Norfolk Southern Interview Questions in Roanoke, VA

Updated Apr 6, 2015

Management Trainee- Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roanoke, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Roanoke, VA).

Interview

I applied online, but I spoke with with recruiters when they came to my school. After speaking with them, later that day I received a call for an interview scheduled for the next day. Three weeks later I received a call wanting me to go up to Roanoke to interview with them as the final application process. This will happen next week, I guess i will update afterward.

Interview Questions

• They asked if i had experience working with engines   1 Answer

Sourcing Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Roanoke, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

1st interview was with a HR representative at my university. This interview was basically to ensure that you are not crazy. Pretty easy. The 2nd round was 4 one-on-one interviews with directors and a VP all who you ultimately would be working for. This interview was in Roanoke. There was also an essay to write which was a surprise since there was no warning about this prior to the interviews. The question is below. Seems self explanatory, but know EVERYTHING on your resume down to the details. Be ready to talk about your current classes.

Interview Questions

• Walk us through how you would figure out how to find the price we should pay for wheels that go on our trains.   Answer Question
    • If we wanted to in-house the teams that move our train crews to hotels and back when they reach their hours limits, what things would we need to look at to realize the cost of this proposition?   Answer Question
    • Tell me your background with negotiation, either professionally or personally.   Answer Question
    • What are you looking for out of Norfolk Southern?   Answer Question
    • Essay Question:

Background: We already have 1000 units of Electronic Video Systems installed on our trains. We want to obtain 500 more units. We put out a request for proposal from the company that we already have the systems from as well as their competitors. We received the quotes back and eventually decide to choose the current company anyways.

Problem: We have portions of our tracks that other railroad companies use as well. They utilize the competitor's electronic video systems which our users are not familiar with. To alleviate this problem, we want to obtain 1 system from each competitor so that we can look into the system to understand how it works and how to use it so that we can train our users. We reach out to the competitors and all but one respond with a quote. ABC company has 2 reservations about the request. 1.) We used the previous bid process to beat down their competitors prices and 2.) they are afraid that we would discover proprietary information about their system during our tests which could be leaked.

Write a brief email to ABC company using the above reasoning to encourage them to reconsider their decision concerning this request.

1 Answer

Internal Audit Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roanoke, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Roanoke, VA) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied for the position in October 2013 and forgot all about it until I got a call in the beginning of March a couple days after that they scheduled a phone interview which was basic behavioral questions and then a week and a half after that I schedule an in-person interview. They flew me to Roanoke and put me up in a nice hotel and then I interviewed in front of 3 people and they asked pretty much the same type of questions as the phone interviewer, there were no technical questions. 5 days later I received a phone call and was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in the transportation industry?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The salary is competitive but non-negotiable.

Mechanical Engineer, Co-op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Roanoke, VA) in November 2012.

Interview

2 rounds of phone interview from the HR, then the plant manager called to speak with me regarding my resume the 3rd time. The offer was made the next day without an on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• none, all of them are standard and basic behavior questions.   Answer Question

I chose to graduate early instead of taking a semester off

Accounting Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Roanoke, VA) in April 2012.

Interview

There were over 30 people competing for one, possibly two accounting clerk positions. The hiring managers were cordial, but could not advise how many actual positions were available, nor could they advise a tenative start date for the positions that were available. The candidates were briefed on safety practices, Norfolk Southern's history, and then salary information for the position. The candidates were then given a verbal/mechanical/personalilty test and a typing test. After this very long period the recruiters selected approximately 8 people out of the 30 plus for the 1:1 interview.

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roanoke, VA

Application

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Norfolk Southern (Roanoke, VA) in December 2011.

Interview

Attended a Career Fair at a University and dropped off my resume/ said a few words. Three weeks later I received email and phone call about attending a Norfolk Southern career day at a location about one mile from my University. Before the career day I took an online intelligence and personality test. At the career day there were six other potential employees, all of which attended my University. Then an Norfolk Southern HR employee gave about a two hour presentation on the company, benefits, job responsibilities, etc. The HR employee told us to pick which management trainee position fit us best and we then had about a 15 minute one on one interview with the HR employee. About one month after the career day I received an email and phone call inviting me to attend the final interview stage with the department I was applying for in Atlanta, Ga. The first night of this event is a dinner/ social where we get to ask former management trainees about their experience. The second day consists of two interviews. Each interview is with a department head and an HR representative. They asked basic interview questions. This concluded the event. About one week after this, I was offered a job. The whole process took 2-3 months. However, I think the length of the hiring and interviewing process can vary significantly.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

This position is non negotiable.