Northern Trust

24 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Northern Trust in August 2011.

Interview Details – HR called me and set up an interview the next week. I was suppose to meet up with three managers but they had an emergency at the department and I ended up meeting the Head department. The manager explained the position and asked me the usual questions (situational Q), I wasn't asked any technical Finance/Accounting Q's. I finished the interview in 30 minutes which I thought was too short but to be honest there was nothing more to say. I wasn't asked a lot of the silly questions where they tell you "tell us about a situation where you disagreed with a boss or when you used your creativity and the like!!"

Interview Question – We interviewed 2 very qualified candidates for this position, why should we hire you over them?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It is an entry level position and they offered me the max in the range so I didn't care to negotiate because I know it is fixed and I was satisfied.

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Northern Trust in August 2009.

Interview Details – Quick phone interview and meeting with multiple managers

Interview Questions

Makati City (Philippines)

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust in April 2014.

Interview Details – There would be 2 interviews, 2 exams, and a simple activity.
1. Initial Interview - common interview questions are asked. Like stuffs about yourself, things you know about the company and the position you're applying for so you'd better be ready with your research here.
2. Group Activity - I was asked to pic a topic and write an essay about it. Then we read it out loud one by one.
3. Aptitude and Excel Exams - I accomplished this in a day. The aptitude test is easy but tricky and is time pressured, while the excel exam just comprises of some basic commands you can do on a spreadsheet.
4. Final Interview - This one is a bit challenging because you'll be interviewed by managers or heads about the technical stuffs that you know. They asked me to define around 20 finance and accounting terms.

Interview Question – What are the types of derivatives.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation at all. It's like take it or leave it. But for fresh grads, their offer is tempting since the salary is really high compared to other companies that hire fresh graduates.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Northern Trust in January 2013.

Interview Details – campus recruitment

few j/e
strengths & weakness
  Answer Question

Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Northern Trust in July 2010.

Interview Details – Four arounds of interview. GD & aptitute test. 2nd round with HR. They asked general questions like tel about yourself & details from your CV. 3rd around with Manager. They asked about my MBA intership project. 4th round with Division manager. He asked general questions. They just check your confidence level.

Interview Question – No difficult questions were asked.   Answer Question

Bangalore (India)

I applied through other source - interviewed at Northern Trust in July 2013.

Interview Details – Round 1 Group discussion on Capital market.
R-2 Aptitude
(got a call from hr after 3 weeks)
R-3 HR (General questions, they test you're confidence level and communication and few technical questions.
R-4 Technical round ( More like a stress Interview , few logical questions , reasoning and mostly finance related (Derivatives,Swits,eqity)
R-5 Managers round (again few technical questions)
Be confident,be yourself...

# The Interview process is very slow ,it may take months ,so chill and try out in other companies as well.

Interview Question – what are swifts ?   View Answer

Bangalore (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Northern Trust in June 2013.

Interview Details – First round- write on given topic for about one page( eg- indian banking system) and then speak on it. (note- this is only to check your comuunication skills verbal and written so just write some common things about any topic given).

Second round- aptitude, its easy LR, quant , english.

third round- it will be HR( for me it was scheduled 3 times and was sort of technical itself).

Final round - it was with some manager- brush up with bonds valuation, trading terms, spot price, strike price, deal price, open and close end mutual funds, NAV, diff market and their index, derivatives related terminology. and be confident.

Interview Question – what is swift in term of trading?   View Answer

Bangalore (India)

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust in July 2011.

Interview Details – About four interviews.... everything was about the basics.... and it took about a month to get an offer...

Interview Question – About the basics of accounts and finance   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Please accept whatever they offer initailly....

Bangalore (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Northern Trust in February 2009.

Interview Details – Not very hard. Have to be smart with good communication skills.

Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview Details – # Test of Communication Skill(Pick&Speak/GD)
# HR Round
# Technical Round with TL
# Technical Round with Manager
# Salary negotiation

Interview Question – Role and Scope of Custodian Banking in India?   Answer Question

Worked for Northern Trust? Contribute to the Community!