Norfolk Southern Railway

Norfolk Southern Railway Interview Questions

Updated Oct 12, 2014
Updated Oct 12, 2014

RACS Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Norfolk Southern Railway.

On campus Interview. Very laid back... When my name was called I responded and went in to the interview room. As we walked there I asked about the night before. During the interview we talked about football and other things for a majority of the time. He had a few HR type questions to ask that were pretty much a breeze, but I really don't remember.

Track Laborer Interview

Applied and recieved email for group interview session about a week later. Went to interview session where orientation took place. If after orientation you took a test....same test on application process. If invited back after that you had a f2f interview with 4 people who asked basic questions

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever worked with heavy equipment...hydralic (sp?) or peunmatic (sp?) drills   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roanoke, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roanoke, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Norfolk Southern Railway in April 2014.

Applied online in March. Received an email for a phone interview. 2-3 days after phone interview attended virtual career day. In person interview a few days later with 4 department heads lasting about 30 mins each. Before the interview did a writing sample. Still waiting to hear about offer

Railroad Freight Conductor Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern Railway.

Very detailed and thorough for selecting applicants

Mechanical Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Norfolk Southern Railway.

If you want weekends off and have many obligations in your life this is not the industry for you. Interview is tough and is focused on all things safety as this is the most important part of the job. Unless you've been a railroader nothing you've done is like this so don't try to compare a previous job to the railroad, it won't work.

None

Lead Packaging and SCCM Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern Railway in April 2013.

Two interviews - first to get an idea of who you are and if you're a good fit, second to get more detailed in technical areas and personality fit - fantastic people to interview with

Aptonet is my vendor - they were very understanding and flexible

Management Trainee Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Norfolk Southern Railway.

Filled out application online. Was sent an email to do an online skills assessment test. Also behavioral test. Then given intial interview and second skills/behavioral test to confirm initial test. Then two day final interview. First day was information about the company then dinner with some of the senior management and hr. Second day two round of interviews with senior management and hr.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard question. Is it better to be feared or respected? Are you OK working outside/weekends/off shifts?   Answer Question
    No, negotiation. Salary was set.

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern Railway in July 2012.

I first took the online assessment test which consisted of the Verbal test and Personality test. I was called the next day that I passed and was flown to Atlanta for the Interview phase. I interviewed with the HR hiring manager (She was really friendly(don't get carried away though) and would tell you your strengths from the interview) and the teams that matched my skills( One was physical and the other over the phone)

Interview Questions
    • The HR hiring manager asked all the basic behavioral questions(Why Norfolk, Leadership Skills, Weaknesses etc)
      The technical team also asked scenario-based questions related to the Job, asked if i had ever had a disagreement with a team member and how it was resolved. etc

View Answer
    I could not negotiate as the salary was fixed.

Maintenance of Way Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Norfolk Southern Railway in March 2012.

Interviews were held in Atlanta, Georgia. The two day process included a general aptitude test and information session on the first day, and a formal interview with Engineering Staff and HR Staff on the second day. NS provided travel and accommodations.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you deserve this internship more than your competitors?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Norfolk Southern Railway in February 2012.

Phone interview and IQ test followed by an interview in Norfolk. Company paid for airfare and hotel. Interview consisted of a ra ra session about the company followed by a one on one interview with a HR person. The H.R. person said I was the type of person they were looking for and I would be invited to a second interview the following week. I didn't hear back for 2 months, then i got the thanks but no thanks email. The H.R. person was very young and has obviously not learned that your word still means something to most people. Probably would not have accepted an offer but I felt like the process was very unprofessional.