Norfolk Southern Interview Questions

Updated Aug 19, 2015

2.9

Maintenance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Altoona, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Altoona, PA).

Interview

long hiring session, usually 100's of applicants. NS comes out strong and gives you horror stories about work life for NS. after a few breaks a logic test and interviews proceed.

Interview Questions

• the questions asked are based on your application and resume, general questions regarding work ethic and willingness to do things.   Answer Question

Transportation Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

Phone interview followed by a 2 day meet and greet/interview in ATL. Interview In Atlanta was with 2 different groups of people Must pass a urine and hair drug test. Be prepared to work with very blue collar people if you get the job even if its a management position.

Railroad Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Knoxville, TN).

Interview

We were told before the interview that they didn't have to hire anyone if they didn't want to. Think of everyone as competition for your potential job they said. Before that they tell you to kiss your personal life goodbye and how they have one of they highest divorce rates among occupations Be prepared to spend an entire day at your interview. I was interviewed by an hr manager and the manager of the dept that I was interviewing for. they wanted to know my work history and the length of time that I had worked there. This is a good way to figure out how old someone is without actually breaking the law by asking your age outright. They wanted to know if I didn't like what I was doing now and why I wanted to work for them. They asked if I had ever been written up on a job. They asked why I chose the name for my email address. It felt as if I was guilty until proven innocent.

Interview Questions

• with your experience don't you think you would be better suited doing something more in line with your current profession?   1 Answer

Management Trainee-Maintenance of Way Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

I applied online and the next day received an email asking me to complete the self assessment test. Several days later, I received an email asking if I would be available for a phone interview which was set for one week later. On the phone, the recruiter asked me several easy questions. At the end of the interview, he asked if I would be able to fly out the following day for an in person interview in Atlanta. There were four rooms with one HR person and one executive interviewing candidates. The two interviews consisted of essentially the same questions which were very straight forward and easy to answer.

Interview Questions

• What is your goal for your career?   Answer Question
    • As a young supervisor, how would you deal with union employees that are much older than you?   Answer Question
    • What is your leadership style?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with an individual working underneath you, and how did you solve it?   Answer Question
    • Why are you better qualified for this position than the other candidates that are here?   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online through NS's website and had an employee referral. About a week after I applied I was contacted by an HR representative to schedule a phone interview. During the phone interview they asked me basic questions about my resume (high school and college), nothing too in depth. About a week or so after the phone interview I was contacted for an in-person interview in Norfolk, VA. They flew me in, paid for my flight and hotel. The evening before the interview we were taken to dinner with 2 HR reps and the other (3) candidates. This was a time for us to get to know one another and ask any questions we had about the position/department/company/industry. Our actual interviews were the next morning at the NS corporate offices. The interviewees were very nice! It was two panel interviews, a half hour each. A few days after the in-person interview I was contacted by an HR rep who told me that they would like to fly me to Atlanta to interview for a different position with a different department, but that I was still being considered for the other job. I accepted this interview and the process was the same as the initial interview that I had in Norfolk. Overall, I had a very positive experience with NS. Their management trainee positions are extremely competitive. They are looking for the best of the best and for candidates who want to grow with the company. NS is a wonderful company with a lot to offer their employees (upward advancement, benefits, etc). I was not offered the first position I applied for, but I was offered (and accepted) the position in Atlanta! Do a lot of research on the company and tie your answers back to company values/facts. They want to make sure you are as invested in them as they are in you. The interview questions were somewhat tricky and required a lot of preparation. I prepared extensively for this interview through researching the company and reading interview reviews online.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach an employee who isn't performing like they should be?   Answer Question
    • What would you need to know in order to give a customer a quote for transporting a material from location A to location B?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you analyzed data (using Excel - pivot tables).   Answer Question
    • When was a time you had to settle a conflict?   Answer Question
    • Do you have any customer service experience? When was a time you had to deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Accounting Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied on 5/28/15 and then got an email to do a test on basic skills(reading and comprehension and definitions, analogies, etc). The interview lasted from 8 to 12. There were 10 of us and they informed us there were filling various roles. I interviewed for the accounting supervisor position on 7/14/15. They started promptly at 8 and brought us upstairs and talked about benefits and then did a presentation on the department. Each person then had a 30 minute interview with two different groups in no specific order and they stated they will either call you with an offer or email you if no offer. I am currently still waiting to hear back. Does it typically take this long for them to make an offer?

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, why do you want to work with us, salary requirements   Answer Question

Track Laborer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sandusky, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Sandusky, OH) in July 2015.

Interview

Unless you have a CDL license, don't bother applying. They say that not having one doesn't affect anything because they will help you get one, but that's not true. I went to an interview session with 32 other people, including one guy with 10 yrs experience as a conductor. They asked everyone with a CDL to mark it down at the top of their application. After taking the test, the 11 people with CDL licenses were the only ones asked to stay for an interview.

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

Most of the questions were based on the railroad industry which i had little to no knowledge of as a recent graduate. For an entry position, one's is not too familiar in depth with the company. I wish there asked more questions about my experience than specific detail they do as a company.

Interview Questions

• What are the things that a customer would want to know before doing business with norfolk southern?   Answer Question

Accounting Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in June 2015.

Interview

It was a group session of about 18 of us. They told us all about the company which included the benefits and the wonderful retirement and the various accounting units spoke about what they do. Afterwards each of us had 2 interviews with members of the group. It was pretty much an all day event depending on when your interview time was scheduled.

Interview Questions

• Which area did they think I most fit?   2 Answers

Sourcing Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern in June 2015.

Interview

First took a pass/fail SAT-type test online. Didn't hear back for almost two months then got an email scheduling an interview. The interview was conversational and easy-going. Received an offer within a week and was given a few days to make my decision.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you were successful in your last position?   Answer Question