North Highland Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.5

Data Analysis Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at North Highland.

Interview

This is a intern position. I got the referral from an employee. So I got the interview very soon. That was not difficult. We did two rounds 1:1 interview. The process was very comfortable for me. They asked me to describe myself ,what work experience I had before and talk about one project I did. After about one week, I got the offer of the internship.

Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at North Highland.

Interview

1:1s with team members spaced out over two months with no communication between each interview. One of the interviewers was looking out of the window most of the time and didn't seem to be very concerned with anything. Another interviewer had a huge ego even though they never did any real 'consulting' work. There are so many other great firms to work for who aren't snobby and arrogant. I would stay away from this place as they will waste your time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at North Highland (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2015.

Interview

Overall the interview process was very positive. The HR team conducted an initial phone screen, then helped me prepare for my follow on interviews. North Highland traditionally recruits seasoned consultants, but they are interested in bringing in candidates with diverse experiences to round out their consulting team. The staff was very positive about the future of the company and the balance between work and family life.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at North Highland.

Interview

Standard process, in as much as 1) Apply Online 2) Recruiter Screening 3) Schedule in-person (if local) or Phone interview with hiring manager and peer(s). I applied through a social media online tool, which sounds much like "meepedin". A recruiter contacted me two and a half weeks later. This is a general screening conversation for qualifying 1) experience and 2) salary. It seems if you are of interest you will receive benefit, hiring and company informational attachments. Additionally, the screening is summarized and presented to the hiring manager, I assume, to select with whom they would like to interview. This assessment selection took another three weeks. The invitation to complete an online application is emailed, and is a typical employment application however I noted on prior employment it seemed as though they are mostly interested in your salary history more so than what the role did. The in person interviews is where I became appalled by North Highland. The first interview was with a principle of the firm and this individual did not have a resume copy or pen. The questions where pulled from the air. The questions were the standardized and typical behavioral interview questions, "Tell me about a time when....” conflict, managed people, hard decision, yada, yada, yada. The other interviews did not contain a single question and where info session and testimonials on their placement service. One interviewer spent 15 minutes outside the interview room chatting up a recruiting member going to a campus event. When he did decide to start the interview, because she had to go, he told me about her trip and asked "doesn't that sound fun?" No, witnessing your Madman office dynamic does not intrigue me to the least. What would be “FUN” is showing respect for interview candidates and your staff.

Interview Questions

• standardized and typical behavioral interview questions, "Tell me about a time when....” conflict, managed people, hard decision, yada, yada, yada   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kissimmee, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at North Highland (Kissimmee, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

Basis phone interview. The first step in being hired. Recruiter stated my resume would be send to one of the managers for review and possible call back. Stated they had to fill 3-4 posyions to people who had left company.

Manager Interview

Interview

Started with a lot of informal conversations through personal contacts and it took 2 months to finally get a formal interview. It seems like the company has some smart ambitious people but the recruiting process is completely broken. Behavioral questions, interview itself wasn't very hard. Ultimately, I was told the interviews were fine but no longer a need.... well, if that's the case, why even invite me for the interview. After getting the run around, I wasn't really sold on them so I have no qualms about not getting offer. Other reviews on Glassdoor confirm my experience.

Interview Questions

• Why North Highland? Walk me through your resume type stuff   Answer Question

Principal Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at North Highland (Minneapolis, MN) in December 2014.

Interview

Very fast. This process involved around five people. Consensus is what their looking for from this process. The interviews tend to go fast with them doing most of the speaking. They will set up a time and have you meet with three team members back to back. Typical process.

Interview Questions

• What are some of your past project roles? (Don't expect anything difficult or unexpected from interviewing at North Highland)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Basking Ridge, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at North Highland (Basking Ridge, NJ).

Interview

This interview process was by far the longest and most un-orderly interview process that I have had to date. While I spoke with some highly competent and talented individuals inside of the company, I would urge senior management to re-evaluate and streamline the hiring process. Late in October 2013, I was contacted by a Sr. Recruiter from inside of the company who conducted a standard phone interview. Shortly thereafter in November 2013, I was put in contact with another Sr. Recruiter who conducted an additional phone interview; he remained my main point of contact throughout the entire interviewing process. After this conversation, I was sent an email to complete an employment application which I completed in its entirety (I was sent two additional emails in June 2014 and October 2014 to complete this same application). Due to the holiday season and as could be expected, my next set of interviews weren't scheduled until January 2014. From January 2014 until October 2014 I spoke with 11 people from the firm in total (2 VP's, 2 talent acquisition members, 3 Senior Consultants, 2 Principal Consultant and 2 Senior Managers) which included 2 in person interviews and 9 phone conversations. I was also sent an email in January 2014 to complete a cultural assessment, which I completed in its entirety. I was sent another email in October 2014 to complete this same cultural assessment. Throughout the process, I mainly initiated contact to remain on top of my application and the process. The recruiter who was my main point of contact was great with responding to my inquiries immediately but not with initiating contact. I was met with responses such as "will see about keeping the interview process flowing", "we remain very interested", "working with senior leadership to help engage new hires", "we are experiencing a slight hold and don't want to bring new hires on without a project", "things are re-progressing slower than expected due to mid-year business reviews", "let's engage in 2 months". While most of these responses seemed valid it would have been great to be kept aware of these "issues" without having to initiate contact. It also seemed that the fix to an extremely slow process or the fact that there wasn't a current business need was masked by scheduling more interviews. Eventually, the recruiter who was my main point of contact left the firm and again, I only became aware of this information by initiating contact. A new recruiter reached out to me a couple of weeks later and scheduled a phone call to debrief about my process. It was under his management that I was actually sent the employment application and cultural assessment again. I was also scheduled for an additional interview with one of the same people that I spoke to prior to him taking over my process. I would recommend that there be a seamless transition process put in place or reevaluated to avoid any type of re-work. Eventually I accepted an offer at another firm and withdrew my name from candidacy. All in all, North Highland shows a lot promise, a conclusion I came to from the various conversations that I had throughout my process. Unfortunately, action speaks louder than words and I wish I was met with a better representation of the firm from my first points of contact. I am hoping that this was an isolated incident and experience!

Manager, Change Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at North Highland (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Over the course of 5 months; I interviewed with 7 different people. The first interview was over the phone with the recruiter, second in person, 3rd and 4th over the phone, 5/6th interviews (final) in person. This was one of the worst interview experiences I have had in my 10 years of work. I was told I did not express enough interest in the company after 5 months of interviewing. While the recruiter was a genuinely nice person, those at the Manager level and above were snobby, complacent and arrogant. The overall impression that I had of the place was that you are not good enough to be here with us...mind you I have an undergraduate Ivy League degree and an MBA from a top 10 school... hmmm isn't that odd? Unfortunately, every negative sentiment shared by their former employees seems to be true at this place. I'm picking up a trend with boutique consulting firms; they seem to get very defensive when you ask them about resource utilization and their pipeline; which seemed to be the case here. To me that is a big red flag regarding the health of the business. If they call you, politely say no and Carry On! The time you invest to prepare for interviews is extensive so it is just not worth it!

Interview Questions

• If I was interested in becoming a partner?   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at North Highland (Columbia, MD) in September 2014.

Interview

This was a wonderful interview process. The best part was the enthusiasm each interviewer had for the company. They were very organized in setting up each interview and it was obvious that they had shared information about previous interviews. Although there wasn't a position for me at the time, they have been in touch ever since.

Interview Questions

• All questions were thoughtful and relative to the position.   Answer Question