Norfolk Southern

Updated Aug 11, 2014

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allentown, PA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allentown, PA

I applied online – interviewed at Norfolk Southern in August 2014.

I just went through a hiring session made it to final 7 did the interview they said wait 5 days to hear if your have a job offer. Do they mean 5 business days or 5 actual days because I'm going on 7 days Wich is also 5business days

Other Interview Reviews for Norfolk Southern

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in May 2010.

I applied to Norfolk Southern in May 2010. It took about a month from the date I submitted my application to the time I was selected to go to the interview process. There were about 500 applicants that applied and out of those 500 about 75 were selected. There were about 15 positions open for conductor. We gathered at a hotel conference room and had to listen to someone explain about the railroad for 2-2.5 hours. Their biggest concern is safety. You’ll work a lot hours in the field and will be on call. After that we were issued a skills tests. Some of the questions contained basic math, reading, and mechanical questions. The test was about 2 hours long. Depending on how one scored on the exam, there were about 25 chosen for the interview process. Unfortunately I was not one of them that were chosen. It started at 9 and was finished by 2:30 give or take.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult about the interview was the exam. Some of the questions were easy while others were difficult especially the math. When I took the exam, I was in my senior year of college and trying to go back a couple of years and remember some of the problem solving. I think this is what caused me not to do very well on the exam. I never found out how I did on the exam.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, WV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, WV

I applied online – interviewed at Norfolk Southern in March 2010.

Everyone is in a large Hotel conference room. Promptly starts @ 8am, if you are late, you are done. Test, Interview, and usually know if you got the job within 48 hours.

Set by union

Railroad Conductor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Norfolk Southern in July 2012.

Hiring session consisted of 87 people. Of those 87, 23 were chosen to continue. Of the 23 only 13 received an interview that day. The other 20 were placed on the viable candidate list.

Interview Questions
    • Would you have any issues with working shift work and being on call?   View Answer