Norfolk Southern Management Trainee Interview Questions

Updated Aug 11, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online through NS's website and had an employee referral. About a week after I applied I was contacted by an HR representative to schedule a phone interview. During the phone interview they asked me basic questions about my resume (high school and college), nothing too in depth. About a week or so after the phone interview I was contacted for an in-person interview in Norfolk, VA. They flew me in, paid for my flight and hotel. The evening before the interview we were taken to dinner with 2 HR reps and the other (3) candidates. This was a time for us to get to know one another and ask any questions we had about the position/department/company/industry. Our actual interviews were the next morning at the NS corporate offices. The interviewees were very nice! It was two panel interviews, a half hour each. A few days after the in-person interview I was contacted by an HR rep who told me that they would like to fly me to Atlanta to interview for a different position with a different department, but that I was still being considered for the other job. I accepted this interview and the process was the same as the initial interview that I had in Norfolk. Overall, I had a very positive experience with NS. Their management trainee positions are extremely competitive. They are looking for the best of the best and for candidates who want to grow with the company. NS is a wonderful company with a lot to offer their employees (upward advancement, benefits, etc). I was not offered the first position I applied for, but I was offered (and accepted) the position in Atlanta! Do a lot of research on the company and tie your answers back to company values/facts. They want to make sure you are as invested in them as they are in you. The interview questions were somewhat tricky and required a lot of preparation. I prepared extensively for this interview through researching the company and reading interview reviews online.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach an employee who isn't performing like they should be?   Answer Question
  • What would you need to know in order to give a customer a quote for transporting a material from location A to location B?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you analyzed data (using Excel - pivot tables).   Answer Question
  • When was a time you had to settle a conflict?   Answer Question
  • Do you have any customer service experience? When was a time you had to deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Norfolk Southern

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

Most of the questions were based on the railroad industry which i had little to no knowledge of as a recent graduate. For an entry position, one's is not too familiar in depth with the company. I wish there asked more questions about my experience than specific detail they do as a company.

Interview Questions

• What are the things that a customer would want to know before doing business with norfolk southern?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Interview process was straightforward. One of my interviewers was very nice and easy to talk to while to other one was distant and cold, almost like the interview was an imposition to him. Overall, I did not get a good feeling from the company and would not have taken a position there if offered.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

My interview process started at school. It seemed that this interview was to see if I met the basic requirements - G.P.A, Major, etc.. My next interview was more at the end of an information session. Once again a very basic interview. My next two interviews were with the department managers versus HR. These interviews were very intense and specific. They asked a lot of analytical and customer service questions.

Interview Questions

• Many technical and analytical questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Management Trainee Interview

Interview

I submitted my resume at a college career fair and was contacted to weeks later to attend an information session. At the session, HR reps gave detailed information about the jobs they were looking to fill and administered a personality test and some sort of logic/common sense test. Lunch was provided, then each attendee was assigned a time for a one on one interview with an HR rep. Mine went great! I was contacted again by HR 2 weeks later and invited to an overnight session for a second round of interviews. NS paid for travel and hotel stay. Night one was a general Q and A and dinner with HR. The following morning were the 2nd and 3rd interviews. I was contacted two weeks later and offered a position.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in April 2014.

Interview

Flown into Atlanta all expenses paid for. Higher ups from the company are brought in for a question and answer panel where interviewers can have general questions asked. The following day are the interviews. Generally there are two seperate ones. One with an HR representative, one with the higher ups. They will ask a lot of questions about your personal safety and how you feel supervising older people who have been out there longer than you may have been alive. Leadership is big and be prepared to have examples of specific times you overcame challenges as a leader.

Interview Questions

• Describe one time when you overcame an obstacle of a leader. Or had to Deal with a negative team player.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roanoke, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Roanoke, VA) in April 2014.

Interview

Applied online in March. Received an email for a phone interview. 2-3 days after phone interview attended virtual career day. In person interview a few days later with 4 department heads lasting about 30 mins each. Before the interview did a writing sample. Still waiting to hear about offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern (Atlanta, GA) in March 2014.

Interview

Very positive experience all around. Everyone is nice. It started from college. I had a interview face to face on campus and was then flown down to ATL about a week or two later. Once there they set you up with a room in a hotel close by and you meet up for dinner. After dinner, you're free for the rest of the night. The next day you have your interview. Two separate interviews and they ask pretty basic questions. If you find yourself stressed out just remember its mainly about how you answer your questions! They want to see how you react under scrutiny and stress. Good Luck! I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

Interview Questions

• Do you know about Ohm's Law?   1 Answer

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

A short phone interview, and then I was flown to Norfolk for a meet and greet and two interviews. I didn't get called back for a final interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you develop a pricing strategy with a client?   1 Answer

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Norfolk Southern.

Interview

In-person "pre-selection" interview on college campus. If selected, move on to an 8hr presentation and management test with another short interview to determine which department your skills fit into. If selected by that department, you'll be invited to a group dinner followed by 3 panel interviews.

Interview Questions

• An understanding of the railroad industry and its challenges would be helpful but not required. Enthusiasm for managing others and working in a team is a plus.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They do not negotiate salaries.