Northern Trust Interview Questions

Updated Mar 9, 2015
Updated Mar 9, 2015

2.8

Digital Marketing Strategist Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Northern Trust.

I can not say enough good things about my interview experience with Northern Trust. At every touchpoint I was impressed with the professionalism of the organization: from the talent-acquisition VP who was my main point of contact, to the recruiting team that set up the process, and finally the marketing team members. At least four people who I met with had been at Northern for 10+ years (some 30+ years); this fact further underlined for me that people who work for Northern stay at Northern because the organization puts employees-first. At no point during the interview did I feel like I was just another "recruit" being put through a gauntlet. They treated me as a welcomed guest throughout the process, kept me updated in a timely fashion, and were eager to answer any and all questions.

Interview Questions
    • There were a number of questions as to how I would implement a certain technology.   View Answer

Asset Management Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust.

- Brief information session with other candidates on the morning of on-campus interviews.
    - 30 min 1:1 Campus interview
    - 1 hr 2:1 phone interview
    - 30 min 1:1 phone interview

General Notes:
    I applied through my university's recruiting site and heard back for a first round interview a week after submitting my application. The interviews were straightforward and mostly behavioral. I had to give the same stock pitch during each of my interviews because it was on my resume and I had recall details from my analysis (catalysts/risks, multiples, discount rates, market cap, etc). In addition to normal background research on the company, I would recommend learning about "smart beta" and the "proprietary quality philosophy" Northern Trust uses in its investment process.
    I had a good interview experience overall. My interviews felt much more like conversations and interviewers were definitely not reading questions off of a checklist. However, I wish there had been more opportunities to speak with previous interns about the program. Also, I would have liked to visit their offices to get a better sense for the work environment and culture of the firm.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose to attend your university?
      Why asset management/investments?
      Why Northern Trust?
      Stock Pitch
      Describe relevant projects
      How would a professor describe you?
      What do you like to do outside of school?

Answer Question

Campus Recruiter Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Northern Trust.

I was very excited about this opportunity but unfortunately the interview process was a complete disappointment. The hiring manager rescheduled phone screen with me three times. More specifically, the first time she forgot to put our interview on her calendar, the second time she asked to reschedule 30 mins before our scheduled call, and the third time she simply forgot to call me. After that third time I decided that I was no longer interested in the position and emailed her to let her know that I wanted to withdraw my candidacy from consideration. I don't think this is a typical experience that everybody has with this company but it definitely left me disappointed and wondering whether I will want to apply for any position there again.

Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust.

I received the call from HR in the first week, and was scheduled a phone interview in the following week. and was invited to an on-site interview on the same week. The whole process went well, but since I don't have background of banking stuff, they might think I'm not good at telling story or expressing myself. Anyway, HR said the decision will be made within two week. Let's cross fingers!

Interview Questions
    • If you made mistake on a project and how to explain to your manager.   View Answer

Investment Operations Outsourcing Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Northern Trust.

Applied for the position out of school and got a call from HR about 2 months later for an in office interview. Got to the office and had a 3 panel interview with the vice president and 2 team leads. Immediately started firing off questions regarding my background and they started to pry at details from my resume. Nothing too unexpected or difficult. They asked what a bond was and to name a stock. Pretty simple.

Investment Support Services Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust.

the interview process is pretty straight forward. However the hr response time is some what slot. if you are lucky enough to get an offer they don't budge in terms of negotiations. In terms of advice on how to interview it is pretty standard just be sure to use alot of the key words from the requirement sections of the search criteria

Interview Questions
    no room for negotiations. flat rate offer

Senior Consultant - Credit Risk Modeling Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northern Trust.

There were 1 screening phone interview with HR, 1 phone interview with a team member (not the hiring manager) and 1 on-site interview with 6 people. All that happened within 1 week.

Interview Questions
    • When the data do not have enough number of defaults, how would you build a default model?   View Answer

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust.

The interview process was pretty standard. First, I was contacted via phone for a 15-minute pre-screening interview. The recruiter was direct and courteous. Then a second interview (in-person) was scheduled. On the day of the interview, I met with the recruiter prior to meeting with the manager in charge. The manager was nice and very knowledgeable. Overall, the process was smooth and easy. The manager explained about the position and the duties of the position, as it was not clear in the job post. I was asked some behavioral questions and technical skills (nothing complex).

Interview Questions
    • How knowledgeable are you in Excel? Have you used VBA, Macros, etc?   Answer Question

Technology Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust in January 2015.

I had two phone reviews with two different employees, and neither were particularly difficult. They both asked simple behavioral questions -- I told them about my background and why I wanted to work for Northern Trust. Both employees were very nice!

A few days later, I received a phone call, and learned that I had received an offer for the summer.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions asked were standard behavioral interview questions.   Answer Question

I received an offer from another company whose location and line of work spoke to my interests more.

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Northern Trust in January 2015.

Applied through personal contact and through campus recruiting. Attended a pre-night session then had an on campus interview the next day with a woman from HR. After a few months I had a phone interview with the person I will now be working for. No technical questions, they just wanted to make sure I had an interest in finance and northern.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to use your communication skills to explain a complex topic.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. $17/hour