Northern Trust

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview Details – Mostly behavioral questions about past experiences.

Interview Question – Will ask about the different financial records such as balance sheet etc. Will ask for you to break down each.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Started looking to move out of state.

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Northern Trust in August 2013.

Interview Details – Pretty casual interviews but a long day-6 in one day!

Interview Question – Behavioral questions, not too difficult   Answer Question

GOLD Program

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview Details – Initial screen: In-person interview on campus; Final screen: on-site interview with four managers

Interview Question – All standard why ___ + behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable

Chicago, IL

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Northern Trust in November 2009.

Interview Details – Interviews will vary depending on the manager. More often than not, the questions will be behavioral.

Interview Question – Who is your inspiration?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.

Chicago, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Northern Trust in October 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewer was not nice

Interview Questions

London, England (UK)

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust in April 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for the Northern Trust Gold Program in early March and got a response from the recruitment team on the 28th of March. As i had no internet in my house for a week I did not realise the company had sent me an email to be interviewed in that same week. However HR was sympathetic and allowed me to reschedule.
After several attempts to book a time slot to match the HR schedule and my own (I currently work at another bank) we finally agreed for 12:30pm on a Monday. Initially i was told the interview would last 20 mins, but in the last email I exchanged she said it would be 10mins instead!

I prepared myself prior the interview pretty well! Since I was at work I had to find a quiet and discrete location for the phone interview to take place. Nonetheless, all of this was in vain as the HR recruiter called me 20 mins prior the established time (its not like she did not know I was working), so I found that quite disrespectful.
As soon as I picked up the phone she went right at it, which meant i had to run out of the office! The only thing is, where I work there is poor network connection, so she had to repeat questions tonnes of times....and we actually lost connection at one point!

I was dissapointed not so much by the fact that we lost connection but by the fact that I told her as soon as I picked up that I was at the office and she was early. Again i didnt event get a reply...she just went straight to the questions.

Is this the way you seek for talented individuals? To be honest I think she was having a bad day and wanted to go for lunch earlier...since from the second we started speaking she seemed like she wanted to hangup.
All in all not a good representation of Northern Trust, Im sure (hope) she doesnt represent the rest of the employees.

Questions asked:
1. Tell me a bit about yourself
2. What is your biggest passion
3. What do you know about the organisation (i.e. explain what they do)
4. What was your biggest achievement
5. What part of your role do you think would be most dyre?

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest passion?   View Answer
  • What do you think Will be the most dyre part of your role?   View Answer

London, England (UK)

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust in April 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview: Called at the right time, no problems, interviewer was friendly and asked competency based questions.

Biggest achievements? Working out a problem as part of a team? Someone who screwed up the team and how you got around it? Why do you want to join Northern Trust? Tell me about yourself?

Passed that and was invited to numerical and verbal reasoning test (Talent Q).

Numerical test: definitely the most difficult out of the ones I'd done already, wasn't in the right frame of mind for it so I screwed it up, would recommend really reading all the information given, you're not given any help with the answers like the other multiple choice tests (you're given about a 20 options here).

Verbal Reasoning: same old same old, read the information and make conclusions from there.

Interview Question – Why do you think you'd be good for us?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northern Trust

Worked for Northern Trust? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northern Trust GOLD Program interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Northern Trust employees and interview candidates.