Norfolk Southern

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Charleston, WV

I applied online - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in March 2010.

Interview Details – Everyone is in a large Hotel conference room. Promptly starts @ 8am, if you are late, you are done. Test, Interview, and usually know if you got the job within 48 hours.

Interview Question – Questions are driven about safety.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Set by union

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in May 2010.

Interview Details – I applied to Norfolk Southern in May 2010. It took about a month from the date I submitted my application to the time I was selected to go to the interview process. There were about 500 applicants that applied and out of those 500 about 75 were selected. There were about 15 positions open for conductor. We gathered at a hotel conference room and had to listen to someone explain about the railroad for 2-2.5 hours. Their biggest concern is safety. You’ll work a lot hours in the field and will be on call. After that we were issued a skills tests. Some of the questions contained basic math, reading, and mechanical questions. The test was about 2 hours long. Depending on how one scored on the exam, there were about 25 chosen for the interview process. Unfortunately I was not one of them that were chosen. It started at 9 and was finished by 2:30 give or take.

Interview Question – The most difficult about the interview was the exam. Some of the questions were easy while others were difficult especially the math. When I took the exam, I was in my senior year of college and trying to go back a couple of years and remember some of the problem solving. I think this is what caused me not to do very well on the exam. I never found out how I did on the exam.   Answer Question

Railroad Conductor

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in July 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring session consisted of 87 people. Of those 87, 23 were chosen to continue. Of the 23 only 13 received an interview that day. The other 20 were placed on the viable candidate list.

Interview Question – Would you have any issues with working shift work and being on call?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Norfolk Southern

Worked for Norfolk Southern? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Norfolk Southern Railroad Conductor interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Norfolk Southern employees and interview candidates.