Northern Trust

Updated Jan 27, 2015
Updated Jan 27, 2015

2.8

GOLD Program Interview

I interviewed at the Chicago Office during my internship with managers in the specific area I applied into. There was only on technical question and everything was behavioral. Most interviews were just conversations and not difficult at all.

Interview Questions
    • List off all the working capital accounts on a statement of cash flows.   View Answer

GOLD Program Interview

2 rounds of interviews before final decision. The process a couple of weeks. There were multiple interviews and a business case study. Most of the questions were behavioral, asking about why Northern Trust. A few basic market questions

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Northern Trust in October 2014.

Initial Brief phone interview - mainly about salary expectations. Two initial interviews (same day with different line managers) about previous work experience. They also shared details about position that was available. Second interview with Manager/VP more behavioral and awkward due to questions. No offer or communication yet (it has been days). I have inquired via email but no answer (2 days).

Interview Questions
    • What were items on your past job reviews that were listed as weaknesses or for you to work on.   View Answer

IT Project Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust.

Northern is 40-70% contractors for IT, depending on project. There was only a recruiter interview and a phone interview with the hiring manager and the tech lead. Be prepared for long lead times (like 1 month). Their process is slow so don't get discouraged if it takes a while. Generally, many business processes at NT take longer than other large companies.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. They did not really prepare anything in advance. Their questions just focused on confirming I have the background needed for the projects.   Answer Question

Rotational Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northern Trust in September 2014.

I applied through on-campus recruiting. The first interview was straightforward and behavioral. The second, on-site interview was about a month later. They asked more behavioral questions, as well as talk about the various teams. There was a case study, but it as rather basic and more to gauge your thought processes than any particular content knowledge.

Interview Questions
    • What was the stock price of Northern Trust this morning?   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust in July 2014.

Asked many behavioral questions and really dug into my past. Great interview process overall, but environment was very stuffy / corporate. No appreciation for creativity or smaller company experience. Provided great feedback regarding my responses, and they were outstanding with answering any questions I had regarding the position, performance metrics, team size, etc.

US Securities Transaction Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Northern Trust in June 2014.

Brief phone interview about salary expectations and schedule F2F interview. 2nd Interview with 2 team leaders. Standard interview, behavioral questions, nothing too difficult. Why you want to work for Northern Trust, why are you moving from your current job? Etc.

Derivatives Analyst Interview

Number of rigorous interviews leading to the job. Lengthy review took months to complete through human resources and was inefficient. Company was thorough in background checks and reviews. Northern trust was difficult to work thru interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest weakness and what is your strongest attribute.   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Northern Trust in May 2014.

When I interviewed, I was working in a different city. I had 3 phone interviews, one with the recruiter, one with the team leader and hiring manager, and one with the hiring manager's manager. Basic questions regarding personality, knowledge of industry and computer skills. I didn't hear back for two weeks and was offered the position. No relocation assistance was given to move to a different city. Northern Trust is well known on The Street as being cheap in paying their employees.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations even if you have 2 years of experience. Northern Trust is known on The Street as being cheap when paying their employees. If you are analyst at another investment house, you will make at least 15% more in salary than as a senior analyst at Northern Trust

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Northern Trust in May 2014.

Received a call for an interview a month after I applied online. Discuss salary w/HR over phone & then had 3 interview. Sent thank you emails along with a follow-up email weeks after the 2nd interview. No response ever received.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing to difficult. Questions were like explain your day-to-day work schedule? Any improvements you made that impact your current position? Do you work well with others...etc?   Answer Question