Nordstrom Seasonal Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2014

2.8

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Found job posting online using nordstrom's career page. After applying I received a phone call asking me if I was available to come in for an interview a week later. I came in, and there were multiple positions to interview for, each at a table that a person could wait to approach. I interviewed with a few and eventually got an offer from the @home department. Upon discussing with many others in the company the multiple tables/interviews thing was unusual.

Interview Questions
  • Explain to me why you would feel comfortable selling a 2000 piece of merchandise.   View Answer
Not available.

Other Interview Reviews for Nordstrom

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nordstrom in November 2013.

I have about a year of customer service experience, but none specifically in retail. I applied online for a position as a Seasonal Sales Associate in BP at my local Nordstrom. About a week later on a Friday I received an e-mail to schedule a phone "screening" with Human Resources. Went to the link to schedule a date and time. Monday at 1 p.m. The woman I spoke with called right on time and was very polite. She asked basic questions covered here. Why do you want to work for Nordstrom? Name a time when you went above and beyond for a customer? What is your availability? etc. It was about 5 minutes long, super short. At the end of it she asked me to schedule an in-person interview with HR for the next day. I met with a very nice man from HR who took me down to a room in Customer Service for the interview. He asked me many of the same questions, including one about why I wanted to work in BP. He told me he would go get the department manager if she was available so I could meet her in person. He came back and said she was busy with a customer, but that she would call me soon to discuss if she wanted to move forward. He basically explained that he weeds out people to talk to the department manager and she decides if she wants to meet with them based on his notes. The assistant department manager called me the next day and explained that my availability didn't fit in with what they needed, but she could refer me back to HR to find another position. I told her my availability was flexible and we worked it out. She asked me to come in for an interview the next afternoon. I met with her and the department manager for the interview. Slightly intimidating, but they were both young and super friendly. They asked me the same kinds of questions as HR. Mostly behavioral questions about how I have dealt with customers and coworkers in the past. They took me out to the sales floor and asked me to pick out 3 outfits for a girl on a first date. There wasn't a time limit or anything specific about the outfits. I picked out 3 outfits I thought were cute and came to show them. They asked me why I picked them and asked questions about how I would handle the customer. These questions were mostly about how to close the sale and how to communicate with other people. Not too difficult. They said they would get back to me soon because I was the last person they interviewed and to expect a phone call. When I got home I had already had an e-mail from Nordstrom asking for more information from me. It was a form asking birthdate, SS number, and references. As far as I know, they didn't call my references. The next day I got a call from the department manager in the morning offering me the job! My training starts next week. Overall, it was a positive experience. I tend to be nervous in interviews, but everyone was very nice and open to answering any questions I had during the entire process.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about commission were tough because I had no prior specific retail experience or any commission experience.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Your check is all commission and if you don't make sales goals then you get a base rate per hour.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in November 2013.

Applied online for a couple seasonal positions. Got an e-mail a week later asking me to schedule a telephone interview. Telephone interview was with someone from HR who asked basic questions: Why Nordstrom, What my experience was, Was I comfortable with commissioned sales, etc. Then she scheduled me for an in-person interview with the HR manager at the store I was interested in. I interviewed with him and it was the same kind of questions. Situational questions about customer service experience and how I would handle difficult customers. Then he said he would give my information to the managers in charge of the department I was interviewing for (BP) and that I should come in for another interview with them. I came in a few days later and met with the manager and assistant manager of BP. We went into a room and they both interviewed me at the same time. They asked the same basic questions and it wasn't too formal. Then they had me go to the department and they described someone who might be shopping and asked me to pick some outfits for her and her theoretical situations (movie date, going to a festival, etc.). I took about 15 minutes and picked outfits out. Make sure you make full outfits! Accessories, jewelry, bags, jackets, etc. I made 3 outfits and explained to them why I chose them for each situation. They asked a couple questions about them and that was it. We said polite goodbyes and I waited to hear back. The next day, I got a call from the BP manager that I got the job! My training was that same week and things moved quickly because I was seasonal and they needed more employees. Overall, just emphasize your customer service skills and how you can best help the customers no matter what department you're in.

Interview Questions
    • I was expecting the role-playing situation, but I still was nervous about it. I was also asked to elaborate on quite a few of my answers, so be thorough.   View Answer
    No negotiation, it's strictly commission and if you don't hit your numbers they pay you an hourly rate, usually minimum wage. Seasonal employees make 1% less commission than the other regular employees.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Nordstrom.

Filled out online application, was contacted within minutes to set up phone interview. During phone interview was asked typical questions like "why nordstrom" and "tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer service problem." Was called in for an in-store interview next weekend. Have not been to in-store interview yet and I have not been offered a position yet.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were compared directly with someone else.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Nordstrom in June 2013.

I was interviewed by a lady who was 2 years older than me. We had many things in common. It was basically very easy since it was a seasonal job for I was only hired to work for the Anniversary Sale. Basic Interview questions which mainly deal with availability. I would suggest saying open availability.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you had to pick up the slack of your co-workers and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    Commission based job

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in May 2013.

First you'll be contacted by an HR representative for a phone interview. I found that she most enthusiastically responded to 1) anything emphasizing the importance of customer service (Nordstrom is known for being big on this) and 2) being motivated to set goals and then exceed them. Because many sales associate jobs are commission based and can be competitive for getting sales, they want to see someone who is motivated by this type of environment and who wants to succeed in maximizing sales. Then they schedule you to come in for an interview with the department manager you'll likely be working with, who will ask similar questions. Be prepared to be knowledgeable about the brands and products sold in the department you're interviewing for. They'll then bring you out to the floor and have you do a mock sale (put together an outfit and try to sell it to the manager). It really helped me to go on the Nordstrom website prior to the interview and see what kinds of pieces were being put together in the catalog, so that I could put together something that I knew the manager would approve of. Of course always be polite, and enthusiastic about selling your product. You'll do great!

Interview Questions
    • "If you weren't meeting your sales goals, what would be your course of action?"   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Short Hills, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Short Hills, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Nordstrom in May 2012.

Applied online, had a phone interview to mostly set up an in person interview and see basic availability for the position. Interview was first with the HR recruiter and then I met with the department manager who showed me around the department and then I had an interview with. In person interview was some behavioral. Like examples of me working on a team, why Nordstrom. The key was to keep everything focused on the customer. Customer service is their number one priority so just weave everything into framing yourself in a way that will give customers the best service, being understanding/patient/kind. The second interview with the department manager was more focused on what do I know about the industry/selling clothes. Asked me a bit about selling, fashion, what do customers like, how to sell. It was my first job and I didn't know much and he understood that. A lot of stuff is learned on the job with experience. Just show you can be friendly and understanding and willing to learn.

Interview Questions
    • What 3 things persuade customers to buy clothes? (who makes it, is it popular)   Answer Question

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!