Northern Trust

Updated Dec 8, 2014
Updated Dec 8, 2014

2.8

Intern Interview

Phone Interview - fairly standard behavioural questions, nothing too unexpected. It was an easy process, as the HR lady was extremely helpful and told me what to prepare before the interview. process took less than a month.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time in which you had to use your communication skills in order to solve a difficult problem?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Northern Trust.

Very fun interview process. I met with two managers and two team leaders, which really gave me a good sense of who I would be working with on a daily basis.

Investment Rotational Track Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northern Trust.

On Campus interview which they read off a sheet of paper asking straight up behavioral questions. Nothing difficult. They would ask "tell me a time you have been challanged", "tell me a time you have ran into a problem with a group member and how did you solve it". Wasn't a very interesting interview because they just asked question after question.

GOLD Program Interview

I interviewed at the Chicago Office during my internship with managers in the specific area I applied into. There was only on technical question and everything was behavioral. Most interviews were just conversations and not difficult at all.

Interview Questions
    • List off all the working capital accounts on a statement of cash flows.   View Answer

GOLD Program Interview

2 rounds of interviews before final decision. The process a couple of weeks. There were multiple interviews and a business case study. Most of the questions were behavioral, asking about why Northern Trust. A few basic market questions

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Northern Trust in October 2014.

Initial Brief phone interview - mainly about salary expectations. Two initial interviews (same day with different line managers) about previous work experience. They also shared details about position that was available. Second interview with Manager/VP more behavioral and awkward due to questions. No offer or communication yet (it has been days). I have inquired via email but no answer (2 days).

Interview Questions
    • What were items on your past job reviews that were listed as weaknesses or for you to work on.   View Answer

IT Project Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust.

Northern is 40-70% contractors for IT, depending on project. There was only a recruiter interview and a phone interview with the hiring manager and the tech lead. Be prepared for long lead times (like 1 month). Their process is slow so don't get discouraged if it takes a while. Generally, many business processes at NT take longer than other large companies.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. They did not really prepare anything in advance. Their questions just focused on confirming I have the background needed for the projects.   Answer Question

Rotational Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northern Trust in September 2014.

I applied through on-campus recruiting. The first interview was straightforward and behavioral. The second, on-site interview was about a month later. They asked more behavioral questions, as well as talk about the various teams. There was a case study, but it as rather basic and more to gauge your thought processes than any particular content knowledge.

Interview Questions
    • What was the stock price of Northern Trust this morning?   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust in July 2014.

Asked many behavioral questions and really dug into my past. Great interview process overall, but environment was very stuffy / corporate. No appreciation for creativity or smaller company experience. Provided great feedback regarding my responses, and they were outstanding with answering any questions I had regarding the position, performance metrics, team size, etc.

US Securities Transaction Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Northern Trust in June 2014.

Brief phone interview about salary expectations and schedule F2F interview. 2nd Interview with 2 team leaders. Standard interview, behavioral questions, nothing too difficult. Why you want to work for Northern Trust, why are you moving from your current job? Etc.