Norfolk Southern Interview Questions & Reviews

2.8

Operations Research Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

I applied the operations research intern / co-op position at their career website. Got a follow up online test. The test is not operations research or computer science based, more like a GRE test. You have easy verbal and math question, and then a personality test. Invited to Atlanta for a on-site interview. Took a sit-in exam about math/probability/computer science/operations research first, then talked to three person in the department and one HR.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Online assessment was extremely easy. Tests basic comprehension. Grammar questions and math questions. Way easier than SAT.
    Interview wasn't too intensive. Go in to the company for a day and talk directly to the groups you may be working with.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult questions. One group asked typical CS-y riddles.   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

In-person "pre-selection" interview on college campus. If selected, move on to an 8hr presentation and management test with another short interview to determine which department your skills fit into. If selected by that department, you'll be invited to a group dinner followed by 3 panel interviews.

Interview Questions
    • An understanding of the railroad industry and its challenges would be helpful but not required. Enthusiasm for managing others and working in a team is a plus.   Answer Question
    They do not negotiate salaries.

Supervisor/Yardmaster Interview

3 phase, job fair, interview ,fly to atlanta, second interview

Interview Questions
    • How can you supervise someone who knows more than you?   Answer Question
    nONE

Operation Research Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in September 2012.

online test, then on site interview with HR, department panel, also a paper based programming base test

not negotiable

Maintenance of Way Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in October 2013.

Met with recruiter at university career fair in late September after having applied to this specific position the night before. She seemed impressed that I had already done my work, told me more information about the company and position and went on our way. Couple weeks later was invited to complete the online assessment. 2 weeks later received email notification of interest in a phone interview and spoke with an HR rep. He asked me a couple questions off my resume (easy), why I want the position, and what I know about the position. 10 days later was invited for an onsite interview in Atlanta, they paid for my flight, hotel, and included a $50 card for expenses. Did the virtual career fair. They had ten candidates for this position, 5 at 9 am and the other 5 at 10 am. An HR rep and a department head interviewed me and explained the position, very basic interview questions such as why NS, what do you know about NS, why would you be a good fit, what do you bring to the table, and some resume questions.

Interview Questions
    • nothing difficult, just research the company well and be prepared for basic interview questions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Champaign, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in September 2013.

Single interview. I was interviewed by a person from HR and a Chief Engineer. They were very straightforward about what they expected from me They expect interns to devote their life to the company, pretty much. Expect to work 80 hour weeks and be on-call 24/7, working nights, weekends, and holidays. I didn't even want the job.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of the guys working out on the railroad like to joke around. If one of them makes a joke at your expense, how would you handle it?   Answer Question

Human Resources Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Norfolk, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

The process was very fast. Co-Op offer came within hours after the interview. Standard application with general background questions. They use the SAP software where you cannot cut and paste, so ensure you have adequate time to complete all modules.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were standard. One being, "do you like working on teams?" I assumed it was asked to check interpersonal skills, but I was put back when the interviewer said she didn't like working on a team. I wasn't sure what to do with that information. As if she was baiting me to open up.   View Answer
    Verbal over the phone. And then I came in after some medical appointments and security background check.

Coop Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in March 2013.

submit application on line, on line testing, phone call interview, on site interview

Intern Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

I met the recruiters at my university's career fair, and was told to apply online. Once I did, I was asked to take their management assessment test about two weeks later and was then contacted to come in for an onsite interview. An HR rep arranged my flight to arrive the day before the interview and they provided me with a hotel room.

When I arrived for the interview, I found out that HR had invited about ten other people as well. The morning began with a company overview and then candidates were called into one-on-one interviews. All of the HR reps were very nice and the employees I interviewed with were as well.

Interview Questions
    • Do you plan on getting your MBA or other graduate degree after you graduate?   Answer Question