Northeast Utilities

Northeast Utilities Interview Questions

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, NH

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Northeast Utilities.

Process took about 1-2 weeks. Typical behavioral interview. Drug testing and background screen required. Expect phone interview and meeting with 2 people in person.

Interview Questions
    There was a set amount per hour, no negotiation.

IT Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berlin, CT

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northeast Utilities.

Application through company website. Called you in for Interview. Interview process is mostly panel style with management and technical team members present. Interviewers were friendly, not intimidating. Depending on the urgency, you may be told you made it quickly.

Interview Questions
    • Some behavior related questions from management were tough to answer. Be prepared to answer questions like how would you handle dealing with difficult colleagues.   Answer Question
    Depending on your experience, I've seen employees negotiate 4 weeks vacation to start. 3 weeks is standard.

Community Relations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berlin, CT

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northeast Utilities in October 2013.

After an online resume submission I received an email from someone in HR who set up an interview for me. At the interview initially me with a different HR person for an initial screening. This person didn't really know any specifics of the job. Then met with two managers from Community Relations for one hour.

Interview Questions
    • There were more questions with regard to one specific incident in my work history rather than the overall experience and background that I possessed. Give us a situation and how you handled this situation. Questions were geared toward a more junior candidate with less experience.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berlin, CT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northeast Utilities in March 2012.

I was contacted by HR after submitting my resume through a job posting on the NU careers site. I then interviewed with two people in IT (an IT manager and another employee in IT work management). It was mostly behavioral ("give me a situation where you had to...") and they also asked about my major and classes I had taken (since this was my first internship and I was a sophomore going into my junior year). Very light, non-specific, technical questions were asked, and I just gave very general responses ("how would you debug a program").

Interview Questions
    • how would do object-oriented methods help in developing an application   Answer Question

ENGINEERING OFFICE Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berlin, CT

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Northeast Utilities in August 2010.

This company uses a "behavior based" interview process. The questions go like this; tell me about a time that you made an error, how did you correct it? How did you feel about it? or another one would be "tell me about the last difficult decision you had to make", why was it difficult?

They let you know that the interview is this type beforehand. Even though these type or not really "difficult", I found it difficult for me. Sometimes I was wondering if they were looking at my answers to be just work related or did they want them to be life related. Whatever the case, I didn't end up being offered the position, I was up against about 12 others. Just wasnt meant to be I guess.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me the last time you made a mistake and what you did to correct it.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Windsor Locks, CT
    Anonymous Employee in Windsor Locks, CT

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northeast Utilities in June 2010.

First got an email telling me to schedule a day to come in for a skills test. Signed up for a date. Showed up. Was then told, that it would be broken down into a Typing Test. Then IF you pass a Customer Service Rep Test. Then if you pass that you get a brief 1:1 pre-interview. Then, you are in limbo, then someone calls and schedules a phone interview. After phone interview you finally get a face to face interview with two managers. It was at the end of their day which I wouldn't recommend, because the interviewers were both literally with a foot out the door. After the face to face, they sit you down with a Customer Service Rep and let you listen to calls. Except in my case, they left for the day and left me with the representative, the rep ended up walking me out. Then after all this, I got a brief email telling me that they were not interested. Very frustrating interview process for an entry level position.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time when you let a customer down, and what you di?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Northeast Utilities in December 2011.

Met with five different people. Everyone seemed very friendly and genuinely seemed to like working at the company. It seems like a great place to work from what they described.

Customer Service Representative Interview

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northeast Utilities in April 2009.

Standard competency based interview

not much room for negotiation