Norfolk Southern Intern Interview Questions

Updated May 14, 2015

2.8

Intern Interview

Interview

Two phone interviews, the first phone interview a representative from Norfolk Southern wanted to talk about why I would want to work and intern at Norfolk Southern. The second phone interview talked about my leadership experience and ability and why I would want to intern at Norfolk Southern.

Interview Questions

• Fair interview questions in regards to why you would want to Intern at Norfolk Southern.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Norfolk Southern

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

Interview was very formal, there were 6 other candidates in room for a brief presentation/speech about the position. Then they told you the schedule of individual interviews (30 min each). The individual interview was with 4 other NS employees. They go over your resume/work experience and ask basic interview questions. Overall a fairly easy process.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you demonstrated excellent customer service.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in October 2014.

Interview

I spoke with recruiters at my school during a career fair who later contacted me to schedule an interview. I was then interviewed by two recruiters who were very polite and straight forward. It was a standard interview with mostly behavioral questions and being a student with limited job experience a majority of the interview was revolved around my resume and an explanation of the position itself and the training involved.

Interview Questions

• They did not ask any questions you should not expect during an interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Norfolk Southern (New Brunswick, NJ) in October 2013.

Interview

Met at a career fair, gave them my resumes, texted me to set up an interview the next day. Had literally a 10 minute interview and than had to take a 3 part online assessment, now I am waiting to hear back.

Interview was basic questions, nothing about the actual railroad, he made it very clear to me that they would teach me all that it takes to work in there field. I interviewed with a worker and a recruiter at the same time, they asked questions mainly about how I would handle myself in situations like heavy lifting, or getting dirty in the work place since it is a very hands on job. Also asked me if I was willing to relocate, this seemed to be a make or break for them.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

I met the recruiters at my university's career fair, and was told to apply online. Once I did, I was asked to take their management assessment test about two weeks later and was then contacted to come in for an onsite interview. An HR rep arranged my flight to arrive the day before the interview and they provided me with a hotel room.

When I arrived for the interview, I found out that HR had invited about ten other people as well. The morning began with a company overview and then candidates were called into one-on-one interviews. All of the HR reps were very nice and the employees I interviewed with were as well.

Interview Questions

• Do you plan on getting your MBA or other graduate degree after you graduate?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Champaign, IL) in September 2013.

Interview

Single interview. I was interviewed by a person from HR and a Chief Engineer. They were very straightforward about what they expected from me They expect interns to devote their life to the company, pretty much. Expect to work 80 hour weeks and be on-call 24/7, working nights, weekends, and holidays. I didn't even want the job.

Interview Questions

• Lots of the guys working out on the railroad like to joke around. If one of them makes a joke at your expense, how would you handle it?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

Took an online assessment, got a phone interview, watched a live online powerpoint presentation, then got flown to ATL with hotel, flight, and $50 gift card all given to me. It was fun, good experience, very professional (long table, nice office). Easy interview lasted 15 mins probably

Interview Questions

• Would you be alright working in a cubicle all day?   2 Answers

Negotiation

idk

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in March 2013.

Interview

I applied to the internship online. After submitting the application, I had to take an online assessment. From there, I had a phone interview. I was shown a powerpoint over the phone along with other potential members. I was flown to Atlanta for the departmental interview. I was given a $50 gift card for my expenses.

During the interview we were given an exam. However, it was not an assessment. It was an exam over basic operations research concepts including modeling and transportation questions. There were logic questions as well as statistics and SQL questions.

Afterwards, there were one-on-one interviews with various people in the department. Some paid attention to the responses to the questions. Others were preoccupied sending e-mails (Clark last name unknown) and not listening to responses.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't really any standard HR questions asked. You had to be able to demonstrate a concise understanding of OR concepts. Especially with transportation problems.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Norfolk, VA) in March 2013.

Interview

Applied online. Received email to complete online test (many behavioral). Received phone call to schedule a phone interview after test. Phone interview very basic questions along with questions about your skill set. Then they had a conference call with a presentation about NS. Interview at the office in Norfolk, Va a week later with department heads (multiple at the same time). They asked me to come back again within the week for another interview because they couldn't decide between me and another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Pretty traditional company so they won't throw any curveballs. Just make sure you know your resume and have strong answers for the traditional interview questions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in January 2013.

Interview

After receiving my application, they forwarded me a link to an assessment test consisting of old SAT-style questions. They were difficult, and I know I missed several. Nevertheless, I was asked to a phone interview. Everything went extremely well, and although I would've enjoyed the actual work, I came out with the perception that NS was focused highly on employee loyalty, something that, as an intern who is still evaluating where I want to be next year (much less five years down the road), I saw as a major issue.

Interview Questions

• All of them were relatively standard-- what is your greatest weakness? -- how have you demonstrated your capacity for leadership at your university?   Answer Question