Nordstrom Sales Associate Interview Questions

2.5

333 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in May 2010.

Applied online, was invited in for the interview (it was seasonal, for their anniversary sale). The interview took place in a big open conference room, and a lot of other people were being interviewed as well. There was a waiting room and you had to wait until your name was called. Was hired after the first interview. I sent them an old fashioned thank you card after the interview.

Interview Questions
They offered me a base hourly rate with a 6.7% commission. If your commission doesn't meet the base rate, they will pay you the base rate.

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in May 2014.

Applied online and got a response in about a week. Had a phone interview that next week. It was just as I expected and it only lasted for 5-10 mintues. Two weeks later I had the mass interview and it took about 45 minutes. They asked standard questions and I have a mock sale. The next day the called me and asked me to come speak to the handbag depatment manager. I wasn't offered the job. I think they gave it to someone who had more retail experience.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in April 2014.

Applied online and was contacted for an over the phone interview. Then after, was invited to come in and interview in person. One room set aside for interviewing. Three tables, with three managers at each table. Rotated tables for mini speed dating like interviews. Was offered the job around 5 days after.

Interview Questions
    • 1.) Sell me this... They'll hand you a piece of jewelry etc. and expect you to do a role-play with them. Pretend as if they're a customer and approach it as that.
      2.) A time you did not achieve a goal?
      3.) Greatest accomplishment?
      4.) Why do you want to work for Nordstrom?
      5.) Which department would you like to work in and why?
      6.) Tell me about yourself.
        Answer Question
    None. Min wage base + commission.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  White Plains, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom in March 2013.

the hiring process is really simple you get offered a phone interview. once you get pass the phone interview you will then be offered an in person interview. dress to impress. keep eye contact and make sure you show your customer service skills. Continue to talk and always have a quick response.

Interview Questions
    • question consist of

name a time where you had to handle more then one customer and how did you react on that
        Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Why should we hire you and not the other applicants

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

phone screening with HR, asked top 3 departments that i wanted to work at. Then interviewed individually at the specific department. Got declined for the first department but called HR and got an interview at another department where i got offered a job. HR is great!

commission based

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Providence, RI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in May 2014.

I submitted my online application and was emailed the following week to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was brief and to the point, at the conclusion of the phone interview the HR representative said she would like to schedule me for an in store interview. The phone interview was on a Tuesday and the in store interview was held that Friday. It was a panel style interview. Four of us were interviewed in the same room by four managers. We each sat at an individual desk with the manager so everyone was talking at the same time which made it feel comfortable since no one was listening to anyone else's interview. The managers all had the same sheets to ensure that they all asked the same exact questions and touched upon the same topics. They took brief notes of our answers. They were very friendly. After sitting and answering the questions with one manager, another manager took me to a department where she selected an item and asked me to sell it to her. (fun role play to test your selling ability) Afterwards she asked a few more questions and concluded the interview. She smiled and said I would hear back in a few days, I was confident that I had gotten the position. By Wednesday I had not heard anything back and was concerned so I called HR asking if the individuals who had been hired had already been notified. A few minutes later I received a phone call telling me I was hired and when I would start. :)

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you were compared to another employee.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation, there is a base pay and each department has a different commission rate. It is very simple.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Farmington, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington, CT

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in March 2012.

Phone interview, then a one on one with basic questions on teamwork etc. They call back within 2-3 days

no negotiation phase

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hurst, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hurst, TX

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in April 2014.

I applied online and within 20 minutes I got an email asking me to set an appointment for a phone interview. I was of course nervous (I've never had a job before, and this is NORDSTROM), so I came on here and looked at all of the questions you guys were asked, wrote them down and studied it hard to make sure I didn't sound like I was a bad candidate. The phone interview was brief, about ten minutes. Asked how I would handle difficult customers, what skills I thought fit the position.
    At the end of the ten minutes she set me for an interview on the following Monday!
    I interviewed with two gentlemen at the same time, one was a sales person and the other was a manager. They were both extremely nice and I felt comfortable right away! They asked typical questions you would expect, many of which I saw on here. It didn't last long, maybe 15 minutes. Then I got a tour of the department I would be working in (Kids wear!). They were very thorough and showed me the back rooms, how things were organized, and were very informative. I thought it went great!
    After not hearing anything on Tuesday I thought for sure they would hire someone else, but as I was walking home from volunteering at the Library on Wednesday, I got a call and was offered the job!
    I start training on Saturday!

Interview Questions
    • They were pretty standard. For me the difficult questions were the ones asking about handling past customers and such, since I had to try to find real-world applications without any work experience.   Answer Question

Sale Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom in March 2014.

I received an email telling me if I would like to set up the time and date for the interview. I replied promptly afterward and chose the time and date. The interview was easy and fun. I had the interview with HR and then my department manager.