Nordstrom

Average Difficulty
321 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Providence, RI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in April 2013.

Interview Details – There was a phone interview. Then they had me come into the store to interview. Once I was there they told me it would be a panel of six asking me questions. They then had me do a mock sales situation to see what my style was like.

Interview Question – All the questions were the same as the phone interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – they asked what department I would like to be in.

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Nordstrom in February 2013.

Interview Details – Was originally interviewed for Retail Management Internship. Had one phone interview then a panel interview with HR assistant manager and 2-3 department managers (one of which was a previous intern). Questions were very basic and I felt extremely confident. However, I was instead given a position as a sales associate in the new Savvy department.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a co-worker who was not doing well sales wise.   View Answer

West Palm Beach, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in February 2011.

Interview Details – submit application on line, do a phone interview and then go in to interview with the department manager.

Interview Question – why do you want to work in __________________ department?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no real negotiation, there is a set salary and the ability to make commission.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – Applied for stylist position. Unfortunately the manager is out in maternity leave. But interview was easy overall. Over the phone. Then in person hr&dept. Then was offered sales position

Interview Question – Mock sale on the floor to dept manager   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – Interviewed with Department Manager and Store Manager. After an initial online assessment, advanced to the next stage.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – First email, then phone interview, then a group and single interview.

Interview Question – What is your expected salary?   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Nordstrom in November 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was short and sweet and to the point. I interviewed with HR first and then both accessories department managers.

Negotiation Details – None

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – Interview Process is quite long. You go through 4 interviews before you know if you got the job or not. First phone interview with HR associate, then in person interview with the HR associate, after in person interview with the dept manager, and lastly with the store manager. They all ask you essentially the same questions and it can get very reduntant. Dept manager asks different types of questions and incorporates selling exercises into it as well.

Interview Question – They catch you off guard when you are interviewing with the dept manager. They ask you several selling questions, i.e. sell me this product etc. You have to be able to think on your toes, even if you have no idea what on earth you are selling.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Nordstrom in May 2012.

Interview Details – As you probably know they have hundreds of thousands of applicants so I called the store and asked to speak to HR to possibly get an interview while I was in town. They gladly pulled my application and set an appointment.

Interview Question – They mostly test your fashion knowledge; favorite designers, magazines you subscribe to, sales experience etc. Nordstrom is very diverse an open-minded so interviews don't feel like you are being interrogated, more like a great conversation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiations it's strictly commission based pay.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – A phone interview that lasted 15 minutes and included very basic questions. A second in-person interview lasted 20 minutes. I was asked to 'sell' something to the dept. manager. I was hired within a week.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Sales are 100% commission-based.