Norfolk Southern Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

2.8

Maintenance of Way Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

Applied for summer internship on company website. Didn't get an invite for an interview until about 4+ weeks later. Initial phone interview with HR Rep lasted about 30 mins. Asked how much I knew about the position, my academics, and leadership experience. Discussed the position in more detail, and then invited me for a face-to-face interview. For 2nd interview, met with an HR rep and an engineer in the company. Asked basic interview questions and went in-depth about the position. Only about 20 - 30 mins.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Salary is set.

Mechanical Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in November 2014.

Interview

Got connected with the recruiter at a career fair. They had me take an assessment online. Then they called me about a month later with a phone interview. Next day, I get email to attend a webinar and to schedule my flight. Went to Atlanta, missed the dinner because of class earlier that day. Still got to sleep in the hotel that night though. Following day, had two part interview at the office. First one was with a HR person and a head engineer. That went okay. Second one was a HR person and a regional manager. All behavioral.

Interview Questions

Interview

I had an interview directly following a career fair. Interviewed with two guys. Asked a lot about leadership experience. Were impressed with my knowledge of the company.
    Following interview was asked to move on to second stage, an online questionnaire.

Interview Questions

• How would you be an effective leader with workers who are 30 years older than you?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Norfolk Southern   Answer Question

Spring Semester Co-op Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in November 2014.

Interview

First you are required to take the accessment test. After the test I got a call from recruiter to set up initial phone screening. About a week later I was invited for on-site interview.

Transportation Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Champaign, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview was about 30 minutes in front of two people. Typical behavioral interview questions were asked. They really wanted to know if you would be a good leader therefore good manager. So many questions had to do with past leadership experiences and things of that sort.

Interview Questions

Interview

You are contacted by email from Norfolk to go down to the corporate headquarters. The interview is with a group of individuals with different backgrounds where you learn about the company and the different opportunities. Then you are taken to a separate 1 on 1 interview were you are asked more detailed questions about your past experience.

Interview Questions

• They ask a lot of questions about your experience in the field you are trying to be hired for. I didn't encounter any strange or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

My interview process started at school. It seemed that this interview was to see if I met the basic requirements - G.P.A, Major, etc.. My next interview was more at the end of an information session. Once again a very basic interview. My next two interviews were with the department managers versus HR. These interviews were very intense and specific. They asked a lot of analytical and customer service questions.

Interview Questions

• Many technical and analytical questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Operations Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied online. After a few days, I was asked to complete an online assessment. After 3 weeks, they invited me for an on-site interview. I was also asked to participate in an hour long virtual career day (it was a presentation about the company) which is necessary for all the people who want to work for the company. In the interview, first, they gave all the candidates for this internship position a test (an hour long or something like that). The test was about concepts of OR, statistics, and logic of programming. After the test, each interviewee went to a separate room for their interviews. I was interviewed by two of the managers. The questions were very detailed about the resume and whatever I mentioned there. After a week or so from my interview, they called me to tell me about the offer and then they send me the offer via email.

Interview Questions

• Questions are all from your resume. So, make sure you know your own resume!   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was an internship. So, no negotiation

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in October 2014.

Interview

I spoke with recruiters at my school during a career fair who later contacted me to schedule an interview. I was then interviewed by two recruiters who were very polite and straight forward. It was a standard interview with mostly behavioral questions and being a student with limited job experience a majority of the interview was revolved around my resume and an explanation of the position itself and the training involved.

Interview Questions

• They did not ask any questions you should not expect during an interview.   Answer Question

Communications Signal Interview

Interview

Very straight-forward process. I did a prescreening interview after submitting my resume. They asked questions such as what is your leadership experience, do you have construction experience, what is your leadership style, etc. They emailed me saying they wanted an on-site interview in which they flew me down to Atlanta, GA for a 45 minute interview with some high-up managers within the company. They asked tell me about a time that you had to troubleshoot, what is your experience with engineering, how would you go about fixing a malfunctioning circuit, and other similar questions.

Interview Questions

• There really were no difficult questions, just be confident and own the answers.   Answer Question