

Interview Details – the hiring process is really simple you get offered a phone interview. once you get pass the phone interview you will then be offered an in person interview. dress to impress. keep eye contact and make sure you show your customer service skills. Continue to talk and always have a quick response.

Interview Question – question consist of

name a time where you had to handle more then one customer and how did you react on that
  Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – phone screening with HR, asked top 3 departments that i wanted to work at. Then interviewed individually at the specific department. Got declined for the first department but called HR and got an interview at another department where i got offered a job. HR is great!

Interview Question – past experience working with customers   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – commission based

Providence, RI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in May 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted my online application and was emailed the following week to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was brief and to the point, at the conclusion of the phone interview the HR representative said she would like to schedule me for an in store interview. The phone interview was on a Tuesday and the in store interview was held that Friday. It was a panel style interview. Four of us were interviewed in the same room by four managers. We each sat at an individual desk with the manager so everyone was talking at the same time which made it feel comfortable since no one was listening to anyone else's interview. The managers all had the same sheets to ensure that they all asked the same exact questions and touched upon the same topics. They took brief notes of our answers. They were very friendly. After sitting and answering the questions with one manager, another manager took me to a department where she selected an item and asked me to sell it to her. (fun role play to test your selling ability) Afterwards she asked a few more questions and concluded the interview. She smiled and said I would hear back in a few days, I was confident that I had gotten the position. By Wednesday I had not heard anything back and was concerned so I called HR asking if the individuals who had been hired had already been notified. A few minutes later I received a phone call telling me I was hired and when I would start. :)

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you were compared to another employee.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation, there is a base pay and each department has a different commission rate. It is very simple.