Nordstrom Interview Questions in Seattle, WA

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.6

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom (Seattle, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online. I heard back from a recruiter and got thru the first step which was the phone interview. I passed that which was pretty simple. The second step was a face/face interview with a woman who would be my boss. The first thing I noticed was how undressed I was, and I was wearing a dress! I seriously thought these woman were going to a formal event! I know that they work in the fashion industry, but it made me very nervous. There were general questions about customer service. However, I did notice that they shifts were very early in the morning (5:30), and there were certain times in the year were you couldn't take off for vacation. When I explained to her that I took the bus and I'm not even sure they run that early, me that she didn't care. She kept saying that "customers are only thing here." My recruiter had told me that I would be fine for Christmas, and the woman flat out told me NO. Yeah, save to say we really didn't get along. I still really love the company, but I haven't been called back.

Work At Home Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Received a call for a phone interview. Interviewed on the phone. Received and email for authorization on background check. Received another call for virtual interview and next day I received a call that I got the job.

Ecommerce Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Interview

I was out of the running for the job as soon as I walked in and they saw I was not a 30-something; at that point they had no interest in talking to me. I am a National Award winner at the job I interviewed for, and had every skill set in the application. This is not a customer-facing or storefront position, rather it is eCommerce. So imagine my surprise at their age-ist hiring practices. I had 5 different people, and not one of them would look me in the eye once they came in and met me, and not one of them asked in-depth questions about my experience or what I felt I could do for the team. I had been warned that they were very age discriminatory, but chose to disbelieve it, until my interview. Sad Nordstrom, just...disappointed in your age discrimination.

Interview Questions

• If you could describe yourself in one word what would it be?   Answer Question

Work At Home Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom (Bellevue, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application online and received an email which prompted me to set up a day and time for a phone interview within 24 hours. The email with the scheduling information mentions that you should allow the interviewer 2 hours to contact you, however, my interviewer was very prompt and called me exactly one minute after the time I requested. The phone interview took about 30 minutes and the questions were largely about work history, typical questions about times that you have provided exceptional customer service, times you've had to deal with challenging customers, why you think you are an ideal candidate for the position, etc. Essentially all of the questions that you would expect to be asked in an interview for any retail or customer service-based position. The one thing to keep in mind is that you should be able to explain why you want to work for Nordstrom specifically - they don't want general stories about why you like retail in general. There are also quite a few questions to make sure you have the technology and environment you would need to set up a quiet and effective at-home customer service center. If they like you in the phone interview, they will send you an email with two skills tests. One focuses on your writing skills (spelling, grammar, business language, etc.) and the other is to test your ability to multitask effectively. I STRONGLY suggest you take notes throughout this whole process (yes, even the writing test). I messed up on a couple important details that were established at the beginning and believe that those missed details are what cost me the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you went above and beyond for a customer   Answer Question

Senior Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

Interview

I'm not sure if the interview process is uniform across corporate headquarters - but here's my experience. I had a phone screen with the hiring manager (who is a director). This went well, so after that, I met for lunch with him and 2 potential colleagues. I think they did this to keep the process moving along while they coordinated my interview day (which they call an "audition") and to see if there was a cultural fit. Lunch went well - casual but focused. Shortly after that, I went in for my "audition" with technical team members and business/product people. The day (which lasted about 4 hours including lunch) focused on some real world needs they have, and I had to come up with and action plan. It was very collaborative, and a good way for us to assess each other. This was a very different type of interview than the one I experienced at Amazon (where I'm coming from), as we got a lot of the "behavioral" type questions out of the way. I liked the format because they got to see how I actually think and work, and I got a lot of context and a good sense of what their expectations and needs are. They came back with an offer in a few days which I accepted. Overall, the experience was very positive.

Interview Questions

• Develop a roadmap that will drive the execution of our work backlog.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process was fairly straight forward. Rather than a one on one interview, my experience was through a panel. Questions were standard - managers were friendly and engaging. Each manager asked two questions, ranging from your previous work experience, personal/professional accomplishments and how you value customer service. Overall, it was an informative and friendly experience.

Seasonal Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom (Lynnwood, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online, and then within the next day got an e-mail for a phone interview. Set up that, the phone called lasted 5 minutes, only asking a few questions. Met two weeks later for a one-on-one interview. Asked the same questions and then some more. I turned down the offer because I was looking for something with more stable hours but it seems like a pretty good job.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you when above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Service Experience Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

Had a screening phone call. Met with one HR person the following week. Got a call from HR and met with the HR manager the next week. Standard STAR interviews. Was told that they would get back to me by Wednesday. I followed up on Thursday and finally heard back on Friday afternoon that they decided to fill the position internally. She did ask if I might be interested in any other jobs as she was impressed and thought I would be a great addition to the store. I personally would have trouble working for someone who is poor on following up with others. Someone should be as good as their word and if they aren't able to do what they say they will do then they need to let you know. I declined the offer of another job in sales in Nordstrom.

Interview Questions

• What is one word that you would use to describe yourself?   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom (Seattle, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received an email two days later asking me to schedule a phone interview time with them. I scheduled it for the next day, and waited for the call. The person who called me was from HR, and she just asked me some very general questions. She was mainly interested in my availability, specifically during the month of July. The phone interview took a total of about 5 minutes, after which she asked to schedule an in-person interview with me. As I am currently in college, she asked when I was going to be back home, and scheduled the interview for then.

Cosmetics Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nordstrom (Tukwila, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

Initial phone interview was extremely brief. I was asked 3 questions about availability and how I feel about working on commission and then was told "I've enjoyed talking with you and would like to invite you for an in-person interview." Quite the screening process! At the in-person interview the manager rushed through it and spent a total of 12 minutes with me. She asked me some behavioral questions like what I would do in certain situations. At the end of the interview she didn't even ask me if I had any questions for her...I thought that was strange.