Nordstrom Interview Questions in Seattle, WA

Updated Mar 19, 2015

2.6

Cosmetic Information Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in March 2015.

Applied online. Invited to test for position. I took a math, Excel, and 10 key test. I was not invited to interview as I did not, apparently, get an 80% score on the math portion of the test, though I exceeded 80% in Excel and 10 key. The test questions seemed irrelevant to the position. This position should read "Financial Mathematical Information Specialist", not Cosmetic Information Specialist. I can explain dimethicone and its use in cosmetics and skincare products. I know why parabens are used in products. I know how to use a 10 key and could teach Excel. But not being great at mental math = no interview. It had nothing to do with cosmetics or being able to impart information to employees or consumers.

Interview Questions
    • To take a math, Excel, and 10 key test.   View Answer
    • 192 is what percent of $1962.41? Who knows? I was told no calculators or other tools would be allowed. The tests are timed, though you aren't permitted to see the timer. And there is no guarantee that your test score will be accurate as the testing company can only guarantee your scores will be accurate when used with Internet Explorer, which isn't available for Mac computers. Volt, the testing company, doesn't actively support Safari or any other browser.   View Answer

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in March 2015.

They asked detailed questions about my sale experiences. I had 3 interviews. 1 was on the phone and other two was face to face with managers. I took 3 weeks long.

Merchandising and Planning Headquarter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Nordstrom in February 2015.

I applied early December I received an email to record a video interview in the last week in January. They had prerecorded questions, you had 30 seconds to prepare your answer, and then they gave you a certain amount of time to answer. Unfortunately, the timing allotted to questions seemed off and needs reevaluating. Short answer questions got 3 minutes and long answer questions got 1 minute. About 2 weeks later, I received a follow up email asking me to schedule a panel interview at Headquarters. If you weren't local you could do another video interview, however I was, so I did the in person interview. I sat at the head of the table with two other Nordstrom employees. The panel interview had a strict 30 minutes to it. They asked me several questions on different skills that this position requires and how I have used them effectively in my education and work experience. I think if you didn't have training in merchandise acquisition and supply chain management, this interview would be difficult. Then about 3 weeks after my interview I received an email offering me the internship.

Interview Questions
    • What tools do you use to stay up on current trends and get inspiration from? And who is your style icon?   Answer Question

Retail Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in February 2015.

Applied online. I was contacted soon after for a digital interview. I then received an email saying I had moved on to the in-person interview stage. First part of the in-person interview was a panel interview with three employees - a department manager, and two others. They asked typical behavior questions, specifically about selling. The second part was a selling simulation with a styling manager in which I was told to pick an item from a rack and sell it. I am awaiting a response to see if I am accepted into the internship program.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom in January 2015.

I completed an online questionare/test. Most of the questions were customer service related and were multiple choice. I think the main objective was to weed out people who didn't have the tools to work everyday with people and in a fast paced, competitive work environment where you are asked to do anything and everything and where you have to be super flexible with your schedule as well as being able to deal with angry customers and maintain a very professional attitude no matter what. After submitting the test I was then contacted to set up a phone interview. I was asked a variety of questions such as explain why you want to work for Nordstrom, explain a time when you were a part of a team and you went above and beyond what was expected of you and what role you played and if business was slow how would you generate sales. I was then contacted via email to set up another day and time to have a 1:1. The questions were generally the same. One of the questions I was asked was to name a time when I was part of a team, the role I played and how I contributed. I was also asked why they should hire me over someone else as well as how I felt about commission and working in a competitive environment. I was contacted a final time to set up an additional interview with the head of the department but unfortunately I had already been offered a position with another company I had been interviewing with.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when I was able to contribute to a team and the outcome.   Answer Question

I had a final interview in place but was offered a position with another company I was interviewing with at the same time and wasn't in the position to decline and hope that another offer would come thru

Team Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in January 2015.

it was a bad experience with a strong head who is a principal consultant but have no people skills. I like one Indian guy, i think he is a office administrator who was polite and served coffee. Team has no focus on what to expect from the candidate. Half of thea interview panel was sleeping during the interview. worst part is vendors play bigger role in this company than employees.

Project Manager for Digital Analytic Systems Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Nordstrom in January 2015.

Nordstrom recruiter located me on LinkedIn.com and sent me an email. I responded to the email and arranged a date and time to speak with the recruiter. She and I had a brief (half hour) conversation. The next day, we arranged for an interview with the hiring manager. The day after that I received an email that I was no longer in consideration for the position. Although both interviews went well, the major sticking point was that I needed to work remotely ~80% of the time.

Interview Questions
    • The hiring manager asked general questions about my experience, rather than "Interview Questions" ala Microsoft, etc. Basically it was a very casual, yet focused conversation.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom in November 2014.

Applied Online, process took about 2-3 weeks. I had originally interviewed with a department manager, she never got back to me, so I had to be really persistent. I ended up interviewing with another department manager and made it through.

Interview Questions
    • Give your most recent experience dealing with a hard customer   Answer Question

Commissioned Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Nordstrom.

I first had a phone interview with Human Resources which was approximately 20 minutes or so. At the end of the phone interview I was offered to schedule an in person interview with upper management, I accepted. The in person interview took approximately 30 minutes. Both were very pleasant and personable women, very professional, honest and informative.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions. Helps to remain calm and comfortable, not too relaxed and makes a huge difference to review the company web site and know all about their values, mission and goals.   Answer Question
    n/a

Manager Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Nordstrom in October 2014.

I had one phone interview with the hiring manager. It lasted less then 30 min. I was just asked about my experiences and my current salary. I rate overall experience as negative because even though I followed up after the interview, never heard back from them about status of my application.

Interview Questions
    • How much do you want to earn from this job? I was not expecting this question as the first question to be asked.   Answer Question