Northeastern University Interview Questions in Boston, MA

Updated Jul 14, 2015

2.9

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Northeastern University (Boston, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with a potential future colleague. In-person panel interview with the same potential colleague and the hiring manager. The job description was changed, and I was informed of this in the interview. An employee had recently resigned, and the role I was interviewing for was going to include the departing employee's responsibilities in addition to what was in the written job description. I withdrew my candidacy by email the next day, as the position no longer was a fit. They should have sent the revised job description ahead of time, as I would have withdrawn my candidacy then.

Interview Questions

• Give me some examples of times you successfully used negotiation skills.   Answer Question

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Northeastern University (Boston, MA).

Interview

Just had a quick informal chat with the professor. I had secured an A in the course in the previous semester so had just dropped the email to professor and setup a time to meet him.

Senior Web Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northeastern University (Boston, MA) in December 2014.

Interview

After passing a 30-minute phone screening interview, I was invited for a 3-hour interview on site. The interview was scheduled for the time slot from 11:30 AM until 2:30 PM. No food or beverages were offered or provided, despite the fact that this long interview lasted through lunch time. Also, I met with several groups of people, each for 30 minutes. It didn't seem fair that they could meet with me briefly either before or after lunch, while I had no such break. After I sent thank you emails to each group with whom I interviewed, the hiring manager responded with an email asking me if I would be available for lunch the following week. But without explanation, he failed to confirm a date and time for our lunch meeting. A couple of weeks later, I received an email stating that I was no longer being considered for this position. When I called the HR recruiter, no explanation was provided.

Interview Questions

• 1. Walk me through your entire work history, explaining any gaps and your reason for leaving each previous job. 2. Do you have any experience with provided time estimates for projects?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Northeastern University (Boston, MA).

Interview

The hiring and interview process were very quick and speedy. I was referred to the position by an employee, making the process swifter for me.

Interview Questions

• There weren't really any difficult questions asked of me.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation at all. I thought I deserved a better salary, and HR's calculations agreed with my findings, but the department would not budge.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Northeastern University (Boston, MA) in March 2014.

Interview

It all went smoothly. I applied online through the webpage and then received a response through email. I was invited to give a talk. Gave a talk and after that discussed the projects with the professors and current postdocs and phds. A few weeks later got the offer and I accepted.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Northeastern University (Boston, MA).

Interview

I searched online for professors at the MIE department in college of engineering and found the ones with research programs close to my interest and experience and knock on their door for 1-1 interviews. After a resume check and discussion about the research funding available for a PhD degree, I read a couple of papers and presented them either to the PI or the research team under supervision of the same PI.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions but high quality energy and studying is required...   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, fixed income.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Northeastern University (Boston, MA) in January 2014.

Interview

The interview was held by Tatayana. I had a wonderful interview experience. I was asked to solve a sum on Molarity which was not very straight forward. I had to think for a while and apply the necessary basics I studied in my under graduation. At the end I cracked the sum and was appreciated for the same. Also we had a general talk about my experience in the field of pharmacy.

Interview Questions

• The sum had a few tricky parts and I was caught up in that for a while but later was able to deduce the answer.   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northeastern University (Boston, MA).

Interview

manager do the initial phone interview, and the controller and hiring manager do the second round on-site interviews

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I asked for a higher offer and they accepted

Research Assistant Professor Interview

Application

Interview

Most of these positions is thorough proper channel, recommendation from mentors are critical. Overall performance of candidate and fit is key for job postings.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult part is to manage lab, research and teaching duties.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Pretty much took the offer as is not much room for negotiation

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northeastern University (Boston, MA) in July 2013.

Interview

I was contacted to come in for an interview during which I met with the two employees with whom I would be interacting most often. They had very different interviewing styles -one gentleman asked a lot of hypothetical questions, the other asked more about my experience and background. This interview led to a second round interview where I had to present to about 15 of my potential colleagues on the subject matter I would eventually be working in and try to convince them to do business with us. It was daunting to say the least, but through informational interviewing beforehand, luckily I knew a handful of people in the room already. This was followed up with a third round 1:1 interview with the director of the group who was a bit intimidating, but just honestly wanted to get a feel for me as a person and evaluate if I was up to the task since my experience was transferrable, but not in exactly the same field. This interview ended in a preemptive negotiation on potential salary and a verbal agreement on a number and agreement that pending any problems with paperwork, etc. I was hired. A follow-up call confirmed the offer and I requested and was provided with a written offer letter before giving my notice elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was something like - how do you think you will be able to contribute to this team/make a difference in the role.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I had been overpaid in my previous position with less responsibility, so I was hoping that this role would include another raise, but I wasn't certain that would be the case. On a hypothetical scale of 20k, I asked for 20, since I had been making 10 and the manager offered 11, saying she only had 13 in her budget. I countered with the request that we meet in the middle at 12 and I would earn a raise after the first year.