Norfolk Southern Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

2.8

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

Most of the questions were based on the railroad industry which i had little to no knowledge of as a recent graduate. For an entry position, one's is not too familiar in depth with the company. I wish there asked more questions about my experience than specific detail they do as a company.

Interview Questions

• What are the things that a customer would want to know before doing business with norfolk southern?   Answer Question

Sourcing Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in June 2015.

Interview

First took a pass/fail SAT-type test online. Didn't hear back for almost two months then got an email scheduling an interview. The interview was conversational and easy-going. Received an offer within a week and was given a few days to make my decision.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you were successful in your last position?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

Two phone interviews, the first phone interview a representative from Norfolk Southern wanted to talk about why I would want to work and intern at Norfolk Southern. The second phone interview talked about my leadership experience and ability and why I would want to intern at Norfolk Southern.

Interview Questions

• Fair interview questions in regards to why you would want to Intern at Norfolk Southern.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Norfolk, VA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very long, but Norfolk Southern does a good job telling you where you are at in the process. 2 weeks later after sending in my application, I was sent an online IQ test(many grammar and analogy questions). Within a couple days, I was sent an email scheduling a phone interview. After the phone interview was a virtual career day online. 3 months later, I was scheduled for my final department/HR interview at their headquarter in Norfolk. It was very professional. I was interviewed in front of 2 panels each 30 minutes long. *note: very competitive, they fly their candidates all over the country for the department interview*

Interview Questions

• Give us an example of an analytical project you have learned in school.   Answer Question

Train Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Columbia, SC) in May 2015.

Interview

First round of the interview was basically an orientation of the job and company so you know what your getting into. That lasted about an hour and then we were put on a break at which the HR person suggested we call our loved ones to ensure this is what we want to do an she also stated that if anyone had done any drugs in the last year or so that they should not come back because the drig test will reveal that and all you would have done is waste their time and yours. After the break we took a test that consisted of math, reading, personal suggestions and mechanics. We started with 44 people and after the testing we were down to only 19 that actually got and interview.

Interview Questions

• Did I understand what the duties of a train conductor where?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation option

IT Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

The interview day began with an overview of Norfolk Southern and their technologies, as well as competitors and background. Afterwards, I interviewed with three different hiring managers, each for about an hour. Lunch was provided before the final interview. At the end of the day a presentation was given about the benefits, retirement, and other HR related topics. The day lasted from about 8AM to 2:30PM.

Overall it was a great experience, everyone was very friendly and laid back, and the environment was extremely comfortable.

Management Trainee- Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roanoke, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Roanoke, VA).

Interview

I applied online, but I spoke with with recruiters when they came to my school. After speaking with them, later that day I received a call for an interview scheduled for the next day. Three weeks later I received a call wanting me to go up to Roanoke to interview with them as the final application process. This will happen next week, I guess i will update afterward.

Interview Questions

• They asked if i had experience working with engines   1 Answer

Railcar Repair Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Pittsburgh, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

Was absolutely shocked! Received a call confirming I was coming to interview at 7:30pm sat. For an interview Friday. Went to interview Friday and was there for more than 8 hours! Started with 25 people then narrowed to half of that once we took an hour long test. Then in for the interviews one on one

Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

If you get an email for an interview, make sure you show up 15+ minutes early because directly at 8am they close the doors and ask anyone who shows up after to leave. Also make sure you eat breakfast before or bring a snack because, this goes from aout 8am-5pm. At first they explain the job to you and also show a video. One of the points they make sure to make absolutely clear to you is that this job is a complete lifestyle change. Also if you're married they tell you that your spouse has to be behind you and supporting you 100% because this job has ruined marriages.

After they explain the job to you in detail they explain the Alcohol/Drug Policy and tell you that their drug test consists on a urine sample AND hair follicle sample which reaches back 90 days. They tell you that if you know for sure you'll fail the hair test than its in your best interest to just leave during the first break of the day.

After the first break of the day which only lasts a short amount of time they have you take a fairly easy test which basically consists of reading, and mechanics. They give you about an hour to an hour and a half to complete than send you on break again till a pre determined time.

After that time they post a list outside of the room with names of people who passed onto interviews. If your name isn't on the list than you just go home and can either re-apply or job search somewhere else.

Railroad Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Cleveland, OH) in April 2015.

Interview

First, you apply online and they got back to me in 2 days, which normally isn't that quick. I was instructed to attend an interview session on 4/24/2015 and be there at 8AM sharp. It was at a hotel. One person was late and was told to go home. Only 16 out of the 50 they were supposed to have shown up. It was a "drill sergeant" mentality they had during the process which I was able to handle. Three representatives from the railroad came in. One was a yardmaster, another a conductor, and the third was a conductor-no HR people present. We had to sign in upon arrival where we had to give them our application we had to print out prior to coming to the interview and give them our drivers licenses as well. We in turn got a blue sheet of paper with a 7 digit code for the assessment test and a survey we had to fill out about the interview. The survey was just one question asking us how we heard of the job interview thing and that's it-it lacked any depth. We were to turn off our phones and not use them at all during the session.
    The first phase was a PowerPoint that was going over safety, how drugs and alcohol will not be tolerated, the pay & benefits, the conductor job description, and they had a video included with the PowerPoint which was taken from their website and their YouTube site that talked to Conductor Brian. They also went over in the PowerPoint what would be the next step if offered the position and how we would be sent for 3 weeks to McDonough, GA if we get hired for training. If hired, you'd be the one paying for your way down there, which will be reimbursed and they will put you into a 2 person hotel room down there.. They give you a $20 prepaid american express card which is reloaded everyday to pay for food during this time. Whatever you don't use, you keep upon completion. After that, they send you to wherever rail yard you applied there where you will be training 4-6 months. You will begin your 60 or 90 day probation though once you get out of McDonough. They told us how for about 25 years Norfolk Southern won he Harriman Award and that the other railroads were so pissed that they won it for so long that they stopped the award 5-10 years ago because the other companies were jealous that they kept on winning. What they didn't tell the applicants, and this was something I knew about but didn't blurt out was the fact that Norfolk Southern has also been sued numerous times for fudging accident records to keep the award and was forced to pay settlements to employees for lost wage, medical expenses, etc., and this is how they were able to keep it. This led to some near strikes in te industry over fudging of reports. This was part of the reason why it was discontinued.
    During this first half of the training session, the dude clicking through the PowerPoint's kept on reiterating the safety and mainly the drugs and alcohol portion. Everyone in there was just looking at them like "OK, we got you". We knew what that industry entails and knew what to do and what not to do on railroads. The group of us that they had were fairly smart-most of us either college students, soon to be graduates, or prior military so we knew better that trains are dangerous and we kind of knew better that drugs and alcohol won't be tolerated. After the PowerPoint, the other two guys introduced themselves and said very little. We went on our 1st 15 minute break after the PowerPoint and then came back for the assessment test. While on break, we were instructed to come back on time which all of us did. There were 3 that left.
    We were handed a test booklet, a Scantron page, two pencils, and a piece of scratch paper which was from the piece of paper we put our 7 digit code on it. Yeah, I hate to burst anyone's bubble, it was not an online assessment test. It was a reading, mechanical comprehension, math, and personality assessment test. We were told that if we had to use the restroom at any point of the test, we needed to leave our phones behind so that we won't be calling friends for the answers. We had about an hour and fifteen minutes to complete it and once we were done, it had to be stacked in a certain order on the table. If not our test would not be accepted. This just drew a bunch of rolling eyes and one or two chuckles from the group. We were told to file out of the room after the assessment test and wait outside for the list as to who will make it to the interview session. One guy left thinking he flunked the assessment test, but he actually passed it and made the list of candidates who passed. Sadly he left not knowing that and they withdrew his application.
    I took the assessment test and passed with flying colors on that one because they sure enough interviewed me first on the list. I had my interview and I'll admit I wasn't prepared. I didn't get the job, but I am still in running for other jobs.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the railroad? Do you have any additional questions?   Answer Question