North Highland

Average Difficulty
34 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at North Highland.

Interview Details – I wasn't impressed with the fact that they put me through a very extensive interview process and would go weeks in between with no feedback or follow-up. By the time they made a decision to make me an offer - at which point I'd assumed that they weren't interested - I'd moved on to a different opportunity. They seem like a decent company, but I have no regrets about not waiting around for them to make a decision.

Interview Question – No difficult questions - pretty unstructured standard stuff.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – After my final interview session, I hadn't heard anything for 3 weeks, so I went with another opportunity elsewhere. Things seemed a bit disorganized internally.

Very Easy Interview

Change Management (Manager/Senior Manager) Interview

Change Management (Manager/Senior Manager)
Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at North Highland in May 2014.

Interview Details – -I was contacted on LinkedIn by Recruiter #1.
-Phone interview with Recruiter #1 went well. Told them I'm interested in Strategy but have experience in Change Management (a big need to fill at North Highland). Once they heard that - the recruiter had tunnel vision. Recruiter #1 referred me to Recruiter #2 who specialized in Change Management.
-Phone interview with Recruiter #2 went well. Requested that I talk with a Principal.
-Phone interview with Principal was okay. I stumped her on a few questions. They weren't able to tell me or direct me to online cases of past services, online examples of tools or Intellectual Property for this service offering, or give examples of how they (personally) are creating IP. If you can't show clients or potential candidates what you offer or any case studies, something may be wrong.
-Asked to fill out a cultural assessment online. Tried logging in 4 different times with no success.
-Regardless, I was asked to come into the office to interview with 3 more people. After reading the information below, I decided to decline). The next round includes Skill, Cultural, and Business Development interviews (probably the biggest indicator of success at this company - what can you sell and get a bonus / % of the work you migrated to NH)- what a joke!..

I read though the glassdoor company reviews and the obvious became very clear. This company is a glorified staffing agency. Their P&L are run at the local offices. If your geographic location suffers, your "team" gets hit. For example, the principal I interviewed with mentioned that the DC office hasn't been able to grow more than 30 people because there isn't enough work. Also, when the primary industries suffer, other office locations will try to share the work - but it was pretty obvious that the other offices will look after their own before sharing work. They also stay away from "large" contracts because they "prefer to deliver multiple short wins with small teams." In my opinion, you can do that on large contacts - they are called milestones. Their pay structure is very odd and some reviews from current employees confirmed potential earning risks (low base + bonus that is never met or watered down by firm or local office P&L).

The other red flag was their "ranking in consulting magazine" as one of the best firms to work for. If that's the ONLY place on the internet that you are ranked, something must be up! Someone on glassdoor mentioned that that ranking might be doctored/influenced. I might agree. If you aren't on VAULT.COM, Forbes, etc, you aren't a "top 5" consulting firm.

Don't get suckered in by "limited/no travel" and big bonuses. I can't see any opportunities for growth (unless you are a principal or someone towards the top of the pyramid. Read the current & past employee company reviews. You will be able to spot the ones posted by NH :)

Interview Question – What are the 3 characteristics you would like to see in you boss?
Why North Highland? - yes, this one was a little tough for me!
  Answer Question

Senior Manager/Principal Interview

Senior Manager/Principal
Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at North Highland in February 2014.

Interview Details – Two telephone interviews with separate HR screens. Then conducted three consecutive, in person interviews on site at the local office. One interview was with the executive. Very boring engagement. The other two were about capabilities and culture and these were much better conversations. Very engaging Principals were involved.

Interview Question – What would your approach be to evaluate whether a utility should partner with a retailer to provide big box store solar solutions on location?   View Answer

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and interviewed at North Highland.

Interview Details – I received an email from the talent acquisition manager. A few emails were exchanged about a date and time for the phone interview. She asked what number she should call and I gave her my cell phone number. On the day/time of the interview, I waited 20 minutes for the call. I realized she probably forgot about my email with my cell number and checked my home phone voicemail. Sure enough, she called there and left a rather terse message. I called her back (she proceeded to tell me she wasn't sure she'd have time to interview me now) and awful wouldn't even begin to even describe her attitude. This was even after I politely explained to her that we had a whole email exchange about her calling my cell that she must've forgotten about. I wanted to end the interview early because she spent the whole time snapping and making remarks under her breath. It was truly horrible and I felt as though I was back in HS again dealing with a Regina George-esque queen bee. I sent a professional thank you note after my interview despite the behavior of the talent acquisition manager. Never heard anything from her one way or the other about the job. Very unprofessional.

Interview Question – All questions were difficult since she made it her mission to make me feel bad after I (nicely) called her out on her mistake. The interview was one of the worst experiences I've had in my ten year career. My opinion of North Highland is not good after that interview.   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at North Highland in February 2011.

Interview Details – Had an initial phone interview with the Recruiter and then met with 3 people in the office

Interview Question – Questions were generally specific to my background and cultural alignment   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I negotiated a minimum bonus for the first year

Communications Lead Interview

Communications Lead

I applied online - interviewed at North Highland in July 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by their recruiter and told the position would be six months, maybe more. The realty: two weeks into the job, I received an email stating that we would roll off the following week. We did not get an extension. The recruiter in Charlotte never reached out to me in any way.

Interview Question – There were none   Answer Question

Principal Interview

Principal
Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at North Highland in September 2013.

Interview Details – Started quickly enough, but ended up taking over a month for three interviews. After interviewing with a 'peer', it turns out they are looking for project managers. Took 1 email per week for three weeks to get a response saying they were moving in a different direction. First couple of interviews were quite 'normal', basic talk for fit but no communication between HR and the "technical" interviewer. Neither he nor I had a good understanding of either the position that I was interviewing for. Not particularly organized was my takeaway. Maybe that just means they are extraordinarily busy. Anyway, not the most organized bunch from my limited exposure. Everyone was exceptionally courteous and professional along the way, but at no point untli the last interview did I have a sense of what they were looking for, and it did not match at all with the job description posted.

Interview Question – Nothing really, it just didn't seem to match the position of "principal consultant". Neither screener I spoke with seemed to be able to define the role.   Answer Question

Director of Business Intelligence Interview

Director of Business Intelligence
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at North Highland in May 2013.

Interview Details – I was called in for an all day affair after a phone interview, which is normal for these positions. The ENTIRE TEAM was detached.
The president was yawning at the interview. Another person admitted that he hadn't even seen my resume yet!

Interview Question – For the question to be difficult people have to be engaged enough   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Principal Interview

Principal

I applied through other source and the process took 6 months - interviewed at North Highland in October 2009.

Interview Details – Interpersonal communication and collaboration are rated high at North Highland. Therefore the interview process can be lengthy and will involve multiple people at the company.

There seem to be no standardized hiring or interview process, so the interviewing style and manner come down to the respective hiring manager (typically an office or practice leader, Vice President).

Vice Presidents at North Highland are so infatuated with admiration for their own company and its contribution to society that interviews often turn into self-advertising events, with little or no actual conversations about the candidate's skills, knowledge, desires, hopes for the future - which is probably for the better, as what North Highland's Vice Presidents promise in terms of remuneration and career advancement opportunities at North Highland near never come true. In fact, Vice Presidents are not empowered to make such decisions anyway, as career and pay development are tightly controlled by the central leadership group in Atlanta/Georgia.

Also: Be aware that you can expect gender and race bias.

Interview Question – None. Most of the interview time is used for North Highland self-advertisement only.   View Answer

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at North Highland in September 2009.

Interview Details – The process is basic: Interviewers evaluate candidates for cultural fit, expertise & ability to deliver, and ability to sell.

Interview Question – What is your approach to sell to a new account? This is not necessarily the most difficult question but it is the most important one to get an offer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – With the state of the economy there is little negotiation

Worked for North Highland? Contribute to the Community!