Nordstrom Salesperson Interview Questions & Reviews

13 interviews

2.6

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Nordstrom in June 2013.

Submitted online application, received email to schedule a phone interview. This was then done a few days later through Skype phone calling will still abroad in France. I think there was a second phone interview as well..? Interviewed a two locations the morning after flying back home. At the first location, was suddenly asked to sell an fake sell an item to the manager. Was caught off guard, and didn't do so well. Second interview at Flagship didn't have me do this (though I noticed they do with some, not with others). Wasn't extended a position from the first location, but got the job at the second about a week after the interview.

Interview Questions
  • What you would consider your strengths/weaknesses, have you ever had a conflict with a manager or co-worker, and if so, how did you resolve it?   View Answer
Was my first retail job, so there was no negotiation. However, I heard that if you are more experienced, it's possible to do so with your base pay.

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in December 2013.

After applying, I received a phone call from the human resources department of the store that I applied at. I was asked basic interview questions (tell me about yourself, what interests you about Nordstrom, etc.) After the phone interview I received an email inviting me to a face-to-face interview. When I came in I was first interviewed by human resources. I was asked similar questions to the phone interview, but I did get some more difficult questions going over what qualities I possess and why I would be a good fit. I was also asked about past experiences and situations and how I handled them. After that interview, I was then immediately interviewed by the department manager of the department that I applied for. The manager asked me similar questions initially but then proceeded to ask me about fashion and how it affects my life. Then I was asked about why I applied for that specific department and then I was given hypothetical scenarios that involved using my selling skills and customer service knowledge. After that interview, I waited in the room alone for a few minutes until the department manager came back in and offered me the job right at that moment.

Interview Questions
    • I had a yellow folder with my resume in it during the interview. I was asked about what I would do to sell someone that folder. And once I answered I was asked about what I would do to ensure that I close the sale.   Answer Question

Salesperson Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Online application, received an email to set up a phone interview. After this I was asked to come in for an in person interview and I first interviewed with the assistant HR manager. After this interview the department manager was called up and I interviewed with him. All three interviews had similar questions. Focus of questions is on competition, teamwork, selling and service.

Interview Questions
    • You have to sell the department manager interviewing you something.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation the position was draw against commission.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tigard, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tigard, OR

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in April 2013.

Initially I applied online, then was called by HR for an interview at a specific store. I went to that interview, where I was asked very standard non-difficult questions. The interview lasted about 45 minutes. A week later, a manager from the At Home department called me for another interview. That interview was with him and one other floor manager. These questions were all related directly to sales/customer service. This interview lasted about one hour. Afterwards, we walked over to the department and he asked me to sell him something (role play). A week later he called to offer me the position.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were hard, but make sure you emphasize that you love working with people, that customers come first, and that you shop at Nordstrom.   Answer Question
    No negotiation possible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in January 2011.

Was referred in. Applied online and was contacted by the manager. First interview was with the assistant manager. Then I met with manager for a one on one interview. I was offered the job and went through new hire orientation the next week.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was pretty straight forward. Focused on customer service and fast-paced environment experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in June 2012.

I had two interviews with two different department managers. They had me put together outfits or practice selling an item such as a clipboard.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time you found yourself needing to make a compromise with others?   Answer Question
    No negotiating. There is base pay if commission does not exceed the base pay wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mission Viejo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mission Viejo, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Starts online. Then, contacted for a phone interview -- not too intimidating. In-person interview: spoke with the HR manager, then the manager of the department I wanted to work in (Kidswear). I had no retail experience, so I was surprised that they hired me without any concerns. They were mostly concerned with personality, work ethic, and personal values. I had worked with kids before, and stressed that I was patient and enjoyed working with people. Dress fashionably but professional!

Interview Questions
    There is no compensation negotiation. Beginning salespeople are told exactly how they are paid -- it differs by department, but most are commission-based.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in November 2012.

I've always wanted to work for Nordstrom because it is one of my favorite stores and I constantly hear that it is a great place to work for! I applied online for multiple positions and became a bit discouraged as I was getting a lot of automated emails saying that I wasn't selected for an interview. Then, I was finally contacted about a Cosmetic Artistry position that I had applied for. An email prompted me to schedule a phone interview.

An HR associated called me at my interview time and asked many questions regarding my skills and experience. He also asked me questions pertaining to the job description.

I received a call from a Department Manager the next day to set up an in-person interview. I was confused at first because she had called me from an apparel department and my interview had been a full-time position in cosmetics. My interview questions were all pertaining to cosmetics as well. Nonetheless, I was excited for the opportunity so went in for the in-person interview scheduled for a week later.

The interview lasted about 45 minutes. She asked some of the same questions as the HR associate so I felt very prepared.

She called me back the next day to tell me that there would be a formal job offer pending background and reference check. I received the offer a couple days later!

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you were disappointed and how you dealt with it (I couldn't think of any appropriate professional references so stumbled over this one and made it a personal example)   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Novi, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in May 2012.

First you fill out the online application, wait for a phone call that schedules your phone interview. Then go to 2 interviews and finally go through the nordstrom training. It was really time consuming and the training wasnt very helpful.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to go above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question
    NO negotion. They offer you money.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in February 2012.

The interview questions were very similar throughout the 3 interviews I did -- ex, tell me about a time you went above and beyond a customer's expectations. Relate all questions back to giving outstanding customer service and they will like that

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a time you went above and beyond a customers expectations   View Answer
    • how do you feel about working in a commission based environment?   View Answer

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!