Northern Trust Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2015

2.8

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The interview process took a pretty long time. I didn't get a phone interview for a month after I applied, and it took another month for an in person interview to be set up. The position I ended up interviewing for was different than the one I applied for. While the interview went reasonably well, the managers conducting it didn't seem to have read my resume. They also were pretty blunt about the hours required for the job (80+/week) and how repetitive it was, which I appreciated, but which also gave me a negative outlook on the position. They didn't end up making an offer to me for another 3 months, by which point I had moved on.

Account Relationship Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

Very fast and encouraging hiring process. The interviewers were kind and professional. Most of the questions were behavioral. It felt like there was a bit of good cop bad cop dynamics with the change in who interviewed me but overall a very positive experience. It would be nice if there was a higher salary for the position, but a company as great as Northern Trust is worth a lower pay for a chance to get in.

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online via their website and was contacted within a few days by a recruiter. They asked a few basic questions (Why are you leaving your current job, What kind of experience do you have, What salary do you expect) and we scheduled an in person interview with several members of the department I would be part of.

The in person interview was about 1 hour (2 - 30 minute sessions with 2 people each) and was pretty basic, mostly the managers describing the role and asking me how I believe I would fit in, what am I looking for in a job, would I be bored by this or that aspect of the role. Nothing tricky or unexpected. There is a pretty big focus on salary expectations and I was asked that several times by different people.

The only difficult part of the whole process was that the job description was not very clear and the initial recruiter didn't really have a lot of details so I couldn't get 100% clarity on what the role was until I was talking to the hiring manager, which is a bit late in the process.

Also it felt like they weren't really used to the hiring process. Nothing major but for example I was never offered a tour of the office, they didn't have water and when I asked I was directed to a water fountain. We were kicked out of the conference room they booked by another group and wrapped up in the hallway. Small things, but it felt a bit disorganized, I wasn't terribly surprised when they never reached back to me although they mentioned I would receive an update within a week.

Interview Questions

• How detailed oriented are you and can you give an example of a time you had to handle multiple detailed projects at one?

What banking/ financial knowledge do you have?

How do you work within a large team?

Answer Question

Pension Fund Accounting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online, got call for an interview after almost 3 weeks, had on site interview directly, it lasted for 2 hours, very basic behavioral questions. First it was with HR, then two manager. For preparatio, just go over why this company is such a great place to work at and why do you want to be here, have solid answer for why should they hire you.

Process Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

There was only one face to face interview at Northern, because this was for temporary position that might lead to full one after 6 months. I was interviewed by the manager and his assistant. It was 30-40min long. They asked mostly behavioral questions like " say your strengths and weaknesses ". Also they asked me about my time menagment, how I deal with stress, and where I see myself in 3-5 years. They didn't ask any questions related to finance, besides do I know what are alternative investments, because this position was for alternative investment department. They were looking for person who can work hard and who has good time menagment.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview

I can not say enough good things about my interview experience with Northern Trust. At every touchpoint I was impressed with the professionalism of the organization: from the talent-acquisition VP who was my main point of contact, to the recruiting team that set up the process, and finally the marketing team members. At least four people who I met with had been at Northern for 10+ years (some 30+ years); this fact further underlined for me that people who work for Northern stay at Northern because the organization puts employees-first. At no point during the interview did I feel like I was just another "recruit" being put through a gauntlet. They treated me as a welcomed guest throughout the process, kept me updated in a timely fashion, and were eager to answer any and all questions.

Interview Questions

• There were a number of questions as to how I would implement a certain technology.   1 Answer

Asset Management Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview

- Brief information session with other candidates on the morning of on-campus interviews.
    - 30 min 1:1 Campus interview
    - 1 hr 2:1 phone interview
    - 30 min 1:1 phone interview

General Notes:
    I applied through my university's recruiting site and heard back for a first round interview a week after submitting my application. The interviews were straightforward and mostly behavioral. I had to give the same stock pitch during each of my interviews because it was on my resume and I had recall details from my analysis (catalysts/risks, multiples, discount rates, market cap, etc). In addition to normal background research on the company, I would recommend learning about "smart beta" and the "proprietary quality philosophy" Northern Trust uses in its investment process.
    I had a good interview experience overall. My interviews felt much more like conversations and interviewers were definitely not reading questions off of a checklist. However, I wish there had been more opportunities to speak with previous interns about the program. Also, I would have liked to visit their offices to get a better sense for the work environment and culture of the firm.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose to attend your university?
      Why asset management/investments?
      Why Northern Trust?
      Stock Pitch
      Describe relevant projects
      How would a professor describe you?
      What do you like to do outside of school?

Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with three people. Basic interview questions. They ask you what is your desired salary (which will qualify or disqualify you), also asked what I made in the past. I felt all went well but was not offered the job. I believe it was because I told them my expected pay. That was a mistake I plan to NEVER make again. If they are not offering you the position say negotiable.

Campus Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview

I was very excited about this opportunity but unfortunately the interview process was a complete disappointment. The hiring manager rescheduled phone screen with me three times. More specifically, the first time she forgot to put our interview on her calendar, the second time she asked to reschedule 30 mins before our scheduled call, and the third time she simply forgot to call me. After that third time I decided that I was no longer interested in the position and emailed her to let her know that I wanted to withdraw my candidacy from consideration. I don't think this is a typical experience that everybody has with this company but it definitely left me disappointed and wondering whether I will want to apply for any position there again.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

Originally spoke with Northern Trust recruiters at a university recruitment fair. Was one of a few students from my school invited to a follow-up company office visit that was attended by students from a few other area universities. At the office visit, I was encouraged to apply to a number of positions on their website and to also follow-up with the recruiter as to the positions in which I applied. Shortly I was contacted by the recruiter giving me the option to interview for a number of positions in which I was qualified. I picked one and received a phone interview shortly after from HR. After the phone interview I was invited to a second round interview at the company office where I was interviewed by two managers and a vice-president.

Interview Questions

• The original phone interview consisted of HR inquiring about my background and asking a couple of behavioral interview questions. The second round interviews were more conversational. In fact, I wasn't even asked a single interview question. The managers just inquired about my background and opened the floor for any questions that I may have had about the job.   Answer Question