North Carolina State University Research Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2015

2.8

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

Talk with your PI. Just the standard apply process. He may ask you about your background, your motivation for research, papers you have published. The experience you gained from the past research work, etc. Overall, you should be sure about your interest before choosing an advisor and research field, because you will stick with it for 5 years.

Interview Questions

• Different for different areas. It is hard to provide any suggestions here.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for North Carolina State University

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at North Carolina State University (Raleigh, NC) in September 2012.

Interview

Three days before the interview I sent an email to my professor, expressing my interest in his research and introducing my background. Two days later, the professor responded to me and asked me to go to his office to talk. I talked to him. He showed me around his lab, asked me some questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at North Carolina State University (Raleigh, NC) in August 2011.

Interview

Very straight-forward. Asked about experience, career goals, research desires, work ethic, teamwork skills, etc. No one grilled me on any topics. Pretty easy process. And had quick return offer. The entire process took MAYBE 2 weeks. Overall pleasant experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at North Carolina State University (Raleigh, NC) in February 2010.

Interview

Interactive work culture. Interview process is fair.

Interview Questions

• Why don't you work in a company instead of a university   1 Answer

Negotiation

Easy since there was a salary freeze and not much could be done

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at North Carolina State University (Raleigh, NC) in May 2008.

Interview

Interview consisted of a phone interview and a one page report on project goals.

Interview Questions

• What was the X-Ray source used in the X-ray diffractrometer you used for your master's research?   1 Answer
    • Questions about research and work ethic   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation since it was a PHD research assistant job