Norfolk Southern Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

2.9

Transportation Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Gainesville, FL) in February 2015.

Interview

I attended a career fair at my university, spoke to one of their reps and got a call later that day for a scheduled interview in the morning. The interview was one on one, my interviewee was basically looking for confidence, and wanted to hear a lot more about how I planned to be a leader, leadership qualities I have, etc. After the interview he told me that I was a good candidate and to apply online so I can take their personality quiz/ knowledge quiz that would be online. He made me feel super comfortable and let me know how the process would be. About a week after I applied online, I got the link for the quiz and it was SAT type questions in my opinion and then scenarios that would apply to my position just to see my personality. About a week after that I got an email from their human resources rep letting me know that they wanted to continue the interview process and so I had to watch an online presentation at a scheduled date. After that I was flown to ATL for an interview with the engineer I would be working with and another intern rep. All in all it was about 30 days of getting everything done. I got an offer as a structures engineer intern which wasn't what I originally applied for. It was an amazing experience but I was disappointed when I spoke to the engineer because it seemed like I would be worked to the bone upwards of 60 plus hours a week doing things I wasn't much interested in. However, it seemed like a great company and again the experience was out of this world.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Norfolk Southern in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online prior to a career fair at my school, and then approached them at the career fair to let them know I was very interested. I went to the info session the day before the actual career fair, and was the only person who attended. I thought, "this is great!" I told the recruiter EXACTLY what position I wanted, why, and how I would be a great fit. I also have a family member who has been working in said department for like 20 years. Next day dropped off my resume at the career fair, was immediately scheduled an interview for the following day. There I was interviewed by pretty much the same people, one of which knew my family member and seemed pleased that I had reached out to him to get more knowledge about the position. Was told I'd be contacted a few weeks later. Meanwhile my family member calls me and tells me the recruiter called to verify our relationship and that I did excellent during the interview. After about a month and a half of waiting, I get a short email, with grammatical errors telling me that others were more qualified.

Conductor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

The easiest way for me to explain the process is to say that it is in phases and consisted of 4 phases. I would advice anyone to make sure they eat before they come because there isn't a lot of free time given. I was there from 8am-5pm. I had about 2-3 hours of free time but because I was not familiar with the process I was terrified to leave. Phase 1: The first phase started at 8 am. Everyone is expected to be early, so if you get an email or phone call you better show up at least 10-15 minutes early. They check everyone in and close the doors at 8am. Anyone who was late was asked to leave. They had us watch a video about the job. Then told us about the alcohol/drug policy. They do a hair follicle sample that checks back to 90 days. At this point we had almost 30 people there, but they warned everyone not to apply if you're going to fail the drug test then please leave (they don't test there, only if you get passed the interview phase). They released us for a break of about 15 minutes. It's now about 930. Phase 2: When we came back from break there were only about 25 people left. They had the train master talk and the person over our division (the piedmont division). They tried to do a scare tactic on us again with the drug testing. Telling us we would have no family time, no time for friends, and that our lives would basically belong to the railroad. They REALLY focused in safety. They wanted to give us time to call our families to make sure this was what we really wanted to do and make sure that they were fully on board. They said we don't hire people who want to work for a few months or a year. They want career minded people. They released us for a break to call our families. Phase 3: No one left after the break, but some people were in their phones. They had us sit down and they began passing out test. It was 88 questions and 1hr and 15mins long. It was mechanical, math, reading comprehension, agree/strongly disagree, and fact based questions (bill works schedule a. Susan works schedule b.... And the question would be who works schedule b and has Jon as a worker) I hope that makes sense. Once we completed the test they had us leave the room. They said they would post a list on the door with people who had been accepted for an interview. It was about an hour wait after the test. Phase 4: The list consisted of 7 names from the 25ish people who showed up. My name was on the list, but I was last. Most of the interviews were about 30 minutes. I was last on the list (good or bad I don't know haha). I would recommend anyone looking to score the job to focus on safety during the interview. They loved to hear me talk about safety and my family. At this point I do not know if I scored the job, but I just finished my interview yesterday. Hope this helps!! Also, the questions are normal interview questions. How would you better the company? Why are you wanting to leave your current job? What experience do you currently have? Have you ever seen someone act in an unsafe manner? How many times have you called in sick in the last year? Tardiness?

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with not getting to spend time with your family?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Union baby!!! No negotiations.

Conductor Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

Completed their candidate profile. Then applied for a few conductor positions. Received a email inviting me to hire sessions. Locations with a date and time. Received a phone call confirming my attendance. Arrive early. The session begins at 8:00 sharp and they want the attendance taken before that. They give you a briefing. They let you know upfront the reason there are not people lined up from the hotel to the high way is because of the life sacrifices you make starting out. They also tell you if you fail the drug test you will be put in a database and blacklisted for a lot of jobs. Then they tell you the perks of it and give you a 15 min break to consider everything. 3 people out of 20 didn't return after the break. You then take an aptitude and personality test. They grade it and ask you to leave the room while they make the final cut for interviews. Interview is straight forward. I don't think anyone that wore jeans, boots, and wore a hat made the cut. They cut it down to 8. I was lucky enough to be told everything sounded great at the conclusion of my interview. The next morning I got the conditional job offer. Now I am scheduling my physical and background test.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in December 2014.

Interview

Interview was pretty early, I believe around 8am. The actual interview process was simple. I had a phone interview which asked basic interview questions and then I had a final interview 4 weeks later in Atlanta where I basically explained my resume.

Maintenance of Way/Structures Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in November 2014.

Interview

Spoke to recruiter at the University career fair. Applied online. Asked to complete a reasoning test online. Scheduled a phone interview. Flown in to Atlanta on Thursday, Interview with HR and hiring manager for about 30 minutes on Friday Morning. Called with an offer a week later

Interview Questions

• Very laid back and great conversational style interview   Answer Question

Maintenance of Way Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

Applied for summer internship on company website. Didn't get an invite for an interview until about 4+ weeks later. Initial phone interview with HR Rep lasted about 30 mins. Asked how much I knew about the position, my academics, and leadership experience. Discussed the position in more detail, and then invited me for a face-to-face interview. For 2nd interview, met with an HR rep and an engineer in the company. Asked basic interview questions and went in-depth about the position. Only about 20 - 30 mins.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Salary is set.

Mechanical Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

Interview

Got connected with the recruiter at a career fair. They had me take an assessment online. Then they called me about a month later with a phone interview. Next day, I get email to attend a webinar and to schedule my flight. Went to Atlanta, missed the dinner because of class earlier that day. Still got to sleep in the hotel that night though. Following day, had two part interview at the office. First one was with a HR person and a head engineer. That went okay. Second one was a HR person and a regional manager. All behavioral.

Interview Questions

Interview

I had an interview directly following a career fair. Interviewed with two guys. Asked a lot about leadership experience. Were impressed with my knowledge of the company. Following interview was asked to move on to second stage, an online questionnaire.

Interview Questions

• How would you be an effective leader with workers who are 30 years older than you?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Norfolk Southern   Answer Question

Transportation Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Champaign, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview was about 30 minutes in front of two people. Typical behavioral interview questions were asked. They really wanted to know if you would be a good leader therefore good manager. So many questions had to do with past leadership experiences and things of that sort.