North Star Resource Group

Average Difficulty
14 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at North Star Resource Group in March 2014.

Interview Details – Two phone interviews followed by a third one that should have been in person, but due to my location at school the third one was also held over the phone. Straight forward interview questions about future, past accomplishments and jobs.

Interview Question – Tell me 5 characteristics that best describe yourself, and a reason why for each one.   Answer Question

Minneapolis, MN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at North Star Resource Group in April 2013.

Interview Details – Two phone interviews. Followed by an in person interview. Interview was 30 minutes with just the recruiter. Very straight forward questions about future, why financial advising, etc.

Interview Question – What was your biggest failure/accomplishment during your last job?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Financial Representative Interview

Financial Representative
Phoenix, AZ

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at North Star Resource Group.

Interview Details – I applied through my schools career website. Later I got a call from the head recruiter and had a brief interview consisting of behavior questions. I believe it lasted around 10 minutes. After the recruiter had me take an online personality test. It was very interesting consisting of what I would do in a situation and what I think my boss would want me to do. After I "passed" that I was called in to meet with the District Vice President and 2 other FA's. One of the FA went over my personality quiz and asked me about my "weak points". Vice President asked me a lot of behavioral questions and then pitched what the company is all about. After that the other FA came in and answered all my questions. For my next interview I had to write up what was a report answering questions such as why do you think people fail in this industry and also to make a fake schedule. After I submitted that I came in again and spoke to the VP about the position and the report I had written. He told me very very clearly about what the position entailed how difficult it would be from the get go and how financial straining it is at first. He even went over my budget with me. Very professional and sincere about how much effort I would have to put in. After this interview I had to interview 8 people I knew about their financial situation and whether they thought I would do well in the industry. They never asked me to give them that information or use it to prospect for clients, rather as a way to see my comfort and ability to get out there. Finally spoke to the CEO of the company and the VP one more time and finally offered the position.

Interview Question – There is a lot of impact that the report makes. Specifically what is called the COI report which is the center of influence report, where you write down all the people you know that can introduce you to future clients. So think thoroughly of whom you may know.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation you get what you can earn.

Anonymous Interview

Chapel Hill, NC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at North Star Resource Group in April 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume online and received a response almost immediately. I was informed that I just needed to take a quick personality exam that the email claimed "Keep in mind there are no right or wrong answers to the questions. It is not a test. The questionnaire simply helps us identify your personality strengths and areas which we can help you grow in. It will also help you decide if this is a good career fit for you. Once completed, I will reach out to you about scheduling your interview with our National Director of Talent Acquisition." I took the personality exam and answered honestly. It asked first for the answer you expected your employer wanted from an employee and then for you to be frank about what the answer was for you. After 4 days, I received an email informing me that "the results show that you most likely would not be happy, long term, in this career with our firm." Overall, I felt misled by the exam and also a bit annoyed that they were making my decision for me.

Interview Question – If you saw a celebrity, would you go take your picture with them?   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at North Star Resource Group in December 2011.

Interview Details – Received a call telling me to take a personality test. The personality test is long and is usually failed towards the end. Note: it is easy to fail. Apparently 80% of candidates fail.

Apparently, should I have passed the test, I would have had a long interview process consisting of sales pitches, meeting with senior executives, etc.

Interview Question – Personality Test: Which would you believe that employers like to hear?   View Answer

Austin, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at North Star Resource Group in June 2011.

Interview Details – When I first applied, it was part of my job application spam to every company hiring, since I just graduated college. They are really fond of Longhorns, so I think that got me a leg up. There was an initial phone interview which was about fifteen minutes long. The woman on the phone was very nice and helped to set me up with an interview in office. When I entered, the woman I had spoken to on the phone led me to the conference room where I watched two videos. She gave me two pamphlets and a magazine to read highlighting female in the workforce. After I finished watching the movies, I was sent to one gentleman, who asked me questions about my future and what I was hoping to gain. Make sure you practice the generic questions about your future. This gentleman was friendly, but direct and shotgun'd questions at me, one after another. He talked a lot about what the company does. When I finished meeting with him, I was set in the conference room, where I was met a few minutes by another gentleman who asked me a couple more questions. He was more laid back it appeared. When I was finished with him, the young lady who initially helped me told me that she would e-mail me about the feedback. When I got home, I saw an e-mail stating that there was very positive feedback about myself, blah blah, and that they wanted to set up another meeting with the big guy. It was set for A MONTH later! As if I had nothing better to do. The e-mail also stated that they wanted me to go out and interview with other financial firms to see which one I liked better. When I finally met with the top guy, he was nice and told me about all the great things that would come. He wanted me to go down to Houston to meet my potential mentor. I did. She was nice and seemed down to earth. I came back with an offer to intern and then start my training in January with the company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – The company wants you to go where they think there is a booming medical field that can be conquered. My advice- really look into what they want you to do. If sitting in front of a computer ‘researching’ sounds fun, do it. Research means going through every possible site looking for potential clients. I don’t know if there is any real negotiating with that you have to do to be part of the company, but you can try. I am sure you will be shot down, but asking can’t hurt.

Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at North Star Resource Group in May 2011.

Interview Details – I learned about this job at my university career fair. The recruiter seemed really nice, we had an interview on campus the following day where she asked general interview questions, nothing difficult. She talked to me a couple days later and we set up a time to come to the office to talk to people that work there about the job and expectations. The whole thing took about 3 hours, they had me watch 3 videos about selling the financial products and I talked to 2 people in the training part of the job and one of the senior advisors. Everyone was really nice and it did seem like a really fun work environment but my perception of the job was completely wrong. It is 100% cold calling to get people to come to dinners where the senior advisors make a presentation in the hopes that someone will decide to use them. Not what I had in mind for my career.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a conflict on the job and how you went about resolving it.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at North Star Resource Group in June 2011.

Interview Details – After getting to the office 15 mins early I was asked to wait in a lobby for roughly 25 mins. The lobby is not on the same floor as the office. I was then asked to ride up the padded elevator to the fourth floor. I was wearing professional business attire and well prepared for the interview. I was greeted on the fourth floor by a lady in jeans and a fleece. The interview took approximately 5 mins. I was asked about 3 questions and the interviewer didn't look me in the eye even once. When she was done writing on a pad of paper (clearly unprepared and unaware an interview was even taking place) she looked at me and gave me a list of reasons why I was not a good fit for the company, none of which seemed to make any sense at all as to how they pertained to the job I was applying for. Her tone was incredibly condescending, a peculiar recruitment approach. She talked at me as if I was in middle school. I have had interviews with many companies in the same industry and have never had one as terrible as this. I tried to ask a couple questions I had prepared for the interview but ended up forcing out a smile and leaving. I felt terrible for coming and even worse for trying. If this is their recruiting practice I would seriously reconsider getting on board with this organization.

Interview Question – Are you athletic?   View Answer

Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at North Star Resource Group in June 2011.

Interview Details – Overall, I was disappointed. This was strictly a sales position. There is no advisory role associated with this at all. It is very marketing focused where one has to bring in clients. The training period can last up to three years and the pay is not satisfactory to the work required. The interview process also takes a lengthy time. I believe it consists of five or six steps. I would recommend shortening the interview process to two or three interviews.

Interview Questions

• In the past two years, what have you done that was primarily for personal growth and self-development?   Answer Question
  • What appeals to you about this career?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Financial Services Interview

Financial Services
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at North Star Resource Group in April 2011.

Interview Details – I was asked to first take a short online assessment, only half-hour long. They ask 72 questions, and duplicate each one. The first time they ask you to answer as you believe would make the most favorable impression. The second time--same question--they'll ask you to answer as truthfully as possible.

Then when I came in, the interview was ridiculously easy, to the point of making me suspicious (sure enough, as you'll see...). Basically, she asked me if I had any questions. Then we went over my resume, where she asked me to talk about each one of my previous job experiences. And then, once more, she asked if I had any questions. That was it.

Interview Question – Tell me about your previous work experience. (honestly, this is all she asked, besides asking if I had any questions, that's why it was ridiculously easy)   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I'd done my research beforehand, and found out you have to pay a lot of your own money to become licensed to sell financial services. Income's almost entirely commission. For every 20 client-meets during training, you only get $250. Overall, it's just not worth it, not at all. I've heard of people actually LOSING money at this job.

Interviews for Top Jobs at North Star Resource Group

Worked for North Star Resource Group? Contribute to the Community!