Norfolk Southern Interview Questions

Updated Jun 16, 2015

2.8

Coop/ Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in September 2014.

Interview

Very friendly. Easy to talk to. Asked typical interview questions expected at any interview. Felt the overall experience was very positive from an interview standpoint as well as an experience standpoint. I look forward to moving on to the next steps and believe the interview experience is a reflection of the standards that Norfolk Southern holds themselves to.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time you faced adversity".   1 Answer

Machinist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Altoona, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Altoona, PA) in September 2014.

Interview

Went to a hiring session, listened to a spokesman talk about NS history, benefits, unions, locations and pay. He then turned presentation over to a plant foremen and he spoke of work conditions. Took an aptitude test, conducted an interview. Was called a week later to take physicals. Did not schedule, could not line up exit date (Military Retirement) with their start date.

Interview Questions

• Same questions that were on the application.   1 Answer

Conductor Interview

Interview

luck of the draw!! fill out online app, and placed into pool of about 300 applicants, then the computer filters out until its less than 100 applicants. then your invited to an interview.

Interview Questions

• There is nothing you could have possibly have done in the past that can prepare you for the railroad   Answer Question

OSS Representative Interview

Interview

Invited to hiring event. They were initially not prepared. I believe this was due to the hotel staff. We were given a broad overview of the company. Took an aptitude test, which if you didn't pass, you were out. If passed, took a typing test, which weeded out more people. Panel interviews were done next. It was an all day process. Hoping to hear back from them soon. They were honest and up-front about the hours, pay and environment.

Railroad Conductor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Allentown, PA) in August 2014.

Interview

I just went through a hiring session made it to final 7 did the interview they said wait 5 days to hear if your have a job offer. Do they mean 5 business days or 5 actual days because I'm going on 7 days Wich is also 5business days

Communications and Signals Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

I applied at my school's engineering career fair. The guy I talked to was pretty cool and the job seemed interesting. They seemed to like me too so I got an interview the next day. The interview was with an HR rep, so he didn't know too much about what I would be doing. But the interview questions were pretty standard: describe your management style, when you overcame a challenge, when you had to use critical thinking etc. I had to apply online of course after that. I got an email a week or two later about an interview in Atlanta. They flew me down to Atlanta and interviewed with the department heads and another HR rep. The questions were basically the same as before so it wasn't too bad. They also gave me a $50 gas card to cover my expenses. And a few weeks later I got a call that they were offering me a position.

Conductor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

Applied online, got an email saying i was invited to attend a job briefing, took a test that covered math, mechanical, reading, and personality (pretty basic stuff, most finished early.) Out of the 22 people who showed up, they posted a list afterwards of who they selected to interview, I think they hired 4 out of the 12 interviewed. Now i have my background check and medical check. I think the only reason why I got called for an interview is because my current job involves being very cautious, following the rules, and being safe. If you don't have any experience that you can easily relate to the life of a conductor...goodluck...

Interview Questions

• A lot of "what if" situational questions. Give specific examples of how you are safe in your current workplace, how would you deal with this conflict.. what would your boss say about you..   Answer Question

Negotiation

union

Conductor Interview

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in July 2014.

Interview

Applied for a conductor position out of Columbus, ohio. Got an email a day later saying I had been invited to a hiring session. Out of the 30 people they invited, 26 or so showed up. We took a 75 question test that involved reading, math, mechanical, and factual questions. Out of the 26 that came, 15 of us moved on to the actual interviewing process. The interview lasted no more than 15 minutes. They asked me question that they had asked previously on the application that I had filled out online. They also asked a couple questions about myself. They like people with outdoor work experience. It was an overall simple interview. The people who interviewed me were the train master and the hr lady.

Interview Questions

• Can you be at work within an hour and thirty minutes?   1 Answer
    • Have you ever worked around big machinery or equipment?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Don't act cocky or overly self-confident. Just relax, talk, and be yourself. The train master may not seem interested, but they really are listening. Try and crack a joke to make them laugh and remember you.

Management Trainee (Civil Engineer) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied on the NS website and a few weeks later received an email to complete an online assessment. The assessment felt like a SAT test and I was not prepared for it at all. After feeling like I did horrible on that a few weeks later I received a phone call from their HR dept asking me to schedule a phone interview. A few days later I did the phone interview and the first question that was asked was would I be ok with relocation. I wasn't prepared for that because I assumed the position would be in Norfolk. I reluctantly said yes to the relocation and continued with the phone interview, they were your typical questions and some were geared towards management and customer service. About a month after the phone interview I received a phone call for a in-person interview. They wanted me to fly to Atlanta the very next day but I wasn't availiable that soon so they scheduled me for a flight the next week. I flew down and took the Marta train to the NS building. I had to prepare a presentation about any relevant experience I had had. There were 3 people interviewing me. A HR person and 2 people from the deparemtent I would be working in. They pushed that relocation is an importmant part of the job and that engineers relocate quite often. I was shown around the office and then the told me that they as a few reservations about me. After that statement I knew I didn't get the job. After the interview I flew back home the same night and received an email that I didn't get it about a week later.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about relocation?
      In a room full of people how do you act? Do you go and start conversation with people or do you stand around and wait for someone to come up to you.

Answer Question

Interview

The interviewing process for NS is lengthy but thorough. The fist step is a phone interview in which basic questions are asked such as previous work experience and the challenges you occurred, how you handled them, how the skills learned can be transferred to the position at NS. The phone interview lasts about 30-45 minutes normally. I was asked for an interview in person in Norfolk about a week and a half later. They flew me down to Norfolk where we had a meet-and-greet dinner the night before the day of the interviews. During this dinner we chatted with other applicants - about 30-40 there for the 10 positions available - and were able to talk with our interviewers. The next day we had 3 interviews, lasting 1/2 hour each I believe. The first interview was with 3 people, second was with 5 people and 3rd with 4 people. They asked basic interview questions that if properly prepared for, are not all too challenging. I had a great experience with all of my interviewers and felt comfortable enough to be candid on a professional level.

Interview Questions

• A client wants to transport material X from location A to location B, what questions would you ask the client to properly price the shipment. This one threw me for a bit of a loop because it was a total direction change in the interview. All the questions previously had been about myself so this one caught me slightly off guard.   Answer Question

Great company with even better benefits, but as a recent college grad I wanted to travel for a year first before settling into my career.