Norfolk Southern

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Norfolk, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. Received email to complete online test (many behavioral). Received phone call to schedule a phone interview after test. Phone interview very basic questions along with questions about your skill set. Then they had a conference call with a presentation about NS. Interview at the office in Norfolk, Va a week later with department heads (multiple at the same time). They asked me to come back again within the week for another interview because they couldn't decide between me and another candidate.

Interview Question – Pretty traditional company so they won't throw any curveballs. Just make sure you know your resume and have strong answers for the traditional interview questions.   Answer Question

Champaign, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in September 2013.

Interview Details – Single interview. I was interviewed by a person from HR and a Chief Engineer. They were very straightforward about what they expected from me They expect interns to devote their life to the company, pretty much. Expect to work 80 hour weeks and be on-call 24/7, working nights, weekends, and holidays. I didn't even want the job.

Interview Question – Lots of the guys working out on the railroad like to joke around. If one of them makes a joke at your expense, how would you handle it?   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview Details – I met the recruiters at my university's career fair, and was told to apply online. Once I did, I was asked to take their management assessment test about two weeks later and was then contacted to come in for an onsite interview. An HR rep arranged my flight to arrive the day before the interview and they provided me with a hotel room.

When I arrived for the interview, I found out that HR had invited about ten other people as well. The morning began with a company overview and then candidates were called into one-on-one interviews. All of the HR reps were very nice and the employees I interviewed with were as well.

Interview Question – Do you plan on getting your MBA or other graduate degree after you graduate?   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in March 2013.

Interview Details – I applied to the internship online. After submitting the application, I had to take an online assessment. From there, I had a phone interview. I was shown a powerpoint over the phone along with other potential members. I was flown to Atlanta for the departmental interview. I was given a $50 gift card for my expenses.

During the interview we were given an exam. However, it was not an assessment. It was an exam over basic operations research concepts including modeling and transportation questions. There were logic questions as well as statistics and SQL questions.

Afterwards, there were one-on-one interviews with various people in the department. Some paid attention to the responses to the questions. Others were preoccupied sending e-mails (Clark last name unknown) and not listening to responses.

Interview Question – There wasn't really any standard HR questions asked. You had to be able to demonstrate a concise understanding of OR concepts. Especially with transportation problems.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview Details – Took an online assessment, got a phone interview, watched a live online powerpoint presentation, then got flown to ATL with hotel, flight, and $50 gift card all given to me. It was fun, good experience, very professional (long table, nice office). Easy interview lasted 15 mins probably

Interview Question – Would you be alright working in a cubicle all day?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – idk

Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in January 2013.

Interview Details – After receiving my application, they forwarded me a link to an assessment test consisting of old SAT-style questions. They were difficult, and I know I missed several. Nevertheless, I was asked to a phone interview. Everything went extremely well, and although I would've enjoyed the actual work, I came out with the perception that NS was focused highly on employee loyalty, something that, as an intern who is still evaluating where I want to be next year (much less five years down the road), I saw as a major issue.

Interview Question – All of them were relatively standard-- what is your greatest weakness? -- how have you demonstrated your capacity for leadership at your university?   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

The process took a day - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in April 2012.

Interview Details – Great interview process. Initially, before being asked to interview, I took an assessment test. I was then called later to interview. Since I was unable to make the nearby interview they offered to fly me down to Atlanta for the next interview location. I was put up in a very nice hotel within walking distance from the NS HQ. The morning of the Interview I arrived early, took a brief assessment test (just to make sure It was really me who answered the first test online), and then had a 1:1 with HR, and then a panel interview with the department. HR asked the usual questions, weaknesses, strengths, etc. The department was more about what I could actually add to the organization and my work ethic. Really enjoyed the stay and the company. I was notified the next day that they were interested.

Interview Question – If we get a call at midnight and need to leave, are you fine with that?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – An offer was made, I needed a few days to check with my advisor before I confirmed and they were fine with that.

Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in November 2011.

Interview Details – If they like what they see after you apply on their website, you then have to complete an assessment. Upon successfully completing this, you have a phone interview. The phone interview is really easy and just your basic questions regarding your background and why you want to work for Norfolk Southern. If you do well they invite you to an in person interview. They interview several candidates at this stage and often times are just looking to fill one position. The best advice I can give you is to prepare and practice practice practice! Afterall practice makes perfect :)

Interview Question – I can't think of any off the top of my head.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Intern salary's are set in stone. It's listed on their website.They pay very well though.

Interviewed at Norfolk Southern

Interview Details – Nowadays, Norfolk Southern does not do the actual career day at their various headquarters. First, there is a phone interview with HR and then they invited me to a virtual career day. I am still waiting to hear back from them for the Departmental interview. The HR lady was a bit rude.

Interview Question – None of the questions were very difficult. They were mostly average HR questions such as, "what are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question

Worked for Norfolk Southern? Contribute to the Community!