Nordstrom

Getting the Interview

304 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – Interview Process is quite long. You go through 4 interviews before you know if you got the job or not. First phone interview with HR associate, then in person interview with the HR associate, after in person interview with the dept manager, and lastly with the store manager. They all ask you essentially the same questions and it can get very reduntant. Dept manager asks different types of questions and incorporates selling exercises into it as well.

Interview Question – They catch you off guard when you are interviewing with the dept manager. They ask you several selling questions, i.e. sell me this product etc. You have to be able to think on your toes, even if you have no idea what on earth you are selling.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Nordstrom in May 2012.

Interview Details – As you probably know they have hundreds of thousands of applicants so I called the store and asked to speak to HR to possibly get an interview while I was in town. They gladly pulled my application and set an appointment.

Interview Question – They mostly test your fashion knowledge; favorite designers, magazines you subscribe to, sales experience etc. Nordstrom is very diverse an open-minded so interviews don't feel like you are being interrogated, more like a great conversation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiations it's strictly commission based pay.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – A phone interview that lasted 15 minutes and included very basic questions. A second in-person interview lasted 20 minutes. I was asked to 'sell' something to the dept. manager. I was hired within a week.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Sales are 100% commission-based.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a call 2 days later from a super nice HR person. Got interviewed right on the spot unexpectedly but they were incredibly easy questions. Asked to come in for an interview the next day in the afternoon and fill out a questionnaire online. Again, met with HR who were so nice and sweet and made me feel really comfortable. She asked me around 6 or 7 typical interviewer questions. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. And she hired me on the spot. She didn't ask me to sell her anything and I didn't meet with a department manager like I thought I would. The interview lasted around 30 minutes. She did, however, contact my references. But that was really about it.

Make sure you wear trendy business casual to the interview as well. You want to make a great, professional first impression but you also want to show you have a fashion sense.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Nordstrom? Tell me about a time you went out of your way to do something that you weren't required to do at work. Tell me about a time you had to work with a team but didn't meet your team goals. What is your proudest achievement at work? What is the best quality you have that would help you achieve your goals here at Nordstrom?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't have to negotiate.

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2011.

Interview Details – Very lackadaisical hiring process in place by the managers. Not official at all and high level of procrastination by many managers in the store. The level of professionalism is dropping by the day in this company; the honeymoon is over.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was 'why do you want to wrk in this department,' usually the easiest question of an interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation involved.

Atlanta, GA

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom in January 2009.

Interview Details – Group/ 1 on 1 Interveiw

Interview Question – Most trying Sales Experience   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in February 2011.

Interview Details – I applied through the Nordstrom website and received a phone call from HR a few days later. After answering a few questions I was sent an email inviting to me an interview session on a Friday morning. When I arrived customer service showed me to a break room with about 20 other people present. Managers whose departments have openings select who they want to interview based off of their resume. My previous job was a management position at women's boutique and I was interviewed by 2 of the managers. The first took me to the sales floor and wanted me to pick an outfit based on her lifestyle (married, mother of 3, night out, etc.). My second interview consisted of the manager taking me to his sales floor and just speaking with me about which pieces I liked and why. I was there for maybe an hour total, but I saw several other people being interviewed by more managers than me. I had a phone call from the second manager by 330 that afternoon offering me a position. I accepted and the following week consisted of 3 days of training (Tuesday-Thursday) and on the fourth day consisted of shadowing your department manager in your new department.

Interview Question – Nothing was really out of the ordinary. Just your typical "tell me about a time you had a difficult customer and how you dealt with it" and "what does customer service mean to you"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation phase. The pay is $9.00 per hour if you fail to meet your sales goals. If you do meet your sales goal for the pay period you get your department's designated percentage of your total sales. The department I began working in was 6.75%, so I would get paid that percent of my total sales for the pay period.

Walnut Creek, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in May 2013.

Interview Details – Filled out online application. Got an email within a week to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview was short, 10-15 minutes. Was asked about availability, etc. Did not get a call back until about 2 months later (so unprofessional) when they asked if I was available to help with the anniversary sale, but by then I was already employed elsewhere and had to decline

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Sandy Springs, Fulton, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in November 2013.

Interview Details – Got called the same day I applied. Did a quick phone interview asking about past experiences. Then went in the next day to interview with department manager. She basically asked the same questions as the HR person over the phone. Then did some role playing on the floor. She asked me to sell her something.

Interview Question – Role playing and trying to sell her something.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Another job offer.

Sales Associate Interview

Interview Details – I applied online and almost immediately received a call from human resources asking for a brief phone interview. The phone call lasted about 30 minutes and she asked basic retail questions about my experience and behavioral questions. She asked me to come in later that day where I met with her again and answered the same questions from the phone and then I met with the manager of the department that I would be working in. She asked me about brand knowledge and when I told her I didn't know much (it was an upscale department) she told me it would be fine! Then I got the job!

Interview Question – Who is your favorite designer?   Answer Question