Nordstrom

Updated Dec 14, 2014

2.5

361 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Nordstrom.

Applied online - uploaded my resume, references, and other stuff. I got an email back the next day or two telling me to set up a phone interview online. I scheduled it, and waited for the day I'd get the call. On the day of the scheduled phone interview, the manager? interviewer? called about two hours late, so just make sure you're open two hours before and after your original time slot. The questions were pretty simple - Why Nordstrom? Give an example of good customer service? - and after that, the interviewer forwarded my information to the manager of the department I was applying to. She then set up a face to face interview, which was also pretty casual. It was one-on-one, and short (15 minutes max).

Interview Questions
  • Selling scenario - pick an outfit for a specific occasion and sell it to the department manager. Because it was so spontaneous, it was somewhat difficult, but just stay calm and it should be good.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in July 2014.

I interviewed for Luxury Women's Apparel. The phone interview was very simple - probably 5 minutes long. The second interviewer was nice and asked me a few questions about my favorite brands and why I want to work there. Pretty much the same questions the phone interviewer asked. The in person interview is basically so that they can see you in person and if you match the Nordstrom Brand.

Interview Questions
    • She asks for you can sell her an outfit which isn't hard but since I was not familiar with the Luxury Brands I had a hard time pronouncing the name when it came to describing the dress I ended up picking so I would go in to the store beforehand in the section you are interviewing for and be prepared   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nordstrom in June 2014.

Just let them know that you thrive off of friendly competition, you love fashion and you've always wanted to work for and make nordstrom a career. They'll love you.

Commission only

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom in June 2014.

Created account on the website and then applied online for a position. Got an email the next day asking me to chose a phone interview time. I scheduled the next open slot which was about a week later. I scheduled it for 4pm but they only called around 4:45, keep a two hour slot open for your phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 10-15 minutes. They asked about 5-7 questions but nothing hard. Then the lady told me she would like to schedule a in store interview with a manager and asked me what department I was interested in. The in store interview was scheduled for about 4 days later and there was a group of us waiting. Then one by one we each were taking to a different area by the manager or assistant manager of the department we wanted to work in. Then the interview lasted about a half hour.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Nordstorms?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work in whatever particular department you applied for?   Answer Question
    • What was a time when you experienced really high expectations and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

On line applications. If you have previous experience in sales You need to go in after you apply. Talk with the manager or managers. Get noticed. A lot of people apply.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions deal with how you can show excellent customer service.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

phone screening with HR, asked top 3 departments that i wanted to work at. Then interviewed individually at the specific department. Got declined for the first department but called HR and got an interview at another department where i got offered a job. HR is great!

commission based

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom.

Why should we hire you and not the other applicants

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in May 2014.

I applied in April as soon as they posted openings for the seasonal sales associates and I scheduled a phone interview a week later. The phone interview was really short, she just asked why I wanted to work at Nordstrom, an example of a time I went above and beyond to achieve a goal, and a couple other questions. I was still at school so she told me to come in on their next interviewing day and that I would be able to choose the department I wanted to work in (based on what would still be available since some previous seasonal employees would be coming back).
    For the in-person interview, I was extremely nervous going into it and was expecting a pretty formal interview. However, I arrived 15 minutes early and right after I got there, a woman came to lead us over to the interview room where they had multiple interviews going on at the same time at tables spread out around the room. My interviewer was really nice and laid back, which made me feel much more comfortable. During the interview, she was summarizing my answers and writing them down but it was pretty low pressure--we even got off topic a couple of times so it eliminated most of my nerves. However, a couple of questions I wasn't expecting but as long as you come prepared with a few specific examples of times you have been successful or have reached a goal etc. you should be fine. Also, you don't have to have retail experience to answer the behavioral questions, you can use any examples from your life.
    After she finished the questions she talked to me more about the job and then showed me around the department. She asked me a few questions about how familiar I was with the department (brands I could name and trends that were in style this season). Then she gave me a simple scenario where she was a customer and I had to pick out a few items I thought she would like. She asked me what I should do if the customer wanted to buy everything I picked out and I didn't really know so she told me that you want to try to build relationships so you should ask the customer how to contact them if there is a sale or event going on. Finally, she gave me her business card and I e-mailed her the next day to thank her and then she called me back that same day to say I got the job!

Interview Questions
    • 1. Example of successful teamwork, 2. Example of competitive situation, 3. Example of a time someone expected too much out of you, 4. Example of working hard to achieve a goal, 5. How will you reach your sales goals?, 6. Why are you interested in *specific department*?, 7. Come prepared with questions to ask them   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom in May 2014.

Applied online and got a response in about a week. Had a phone interview that next week. It was just as I expected and it only lasted for 5-10 mintues. Two weeks later I had the mass interview and it took about 45 minutes. They asked standard questions and I have a mock sale. The next day the called me and asked me to come speak to the handbag depatment manager. I wasn't offered the job. I think they gave it to someone who had more retail experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in May 2014.

I submitted my online application and was emailed the following week to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was brief and to the point, at the conclusion of the phone interview the HR representative said she would like to schedule me for an in store interview. The phone interview was on a Tuesday and the in store interview was held that Friday. It was a panel style interview. Four of us were interviewed in the same room by four managers. We each sat at an individual desk with the manager so everyone was talking at the same time which made it feel comfortable since no one was listening to anyone else's interview. The managers all had the same sheets to ensure that they all asked the same exact questions and touched upon the same topics. They took brief notes of our answers. They were very friendly. After sitting and answering the questions with one manager, another manager took me to a department where she selected an item and asked me to sell it to her. (fun role play to test your selling ability) Afterwards she asked a few more questions and concluded the interview. She smiled and said I would hear back in a few days, I was confident that I had gotten the position. By Wednesday I had not heard anything back and was concerned so I called HR asking if the individuals who had been hired had already been notified. A few minutes later I received a phone call telling me I was hired and when I would start. :)

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you were compared to another employee.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation, there is a base pay and each department has a different commission rate. It is very simple.