Norfolk Southern Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

2.9

Railroad Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Knoxville, TN).

Interview

We were told before the interview that they didn't have to hire anyone if they didn't want to. Think of everyone as competition for your potential job they said. Before that they tell you to kiss your personal life goodbye and how they have one of they highest divorce rates among occupations Be prepared to spend an entire day at your interview. I was interviewed by an hr manager and the manager of the dept that I was interviewing for. they wanted to know my work history and the length of time that I had worked there. This is a good way to figure out how old someone is without actually breaking the law by asking your age outright. They wanted to know if I didn't like what I was doing now and why I wanted to work for them. They asked if I had ever been written up on a job. They asked why I chose the name for my email address. It felt as if I was guilty until proven innocent.

Interview Questions

• with your experience don't you think you would be better suited doing something more in line with your current profession?   1 Answer

Management Trainee-Maintenance of Way Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

I applied online and the next day received an email asking me to complete the self assessment test. Several days later, I received an email asking if I would be available for a phone interview which was set for one week later. On the phone, the recruiter asked me several easy questions. At the end of the interview, he asked if I would be able to fly out the following day for an in person interview in Atlanta. There were four rooms with one HR person and one executive interviewing candidates. The two interviews consisted of essentially the same questions which were very straight forward and easy to answer.

Interview Questions

• What is your goal for your career?   Answer Question
    • As a young supervisor, how would you deal with union employees that are much older than you?   Answer Question
    • What is your leadership style?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with an individual working underneath you, and how did you solve it?   Answer Question
    • Why are you better qualified for this position than the other candidates that are here?   Answer Question

Accounting Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied on 5/28/15 and then got an email to do a test on basic skills(reading and comprehension and definitions, analogies, etc). The interview lasted from 8 to 12. There were 10 of us and they informed us there were filling various roles. I interviewed for the accounting supervisor position on 7/14/15. They started promptly at 8 and brought us upstairs and talked about benefits and then did a presentation on the department. Each person then had a 30 minute interview with two different groups in no specific order and they stated they will either call you with an offer or email you if no offer. I am currently still waiting to hear back. Does it typically take this long for them to make an offer?

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, why do you want to work with us, salary requirements   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

Most of the questions were based on the railroad industry which i had little to no knowledge of as a recent graduate. For an entry position, one's is not too familiar in depth with the company. I wish there asked more questions about my experience than specific detail they do as a company.

Interview Questions

• What are the things that a customer would want to know before doing business with norfolk southern?   Answer Question

Accounting Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in June 2015.

Interview

It was a group session of about 18 of us. They told us all about the company which included the benefits and the wonderful retirement and the various accounting units spoke about what they do. Afterwards each of us had 2 interviews with members of the group. It was pretty much an all day event depending on when your interview time was scheduled.

Interview Questions

• Which area did they think I most fit?   2 Answers

Sourcing Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in June 2015.

Interview

First took a pass/fail SAT-type test online. Didn't hear back for almost two months then got an email scheduling an interview. The interview was conversational and easy-going. Received an offer within a week and was given a few days to make my decision.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you were successful in your last position?   Answer Question

Internal Audit Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview was informal and very casual. There was no pressure and an intense setting that made you feel uncomfortable. Very nice and kind people that conducted the interview. they fly or pay for your travels to get to the interview

Intern Interview

Interview

Two phone interviews, the first phone interview a representative from Norfolk Southern wanted to talk about why I would want to work and intern at Norfolk Southern. The second phone interview talked about my leadership experience and ability and why I would want to intern at Norfolk Southern.

Interview Questions

• Fair interview questions in regards to why you would want to Intern at Norfolk Southern.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Norfolk, VA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very long, but Norfolk Southern does a good job telling you where you are at in the process. 2 weeks later after sending in my application, I was sent an online IQ test(many grammar and analogy questions). Within a couple days, I was sent an email scheduling a phone interview. After the phone interview was a virtual career day online. 3 months later, I was scheduled for my final department/HR interview at their headquarter in Norfolk. It was very professional. I was interviewed in front of 2 panels each 30 minutes long. *note: very competitive, they fly their candidates all over the country for the department interview*

Interview Questions

• Give us an example of an analytical project you have learned in school.   Answer Question

Train Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Columbia, SC) in May 2015.

Interview

First round of the interview was basically an orientation of the job and company so you know what your getting into. That lasted about an hour and then we were put on a break at which the HR person suggested we call our loved ones to ensure this is what we want to do an she also stated that if anyone had done any drugs in the last year or so that they should not come back because the drig test will reveal that and all you would have done is waste their time and yours. After the break we took a test that consisted of math, reading, personal suggestions and mechanics. We started with 44 people and after the testing we were down to only 19 that actually got and interview.

Interview Questions

• Did I understand what the duties of a train conductor where?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation option