Norfolk Southern

Relevance Date Difficulty

Management Trainee Interview

Management Trainee
Norfolk, VA

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview Details – First, they fly you to one of the cities where your job may be located. The night before the interviews, they held an information/networking session to get to know the people you will be interviewing with. The next day, the interviews take place, there are three separate interviews, a half hour each.

Interview Question – Not really a difficult question, but one I was unprepared for was, what motivated me.   View Answer

Co-Op Interview

Co-Op

Interviewed at Norfolk Southern

Interview Details – after applied on line, I got an email from HR ,giving me an assesment test.( a GRE verbal test and then personality test, 90 min total)
Then after I submitted the test on line. I recieved a phone call from HR and ask me to reply her email and set up a phone call interview. She metioned about a on site interview in Atlanta, GA next week but she did not include the details. I will ask for more info after tomorrow phone interview.

Interview Question – the GRE verbal question ask about Paleontologist...   Answer Question

Employee Interview

Employee

Interviewed at Norfolk Southern

Interview Details – Long hiring process; online form, phone interviews, in person interviews, and so on. The phone interview was quite laid back and not difficult. The in person interviews can be quite stressful, and expect them to berate you on any negative aspects of your life (intricacies of resume, criminal history, GPA, technical knowledge, etc)

Interview Question – What do you see as the most negative aspect of Norfolk Southern?   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

IT Trainee Interview

IT Trainee
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in March 2013.

Interview Details – Norfolk offered me an interview in Atlanta, GA office. They paid for my flight and lodging in a nice downtown suite. The hiring session was 5 hours long, w two interviews lasting 30 min a piece. Interview questions were all basic HR questions, nothing technical. We ended the day with a tour of the data center. four business days later I was informed I did not get the job. Although I was qualified and the interview went well, I assumed the female candidates got first dibs (yup, this company gave me that impression).

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself five years from now?   View Answer

Communications Engineer Interview

Communications Engineer

Interviewed at Norfolk Southern

Interview Details – Invited to apply by a co worker. Applied on line. Invited to take a skills assessment test. Contacted by HR for career day. The HR person forgot to record my RSVP. Career day was revealing. The HR people were immature and arrogant. I was left for 7 hours in a hall waiting for an interview. Not once was a cup of coffee offered or a snack. At 1:00 PM they thought that it might be a good idea to ask if we wanted lunch.

Interview Question – Would it be difficult to work in an antiquated engineering environment? NS uses its assets beyond the expected service life   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Better offer elsewhere

Operation Research Analyst Interview

Operation Research Analyst
Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview Details – One phone interview, one on-site interview including panel interview and written interviews. Sharp people, many projects. The whole process is challenging.

Interview Question – What is your technical weakness and how did you overcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They only offer contractor position. Negotiate with consulting firm about whole package, but no much space.

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in January 2013.

Interview Details – After receiving my application, they forwarded me a link to an assessment test consisting of old SAT-style questions. They were difficult, and I know I missed several. Nevertheless, I was asked to a phone interview. Everything went extremely well, and although I would've enjoyed the actual work, I came out with the perception that NS was focused highly on employee loyalty, something that, as an intern who is still evaluating where I want to be next year (much less five years down the road), I saw as a major issue.

Interview Question – All of them were relatively standard-- what is your greatest weakness? -- how have you demonstrated your capacity for leadership at your university?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer, Co-op Interview

Mechanical Engineer, Co-op
Roanoke, VA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in November 2012.

Interview Details – 2 rounds of phone interview from the HR, then the plant manager called to speak with me regarding my resume the 3rd time. The offer was made the next day without an on-site interview.

Interview Question – none, all of them are standard and basic behavior questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I chose to graduate early instead of taking a semester off

Acconts Payable Interview

Acconts Payable
Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in July 2012.

Interview Details – Was contacted by phone and email. Scheduled an on-site "informal" interview where the had a presentation of the benefits offered, which was followed of an on-line computer test and ended with a 10 minute face-to-face interview.
It was not hard at all, very relaxing and informal.

Interview Question – None.   Answer Question

Maintenance of Way Internship Interview

Maintenance of Way Internship
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in November 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online in early November. A few weeks later I received an email from the company asking me if I wanted to complete an online assessment. After the online assessment, the next morning I got an email asking if I wanted to conduct a phone interview. At the conclusion of the phone interview, was asked if I would like to fly into Atlanta and complete a face to face interview. My phone interview was Tuesday afternoon and I ended up flying into Atlanta Wednesday afternoon. The interview was Thursday morning, and after that was given a $50 American Express card to use to cover expenses and such. I flew back out of Atlanta Thursday evening. Within 5 days I heard back from them and they said they were unable to offer further consideration at this time. The next day I also got an invitation to complete a virtual career fair. Overall a very demanding couple days, but a great experience nonetheless.

Interview Question – Explain how you like to get dirty while working.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Norfolk Southern