Nortel Networks

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Director Interview

Sales Director
Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Nortel Networks in January 2009.

Interview Details – This interview took place several years ago...not sure if it applies.
It was an internal hire so the interviewer knew me and we focused on the technology and where the business was going, how to grow it, etc.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was how to grow a certain business given the fact that it might not be the 'core' business driver for Nortel as a whole   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very straightforward.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Senior Product Manager

Interviewed at Nortel Networks

Interview Details – got this job thru internal interview process

Negotiation Details – internal

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Nortel Networks in March 2009.

Interview Details – I was called by phone to schedule an interview. This was followed by an email. The email details the location and time of the interview (but no names of interviewers).
I was interviewed by two people - a senior manager and my direct manager. The interview questions were majorly skill-based. They also asked a couple of behavioral questions. The interview took about 1 hour.

Interview Question – Have you had conflict with your colleagues? How did you resolve the conflict? What kind of people do you like working with?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no much room for negotiation. They offered salary within industry standard for new grads.

Verification Engineer Interview

Verification Engineer
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Nortel Networks.

Interview Details – apply to external postings

Interview Question – do you really think you can do this job   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Nortel Networks in January 2009.

Interview Details – Campus recruitment. Many questions with hiring manager.

Interview Question – Some technical question.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Member of Scientific Staff Interview

Member of Scientific Staff
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Nortel Networks in January 2008.

Interview Details – Sample code writing, behavioural questions, case studies, met with hr, met with other managers, new employees. gave office tour, met with hr. some on campus, some on site. flew to Ottawa.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here rather than in Toronto?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation possible

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Brampton, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Nortel Networks in January 2008.

Interview Details – In person interview, did not call back.

Interview Question – dont recall   Answer Question

Systems Testing Engineer Interview

Systems Testing Engineer
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Nortel Networks in July 2008.

Interview Details – Applied online, got an interview call from my future manager. I was jointly interviewed by another manager from the software group. Questions were mostly about work done in co-op terms, and other standard interview questions. Very friendly and low pressure interview experience. Got a job offer approximately 2 weeks later.

Interview Question – If you were given a non-functional circuit board assembly, how would you determine the root cause for the failure ?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Nortel Networks in June 2007.

Interview Details – I interviewed with 2 people that were the lead managers for the project. It was fairly informal and lasted about one hour. The skills they were looking for were quite specific and I had them due to my previous experience, so that contributed to make the interview less formal and less technical.

Interview Question – How do you measure you success?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nortel Networks in January 2007.

Interview Details – First, there was a fairly standard phone interview directly with the manager - no HR involvement. Standard questions were asked: Describe your experience with software development, projects worked on and a chance to ask some questions at the end. After that, an on-site interview was scheduled within a week.

The on-site interview was a panel interview with several people, including the manager, team lead and possible co-workers. Was asked to write code on a whiteboard, implementing fairly straightforward methods to demonstrate that I understood the language and problem domains. Talked a bit about the code and discussed alternate ways to arrive at the solution. Was then asked again to describe projects and past experience.

Overall, a fair process and they were quick to get back to me, within a week.

Interview Question – Implement a method to accomplish X (where X is a fairly trivial problem) and describe what exceptions it should throw, as well as what parameters it should take and the return type.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much leeway with negotiations, though relocation was provided after some haggling.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Nortel Networks

Worked for Nortel Networks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nortel Networks interview questions and advice in Canada. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Nortel Networks employees and interview candidates.