North Star Resource Group

2.6

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chapel Hill, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chapel Hill, NC

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at North Star Resource Group in April 2013.

I submitted my resume online and received a response almost immediately. I was informed that I just needed to take a quick personality exam that the email claimed "Keep in mind there are no right or wrong answers to the questions. It is not a test. The questionnaire simply helps us identify your personality strengths and areas which we can help you grow in. It will also help you decide if this is a good career fit for you. Once completed, I will reach out to you about scheduling your interview with our National Director of Talent Acquisition." I took the personality exam and answered honestly. It asked first for the answer you expected your employer wanted from an employee and then for you to be frank about what the answer was for you. After 4 days, I received an email informing me that "the results show that you most likely would not be happy, long term, in this career with our firm." Overall, I felt misled by the exam and also a bit annoyed that they were making my decision for me.

Interview Questions
    • If you saw a celebrity, would you go take your picture with them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at North Star Resource Group.

I applied through my schools career website. Later I got a call from the head recruiter and had a brief interview consisting of behavior questions. I believe it lasted around 10 minutes. After the recruiter had me take an online personality test. It was very interesting consisting of what I would do in a situation and what I think my boss would want me to do. After I "passed" that I was called in to meet with the District Vice President and 2 other FA's. One of the FA went over my personality quiz and asked me about my "weak points". Vice President asked me a lot of behavioral questions and then pitched what the company is all about. After that the other FA came in and answered all my questions. For my next interview I had to write up what was a report answering questions such as why do you think people fail in this industry and also to make a fake schedule. After I submitted that I came in again and spoke to the VP about the position and the report I had written. He told me very very clearly about what the position entailed how difficult it would be from the get go and how financial straining it is at first. He even went over my budget with me. Very professional and sincere about how much effort I would have to put in. After this interview I had to interview 8 people I knew about their financial situation and whether they thought I would do well in the industry. They never asked me to give them that information or use it to prospect for clients, rather as a way to see my comfort and ability to get out there. Finally spoke to the CEO of the company and the VP one more time and finally offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • There is a lot of impact that the report makes. Specifically what is called the COI report which is the center of influence report, where you write down all the people you know that can introduce you to future clients. So think thoroughly of whom you may know.   Answer Question
    No negotiation you get what you can earn.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at North Star Resource Group in April 2013.

Two phone interviews. Followed by an in person interview. Interview was 30 minutes with just the recruiter. Very straight forward questions about future, why financial advising, etc.

Interview Questions
    • What was your biggest failure/accomplishment during your last job?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at North Star Resource Group in March 2014.

Two phone interviews followed by a third one that should have been in person, but due to my location at school the third one was also held over the phone. Straight forward interview questions about future, past accomplishments and jobs.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me 5 characteristics that best describe yourself, and a reason why for each one.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university - interviewed at North Star Resource Group in July 2013.

skills/personality assessment to start, then interviewed with recruiter, was called back to interview with two advisors, then got to meet with my potential boss/mentor, lastly I was called back to be made an offer and start paperwork. The whole process took a while but it was thorough and not too difficult

Interview Questions
    There was little room to negotiate because the program structure has been in place for so long and I didn't want to sacrifice my commission payout to take a base salary

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at North Star Resource Group in June 2011.

Overall, I was disappointed. This was strictly a sales position. There is no advisory role associated with this at all. It is very marketing focused where one has to bring in clients. The training period can last up to three years and the pay is not satisfactory to the work required. The interview process also takes a lengthy time. I believe it consists of five or six steps. I would recommend shortening the interview process to two or three interviews.

Interview Questions
    • In the past two years, what have you done that was primarily for personal growth and self-development?   Answer Question
    • What appeals to you about this career?   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at North Star Resource Group in August 2011.

Started with a personality test, then a phone interview. After that there was a background interview. About a week later I was scheduled for an interview where I ask current employee's about there job and experiences so far within the company. Next step would have been filling out a business plan and presenting it to senior partner. Friendly people.

Financial Advisor Interview

Emailed a "Talent Recruitment" employee with a brief cover letter and resume. Phone interview was scheduled a couple days later. Interviewer was not friendly at all, but the questions were pretty standard (i.e. strengths, weaknesses, time you failed, time you succeeded).

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at North Star Resource Group in December 2011.

Received a call telling me to take a personality test. The personality test is long and is usually failed towards the end. Note: it is easy to fail. Apparently 80% of candidates fail.

Apparently, should I have passed the test, I would have had a long interview process consisting of sales pitches, meeting with senior executives, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Personality Test: Which would you believe that employers like to hear?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

The process took 2 days - interviewed at North Star Resource Group in October 2009.

had a phone call with the regional manager, he convinced me to come in for a one on one interview. The RM talked about making > six figures in less than 6 years and focused only on money and nothing else. The interview seemed a little unorganized and often times I would be told one thing would happen, only to be followed by something different

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. It was an informational interview   Answer Question

Worked for North Star Resource Group? Contribute to the Community!