Norfolk Southern Interview Questions & Reviews

2.8

Railroad Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Allentown, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in August 2014.

I just went through a hiring session made it to final 7 did the interview they said wait 5 days to hear if your have a job offer. Do they mean 5 business days or 5 actual days because I'm going on 7 days Wich is also 5business days

OSS Representative Interview

Invited to hiring event. They were initially not prepared. I believe this was due to the hotel staff. We were given a broad overview of the company. Took an aptitude test, which if you didn't pass, you were out. If passed, took a typing test, which weeded out more people. Panel interviews were done next. It was an all day process. Hoping to hear back from them soon. They were honest and up-front about the hours, pay and environment.

Conductor Interview

luck of the draw!! fill out online app, and placed into pool of about 300 applicants, then the computer filters out until its less than 100 applicants. then your invited to an interview.

Interview Questions
    • There is nothing you could have possibly have done in the past that can prepare you for the railroad   Answer Question

Management Trainee (Civil Engineer) Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in July 2014.

I applied on the NS website and a few weeks later received an email to complete an online assessment. The assessment felt like a SAT test and I was not prepared for it at all. After feeling like I did horrible on that a few weeks later I received a phone call from their HR dept asking me to schedule a phone interview. A few days later I did the phone interview and the first question that was asked was would I be ok with relocation. I wasn't prepared for that because I assumed the position would be in Norfolk. I reluctantly said yes to the relocation and continued with the phone interview, they were your typical questions and some were geared towards management and customer service. About a month after the phone interview I received a phone call for a in-person interview. They wanted me to fly to Atlanta the very next day but I wasn't availiable that soon so they scheduled me for a flight the next week. I flew down and took the Marta train to the NS building. I had to prepare a presentation about any relevant experience I had had. There were 3 people interviewing me. A HR person and 2 people from the deparemtent I would be working in. They pushed that relocation is an importmant part of the job and that engineers relocate quite often. I was shown around the office and then the told me that they as a few reservations about me. After that statement I knew I didn't get the job. After the interview I flew back home the same night and received an email that I didn't get it about a week later.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about relocation?
      In a room full of people how do you act? Do you go and start conversation with people or do you stand around and wait for someone to come up to you.
        Answer Question

Conductor Interview

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in July 2014.

Applied for a conductor position out of Columbus, ohio. Got an email a day later saying I had been invited to a hiring session. Out of the 30 people they invited, 26 or so showed up. We took a 75 question test that involved reading, math, mechanical, and factual questions. Out of the 26 that came, 15 of us moved on to the actual interviewing process. The interview lasted no more than 15 minutes. They asked me question that they had asked previously on the application that I had filled out online. They also asked a couple questions about myself. They like people with outdoor work experience. It was an overall simple interview. The people who interviewed me were the train master and the hr lady.

Interview Questions
    • Can you be at work within an hour and thirty minutes?   View Answer
    • Have you ever worked around big machinery or equipment?   View Answer
    Don't act cocky or overly self-confident. Just relax, talk, and be yourself. The train master may not seem interested, but they really are listening. Try and crack a joke to make them laugh and remember you.

Communications and Signals Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

I applied at my school's engineering career fair. The guy I talked to was pretty cool and the job seemed interesting. They seemed to like me too so I got an interview the next day. The interview was with an HR rep, so he didn't know too much about what I would be doing. But the interview questions were pretty standard: describe your management style, when you overcame a challenge, when you had to use critical thinking etc. I had to apply online of course after that. I got an email a week or two later about an interview in Atlanta. They flew me down to Atlanta and interviewed with the department heads and another HR rep. The questions were basically the same as before so it wasn't too bad. They also gave me a $50 gas card to cover my expenses. And a few weeks later I got a call that they were offering me a position.

Conductor Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Applied online, got an email saying i was invited to attend a job briefing, took a test that covered math, mechanical, reading, and personality (pretty basic stuff, most finished early.) Out of the 22 people who showed up, they posted a list afterwards of who they selected to interview, I think they hired 4 out of the 12 interviewed. Now i have my background check and medical check. I think the only reason why I got called for an interview is because my current job involves being very cautious, following the rules, and being safe. If you don't have any experience that you can easily relate to the life of a conductor...goodluck...

Interview Questions
    • A lot of "what if" situational questions. Give specific examples of how you are safe in your current workplace, how would you deal with this conflict.. what would your boss say about you..   Answer Question
    union

Marketing Management Trainee Interview

The interviewing process for NS is lengthy but thorough. The fist step is a phone interview in which basic questions are asked such as previous work experience and the challenges you occurred, how you handled them, how the skills learned can be transferred to the position at NS. The phone interview lasts about 30-45 minutes normally. I was asked for an interview in person in Norfolk about a week and a half later. They flew me down to Norfolk where we had a meet-and-greet dinner the night before the day of the interviews. During this dinner we chatted with other applicants - about 30-40 there for the 10 positions available - and were able to talk with our interviewers. The next day we had 3 interviews, lasting 1/2 hour each I believe. The first interview was with 3 people, second was with 5 people and 3rd with 4 people. They asked basic interview questions that if properly prepared for, are not all too challenging. I had a great experience with all of my interviewers and felt comfortable enough to be candid on a professional level.

Interview Questions
    • A client wants to transport material X from location A to location B, what questions would you ask the client to properly price the shipment. This one threw me for a bit of a loop because it was a total direction change in the interview. All the questions previously had been about myself so this one caught me slightly off guard.   Answer Question

Great company with even better benefits, but as a recent college grad I wanted to travel for a year first before settling into my career.

Management Trainee Interview

I submitted my resume at a college career fair and was contacted to weeks later to attend an information session. At the session, HR reps gave detailed information about the jobs they were looking to fill and administered a personality test and some sort of logic/common sense test. Lunch was provided, then each attendee was assigned a time for a one on one interview with an HR rep. Mine went great! I was contacted again by HR 2 weeks later and invited to an overnight session for a second round of interviews. NS paid for travel and hotel stay. Night one was a general Q and A and dinner with HR. The following morning were the 2nd and 3rd interviews. I was contacted two weeks later and offered a position.

Conductor Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Attended hiring session. The morning consisted of an overview of the job to include benefits and pay. Took a test and then was selected for an interview. Basic panel style interview with hiring manager, HR representative, and training coordinator.

Interview Questions
    • No railroad specific questions just basic interview questions.   Answer Question

Worked for Norfolk Southern? Contribute to the Community!