Norfolk Southern

Average Difficulty
18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Norfolk Southern

Interview Details – I submitted my resume at a college career fair and was contacted to weeks later to attend an information session. At the session, HR reps gave detailed information about the jobs they were looking to fill and administered a personality test and some sort of logic/common sense test. Lunch was provided, then each attendee was assigned a time for a one on one interview with an HR rep. Mine went great! I was contacted again by HR 2 weeks later and invited to an overnight session for a second round of interviews. NS paid for travel and hotel stay. Night one was a general Q and A and dinner with HR. The following morning were the 2nd and 3rd interviews. I was contacted two weeks later and offered a position.

Interview Question – What makes you a leader?   View Answer

Norfolk, VA

I applied online - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in February 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process was a huge waste of time. You meet with 10-14 people in one day, and it was clear early on that they had already made a decision (i.e. did not want to hire another attorney). The labor relations group that I was interviewing with did not seem to have much input on the pool of candidates, which meant that candidates like me (attorneys) were not weeded out earlier.

Interview Question – What do you know about the railroad?   View Answer

Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in March 2014.

Interview Details – Very positive experience all around. Everyone is nice. It started from college. I had a interview face to face on campus and was then flown down to ATL about a week or two later. Once there they set you up with a room in a hotel close by and you meet up for dinner. After dinner, you're free for the rest of the night. The next day you have your interview. Two separate interviews and they ask pretty basic questions. If you find yourself stressed out just remember its mainly about how you answer your questions! They want to see how you react under scrutiny and stress. Good Luck! I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

Interview Question – Do you know about Ohm's Law?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management Trainee

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview Details – A short phone interview, and then I was flown to Norfolk for a meet and greet and two interviews. I didn't get called back for a final interview.

Interview Question – How would you develop a pricing strategy with a client?   View Answer

Management Trainee

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview Details – In-person "pre-selection" interview on college campus. If selected, move on to an 8hr presentation and management test with another short interview to determine which department your skills fit into. If selected by that department, you'll be invited to a group dinner followed by 3 panel interviews.

Interview Question – An understanding of the railroad industry and its challenges would be helpful but not required. Enthusiasm for managing others and working in a team is a plus.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They do not negotiate salaries.

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in October 2009.

Interview Details – Initial application was on company website (in 2008, for some reason I could only go back as far as 2009 on here) for trainee program. I received an email within a week inviting me to a hiring session. The session was led by several HR employees, with nearly 100 other applicants in attendance. The first part of the session consisted of the HR reps explaining about the company, the different departments, and the various management paths available through the trainee program. We had to select several paths to be considered for, and then we broke for lunch.

After lunch, during which each table had an HR rep sitting with them, we took a personality/leadership test with over 200 questions. The test took several hours, after which we left. We were told qualified employees would be contacted if you were selected to move ahead in the process.

I received an email inviting me to fly to Norfolk a week or two later. I flew into Norfolk, and stayed at a hotel very close to their HQ. The night before my interview there was a meet and greet session with all the different executives, and every person who was there to be interviewed for a specific department had dinner with one of the executives from that department. Basically just chatted, talked about life, nothing serious.

The next morning I had 3 different individual interviews with various department members. There were at least 2-3 NS team members (HR, department) in the room during the interview. They asked about my experiences, why I was qualified for this job, and if I could handle everything that was expected. They made it clear you were likely to move quite a bit and would have to relocate to Norfolk for 15 months, and then relocate again (that's since been changed). I told them I had an offer from another company and needed to know if I was chosen within 2 days. I got a call 5 hours later when I arrived home that I had been chosen and was emailed an offer letter that week.

Interview Question – Can you handle being on call and relocating on a consistent basis?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, everyone starts at the same salary (varies by department).

Norfolk, VA

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview Details – First, they fly you to one of the cities where your job may be located. The night before the interviews, they held an information/networking session to get to know the people you will be interviewing with. The next day, the interviews take place, there are three separate interviews, a half hour each.

Interview Question – Not really a difficult question, but one I was unprepared for was, what motivated me.   View Answer

Norfolk, VA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in May 2012.

Interview Details – I was called a week in advance and asked if I would like to come out for an interview. I said yes and was flown in and put up in a hotel. I was in a room with 10 other people who were from diverse backgrounds. The overall process took about 4 hours with me being the last one to take my one on one interview.

Interview Question – Explain why you have chosen the path that I was on?   View Answer

Norfolk, VA

The process took a day - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in March 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and received email to complete an assessment and then 2 days later got an invitation to career day. I flew in the night before and on interview day, they had me complete another assessment and and interview with HR manager.

Interview Question – What is something that you know very well and can easily present or explain to other others.   Answer Question

Roanoke, VA

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in December 2011.

Interview Details – Attended a Career Fair at a University and dropped off my resume/ said a few words. Three weeks later I received email and phone call about attending a Norfolk Southern career day at a location about one mile from my University. Before the career day I took an online intelligence and personality test. At the career day there were six other potential employees, all of which attended my University. Then an Norfolk Southern HR employee gave about a two hour presentation on the company, benefits, job responsibilities, etc. The HR employee told us to pick which management trainee position fit us best and we then had about a 15 minute one on one interview with the HR employee. About one month after the career day I received an email and phone call inviting me to attend the final interview stage with the department I was applying for in Atlanta, Ga. The first night of this event is a dinner/ social where we get to ask former management trainees about their experience. The second day consists of two interviews. Each interview is with a department head and an HR representative. They asked basic interview questions. This concluded the event. About one week after this, I was offered a job. The whole process took 2-3 months. However, I think the length of the hiring and interviewing process can vary significantly.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – This position is non negotiable.

Worked for Norfolk Southern? Contribute to the Community!