Norfolk Southern

Updated Nov 5, 2014

2.8

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Online assessment was extremely easy. Tests basic comprehension. Grammar questions and math questions. Way easier than SAT.
    Interview wasn't too intensive. Go in to the company for a day and talk directly to the groups you may be working with.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult questions. One group asked typical CS-y riddles.   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Norfolk Southern.

In-person "pre-selection" interview on college campus. If selected, move on to an 8hr presentation and management test with another short interview to determine which department your skills fit into. If selected by that department, you'll be invited to a group dinner followed by 3 panel interviews.

Interview Questions
    • An understanding of the railroad industry and its challenges would be helpful but not required. Enthusiasm for managing others and working in a team is a plus.   Answer Question
    They do not negotiate salaries.

Supervisor/Yardmaster Interview

3 phase, job fair, interview ,fly to atlanta, second interview

Interview Questions
    • How can you supervise someone who knows more than you?   Answer Question
    nONE

Marketing Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in December 2013.

It was a quick process. I applied on Friday, they called on Monday, I had a phone interview Tuesday morning and had to take an online assessment that night and then I had a Skype interview on Wednesday. They called me about an hour after my Skype interview and offered. The Skype interview was more technical while the initial phone interview is what you'd expect from HR.

Interview Questions
    • What are all of the factors you believe would go into pricing a route?   Answer Question

Human Resources Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern.

The process was very fast. Co-Op offer came within hours after the interview. Standard application with general background questions. They use the SAP software where you cannot cut and paste, so ensure you have adequate time to complete all modules.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were standard. One being, "do you like working on teams?" I assumed it was asked to check interpersonal skills, but I was put back when the interviewer said she didn't like working on a team. I wasn't sure what to do with that information. As if she was baiting me to open up.   View Answer
    Verbal over the phone. And then I came in after some medical appointments and security background check.

Maintenance of Way Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in October 2013.

Met with recruiter at university career fair in late September after having applied to this specific position the night before. She seemed impressed that I had already done my work, told me more information about the company and position and went on our way. Couple weeks later was invited to complete the online assessment. 2 weeks later received email notification of interest in a phone interview and spoke with an HR rep. He asked me a couple questions off my resume (easy), why I want the position, and what I know about the position. 10 days later was invited for an onsite interview in Atlanta, they paid for my flight, hotel, and included a $50 card for expenses. Did the virtual career fair. They had ten candidates for this position, 5 at 9 am and the other 5 at 10 am. An HR rep and a department head interviewed me and explained the position, very basic interview questions such as why NS, what do you know about NS, why would you be a good fit, what do you bring to the table, and some resume questions.

Interview Questions
    • nothing difficult, just research the company well and be prepared for basic interview questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Norfolk Southern in October 2013.

Met at a career fair, gave them my resumes, texted me to set up an interview the next day. Had literally a 10 minute interview and than had to take a 3 part online assessment, now I am waiting to hear back.

Interview was basic questions, nothing about the actual railroad, he made it very clear to me that they would teach me all that it takes to work in there field. I interviewed with a worker and a recruiter at the same time, they asked questions mainly about how I would handle myself in situations like heavy lifting, or getting dirty in the work place since it is a very hands on job. Also asked me if I was willing to relocate, this seemed to be a make or break for them.

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern.

I met the recruiters at my university's career fair, and was told to apply online. Once I did, I was asked to take their management assessment test about two weeks later and was then contacted to come in for an onsite interview. An HR rep arranged my flight to arrive the day before the interview and they provided me with a hotel room.

When I arrived for the interview, I found out that HR had invited about ten other people as well. The morning began with a company overview and then candidates were called into one-on-one interviews. All of the HR reps were very nice and the employees I interviewed with were as well.

Interview Questions
    • Do you plan on getting your MBA or other graduate degree after you graduate?   Answer Question

Signal Maintainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hannibal, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hannibal, MO

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in September 2013.

Was very hard to get to the interview applied several time before invit

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in September 2013.

Single interview. I was interviewed by a person from HR and a Chief Engineer. They were very straightforward about what they expected from me They expect interns to devote their life to the company, pretty much. Expect to work 80 hour weeks and be on-call 24/7, working nights, weekends, and holidays. I didn't even want the job.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of the guys working out on the railroad like to joke around. If one of them makes a joke at your expense, how would you handle it?   Answer Question