North Highland

2.6

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Basking Ridge, NJ
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Basking Ridge, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at North Highland.

This interview process was by far the longest and most un-orderly interview process that I have had to date. While I spoke with some highly competent and talented individuals inside of the company, I would urge senior management to re-evaluate and streamline the hiring process.

Late in October 2013, I was contacted by a Sr. Recruiter from inside of the company who conducted a standard phone interview. Shortly thereafter in November 2013, I was put in contact with another Sr. Recruiter who conducted an additional phone interview; he remained my main point of contact throughout the entire interviewing process. After this conversation, I was sent an email to complete an employment application which I completed in its entirety (I was sent two additional emails in June 2014 and October 2014 to complete this same application). Due to the holiday season and as could be expected, my next set of interviews weren't scheduled until January 2014. From January 2014 until October 2014 I spoke with 11 people from the firm in total (2 VP's, 2 talent acquisition members, 3 Senior Consultants, 2 Principal Consultant and 2 Senior Managers) which included 2 in person interviews and 9 phone conversations. I was also sent an email in January 2014 to complete a cultural assessment, which I completed in its entirety. I was sent another email in October 2014 to complete this same cultural assessment.

Throughout the process, I mainly initiated contact to remain on top of my application and the process. The recruiter who was my main point of contact was great with responding to my inquiries immediately but not with initiating contact. I was met with responses such as "will see about keeping the interview process flowing", "we remain very interested", "working with senior leadership to help engage new hires", "we are experiencing a slight hold and don't want to bring new hires on without a project", "things are re-progressing slower than expected due to mid-year business reviews", "let's engage in 2 months". While most of these responses seemed valid it would have been great to be kept aware of these "issues" without having to initiate contact. It also seemed that the fix to an extremely slow process or the fact that there wasn't a current business need was masked by scheduling more interviews.

Eventually, the recruiter who was my main point of contact left the firm and again, I only became aware of this information by initiating contact. A new recruiter reached out to me a couple of weeks later and scheduled a phone call to debrief about my process. It was under his management that I was actually sent the employment application and cultural assessment again. I was also scheduled for an additional interview with one of the same people that I spoke to prior to him taking over my process. I would recommend that there be a seamless transition process put in place or reevaluated to avoid any type of re-work. Eventually I accepted an offer at another firm and withdrew my name from candidacy.

All in all, North Highland shows a lot promise, a conclusion I came to from the various conversations that I had throughout my process. Unfortunately, action speaks louder than words and I wish I was met with a better representation of the firm from my first points of contact. I am hoping that this was an isolated incident and experience!

Other Interview Reviews for North Highland

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at North Highland in September 2014.

Spoke with two recruiters over the phone before an in-person interview was scheduled. I was contacted by the firm via a LinkedIn request. I interviewed with three people on-site in their offices. It was not a difficult interview but it was more insulting and I felt like it was an opportunity to gain insight on a competitor. I work for a local competing firm.

During the interview the interviewer suggested that I was too senior for the job that they could not meet my requirements, my international interests posed an issue and, lastly i was too risky a hire because my current firm might seek a non compete suit against me and that I might have to work in another industry thus making me a commodity and would provide little value to the firm.

Interview Questions
    • I mentioned that I was interested in international opportunities... This was a mistake. He thanked me for my candor and proceeded to tell me that this was not a smart investment for the firm. I wanted to walk out of the interview- as I had a feeling this was his intend.

But the industry is very connected in this town so I remained silent and finished the interview. He basically told me I would not get the job but he would check in with the team to determine interests. After almost three weeks of waiting I emailed the recruiter to ascertain a status. The recruiter emailed me later in the day to say they were going to pass. That is fine but I think that person asked too many questions about the firm I was working for to believe that North Highland had any real interests in assessing my fit into their company and culture. I am not the only person in my firm that received LinkedIn messages from this firm trying to dig up information on our firm. We have warned a number of people too beware of unsolicited interests from this firm.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at North Highland in February 2011.

The process is by design long and slow. We ensure that applicants considered for employment are qualified and most importantly the right fit for our culture and values. The team dynamic and atmosphere is one of the most important traits that we provide for our clients, and this is validated through our hiring. 3-4 interviews face to face before an applicant meets with a hiring VP who has final say, based upon the needs of the office and the skill sets available.

Interview Questions
    • How does North Highland fit into your career goals and aspirations.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at North Highland in January 2011.

The interview process consisted of two meetings with current North Highland employees on two separate projects, a personality test and an aptitude test. There was no case study. All of these were fairly straightforward.

Advice I would give to others would be to become very familiar with the culture of North Highland as the interviews are generally personality interviews instead of interviews to asses your skills (as people generally are found via referrals so it's assumed the skills are there). In addition, ask lots of questions about the various accounts and roles you may fill within these accounts as these can vary widely. It's often not been decided what role you will fill at the point of the interview, so become as familiar as you can with all of your options at the time of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Because most of the new business within North Highland is generated through existing accounts or employee connections, many questions will be asked about your comfort level leveraging your network.   Answer Question
    There is really very little salary negotiation with North Highland, which is something that's brought up (or at least it was with me) during the interview phase. Just make sure you have a good understanding of what you will really receive in salary, bonus and stock options. I've found that these can be often be inflated by the person presenting the offer. Some key questions to ask are what number of hours per week are required to acheive the "sample" bonus presented, how the various sales bonuses can be earned and how the company performance bonus is calculated.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at North Highland in September 2008.

Initial interview was from a contractor North Highland used as their HR person. The contractor subsequently left the firm after I was contacted (not sure of reason). Interviews were then scheduled at Arlington office. Three interviews, very simple. Stressed compensation system, which I thought had a lot of issues and was big turnoff. I rescinded after first round of interviews, sounded like they were resume shopping for project proposals and not really hiring

Interview Questions
    • Asked about most challenging situation faced in consulting   Answer Question

Compensation system is poorly designed and appeared to by hyped

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at North Highland in July 2011.

Phone interview with talent acquisition resource (basic qualifying questions). Several one-on-one interviews over approx. 4 rounds (basic interview questions - "tell me about yourself", etc.). Skills and personality test and drug test once offer was presented. Aside from taking 3 months, the interview process is less grueling than some I've been through. Understandably, they'd like to ensure they're getting the best candidates.

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at North Highland in December 2010.

First had a phone interview with HR.
    Then got called for a 1:1 interview and flown to the D.C. location
    Had 3 interviews- cultural, skills, then Vice President.

- Strongly encourage mentioning business development- had questions regarding how I would increase business for North Highland

Interview Questions
    • Name something you failed at (not one of those turning a failure into a positive thing)   Answer Question
    • Describe how you would approach company X about north highland if they have never heard of it   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at North Highland in October 2010.

Initial set of 2 1 on 1 interviews as a first round. One behavioral, one more informal. Both interview processes focused on company and personality fit - it was not a direct series of questions that had a right or wrong feel. Interviewers were comfortable sharing a good deal of information.
    Second round consisted of 2 additional 1:1 interviews and a group interview. Both of these were longer, in the 1 hour to 90 minute range. Again, more informal and the conversations and questions addressed were diverse.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself over the next 5 years and how does this position help you attain those goals?   Answer Question