North Star Resource Group Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2015
Updated Mar 20, 2015

2.8

Supervisor, Adviser Technical Services Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at North Star Resource Group (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

The process started with filling a form that required me to enter basic information such as Past experience, qualifications etc. Once that was done, I was asked to go to the third floor. As soon as I got off the lift, the interviewer was waiting for me.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult situation you faced and how did you resolve the situation?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at North Star Resource Group in September 2014.

Interview

Process took about 1.5 months, three phone interviews (one with recruiter, one with future mentor, one with regional manager), one in person interview, and a personality test. Had to fill out a really long booklet and prepare a marketing plan.

Interview Questions

I got a better offer somewhere else

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at North Star Resource Group (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2014.

Interview

Two phone interviews followed by a third one that should have been in person, but due to my location at school the third one was also held over the phone. Straight forward interview questions about future, past accomplishments and jobs.

Interview Questions

• Tell me 5 characteristics that best describe yourself, and a reason why for each one.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at North Star Resource Group (Denver, CO) in February 2014.

Interview

Many steps. First I needed to pass a personality test to make it to the phone interview. From the phone interview there was an in-person interview with two people. Needed to complete a project that included my natural market and a questionnaire

Interview Questions

• Is this something you really want to do for the rest of your life?   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at North Star Resource Group (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

I applied through my schools career website. Later I got a call from the head recruiter and had a brief interview consisting of behavior questions. I believe it lasted around 10 minutes. After the recruiter had me take an online personality test. It was very interesting consisting of what I would do in a situation and what I think my boss would want me to do. After I "passed" that I was called in to meet with the District Vice President and 2 other FA's. One of the FA went over my personality quiz and asked me about my "weak points". Vice President asked me a lot of behavioral questions and then pitched what the company is all about. After that the other FA came in and answered all my questions. For my next interview I had to write up what was a report answering questions such as why do you think people fail in this industry and also to make a fake schedule. After I submitted that I came in again and spoke to the VP about the position and the report I had written. He told me very very clearly about what the position entailed how difficult it would be from the get go and how financial straining it is at first. He even went over my budget with me. Very professional and sincere about how much effort I would have to put in. After this interview I had to interview 8 people I knew about their financial situation and whether they thought I would do well in the industry. They never asked me to give them that information or use it to prospect for clients, rather as a way to see my comfort and ability to get out there. Finally spoke to the CEO of the company and the VP one more time and finally offered the position.

Interview Questions

• There is a lot of impact that the report makes. Specifically what is called the COI report which is the center of influence report, where you write down all the people you know that can introduce you to future clients. So think thoroughly of whom you may know.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation you get what you can earn.

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at North Star Resource Group (Austin, TX) in July 2013.

Interview

skills/personality assessment to start, then interviewed with recruiter, was called back to interview with two advisors, then got to meet with my potential boss/mentor, lastly I was called back to be made an offer and start paperwork. The whole process took a while but it was thorough and not too difficult

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was little room to negotiate because the program structure has been in place for so long and I didn't want to sacrifice my commission payout to take a base salary

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at North Star Resource Group (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2013.

Interview

Two phone interviews. Followed by an in person interview. Interview was 30 minutes with just the recruiter. Very straight forward questions about future, why financial advising, etc.

Interview Questions

• What was your biggest failure/accomplishment during your last job?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at North Star Resource Group (Dallas, TX) in December 2011.

Interview

Received a call telling me to take a personality test. The personality test is long and is usually failed towards the end. Note: it is easy to fail. Apparently 80% of candidates fail.

Apparently, should I have passed the test, I would have had a long interview process consisting of sales pitches, meeting with senior executives, etc.

Interview Questions

• Personality Test: Which would you believe that employers like to hear?   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at North Star Resource Group (Austin, TX) in June 2011.

Interview

When I first applied, it was part of my job application spam to every company hiring, since I just graduated college. They are really fond of Longhorns, so I think that got me a leg up. There was an initial phone interview which was about fifteen minutes long. The woman on the phone was very nice and helped to set me up with an interview in office. When I entered, the woman I had spoken to on the phone led me to the conference room where I watched two videos. She gave me two pamphlets and a magazine to read highlighting female in the workforce. After I finished watching the movies, I was sent to one gentleman, who asked me questions about my future and what I was hoping to gain. Make sure you practice the generic questions about your future. This gentleman was friendly, but direct and shotgun'd questions at me, one after another. He talked a lot about what the company does. When I finished meeting with him, I was set in the conference room, where I was met a few minutes by another gentleman who asked me a couple more questions. He was more laid back it appeared. When I was finished with him, the young lady who initially helped me told me that she would e-mail me about the feedback. When I got home, I saw an e-mail stating that there was very positive feedback about myself, blah blah, and that they wanted to set up another meeting with the big guy. It was set for A MONTH later! As if I had nothing better to do. The e-mail also stated that they wanted me to go out and interview with other financial firms to see which one I liked better. When I finally met with the top guy, he was nice and told me about all the great things that would come. He wanted me to go down to Houston to meet my potential mentor. I did. She was nice and seemed down to earth. I came back with an offer to intern and then start my training in January with the company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The company wants you to go where they think there is a booming medical field that can be conquered. My advice- really look into what they want you to do. If sitting in front of a computer ‘researching’ sounds fun, do it. Research means going through every possible site looking for potential clients. I don’t know if there is any real negotiating with that you have to do to be part of the company, but you can try. I am sure you will be shot down, but asking can’t hurt.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at North Star Resource Group (Chicago, IL) in June 2011.

Interview

Overall, I was disappointed. This was strictly a sales position. There is no advisory role associated with this at all. It is very marketing focused where one has to bring in clients. The training period can last up to three years and the pay is not satisfactory to the work required. The interview process also takes a lengthy time. I believe it consists of five or six steps. I would recommend shortening the interview process to two or three interviews.

Interview Questions

• In the past two years, what have you done that was primarily for personal growth and self-development?   Answer Question
    • What appeals to you about this career?   Answer Question