North Jersey Media Group

Relevance Date Difficulty

Freelance Reporter Interview

Freelance Reporter

Interviewed at North Jersey Media Group

Interview Details – Once you submit an application, you come in to see how it works. And you're pretty much bird at that point

Reporter Interview

Reporter
Woodland Park, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at North Jersey Media Group in May 2013.

Interview Details – The editor was very friend and very upfront about what the position entailed and offered. I respected his honesty.

Interview Question – There weren't any difficult questions, however the editor made a point to emphasize that reporters work long days and strange hours, which is to be expected.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Classified Interview

Classified
Woodland Park, NJ

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at North Jersey Media Group in August 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview, 2 in person interviews.

Interview Question – How do you manage people when 2 reps fight over same account.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations

Staff Reporter/Staff Writer Interview

Staff Reporter/Staff Writer
West Paterson, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at North Jersey Media Group in January 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was simple. Applied for a position which was posted in The Bergen Record. After the company received my resume and writing samples, I received a phone call from the company around three days afterwards. The call was to simply ask me to come in for a 1-on-1.
  The 1-on-1 interview was split between a getting to know you/skills interview. Went over background, what I could bring to the table and how comfortable I was with covering multiple towns on a daily/weekly basis.
  After I left, I received a phone call from the hiring manager 4-5 days later.

Interview Question – Do you know what an OPRA request is?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None. It's a newspaper. The salaries are subpar at best.

Staff Writer Interview

Staff Writer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at North Jersey Media Group in January 2007.

Interview Details – Knew one of the ME's in charge of recruiting over the years (job fairs, etc.) and applied for the Record's internship program. Came in and did three days of tryout; the story ended up running A1. Eds nice and helpful during process, reporters helpful during interview, as well.

Interview Question – What type of enterprise experience do you have?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate, was an internship staff writing position.

Very Easy Interview

Reporter Interview

Reporter

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at North Jersey Media Group in August 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewer asked common questions, and asked for a few tryout samples.

Internet Applications Manager Interview

Internet Applications Manager

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at North Jersey Media Group in October 2008.

Interview Details – I read about the position in the classified ads, and after some persistent emailing and calling, managed to schedule an interview with the director. I presented my resume and showed some examples of my work. I had a very brief tour of the office, and was told they would be making a decision within the next week. I followed up by phone to learn that the position had been filled.

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with (insert name of content management system used at this company)?   View Answer
  • "You're familiar with our website?"   View Answer

Worked for North Jersey Media Group? Contribute to the Community!