Norfolk Southern Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

2.9

Intern Interview

Interview

Nowadays, Norfolk Southern does not do the actual career day at their various headquarters. First, there is a phone interview with HR and then they invited me to a virtual career day. I am still waiting to hear back from them for the Departmental interview. The HR lady was a bit rude.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were very difficult. They were mostly average HR questions such as, "what are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question

Supervisor/Yardmaster Interview

Interview

3 phase, job fair, interview ,fly to atlanta, second interview

Interview Questions

• How can you supervise someone who knows more than you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

nONE

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in July 2012.

Interview

You have to complete a long 40 minute online test before you interview. The interview process was spread out over 1 week and I met twice with NS staff. The process overall was positive.

Interview Questions

• Question about resource leveling - unexpected but answered nonetheless   Answer Question

Energy Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

Three part interview after the generic human resources overview. An HR rep asked the more personal questions targeting ability to work on teams and about temperment. The hiring manager was more interested in the experience that would match the position. His supervisor was interested in experiences and how they fit with the corporate structure.

Interview Questions

• Their HR software had been updated and the resume I had loaded was not current by about two months. Pay attention to what is uploaded v. your status as of the interview. The software is still cumbersome.   Answer Question

Employee Interview

Interview

Long hiring process; online form, phone interviews, in person interviews, and so on. The phone interview was quite laid back and not difficult. The in person interviews can be quite stressful, and expect them to berate you on any negative aspects of your life (intricacies of resume, criminal history, GPA, technical knowledge, etc)

Interview Questions

• What do you see as the most negative aspect of Norfolk Southern?   1 Answer

Co-Op Interview

Interview

after applied on line, I got an email from HR ,giving me an assesment test.( a GRE verbal test and then personality test, 90 min total) Then after I submitted the test on line. I recieved a phone call from HR and ask me to reply her email and set up a phone call interview. She metioned about a on site interview in Atlanta, GA next week but she did not include the details. I will ask for more info after tomorrow phone interview.

Interview Questions

Interview

Invited to apply by a co worker. Applied on line. Invited to take a skills assessment test. Contacted by HR for career day. The HR person forgot to record my RSVP. Career day was revealing. The HR people were immature and arrogant. I was left for 7 hours in a hall waiting for an interview. Not once was a cup of coffee offered or a snack. At 1:00 PM they thought that it might be a good idea to ask if we wanted lunch.

Interview Questions

• Would it be difficult to work in an antiquated engineering environment? NS uses its assets beyond the expected service life   1 Answer

Better offer elsewhere

Mechanical Engineering Co-Op Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

I submitted an online application through the official website. After a week or so they sent me an email which links to an assessment test. The assessment test includes TOEFL type questions and personality test. I was approved and I did two phone calls with the HR department and the shop manager.

Interview Questions

• There were just normal questions that you can expect from phone interviews like 'why do you want to work for us?'   Answer Question

Negotiation

They have pay rates depending on what years you are in at your school.

Co-Op Interview

Interview

Applied online, phone interview, then in person interview with hiring managers. Had to get a lot of medical tests even for an internship... But all worth it!

Interview Questions

• Pretty basic interview for the internship process. They focus a lot on excel, and analytical ability, but don't test your ability, rather they take your word for it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation for interns

Conductor Interview

Interview

luck of the draw!! fill out online app, and placed into pool of about 300 applicants, then the computer filters out until its less than 100 applicants. then your invited to an interview.

Interview Questions

• There is nothing you could have possibly have done in the past that can prepare you for the railroad   Answer Question