Northeastern University

Northeastern University Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014
Updated Oct 16, 2014

Career Services Interview

This was unfortunately the worst interview process I've experienced. I'm afraid to go into too much detail for reasons that might make this not so anonymous. One thing that this department does is Skype interviews and they do a lot of them, and unlike any other place I've interviewed, not just your first round interview is on Skype, but your 2nd round as well. Furthermore, I spoke to the same people the 2nd time around and the questions were largely the same. The conversation was somewhat difficult because I ended up referring to and elaborating on several of the same relevant experiences that I discussed in my first interview. Additionally, the interview processes are managed by different respective Associate Dir's within the office, and the scheduling of my interviews was incredibly difficult due to the disorganization of the person I was working with, though she was extremely friendly. They at one point asked me the question that I included which was

Interview Questions
    • "The salary is X and it's non-negotiable (lower than expected for the Boston area). Our retirement benefits are pretty good but we can't compete financially with schools in our area. We want to bring you in next week and we know flights are really expensive, but we aren't going to pay for you. Are you still interested?"   Answer Question

Co-Op Coordinator Interview

The co-op coordinator interviews at Northeastern can be multiple rounds. The first interview is with Human Resources. The next interview with committee of 5-6 people of varying backgrounds, including other co-op coordinators and professors.

Interview Questions
    • interviews are all over the place, sometimes behavioral sometimes based on resume   View Answer
    No negotiation

Executive Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northeastern University.

I submitted an online application and in approximately two weeks had set up an initial phone interview. This was a very straight forward process, and the interview was quite congenial. The next day I was contacted to come in for an on-site interview the following week. Two days after this I received an e-mail asking to set up an additional phone screening interview with another member of the department. This was also an excellent interview. The next day I received the offer.

Overall, this was an excellent and very quick process. Overall it took about 3-4 weeks from submitting the application to receiving the offer.

Interview Questions
    • 1st: "What are three adjectives co-workers would use to describe you and your work habits?" (On-site)

2nd: "What is something that you think I should ask you about, or that we haven't covered that we should?" (Second phone interview)

Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

four month intern under current boss to familiar the lab and relate background, ensure the boss to hire you in the lab. the boss is very friendly and willing to help to improve yourself. equipment and lab environment were better than before due to more invest from university.

PhD Student Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Northeastern University.

For the PhD student, the most important thing is recommendation. I got a good recommendation from my former adviser and got the position. International needs GRE and TOFLE score. 2 letters and SOP are needed. To get a TA or RA position, high GRE score will be helpful.

Interview Questions
    • There are some major questions for SOP. It is important and a chance to show what you are.   Answer Question
    none

Event Manager Interview

hiring process included a written application and an interview. It was a general interview about the resume and the stuff done in projects and past experiences. It was easy and nothing technical or complex. Very friendly staff and HR department at the center.

Enrollment Contact Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northeastern University.

Applied through the system and was asked via email if I was free for a phone interview. This was the cleanest phone interview and interview scheduling process I have ever experiences- very similar to a doodle poll where you check off the times on the hiring managers schedule.

Interview Questions
    • Asked if I was comfortable sitting behind the desk rather than going out and talking with potential students.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Northeastern University.

The hiring and interview process were very quick and speedy. I was referred to the position by an employee, making the process swifter for me.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any difficult questions asked of me.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation at all. I thought I deserved a better salary, and HR's calculations agreed with my findings, but the department would not budge.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Northeastern University.

Just involved an exchange of resume with the Hiring manager, a very brief interview with the professor about my skills and past experience

Interview Questions
    • will you be able to read and understand papers from a subject not related to you?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Northeastern University.

I searched online for professors at the MIE department in college of engineering and found the ones with research programs close to my interest and experience and knock on their door for 1-1 interviews.
    After a resume check and discussion about the research funding available for a PhD degree, I read a couple of papers and presented them either to the PI or the research team under supervision of the same PI.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions but high quality energy and studying is required...   View Answer
    No negotiation, fixed income.