Nordstrom

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Person

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – About a 5 day process. Applied online and was called to come in for an interview in their trend fashion department. Basic questions about experience, customer service, commission, and teamwork. The second interview consisted of a styling exercise. I was given a certain type of customer (30 yrs. old, weekend attire, size, etc.) and had 5 minutes to gather at least 4 outfits that exceeded a price. Then I had to assemble them in a dressing room and explain why I chose them and how I would sell them to the customer. A little bit nerve-racking but as long as you go with your gut and think on your feet it's fun! At the end of the interview however, they told me that the trend department job had been filled (during my interview apparently???) but a position in the jewelry department was available. Of course I agreed to interview for that as well but I found that very unprofessional and the jewelry interview very lackluster in retrospect.

Interview Question – How would you deal with the competition in your department for commission and how would you handle commission from a customer if they wanted to move onto another department?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Nordstrom

Interview Details – HR interview, then interview with department manager then store manager. 3 small interviews before hired. You will move on interview to interview if they feel you are a good fit. Looking presentable is nearly as important as being qualified. They desire self motivated and competitive employees.

Interview Question – Favorite clothing brands   Answer Question

Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in May 2013.

Interview Details – 10 minute phone interview. I was asked why I wanted the job. Why fashion? Could I sell the credit card? Then I was recommended for an interview the next week. It was called a group interview. But it was simply a hiring event really. about 15 people came, we were indoctrinated then pulled apart for individual interviews. Went, I was asked to decide which department manager I wanted to work with/for. Then I interviewed with her. She brought in an article of clothing and asked me to sell it to her.

Interview Question – It is a pretty easy job to get, just act excited about fashion and being able to sell. That is all they want to know about you.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. You get paid just above minimum plus a percentage of commission (in most departments 6.75) which you can plan on never making. You start off temporary, so during that time try to remain excited about customers, sales and fashion. And a lot of times the customer is the most positive thing about the job.

Bethesda, MD

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online for the position in BP. It was a seasonal position. A couple days later, I got a phone call from human resourses and she basically did a phone screening and she asked questions like why am I interested, what is my favorite department, if I am currently employed and what is my availability. After that, she asked if I could come in the next day for an interview. You need to dress professionally. I had two interviews, one with HR and one with the department manager of BP. She asked questions like if I had ever worked in a competitive environment, what do I know about nordstrom, name a time when I dealt with an unhappy customer, and how I felt about commission. I later waited about 10 minutes for the department manager and she asked the same questions. She later took me out to the floor and showed me around and then we roled played where she was a customer and I was a sales person. I had to basically pick an outfit and try to sell it to her and point out the pros and cons of the outfit. Overall it was a great experience. Nice people

Interview Question – Name a time where you were competitive and name a time where you dealt with an unhappy customer and how did you turn it around   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – During the interview, they tell you how much the pay is. Each department is different. I am paid hourly and there are bonuses each month if your department does well

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – Everything that said on this website.

Interview Question – nothing was unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – commission with $9.80 base pay.

Cincinnati, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Nordstrom in November 2011.

Interview Details – I was convinced into applying by a friend who had recently began with the company. Within a day or two, the human resources assistant manager called and we had a phone interview. She asked me to come in the following day for an in-person interview. Due to my schedule, I couldn't and we settled on a time next week.

Once I arrived, I had my initial interview with the assistant of HR. Once that was completed, she told me she would then find a manager who would like to interview with me. I applied for a position in Mens but that manager decided she didn't want to interview me. Finally, a manager for a Womens department arrived. We interviewed then he showed me around the store.

He told me he'd be in touch within a couple of days. I interviewed early in the week and was told I had the job by the end. I began the following Monday.

Interview Question – They tend to ask for very specific examples of selling experience.   Answer Question

Minneapolis, MN

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Interview Details – Getting a face-to-face interview proved difficult and I had to use my contacts already within Nordstom to help. Eventually, I showed up at the store and asked to see an HR representative, stating that a friend in HR at another store directed me to do so. I had a job in no time.

Interview Question – How would I sell a certain shirt to someone.   Answer Question

Tampa, FL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in July 2010.

Interview Details – I applied on-line and a few days later I was called by the human resources department and had a quick phone interview, then was asked to come in for an in person interview with human resources. The one on one interview with H.R. went really well, she was so easy to talk to and it felt more like a nice conversation rather than an interview. After that she set up an interview with the dept. manager. That went really well too.
I was called the next day and offered the job.

Interview Question – Describe you most sucessful sales experience?   Answer Question

Natick, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in May 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online to several open positions and was contacted fairly quickly for a sales position in the shoe department. I had a phone interview and then was scheduled for a face to face interview. I met with the HR manager who was very nice and we had a very relaxed conversation. I did research what some of the questions might be and I was glad I did because I was definately prepared. She then asked what other departments I might be interested in and I said clothing. She brought in the Mgr of a women's clothing dept and again had a very relaxed, back and forth type interview. She then asked me to go on the floor and do a role play of selling an outfit. I think the whole thing went really well. I have called twice and they will be making a decision in the next couple of days. I hope I get the job or they at least refer me to another dept!

Interview Questions

Sales Person

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in March 2011.

Interview Details – I received a preliminary phone call interview from the assistant department manager. The interview went well and a face to face interview was scheduled with the department manager. I met with the department manager and had a one on one interview. It was followed by a small overview and tour of the job tasks and site respectively.

Interview Question – What was the most difficult customer experience and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!