Nordstrom Sales Person Interview Questions

Updated Jul 26, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Novi, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Novi, MI) in April 2015.

Interview

I sat with the department manager and went over my past work experience, did some merchandising and role play. She got back to me via email. Training was watching a few videos and job shadowing other employees.

Interview Questions

• tell me about a challenging moment at your previous job?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Sales Person Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

It's been years since, so honestly I can't remember it all too well. I had a phone interview with HR, then they scheduled me a time to sit down in person. A woman from HR met me at the Nordstrom E-bar then proceeded to ask me a series of questions. It was a pretty standard interview, just remember to smile lots and really think about your responses. Don't ramble! Keep your answers short and concise. Afterwards, she asked me if I had time to meet with the dept. manager of the dept I was applying with. Of course I said yes, then I had my last face-to-face interview with the dept. manager. A few hours later I got a call from the dept. manager offering me a job on her sales team.

Sales Person Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview

About a 5 day process. Applied online and was called to come in for an interview in their trend fashion department. Basic questions about experience, customer service, commission, and teamwork. The second interview consisted of a styling exercise. I was given a certain type of customer (30 yrs. old, weekend attire, size, etc.) and had 5 minutes to gather at least 4 outfits that exceeded a price. Then I had to assemble them in a dressing room and explain why I chose them and how I would sell them to the customer. A little bit nerve-racking but as long as you go with your gut and think on your feet it's fun! At the end of the interview however, they told me that the trend department job had been filled (during my interview apparently???) but a position in the jewelry department was available. Of course I agreed to interview for that as well but I found that very unprofessional and the jewelry interview very lackluster in retrospect.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with the competition in your department for commission and how would you handle commission from a customer if they wanted to move onto another department?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Durham, NC) in June 2014.

Interview

Had one interview. Asked why I chose to work at Nordstrom. Role played as if I already had the job. Manager played the customer and I had to help her find an outfit to wear for a certain event.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you were put in a difficult situation on the job.   Answer Question

Sales Person Interview

Interview

HR interview, then interview with department manager then store manager. 3 small interviews before hired. You will move on interview to interview if they feel you are a good fit. Looking presentable is nearly as important as being qualified. They desire self motivated and competitive employees.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Everything that said on this website.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

commission with $9.80 base pay.

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Bethesda, MD) in October 2013.

Interview

I applied online for the position in BP. It was a seasonal position. A couple days later, I got a phone call from human resourses and she basically did a phone screening and she asked questions like why am I interested, what is my favorite department, if I am currently employed and what is my availability. After that, she asked if I could come in the next day for an interview. You need to dress professionally. I had two interviews, one with HR and one with the department manager of BP. She asked questions like if I had ever worked in a competitive environment, what do I know about nordstrom, name a time when I dealt with an unhappy customer, and how I felt about commission. I later waited about 10 minutes for the department manager and she asked the same questions. She later took me out to the floor and showed me around and then we roled played where she was a customer and I was a sales person. I had to basically pick an outfit and try to sell it to her and point out the pros and cons of the outfit. Overall it was a great experience. Nice people

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you were competitive and name a time where you dealt with an unhappy customer and how did you turn it around   Answer Question

Negotiation

During the interview, they tell you how much the pay is. Each department is different. I am paid hourly and there are bonuses each month if your department does well

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Portland, OR) in May 2013.

Interview

10 minute phone interview. I was asked why I wanted the job. Why fashion? Could I sell the credit card? Then I was recommended for an interview the next week. It was called a group interview. But it was simply a hiring event really. about 15 people came, we were indoctrinated then pulled apart for individual interviews. Went, I was asked to decide which department manager I wanted to work with/for. Then I interviewed with her. She brought in an article of clothing and asked me to sell it to her.

Interview Questions

• It is a pretty easy job to get, just act excited about fashion and being able to sell. That is all they want to know about you.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. You get paid just above minimum plus a percentage of commission (in most departments 6.75) which you can plan on never making. You start off temporary, so during that time try to remain excited about customers, sales and fashion. And a lot of times the customer is the most positive thing about the job.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

Applied online and was scheduled for an initial phone screening with HR. Was asked to come in for an in person interview with HR rep. Department manager called me later that day to schedule an interview with her for the very next day. I was offered the position on the spot.

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nordstrom (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

Getting a face-to-face interview proved difficult and I had to use my contacts already within Nordstom to help. Eventually, I showed up at the store and asked to see an HR representative, stating that a friend in HR at another store directed me to do so. I had a job in no time.