Norfolk Southern Railway

Average Difficulty
24 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Roanoke, VA

I applied online - interviewed at Norfolk Southern Railway in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online in March. Received an email for a phone interview. 2-3 days after phone interview attended virtual career day. In person interview a few days later with 4 department heads lasting about 30 mins each. Before the interview did a writing sample. Still waiting to hear about offer

Interview Questions

Railroad Freight Conductor Interview

Railroad Freight Conductor

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern Railway.

Interview Details – Very detailed and thorough for selecting applicants

Interview Question – How much I made at my last job?   Answer Question

Mechanical Supervisor Interview

Mechanical Supervisor
Detroit, MI

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Norfolk Southern Railway.

Interview Details – If you want weekends off and have many obligations in your life this is not the industry for you. Interview is tough and is focused on all things safety as this is the most important part of the job. Unless you've been a railroader nothing you've done is like this so don't try to compare a previous job to the railroad, it won't work.

Interview Question – What is your definition of safety?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Maintenance of Way Intern Interview

Maintenance of Way Intern
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Norfolk Southern Railway in March 2012.

Interview Details – Interviews were held in Atlanta, Georgia. The two day process included a general aptitude test and information session on the first day, and a formal interview with Engineering Staff and HR Staff on the second day. NS provided travel and accommodations.

Interview Question – Why are you deserve this internship more than your competitors?   Answer Question

Lead Packaging and SCCM Engineer Interview

Lead Packaging and SCCM Engineer
North Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern Railway in April 2013.

Interview Details – Two interviews - first to get an idea of who you are and if you're a good fit, second to get more detailed in technical areas and personality fit - fantastic people to interview with

Negotiation Details – Aptonet is my vendor - they were very understanding and flexible

Information Technology Trainee Interview

Information Technology Trainee
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Norfolk Southern Railway in January 2009.

Interview Details – Hr,skills and personality test and later face to face

Interview Question – Nothing difficult   Answer Question

Management Trainee

I applied online and interviewed at Norfolk Southern Railway.

Interview Details – Filled out application online. Was sent an email to do an online skills assessment test. Also behavioral test. Then given intial interview and second skills/behavioral test to confirm initial test. Then two day final interview. First day was information about the company then dinner with some of the senior management and hr. Second day two round of interviews with senior management and hr.

Interview Question – Pretty standard question. Is it better to be feared or respected? Are you OK working outside/weekends/off shifts?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No, negotiation. Salary was set.

Conductor Interview

Conductor
Toledo, OH

I applied online and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern Railway in November 2011.

Interview Details – I hear many people have trouble getting in. I applied online, was called to a mass hiring session two weeks later, interviewed and was accepted. After a physical and background check, went to McDonough GA for training. Application to the school less than two months.

Interview Question – "Do you believe all accidents can be avoided?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - union has already done it for you.

Information Technology Interview

Information Technology
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern Railway in July 2012.

Interview Details – I first took the online assessment test which consisted of the Verbal test and Personality test. I was called the next day that I passed and was flown to Atlanta for the Interview phase. I interviewed with the HR hiring manager (She was really friendly(don't get carried away though) and would tell you your strengths from the interview) and the teams that matched my skills( One was physical and the other over the phone)

Interview Question – The HR hiring manager asked all the basic behavioral questions(Why Norfolk, Leadership Skills, Weaknesses etc)
The technical team also asked scenario-based questions related to the Job, asked if i had ever had a disagreement with a team member and how it was resolved. etc
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – I could not negotiate as the salary was fixed.

Norfolk, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Norfolk Southern Railway in February 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview and IQ test followed by an interview in Norfolk. Company paid for airfare and hotel. Interview consisted of a ra ra session about the company followed by a one on one interview with a HR person. The H.R. person said I was the type of person they were looking for and I would be invited to a second interview the following week. I didn't hear back for 2 months, then i got the thanks but no thanks email. The H.R. person was very young and has obviously not learned that your word still means something to most people. Probably would not have accepted an offer but I felt like the process was very unprofessional.

Interview Question – Have you had to fire anyone?   View Answer

Worked for Norfolk Southern Railway? Contribute to the Community!