Northern Trust Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2015

2.8

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview

For a mid-level job, the number of interviews was excessive. Noticed this with other new hires as well. Some came in several times for a total number of meetings over 10. Interviews with a manager, one or two stakeholders and possibly an executive should be enough for any firm unless it's an executive hire.

Client Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview

Phone Screen 2 weeks after online application, 1 on 1 with Manager of Client Support Services one week later, then with 3-person panel of partners 2 weeks after that.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Northern Trust   1 Answer

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Three rounds of interview. Phone screening by the HR followed by personal interviews with three team members. Overall the process was smooth and went fairly quickly. They did not provide and lunch or offer a drink during the interview, which was strange.

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The interview process took a pretty long time. I didn't get a phone interview for a month after I applied, and it took another month for an in person interview to be set up. The position I ended up interviewing for was different than the one I applied for. While the interview went reasonably well, the managers conducting it didn't seem to have read my resume. They also were pretty blunt about the hours required for the job (80+/week) and how repetitive it was, which I appreciated, but which also gave me a negative outlook on the position. They didn't end up making an offer to me for another 3 months, by which point I had moved on.

Account Relationship Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

Very fast and encouraging hiring process. The interviewers were kind and professional. Most of the questions were behavioral. It felt like there was a bit of good cop bad cop dynamics with the change in who interviewed me but overall a very positive experience. It would be nice if there was a higher salary for the position, but a company as great as Northern Trust is worth a lower pay for a chance to get in.

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online via their website and was contacted within a few days by a recruiter. They asked a few basic questions (Why are you leaving your current job, What kind of experience do you have, What salary do you expect) and we scheduled an in person interview with several members of the department I would be part of. The in person interview was about 1 hour (2 - 30 minute sessions with 2 people each) and was pretty basic, mostly the managers describing the role and asking me how I believe I would fit in, what am I looking for in a job, would I be bored by this or that aspect of the role. Nothing tricky or unexpected. There is a pretty big focus on salary expectations and I was asked that several times by different people. The only difficult part of the whole process was that the job description was not very clear and the initial recruiter didn't really have a lot of details so I couldn't get 100% clarity on what the role was until I was talking to the hiring manager, which is a bit late in the process. Also it felt like they weren't really used to the hiring process. Nothing major but for example I was never offered a tour of the office, they didn't have water and when I asked I was directed to a water fountain. We were kicked out of the conference room they booked by another group and wrapped up in the hallway. Small things, but it felt a bit disorganized, I wasn't terribly surprised when they never reached back to me although they mentioned I would receive an update within a week.

Interview Questions

• How detailed oriented are you and can you give an example of a time you had to handle multiple detailed projects at one? What banking/ financial knowledge do you have? How do you work within a large team?   Answer Question

Pension Fund Accounting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online, got call for an interview after almost 3 weeks, had on site interview directly, it lasted for 2 hours, very basic behavioral questions. First it was with HR, then two manager. For preparatio, just go over why this company is such a great place to work at and why do you want to be here, have solid answer for why should they hire you.

Process Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

There was only one face to face interview at Northern, because this was for temporary position that might lead to full one after 6 months. I was interviewed by the manager and his assistant. It was 30-40min long. They asked mostly behavioral questions like " say your strengths and weaknesses ". Also they asked me about my time menagment, how I deal with stress, and where I see myself in 3-5 years. They didn't ask any questions related to finance, besides do I know what are alternative investments, because this position was for alternative investment department. They were looking for person who can work hard and who has good time menagment.

Digital Marketing Strategist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview

I can not say enough good things about my interview experience with Northern Trust. At every touchpoint I was impressed with the professionalism of the organization: from the talent-acquisition VP who was my main point of contact, to the recruiting team that set up the process, and finally the marketing team members. At least four people who I met with had been at Northern for 10+ years (some 30+ years); this fact further underlined for me that people who work for Northern stay at Northern because the organization puts employees-first. At no point during the interview did I feel like I was just another "recruit" being put through a gauntlet. They treated me as a welcomed guest throughout the process, kept me updated in a timely fashion, and were eager to answer any and all questions.

Interview Questions

• There were a number of questions as to how I would implement a certain technology.   1 Answer

Asset Management Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview

- Brief information session with other candidates on the morning of on-campus interviews. - 30 min 1:1 Campus interview - 1 hr 2:1 phone interview - 30 min 1:1 phone interview General Notes: I applied through my university's recruiting site and heard back for a first round interview a week after submitting my application. The interviews were straightforward and mostly behavioral. I had to give the same stock pitch during each of my interviews because it was on my resume and I had recall details from my analysis (catalysts/risks, multiples, discount rates, market cap, etc). In addition to normal background research on the company, I would recommend learning about "smart beta" and the "proprietary quality philosophy" Northern Trust uses in its investment process. I had a good interview experience overall. My interviews felt much more like conversations and interviewers were definitely not reading questions off of a checklist. However, I wish there had been more opportunities to speak with previous interns about the program. Also, I would have liked to visit their offices to get a better sense for the work environment and culture of the firm.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose to attend your university? Why asset management/investments? Why Northern Trust? Stock Pitch Describe relevant projects How would a professor describe you? What do you like to do outside of school?   Answer Question