North American Lighting

www.nal.com

North American Lighting Interview Questions

2.3

Equipment Engineer II Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at North American Lighting.

I went through a series of interviews with this company - all of them were focused on project management skills.

My first interview was over the phone with the head of the department. Overall a very pleasant conversation that entailed a lot of "how did you deal with a situation like ____" types of questions. Very little, if any, questions about my technical ability. Most concern was focused on my ability to handle different scenarios and my past experience with juggling multiple projects.

The in-person interview followed about a month later and it was really more of the same as the phone interview. I sat down and took a somewhat lengthy personality test that gauged my ability to think quickly . They also wanted to take me around the plant to give me a better understanding of the types of tasks I would be doing. And since it is a very new career path for me, the manager stated again that they could teach me everything I needed to know about the robots - they were interested in project management and meeting the short deadlines.

Finally, I had a short follow-up phone interview with a manager that wasn't able to take part in my in-person interview. Asked a lot of the same questions - sounded like he just wanted to hear the answers for himself.

Overall a very good experience!

Interview Questions
    • What was a project that, when you arrived on site, was in deep trouble and how did you respond?   View Answer
    Call from HR with a base salary which I immediately refused. She asked what my minimum was and got back to me the next day with an offer that beat my minimum.

Production Supervisor, Muscle Shoals, AL Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Muscle Shoals, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Muscle Shoals, AL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at North American Lighting.

Initially contacted by recruiter and did phone screen with acting plant manager lasting 30 minutes. Nothing to difficult. Later invited to interview at Muscle Shoals facility.

1st took personality/knowledge test. Easy, but pointless.

Now met plant manager who I had phone interview with while waiting in the lobby Introduced myself, said thanks for having me, shook hands, he said he was busy, good luck and he might see me again. Ignored me next time he saw me.

Now one of the 2 assistant plant managers who were supposed to interview me wasn't there. So what do they do? Send a foreman would had been on the job 4 days to conduct the interview. Interviewed me in the lobby. Foreman told me he was nervous as he hadn't interviewed anyone before. He knew nothing about the parts, process or the company itself. I inquired about his training sofar at NAL. None. Now I was supposed to do a plant tour. My interviewer told me he knew were nothing was so maybe not a good idea. I insisted, pulled out my side shields and went out on the floor where we walked around in circles.

Now after we located the production office on the floor stepped in and met the other asst manager I was supposed to speak/interview with. Handshake, how do you do, thanks for inviting me, and that was literally it. I mean that was it. Now NAL is a Japanese company, I have automotive production experience, and speak Japanese, hence the reason they brought me it to interview. When I went into the production office the asst manager was sitting down using Alabama sign language to attempt to communicate to 2 Japanese mgrs/engineers, who were trying to tell him he needed to reduce his machine downtime. Not once was I tested on my ability or introduced to any of the Japanese expat's within the facility. Started to feel the pointlessness of my presence there.

OK, so back to the office where some lady who looked like my aunt introduced herself and told me to come with her. Looked like a truck driver so thought I was going to tour the shipping department. Taken into a conference room and interviewed for a department I wasn't supposed to be interviewing for. Name wasn't on the list of anyone I was to interview with, but basically no one was. Turned out to be a foreman from another department. Read through my resume, same as plant manager on telephone, but abbreviated fashion. Really asked me nothing I hadn't been asked already. I mean, these same questions had already legitimized my invitation there, flight, hotel, rental car, food, etc. Here's what I learned from our exchange, and I didn't pry any of this out of her:

1. This particular plant was the worst performing of all NAL plant in North America.
    2. Up until recently they were only achieving 60-68% delivery rates.
    3. Random drug testing had taken place recently with 130 plus employees let go. Out of nearly 1000 employees that's 13% of your workforce.
    4. HR had been let go, as well as some mgr's/supervisors. Spoke of some greasy business involving payments under the table.
    5. She was a grandmother.
    6. Company had been there since 2007. 6-7 plant managers since then, about 1 per year.

Absolutely true conversation. My responses: Muffled hmmm, and Oh Really?

Now I am taken to HR. I WAS scheduled to meet with this person. HR isn't ready so they ask me to wait in a cubicle somewhere. The reason HR isn't ready is because HR has never viewed my resume. Dry, unfriendly, reminded me of that elementary school teacher you had that had no business being an elementary school teacher since she didn't like kids. Got to love it when they don't even get your name right. Interviewed me with some high school kid working in the room. Watched as she perused my resume, then asked basically 3 questions. Why did yo leave your last job? Why do you want to moved to Muscle Shoals? How much do you want to make?, which had already been address by the recruiter so makes no sense to spend $1000 to fly me down just to lowball me. Asked absolutely zero about my experience. Nothing, zilch, zip.

And then it was over. Got in my rental car and got the hell out of there. Besides a few little snark comments, this is EXACTLY how it happened, and I leave out the fact that I spent a day in airports due to the weather, arrived so late the rental car company was closed and couldn't make it to the hotel they reserved, so had to find something at 1am, slept 3 hours, and then went to the interview, arriving only 15 minutes late. They knew all of this by the way, and gave me the crappiest, slapped together interview I have ever experienced. I thought, once extended the offer I would graciously decline.

So what happened in the end? Recruiter told me they really like me but I didn't have enough automotive experience. It was like the fat ugly kid in class turning down your prom invitation.

This place was stupid, out of control.

Interview Questions
    • Repeatedly asked why I wanted to move to Muscle Shoals, Alabama.   View Answer

Sales Representative (Toyota Team) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington Hills, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington Hills, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at North American Lighting in June 2010.

Had a phone screen with HR. She then invited me in to interview with the hiring team and also to take a skills test. I was then selected to come in for more interviews with the rest of the team. I was asked to come in again, as the manager who I was supposed to meet last time was busy. Everyone was generally nice and positive about the company.

Interview Questions
    I was offered the position. During the negotiation process the offer was rescinded. I found this to be VERY unprofessional. I was told that they had decided to pick an internal candidate for the position. I couldn't believe it. In this economy, to do that to someone is just wrong. I guess I'm glad I didn't end up there if that's how they treat people. So beware of this company!!

Supervisor - Plant Quality Control Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at North American Lighting in June 2011.

The hiring process consisted of a brief phone overview with HR manager which lead to an interview with Department Supervisor and Department Manager three weeks later. A final interview was held with a General Manager two weeks later. Approx. four weeks later HR manager called to make offer. Overall process was satisfactory but longer than expected to hear back from.

Interview Questions
    • Being a prior manager, how would your worst employee describe you?   Answer Question
    Company not willing to negotiate. Be prepared to accept offer as is or walk away. No negotiating.