Nordstrom Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Oct 29, 2014

2.5

352 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in May 2014.

I applied in April as soon as they posted openings for the seasonal sales associates and I scheduled a phone interview a week later. The phone interview was really short, she just asked why I wanted to work at Nordstrom, an example of a time I went above and beyond to achieve a goal, and a couple other questions. I was still at school so she told me to come in on their next interviewing day and that I would be able to choose the department I wanted to work in (based on what would still be available since some previous seasonal employees would be coming back).
For the in-person interview, I was extremely nervous going into it and was expecting a pretty formal interview. However, I arrived 15 minutes early and right after I got there, a woman came to lead us over to the interview room where they had multiple interviews going on at the same time at tables spread out around the room. My interviewer was really nice and laid back, which made me feel much more comfortable. During the interview, she was summarizing my answers and writing them down but it was pretty low pressure--we even got off topic a couple of times so it eliminated most of my nerves. However, a couple of questions I wasn't expecting but as long as you come prepared with a few specific examples of times you have been successful or have reached a goal etc. you should be fine. Also, you don't have to have retail experience to answer the behavioral questions, you can use any examples from your life.
After she finished the questions she talked to me more about the job and then showed me around the department. She asked me a few questions about how familiar I was with the department (brands I could name and trends that were in style this season). Then she gave me a simple scenario where she was a customer and I had to pick out a few items I thought she would like. She asked me what I should do if the customer wanted to buy everything I picked out and I didn't really know so she told me that you want to try to build relationships so you should ask the customer how to contact them if there is a sale or event going on. Finally, she gave me her business card and I e-mailed her the next day to thank her and then she called me back that same day to say I got the job!

Interview Questions
  • 1. Example of successful teamwork, 2. Example of competitive situation, 3. Example of a time someone expected too much out of you, 4. Example of working hard to achieve a goal, 5. How will you reach your sales goals?, 6. Why are you interested in *specific department*?, 7. Come prepared with questions to ask them   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in May 2014.

Applied online and got a response in about a week. Had a phone interview that next week. It was just as I expected and it only lasted for 5-10 mintues. Two weeks later I had the mass interview and it took about 45 minutes. They asked standard questions and I have a mock sale. The next day the called me and asked me to come speak to the handbag depatment manager. I wasn't offered the job. I think they gave it to someone who had more retail experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in May 2014.

I submitted my online application and was emailed the following week to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was brief and to the point, at the conclusion of the phone interview the HR representative said she would like to schedule me for an in store interview. The phone interview was on a Tuesday and the in store interview was held that Friday. It was a panel style interview. Four of us were interviewed in the same room by four managers. We each sat at an individual desk with the manager so everyone was talking at the same time which made it feel comfortable since no one was listening to anyone else's interview. The managers all had the same sheets to ensure that they all asked the same exact questions and touched upon the same topics. They took brief notes of our answers. They were very friendly. After sitting and answering the questions with one manager, another manager took me to a department where she selected an item and asked me to sell it to her. (fun role play to test your selling ability) Afterwards she asked a few more questions and concluded the interview. She smiled and said I would hear back in a few days, I was confident that I had gotten the position. By Wednesday I had not heard anything back and was concerned so I called HR asking if the individuals who had been hired had already been notified. A few minutes later I received a phone call telling me I was hired and when I would start. :)

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you were compared to another employee.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation, there is a base pay and each department has a different commission rate. It is very simple.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom.

When i first applied, they didnt call me after two weeks, i was the one that called them. They had a phone interview with me that was about 10 minutes and it was basically asking me if i had any experience selling in a commission driven environment, and if i had every worked in retail before. The in office interview was basically asking be about life experiences and obstacles i faced working in a team environment.

Interview Questions
    • How wold i sell a piece of clothing? there wasn't really a difficult question   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

I applied online and received an email shortly after to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was short (about 10 minutes long) . At the end of the interview, the lady said that she would send me an email in a couple of days. My interview was on a Friday and I received an email on Monday saying that they were moving forward with another candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you weren't able to accomplish a goal, and how did you deal with it?
      What skills do you think are most important for this job?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hurst, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hurst, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in April 2014.

I applied online and within 20 minutes I got an email asking me to set an appointment for a phone interview. I was of course nervous (I've never had a job before, and this is NORDSTROM), so I came on here and looked at all of the questions you guys were asked, wrote them down and studied it hard to make sure I didn't sound like I was a bad candidate. The phone interview was brief, about ten minutes. Asked how I would handle difficult customers, what skills I thought fit the position.
    At the end of the ten minutes she set me for an interview on the following Monday!
    I interviewed with two gentlemen at the same time, one was a sales person and the other was a manager. They were both extremely nice and I felt comfortable right away! They asked typical questions you would expect, many of which I saw on here. It didn't last long, maybe 15 minutes. Then I got a tour of the department I would be working in (Kids wear!). They were very thorough and showed me the back rooms, how things were organized, and were very informative. I thought it went great!
    After not hearing anything on Tuesday I thought for sure they would hire someone else, but as I was walking home from volunteering at the Library on Wednesday, I got a call and was offered the job!
    I start training on Saturday!

Interview Questions
    • They were pretty standard. For me the difficult questions were the ones asking about handling past customers and such, since I had to try to find real-world applications without any work experience.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in April 2014.

Applied online and was contacted for an over the phone interview. Then after, was invited to come in and interview in person. One room set aside for interviewing. Three tables, with three managers at each table. Rotated tables for mini speed dating like interviews. Was offered the job around 5 days after.

Interview Questions
    • 1.) Sell me this... They'll hand you a piece of jewelry etc. and expect you to do a role-play with them. Pretend as if they're a customer and approach it as that.
      2.) A time you did not achieve a goal?
      3.) Greatest accomplishment?
      4.) Why do you want to work for Nordstrom?
      5.) Which department would you like to work in and why?
      6.) Tell me about yourself.
        Answer Question
    None. Min wage base + commission.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Nordstrom in April 2014.

It was average. Nothing too unexpected or out of the ordinary. Just be yourself. They already seem to know what they want. If you fit the bill than great.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in April 2014.

I found the initial job posting online through Nordstrom's website. After submitting the application, I received an e-mail response about 7 days later that stated I was selected for an interview over the phone, and I was given the option to pick a time to interview over a specified three-day range. This part of the process is flexible, and I was able to change the original time I had chosen due to a scheduling conflict. While speaking on the phone with a representative from the HR department at the local store where I applied to work, I was asked to schedule an in-person interview with the manager from the department in which I would be placed. During the in-person interview, I met with the manager and she asked similar questions as the HR representative did during the phone interview. After giving me a tour of the floor areas that she managed, the manager asked me to select and present a series of outfits to her for different occasions. I received a job offer the same day over the phone, about 3 hours after the in-person interview concluded. I accepted and began working the following week.

Interview Questions
    • "When was a time that you had to work with a team to overcome a conflict or problem?"   Answer Question

Sale Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Apply online, but try to make a connection with someone who works at a store who can push your application through HR. You'll probably interview with HR first, then pop around to different departments. Don't worry if you aren't accepted by the first department you interview with, the manager will probably pass you along to a friend!