North Jersey Media Group Interview Questions

2.7

Freelance Reporter Interview

Once you submit an application, you come in to see how it works. And you're pretty much bird at that point

Reporter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Woodland Park, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Woodland Park, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at North Jersey Media Group in May 2013.

The editor was very friend and very upfront about what the position entailed and offered. I respected his honesty.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult questions, however the editor made a point to emphasize that reporters work long days and strange hours, which is to be expected.   Answer Question

Classified Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodland Park, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodland Park, NJ

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at North Jersey Media Group in August 2012.

Phone interview, 2 in person interviews.

Interview Questions
    • How do you manage people when 2 reps fight over same account.   View Answer
    No negotiations

Staff Reporter/Staff Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Paterson, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Paterson, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at North Jersey Media Group in January 2010.

The interview process was simple. Applied for a position which was posted in The Bergen Record. After the company received my resume and writing samples, I received a phone call from the company around three days afterwards. The call was to simply ask me to come in for a 1-on-1.
      The 1-on-1 interview was split between a getting to know you/skills interview. Went over background, what I could bring to the table and how comfortable I was with covering multiple towns on a daily/weekly basis.
      After I left, I received a phone call from the hiring manager 4-5 days later.

Interview Questions
    None. It's a newspaper. The salaries are subpar at best.

Staff Writer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at North Jersey Media Group in January 2007.

Knew one of the ME's in charge of recruiting over the years (job fairs, etc.) and applied for the Record's internship program. Came in and did three days of tryout; the story ended up running A1. Eds nice and helpful during process, reporters helpful during interview, as well.

Interview Questions
    Didn't negotiate, was an internship staff writing position.

Reporter Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at North Jersey Media Group in August 2011.

Interviewer asked common questions, and asked for a few tryout samples.

Internet Applications Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at North Jersey Media Group in October 2008.

I read about the position in the classified ads, and after some persistent emailing and calling, managed to schedule an interview with the director. I presented my resume and showed some examples of my work. I had a very brief tour of the office, and was told they would be making a decision within the next week. I followed up by phone to learn that the position had been filled.

Interview Questions
    • Are you familiar with (insert name of content management system used at this company)?   View Answer
    • "You're familiar with our website?"   View Answer