Nordstrom

Getting the Interview

304 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a call back a week later. HR called and asked me why i wanted to work at nordstrom.how do I feel it being comission based. tell me a time i handled a difficult customer. tell me a time i did not achieve a goal. tell me a time i was in a competitive environment. then she gave me an offer to come in the store for an in person interview at the end.

East Orange, NJ

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom in October 2013.

Interview Details – Just had interview today. Should have looked on Glassdoor first!! Did not do well because did not have answers prepared for these questions. Lesson learned! Best bet is to have your "stories" prepared and ready to go! Good luck! I know a great place to work once you get in!

Interview Question –
Why do you want to work at Nordstrom's?
Tell me about a time you were compared to a coworker. How did it affect you?
Tell me about a time you dealt with an upset customer?
How do you feel about commissioned pay?

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you made a mistake and what did you do to fix it? What were the results?
Tell me about a time you were compared to a coworker. How did it affect you?
  Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – The application took a while due to the questionnaire. If your application is accepted, you will schedule a phone interview where they ask basic questions about your past work experience, availability, etc. Then you will come in and have an interview with somebody from HR followed by the manager of the department that they see you working well in. There are no unexpected questions.

Interview Question – Be prepared to sell your interviewer something on the floor.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The commission percentage is fixed per department.

Very Easy Interview

Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in October 2013.

Interview Details – lots of training classes

Negotiation Details – that i have alot of work experence

Spokane, WA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in March 2009.

Interview Details – Hiring is very thorough, they have a very political human resources department, and are very carfule not to discriminate. Usually they entire process takes a couple of weeks and several interviews to make sure you are the right fit and caliber to work for this company.

Interview Question – Would you recomend this company to someone in the future?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – apply online. then have a phone interview with HR and then an in person interview with the manager and store manager

Interview Question – tell me about a difficult situation you had with a customer and how you fixed it   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in May 2011.

Interview Details – It was quick and easy from the HR to the manager of the department of interest back to the HR to meet the Store Manager to a hiring date

Beaverton, OR

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in June 2009.

Interview Details – applied and was interviewed at that time. very professional. told that I would get a call back.
did the next day.

Interview Question – nothing too difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Newport Beach, CA

I interviewed at Nordstrom in August 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview, then in-person interview.

Interview Question – What have you done to go above any beyond for a customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not bad.

Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – Applied online, emailed the next day to set up phone interview for the next day. Asked to interview for a different department than I applied for which was fine. Went in and interviewed with someone from the store's HR had some small talk which went well, interview seemed to go well and was asked to interview with the department's manager. Interviewed with the manager and then she took me to the floor to show me around and "sell" an item. She said I did well and would be contacted by the end of the week. I didn't receive a call until the following week and missed it. When I called back I didn't get the job.

Interview Question – They like to ask you about competition and team work because of the commission pay.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Nordstrom