Norfolk Southern

Getting the Interview

15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in March 2014.

Interview Details – Very positive experience all around. Everyone is nice. It started from college. I had a interview face to face on campus and was then flown down to ATL about a week or two later. Once there they set you up with a room in a hotel close by and you meet up for dinner. After dinner, you're free for the rest of the night. The next day you have your interview. Two separate interviews and they ask pretty basic questions. If you find yourself stressed out just remember its mainly about how you answer your questions! They want to see how you react under scrutiny and stress. Good Luck! I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

Interview Question – Do you know about Ohm's Law?   Answer Question

Management Trainee

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview Details – A short phone interview, and then I was flown to Norfolk for a meet and greet and two interviews. I didn't get called back for a final interview.

Interview Question – How would you develop a pricing strategy with a client?   View Answer

Management Trainee

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview Details – In-person "pre-selection" interview on college campus. If selected, move on to an 8hr presentation and management test with another short interview to determine which department your skills fit into. If selected by that department, you'll be invited to a group dinner followed by 3 panel interviews.

Interview Question – An understanding of the railroad industry and its challenges would be helpful but not required. Enthusiasm for managing others and working in a team is a plus.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They do not negotiate salaries.

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in October 2009.

Interview Details – Initial application was on company website (in 2008, for some reason I could only go back as far as 2009 on here) for trainee program. I received an email within a week inviting me to a hiring session. The session was led by several HR employees, with nearly 100 other applicants in attendance. The first part of the session consisted of the HR reps explaining about the company, the different departments, and the various management paths available through the trainee program. We had to select several paths to be considered for, and then we broke for lunch.

After lunch, during which each table had an HR rep sitting with them, we took a personality/leadership test with over 200 questions. The test took several hours, after which we left. We were told qualified employees would be contacted if you were selected to move ahead in the process.

I received an email inviting me to fly to Norfolk a week or two later. I flew into Norfolk, and stayed at a hotel very close to their HQ. The night before my interview there was a meet and greet session with all the different executives, and every person who was there to be interviewed for a specific department had dinner with one of the executives from that department. Basically just chatted, talked about life, nothing serious.

The next morning I had 3 different individual interviews with various department members. There were at least 2-3 NS team members (HR, department) in the room during the interview. They asked about my experiences, why I was qualified for this job, and if I could handle everything that was expected. They made it clear you were likely to move quite a bit and would have to relocate to Norfolk for 15 months, and then relocate again (that's since been changed). I told them I had an offer from another company and needed to know if I was chosen within 2 days. I got a call 5 hours later when I arrived home that I had been chosen and was emailed an offer letter that week.

Interview Question – Can you handle being on call and relocating on a consistent basis?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, everyone starts at the same salary (varies by department).

Norfolk, VA

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview Details – First, they fly you to one of the cities where your job may be located. The night before the interviews, they held an information/networking session to get to know the people you will be interviewing with. The next day, the interviews take place, there are three separate interviews, a half hour each.

Interview Question – Not really a difficult question, but one I was unprepared for was, what motivated me.   View Answer

Norfolk, VA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in May 2012.

Interview Details – I was called a week in advance and asked if I would like to come out for an interview. I said yes and was flown in and put up in a hotel. I was in a room with 10 other people who were from diverse backgrounds. The overall process took about 4 hours with me being the last one to take my one on one interview.

Interview Question – Explain why you have chosen the path that I was on?   View Answer

Norfolk, VA

The process took a day - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in March 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and received email to complete an assessment and then 2 days later got an invitation to career day. I flew in the night before and on interview day, they had me complete another assessment and and interview with HR manager.

Interview Question – What is something that you know very well and can easily present or explain to other others.   Answer Question

Roanoke, VA

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in December 2011.

Interview Details – Attended a Career Fair at a University and dropped off my resume/ said a few words. Three weeks later I received email and phone call about attending a Norfolk Southern career day at a location about one mile from my University. Before the career day I took an online intelligence and personality test. At the career day there were six other potential employees, all of which attended my University. Then an Norfolk Southern HR employee gave about a two hour presentation on the company, benefits, job responsibilities, etc. The HR employee told us to pick which management trainee position fit us best and we then had about a 15 minute one on one interview with the HR employee. About one month after the career day I received an email and phone call inviting me to attend the final interview stage with the department I was applying for in Atlanta, Ga. The first night of this event is a dinner/ social where we get to ask former management trainees about their experience. The second day consists of two interviews. Each interview is with a department head and an HR representative. They asked basic interview questions. This concluded the event. About one week after this, I was offered a job. The whole process took 2-3 months. However, I think the length of the hiring and interviewing process can vary significantly.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – This position is non negotiable.

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in October 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was held at NS in downtown Atlanta. I arrived 30 minutes early, and almost all the seats in the lobby were full. Probably 30-40 candidates total. First, they gave a presentation about the benefits, job descriptions, and they give you a chance to update your application. Then they split us into 2 groups...one went to interviews, and the others took a smaller version of the assessment they made you completed before you got to the interview process. The whole thing took about 4 hours. about 1.5 of those hours was just waiting to get interviewed.

Interview Questions

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in November 2010.

Interview Details – Applied to the Revenue Accounting Trainee position and forgot about it because I did not hear from them until nearly 8 months later. Received an email inviting me to the Career Day in Atlanta. I was provided a hotel to stay in and money for gas/food since I was coming from out of state.

The career day begins with a presentation concerning information about the position, the company, and the benefits (insurance, vacation, etc). Also, they invite a lot of people, so you may be with about thirty plus people. Once that is over and all questions are answered, they hand out a Personality and IQ Test. They say it is not timed so there is no need to rush. It wasn't difficult, just long. During the test, they took people back for a 1:1 interview (there were 2 people doing interviews to hurry things along) which is only 10 min answering general questions from the application. It was a relaxed setting. The presenters/interviewers seemed very friendly, although they stress the kind of stringent ways they do things. The best part of the day was probably the lunch they provided- it was good. I was there from 8am to 4:15, so it can take a very long time! I was so exhausted by the time they called me for my interview, I think it showed. Then they tell you that if you hear from them soon, bad news and if it takes more than two weeks, they are probably interested in bringing you back for another interview.

After two weeks and 3 days (the day after Thanksgiving nonetheless), I received the dreaded email, thanks but no thanks we're going with other people. They have so many applicants that it was no surprise, especially since these companies act like a new grad should magically have 2-3 years of work experience straight out of college. I honestly think that they bring a lot of people in just to say that they are actively hiring and have a number of openings in this sorry economy.

So, basically it was a nice little vacation for me and an opportunity for experience in long, strenuous interview sessions.

Interview Question – no unusual or difficult questions   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Norfolk Southern

Worked for Norfolk Southern? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Norfolk Southern Management Trainee interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Norfolk Southern employees and interview candidates.