Norfolk Southern

Updated Jan 14, 2015

2.8

Human Resources Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern.

The process was very fast. Co-Op offer came within hours after the interview. Standard application with general background questions. They use the SAP software where you cannot cut and paste, so ensure you have adequate time to complete all modules.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were standard. One being, "do you like working on teams?" I assumed it was asked to check interpersonal skills, but I was put back when the interviewer said she didn't like working on a team. I wasn't sure what to do with that information. As if she was baiting me to open up.   View Answer
    Verbal over the phone. And then I came in after some medical appointments and security background check.

Maintenance of Way Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in October 2013.

Met with recruiter at university career fair in late September after having applied to this specific position the night before. She seemed impressed that I had already done my work, told me more information about the company and position and went on our way. Couple weeks later was invited to complete the online assessment. 2 weeks later received email notification of interest in a phone interview and spoke with an HR rep. He asked me a couple questions off my resume (easy), why I want the position, and what I know about the position. 10 days later was invited for an onsite interview in Atlanta, they paid for my flight, hotel, and included a $50 card for expenses. Did the virtual career fair. They had ten candidates for this position, 5 at 9 am and the other 5 at 10 am. An HR rep and a department head interviewed me and explained the position, very basic interview questions such as why NS, what do you know about NS, why would you be a good fit, what do you bring to the table, and some resume questions.

Interview Questions
    • nothing difficult, just research the company well and be prepared for basic interview questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Norfolk Southern in October 2013.

Met at a career fair, gave them my resumes, texted me to set up an interview the next day. Had literally a 10 minute interview and than had to take a 3 part online assessment, now I am waiting to hear back.

Interview was basic questions, nothing about the actual railroad, he made it very clear to me that they would teach me all that it takes to work in there field. I interviewed with a worker and a recruiter at the same time, they asked questions mainly about how I would handle myself in situations like heavy lifting, or getting dirty in the work place since it is a very hands on job. Also asked me if I was willing to relocate, this seemed to be a make or break for them.

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern.

I met the recruiters at my university's career fair, and was told to apply online. Once I did, I was asked to take their management assessment test about two weeks later and was then contacted to come in for an onsite interview. An HR rep arranged my flight to arrive the day before the interview and they provided me with a hotel room.

When I arrived for the interview, I found out that HR had invited about ten other people as well. The morning began with a company overview and then candidates were called into one-on-one interviews. All of the HR reps were very nice and the employees I interviewed with were as well.

Interview Questions
    • Do you plan on getting your MBA or other graduate degree after you graduate?   Answer Question

Signal Maintainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hannibal, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hannibal, MO

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in September 2013.

Was very hard to get to the interview applied several time before invit

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in September 2013.

Single interview. I was interviewed by a person from HR and a Chief Engineer. They were very straightforward about what they expected from me They expect interns to devote their life to the company, pretty much. Expect to work 80 hour weeks and be on-call 24/7, working nights, weekends, and holidays. I didn't even want the job.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of the guys working out on the railroad like to joke around. If one of them makes a joke at your expense, how would you handle it?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineering Co-Op Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Norfolk Southern.

I submitted an online application through the official website. After a week or so they sent me an email which links to an assessment test. The assessment test includes TOEFL type questions and personality test. I was approved and I did two phone calls with the HR department and the shop manager.

Interview Questions
    • There were just normal questions that you can expect from phone interviews like 'why do you want to work for us?'   Answer Question
    They have pay rates depending on what years you are in at your school.

Information Technology Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online – interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

I applied for the position and about a week later I received an email to take an online assessment test. Two weeks after taking the test I received an email stating my interview would be two days later in Atlanta. The interview session conducted of a HR interview and interview with the department. The HR interview was basic behavioral questions. The departmental interview I was just asked about my troubleshooting abilities and what do I want to get from the company.

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Took an online assessment, got a phone interview, watched a live online powerpoint presentation, then got flown to ATL with hotel, flight, and $50 gift card all given to me. It was fun, good experience, very professional (long table, nice office). Easy interview lasted 15 mins probably

idk

Management Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Norfolk Southern.

First, they fly you to one of the cities where your job may be located. The night before the interviews, they held an information/networking session to get to know the people you will be interviewing with. The next day, the interviews take place, there are three separate interviews, a half hour each.

Interview Questions
    • Not really a difficult question, but one I was unprepared for was, what motivated me.   View Answer