Norfolk Southern

Updated Jan 14, 2015
Updated Jan 14, 2015

2.8

Co-Op Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in April 2012.

The process was long and exhausting while in school, which included a multi-step interview, several online pre-qual quizzes and intelligence tests, personal interviews. I went through 3 of the 4 rounds.

Management Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Norfolk Southern in July 2012.

I was contacted 4-5 months after applying online. They simply asked if I was still interested in employment and I, the unemployed college grad that I was, said yes. I filled out an online questionnaire. This was quite extensive. I was then contacted for an interview in norfolk. They flew me out and put me up in a hotel for a night. After that interview I was contacted again to do a second interview in Atlanta. Same deal, they put me up in a hotel for the night. After a day worth of interviews, dinner, and a question session with a current trainee, they sent us to the airport to fly home. I was contacted while at the airport with a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • When interviewing in Atlanta, I interviewed with high level bosses. They wanted to hear commitment with the company. The railroad is a very old school industry and the higher level bosses have the same old school mentality. They were interested in hearing about where I saw my future with the company and if I was willing to bleed and sweat Norfolk Southern.   Answer Question
    They laid out what they offered management trainees from the first interview. Plain and simple, no negotiating at that point.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Norfolk Southern.

My interview process started at school. It seemed that this interview was to see if I met the basic requirements - G.P.A, Major, etc.. My next interview was more at the end of an information session. Once again a very basic interview. My next two interviews were with the department managers versus HR. These interviews were very intense and specific. They asked a lot of analytical and customer service questions.

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Norfolk Southern in February 2013.

The hiring process was a huge waste of time. You meet with 10-14 people in one day, and it was clear early on that they had already made a decision (i.e. did not want to hire another attorney). The labor relations group that I was interviewing with did not seem to have much input on the pool of candidates, which meant that candidates like me (attorneys) were not weeded out earlier.

Management Trainee (Civil Engineer) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in July 2014.

I applied on the NS website and a few weeks later received an email to complete an online assessment. The assessment felt like a SAT test and I was not prepared for it at all. After feeling like I did horrible on that a few weeks later I received a phone call from their HR dept asking me to schedule a phone interview. A few days later I did the phone interview and the first question that was asked was would I be ok with relocation. I wasn't prepared for that because I assumed the position would be in Norfolk. I reluctantly said yes to the relocation and continued with the phone interview, they were your typical questions and some were geared towards management and customer service. About a month after the phone interview I received a phone call for a in-person interview. They wanted me to fly to Atlanta the very next day but I wasn't availiable that soon so they scheduled me for a flight the next week. I flew down and took the Marta train to the NS building. I had to prepare a presentation about any relevant experience I had had. There were 3 people interviewing me. A HR person and 2 people from the deparemtent I would be working in. They pushed that relocation is an importmant part of the job and that engineers relocate quite often. I was shown around the office and then the told me that they as a few reservations about me. After that statement I knew I didn't get the job. After the interview I flew back home the same night and received an email that I didn't get it about a week later.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about relocation?
      In a room full of people how do you act? Do you go and start conversation with people or do you stand around and wait for someone to come up to you.

Answer Question

Finance Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in February 2011.

Basically an IQ test consisting of GRE type questions and behavioral questions. Know your vocabulary!!!!

Conductor Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in August 2011.

I was invited to the interview session in Manassas. Many other candidates were there (about 25 people). After going thru a scary presentation, we took an exam (90mins). I found it easy. Only 9 people were selected after an exam. Then I was the first to do the interview. It was with one HR person and yardmaster. HR person asked 90% of the questions mostly related to the safety concerns. However, I did not get selected.

Interview Questions
    • What is the role of the position you are applying for.   Answer Question

Coop Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in March 2009.

The interview is 5 hours long. When you first get to the site. You meet the other candidates:all who are interviewing for various co-ops within the company. Next, you watch an overview video of the company. Then they give you what seems to be a personality test with a few hundred questions. While this is taking place, people are being called out to interview with HR. Then there is a break. If you satisfied the HR interview requirement you get to stay for lunch. You then come back and take another skills test where you will have to create a schedule and seating chart based upon employee requirements. Then you have lunch. After lunch, you interview with 2 individuals from your respective departments. No offers are given that day. They inform you that decisions will be made within one week. There were about 5 people interviewing for 2 spots for my department interview. I did not get the position, but the managers informed me to contact them once I graduated with my MBA.

Carman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Follow all of the instructions given to you to the "T".

No negotiation

Operation Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Norfolk Southern.

One phone interview, one on-site interview including panel interview and written interviews. Sharp people, many projects. The whole process is challenging.

Interview Questions
    • What is your technical weakness and how did you overcome?   Answer Question
    They only offer contractor position. Negotiate with consulting firm about whole package, but no much space.