Norfolk Southern

Updated Feb 20, 2015
Updated Feb 20, 2015

2.8

Co-Op Interview

Applied online, phone interview, then in person interview with hiring managers. Had to get a lot of medical tests even for an internship... But all worth it!

Interview Questions
    • Pretty basic interview for the internship process. They focus a lot on excel, and analytical ability, but don't test your ability, rather they take your word for it.   Answer Question
    No negotiation for interns

Internal Audit Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roanoke, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roanoke, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in March 2014.

I applied for the position in October 2013 and forgot all about it until I got a call in the beginning of March a couple days after that they scheduled a phone interview which was basic behavioral questions and then a week and a half after that I schedule an in-person interview. They flew me to Roanoke and put me up in a nice hotel and then I interviewed in front of 3 people and they asked pretty much the same type of questions as the phone interviewer, there were no technical questions. 5 days later I received a phone call and was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you interested in the transportation industry?   View Answer
    The salary is competitive but non-negotiable.

Government Relations Interview

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Applied and didn't hear back from them for 3 months. They sent an email inviting me to take an online assessment. Heavy on logic questions. Another 3 months went by before they email again asking me to do an interview. Did a phone interview with someone from HR. The following week they asked me to participate in an online seminar about working for the company, benefits, the rest of the hiring process, etc. After this had another phone interview with the supervisor of the posted position. About a week after that I received a very brief email saying they were no longer considering me.

Industrial Design Co-op Interview

Was contacted by an HR representative then asked to participate on an on campus interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is a difficult engineering situation you've encountered and how did you solve it?   Answer Question

Revenue Accounting Interview

Applied online. Received phone interview. Typical questions. Interviewer was very nice.

Operations Research Co-op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Applied on their career websites and got asked to do an online (GRE-like) test. Then asked to Atlanta for an interview. Basically there are two sections: paper test on operations research, statistics, IQ, and a SQL question for 1 hour, another programming (multiple choice) for 1 hour. Than talk with three people working in the team. Seems they are obsessed with integer programming problems.

Interview Questions
    • The paper tests are easy, need not much computation. The in-person questions are more practice-oriented and may require strong programming experience and skills.   Answer Question

Mechanical Interview

paper notification of testing, submitted resume competative testing, interveiw session afterwards, and then the wait.

Marketing Internship/Coop Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in February 2014.

Applied online then received email to complete an online assessment test. After completion of the assessment test I received a phone call to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview went well, very basic questions, and was invited to onsite interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a recent analytical project you completed.   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

A short phone interview, and then I was flown to Norfolk for a meet and greet and two interviews. I didn't get called back for a final interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would you develop a pricing strategy with a client?   View Answer

Operations Research Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern.

I applied the operations research intern / co-op position at their career website. Got a follow up online test. The test is not operations research or computer science based, more like a GRE test. You have easy verbal and math question, and then a personality test. Invited to Atlanta for a on-site interview. Took a sit-in exam about math/probability/computer science/operations research first, then talked to three person in the department and one HR.