Nordstrom Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Sep 26, 2014

2.5

336 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in January 2014.

Interviewed with Rep and Store Manager. Both were very nice. Ask a few personal and professional questions on shopping, etc.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing too difficult. What is my favorite place to shop.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

First email, then phone interview, then a group and single interview.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Process is quite long. You go through 4 interviews before you know if you got the job or not. First phone interview with HR associate, then in person interview with the HR associate, after in person interview with the dept manager, and lastly with the store manager. They all ask you essentially the same questions and it can get very reduntant. Dept manager asks different types of questions and incorporates selling exercises into it as well.

Interview Questions
    • They catch you off guard when you are interviewing with the dept manager. They ask you several selling questions, i.e. sell me this product etc. You have to be able to think on your toes, even if you have no idea what on earth you are selling.   Answer Question
    None.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

A phone interview that lasted 15 minutes and included very basic questions. A second in-person interview lasted 20 minutes. I was asked to 'sell' something to the dept. manager. I was hired within a week.

No negotiation. Sales are 100% commission-based.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in November 2013.

Applied online and got a call 2 days later from a super nice HR person. Got interviewed right on the spot unexpectedly but they were incredibly easy questions. Asked to come in for an interview the next day in the afternoon and fill out a questionnaire online. Again, met with HR who were so nice and sweet and made me feel really comfortable. She asked me around 6 or 7 typical interviewer questions. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. And she hired me on the spot. She didn't ask me to sell her anything and I didn't meet with a department manager like I thought I would. The interview lasted around 30 minutes. She did, however, contact my references. But that was really about it.

Make sure you wear trendy business casual to the interview as well. You want to make a great, professional first impression but you also want to show you have a fashion sense.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Nordstrom? Tell me about a time you went out of your way to do something that you weren't required to do at work. Tell me about a time you had to work with a team but didn't meet your team goals. What is your proudest achievement at work? What is the best quality you have that would help you achieve your goals here at Nordstrom?   Answer Question
    I didn't have to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sandy Springs, Fulton, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sandy Springs, Fulton, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in November 2013.

Got called the same day I applied. Did a quick phone interview asking about past experiences. Then went in the next day to interview with department manager. She basically asked the same questions as the HR person over the phone. Then did some role playing on the floor. She asked me to sell her something.

Another job offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Nordstrom in November 2013.

The interview process was short and sweet and to the point. I interviewed with HR first and then both accessories department managers.

None

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in November 2013.

Very laid back, easy going and friendly. Arrived to Customer Experience and waited to be escorted to the back of Nordstrom. The manager arrived not long afterwards and led me back to a small room with a table and two chairs and we sat down and she asked me various questions about my experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you helped a disgruntled customer, how did you turn it around?   Answer Question
    It was very relaxed and easy.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Applied online and got a call back a week later. HR called and asked me why i wanted to work at nordstrom.how do I feel it being comission based. tell me a time i handled a difficult customer. tell me a time i did not achieve a goal. tell me a time i was in a competitive environment. then she gave me an offer to come in the store for an in person interview at the end.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom.

The application took a while due to the questionnaire. If your application is accepted, you will schedule a phone interview where they ask basic questions about your past work experience, availability, etc. Then you will come in and have an interview with somebody from HR followed by the manager of the department that they see you working well in. There are no unexpected questions.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to sell your interviewer something on the floor.   Answer Question
    The commission percentage is fixed per department.