Northern Trust Interview Questions

Updated Aug 24, 2015

2.8

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Northern Trust in June 2012.

Interview

First it was a screened phone interview, then I was called into the office to interview for the position. It took 3 hours and I met with everyone in the department. 2 weeks later I was called back for another round of interviews and that took 2 hours and I met with everyone again.

Client Services Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview

The whole process took a few weeks, with 2 full days dedicated to meeting all members of the team. It was pretty grueling, but understandable, and you feel like an Olympian after going through the motions and receiving an offer. The work culture was great - people friendly and dedicated to helping others and providing the best services to clients and prospects.

Interview Questions

• Even though I wasn't applying for a sales position, I was asked to give a sales pitch for a product offered by a previous employer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Maybe I was having a great day - the negotiation phase went very well. They were willing to pay for what they were getting - my brains - which was certainly a nice change. The best initial offer I had ever received, and I asked for more, which they gave me.

Tax Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The interview process was very long. Was asked to come back several time with no feedback. Still awaiting final answer. They would not give a salary range for position.

Data Governance Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in June 2014.

Interview

After a couple phone screens I was invited in for a face-to-face. There were several people on the list, it was about five hours. The first three were great. Then the hiring manager. Let me preface this by saying that I enjoy interviewing, I interview well. I have an excellent close rate if I get a face-to-face. However, this VP had me clueless as to how to connect and carry on a normal conversation. I couldn't form the words to complete a sentence. To say I was rattled would be a huge understatement. Next I interviewed with a direct report and was somewhat consoled by hearing from him that he didn't interview well with that VP either but the discussion with him was back to normal, easy, I was able to communicate my qualifications and successes. The other interviews went extremely well too. Of course the hiring manager VP made the final decision and needless to say I did not get an offer. If I didn't think I was a great fit it might not have bothered me but I am normally a great communicator and I was a great fit for the position. Yes, I was extremely disappointed.

Interview Questions

• Do you want to be more "business" or technical?   1 Answer

Specialist Level (3-5 Years Experience) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

There were 4 rounds of interviews. First was over the phone with HR, then in person with the hiring manager and another person in that group, then another round with several folks in other departments who use the group's services, then a final one-on-one with the hiring manager. Took over 3 months. Seemed like they wanted consensus from a lot of people.

Interview Questions

• Very heavy on behavioral questions. More than any other job I've interviewed for. Expect at least a dozen. It got kind of tedious.   Answer Question

RDP Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

Series of 6 interviews with senior members of the designated track you are applying for. All are scheduled for an hour long and are scattered throughout the day. Mainly questions aiming t getting to know you, be prepared for a few technical questions as well. You will be required to do a case study in a limited time period and present your solution.

Interview Questions

• What are the different financial statements and how do they correlate with one another?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Bangalore (India)) in June 2011.

Interview

Extempore- Aptitude test- HR Round - Manager Round - HR Round Extempore -I chose to speak on Inflation Aptitude- I got 48 correct answers out of 50. HR round- She asked me about the recent movie I watched-I narrated 'The curious case of Benjamin Button' Manager Round- Lot of scenario questions.

Interview Questions

• Where do see yourself in NT in next 5 years?   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Bangalore (India)) in May 2015.

Interview

The whole process took two days, with the following rounds: 1) Communication Skills Test 2) Aptitude Test 3) HR Interview 4) Technical Interview 5) Managerial Interview Overall, it was good although they have not informed whether you have made it or not.

Interview Questions

Interview

Lengthy interview process. Expect up to 2 months or more. Very competitive with extensive interview questions. 3 part interview. HR phone recruiter, 3 panel interview, multiple questions, expect an hour or so, then a final with department head. Many behavioral questions, one or two critical thinking, describe yourself, how well do you handle being alone and team environment, how well do you handle difficult clients, co-workers, accountability, and resolution skills. They are expecting you to sell yourself, so do just that. They ask if you have an understanding of the job role, do some basic research and ask questions that you may have. They encourage it.

Interview Questions

• Mock Interview of an inbound call with a problem, and what you would do to resolve or handle it. Expect beginning to end.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Depending on experience you may be able to negotiate some. They offer shift differential, big plus.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Makati City (Philippines)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Makati City (Philippines)) in April 2014.

Interview

There would be 2 interviews, 2 exams, and a simple activity. 1. Initial Interview - common interview questions are asked. Like stuffs about yourself, things you know about the company and the position you're applying for so you'd better be ready with your research here. 2. Group Activity - I was asked to pic a topic and write an essay about it. Then we read it out loud one by one. 3. Aptitude and Excel Exams - I accomplished this in a day. The aptitude test is easy but tricky and is time pressured, while the excel exam just comprises of some basic commands you can do on a spreadsheet. 4. Final Interview - This one is a bit challenging because you'll be interviewed by managers or heads about the technical stuffs that you know. They asked me to define around 20 finance and accounting terms.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation at all. It's like take it or leave it. But for fresh grads, their offer is tempting since the salary is really high compared to other companies that hire fresh graduates.