Norfolk Southern

Relevance Date Difficulty

Internal Audit Intern Interview

Internal Audit Intern
Roanoke, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for the position in October 2013 and forgot all about it until I got a call in the beginning of March a couple days after that they scheduled a phone interview which was basic behavioral questions and then a week and a half after that I schedule an in-person interview. They flew me to Roanoke and put me up in a nice hotel and then I interviewed in front of 3 people and they asked pretty much the same type of questions as the phone interviewer, there were no technical questions. 5 days later I received a phone call and was offered the position.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in the transportation industry?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The salary is competitive but non-negotiable.

Mechanical Engineer, Co-op Interview

Mechanical Engineer, Co-op
Roanoke, VA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in November 2012.

Interview Details – 2 rounds of phone interview from the HR, then the plant manager called to speak with me regarding my resume the 3rd time. The offer was made the next day without an on-site interview.

Interview Question – none, all of them are standard and basic behavior questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I chose to graduate early instead of taking a semester off

Accounting Clerk Interview

Accounting Clerk
Roanoke, VA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in April 2012.

Interview Details – There were over 30 people competing for one, possibly two accounting clerk positions. The hiring managers were cordial, but could not advise how many actual positions were available, nor could they advise a tenative start date for the positions that were available. The candidates were briefed on safety practices, Norfolk Southern's history, and then salary information for the position. The candidates were then given a verbal/mechanical/personalilty test and a typing test. After this very long period the recruiters selected approximately 8 people out of the 30 plus for the 1:1 interview.

Interview Question – Tell us about your work experience.   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

Management Trainee
Roanoke, VA

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Norfolk Southern in December 2011.

Interview Details – Attended a Career Fair at a University and dropped off my resume/ said a few words. Three weeks later I received email and phone call about attending a Norfolk Southern career day at a location about one mile from my University. Before the career day I took an online intelligence and personality test. At the career day there were six other potential employees, all of which attended my University. Then an Norfolk Southern HR employee gave about a two hour presentation on the company, benefits, job responsibilities, etc. The HR employee told us to pick which management trainee position fit us best and we then had about a 15 minute one on one interview with the HR employee. About one month after the career day I received an email and phone call inviting me to attend the final interview stage with the department I was applying for in Atlanta, Ga. The first night of this event is a dinner/ social where we get to ask former management trainees about their experience. The second day consists of two interviews. Each interview is with a department head and an HR representative. They asked basic interview questions. This concluded the event. About one week after this, I was offered a job. The whole process took 2-3 months. However, I think the length of the hiring and interviewing process can vary significantly.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – This position is non negotiable.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Norfolk Southern? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Norfolk Southern interview questions and advice in Roanoke, VA. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Norfolk Southern employees and interview candidates.