Norfolk Southern

88 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Conductor Interview

Conductor

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview Details – Applied online, got an email saying i was invited to attend a job briefing, took a test that covered math, mechanical, reading, and personality (pretty basic stuff, most finished early.) Out of the 22 people who showed up, they posted a list afterwards of who they selected to interview, I think they hired 4 out of the 12 interviewed. Now i have my background check and medical check. I think the only reason why I got called for an interview is because my current job involves being very cautious, following the rules, and being safe. If you don't have any experience that you can easily relate to the life of a conductor...goodluck...

Interview Question – A lot of "what if" situational questions. Give specific examples of how you are safe in your current workplace, how would you deal with this conflict.. what would your boss say about you..   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – union

Marketing Management Trainee Interview

Marketing Management Trainee

Interviewed at Norfolk Southern

Interview Details – The interviewing process for NS is lengthy but thorough. The fist step is a phone interview in which basic questions are asked such as previous work experience and the challenges you occurred, how you handled them, how the skills learned can be transferred to the position at NS. The phone interview lasts about 30-45 minutes normally. I was asked for an interview in person in Norfolk about a week and a half later. They flew me down to Norfolk where we had a meet-and-greet dinner the night before the day of the interviews. During this dinner we chatted with other applicants - about 30-40 there for the 10 positions available - and were able to talk with our interviewers. The next day we had 3 interviews, lasting 1/2 hour each I believe. The first interview was with 3 people, second was with 5 people and 3rd with 4 people. They asked basic interview questions that if properly prepared for, are not all too challenging. I had a great experience with all of my interviewers and felt comfortable enough to be candid on a professional level.

Interview Question – A client wants to transport material X from location A to location B, what questions would you ask the client to properly price the shipment. This one threw me for a bit of a loop because it was a total direction change in the interview. All the questions previously had been about myself so this one caught me slightly off guard.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Great company with even better benefits, but as a recent college grad I wanted to travel for a year first before settling into my career.

Management Trainee Interview

Management Trainee

Interviewed at Norfolk Southern

Interview Details – I submitted my resume at a college career fair and was contacted to weeks later to attend an information session. At the session, HR reps gave detailed information about the jobs they were looking to fill and administered a personality test and some sort of logic/common sense test. Lunch was provided, then each attendee was assigned a time for a one on one interview with an HR rep. Mine went great! I was contacted again by HR 2 weeks later and invited to an overnight session for a second round of interviews. NS paid for travel and hotel stay. Night one was a general Q and A and dinner with HR. The following morning were the 2nd and 3rd interviews. I was contacted two weeks later and offered a position.

Interview Question – What makes you a leader?   View Answer

Conductor Interview

Conductor

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview Details – Attended hiring session. The morning consisted of an overview of the job to include benefits and pay. Took a test and then was selected for an interview. Basic panel style interview with hiring manager, HR representative, and training coordinator.

Interview Question – No railroad specific questions just basic interview questions.   Answer Question

Transportation Management Trainee Interview

Transportation Management Trainee

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview Details – Phone Interview: interviewed with recruiter, basic questions such as are you open to relocation, how do you feel working all shifts?,
Face to face interview in Atlanta Georgia: 2 panel interviews with district supervisors, tell me about a time when you had to tell someone that they were doing something incorrect?

Interview Question – Are you willing to relocate anywhere?   View Answer

Management Trainee Interview

Management Trainee
Norfolk, VA

I applied online - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in February 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process was a huge waste of time. You meet with 10-14 people in one day, and it was clear early on that they had already made a decision (i.e. did not want to hire another attorney). The labor relations group that I was interviewing with did not seem to have much input on the pool of candidates, which meant that candidates like me (attorneys) were not weeded out earlier.

Interview Question – What do you know about the railroad?   View Answer

Operations Research Co-op Interview

Operations Research Co-op

Interviewed at Norfolk Southern

Interview Details – One basic technical interview, One advanced technical interview, One exam

Interview Question – The advanced technical interview is too hard, you should prepared well for Java, C++ and SQL   Answer Question

Commercial Real Estate Intern Interview

Commercial Real Estate Intern
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in March 2013.

Interview Details – The first step in the interview process is a phone interview where they ask general questions about classes, strength of extracurricular activities, work experiences and general skills. The second round is a small group interview, mine was two managers in commercial real estate and one human resources professional. There are no technical questions, mostly theory based.

Interview Question – How experienced are you with negotiating leases? If I put you on the phone with a corporate executive right now, how prepared are you to give him the hard line?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Revenue Accounting Interview

Revenue Accounting
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in March 2011.

Interview Details – I did not go through a hiring process. Try to intern first before actually working for the company.

Interview Question – I did not go through a hiring process. Try to intern first before actually working for the company.   Answer Question

Internal Audit Intern Interview

Internal Audit Intern
Roanoke, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for the position in October 2013 and forgot all about it until I got a call in the beginning of March a couple days after that they scheduled a phone interview which was basic behavioral questions and then a week and a half after that I schedule an in-person interview. They flew me to Roanoke and put me up in a nice hotel and then I interviewed in front of 3 people and they asked pretty much the same type of questions as the phone interviewer, there were no technical questions. 5 days later I received a phone call and was offered the position.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in the transportation industry?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The salary is competitive but non-negotiable.

Worked for Norfolk Southern? Contribute to the Community!