Northern Trust

Relevance Date Difficulty

Account Associate Interview

Account Associate
Naples, FL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview Details – Contacted by HR representative and spoke with them for about 30 minutes. The HR rep asked general behavioral questions and also asked about my resume, experience, and previous jobs. I was then contacted two days later to schedule an face to face interview with two managers the next week. The 2:1 interview with the two managers was not very difficult as I was asked only behavioral type questions, nothing technical. One of the managers was extremely rude and arrogant, purposely trying to make me uncomfortable, however the other interviewer was very pleasant. Not sure if they were trying to play good cop bad cop to see how I reacted, but it was completely unwarranted to be as rude as the one manager was. The two managers grilled me on my resume, schooling, and past work experience. Given that most of my work experience was unrelated to the position I thought it was a little excessive to go into such great detail about my summer landscaping jobs in early undergraduate school, but they kept asking unnecessary and unrelated questions for the job I was applying to. Overall, the interview was relatively easy, but I did not get a good feeling about working at that office as the one manager was just so unpleasant and rude. I would not have wanted to work with him if I got the job offer and I got the feeling that the other manager who does work with him did not like him much either because of his arrogance. It has been 3 weeks and I have not heard a word from the company, even after sending follow up emails and thank you emails to the HR rep and both managers. I am pretty sure I will never hear from anyone in the company about not getting the job, which is inexplicably rude to not even send an email, let alone a phone call, to inform candidates of their status or that the company has decided to move on with other candidates.

Interview Question – No difficult or technical questions, asked only basic behavioral questions.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Have you ever had conflicts with co-workers?
Have you ever had a conflict with a customer?
Tell me about yourself?
What do you know about Northern Trust?
  Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Senior Consultant
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust in February 2014.

Interview Details – Very relaxed phone interview. Questions very basic. How did you help a past client. How long was the engagement. No technical questions. The interview was several weeks after submitting the application and so it took me a minute to remember the job description I was interviewing for.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Northern Trust in May 2011.

Interview Details – Applied via recruiting platform, got a call quickly. One interview, mostly basic questions. Mostly focussed on personal fit, so i met with the two people i would be working with all the time. Some questions regarding it and programming experiences, skills, and willingness to learn a new technology stack. Personally i found the atmosphere very nice and collegial and the only reason to decline the position i was offered was a meager wage, were i could get more at other companies in very similar positions, and also collect more experience abroad.

Interview Question – Explain RND and connection to BS.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – better offers

Very Easy Interview

Fund Accounting Analyst Interview

Fund Accounting Analyst
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust in August 2010.

Interview Details – phone screening, 2 people in HR, then 2 managers in a unit, then called back for round three to meet with hiring manager and direct supervisor. ( a lot for an entry level position)

Interview Question – Tell me about a difficult situation and how you handled it, why do you want to work here, etc   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – asked for 5k more, they came back with 2K more.

Private Client Service Representative Interview

Private Client Service Representative

Interviewed at Northern Trust

Interview Details – Lengthy interview process. Expect up to 2 months or more. Very competitive with extensive interview questions. 3 part interview. HR phone recruiter, 3 panel interview, multiple questions, expect an hour or so, then a final with department head. Many behavioral questions, one or two critical thinking, describe yourself, how well do you handle being alone and team environment, how well do you handle difficult clients, co-workers, accountability, and resolution skills. They are expecting you to sell yourself, so do just that. They ask if you have an understanding of the job role, do some basic research and ask questions that you may have. They encourage it.

Interview Question – Mock Interview of an inbound call with a problem, and what you would do to resolve or handle it. Expect beginning to end.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Depending on experience you may be able to negotiate some. They offer shift differential, big plus.

Associate Interview

Associate
Westwood, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview Details – It was a long time ago. I responded to an add in the paper and called for a interview. I had 5 interview before I was hired. Northern Trust only hires the best.

Interview Question – I was asked what was my pet peeve.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate at that time. The salary was much higher that I was receiving from the credit union.

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Northern Trust in December 2012.

Interview Details – Technical interview - 1 hour. Covers C#, WPF questions. Trivia and problem solving questions.

Soft skills interview - 1 hour. No technical questions. Mostly what if scenarios and experience and hypothetical questions.

Interview Question – How to clean all windows.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Through third party. It was straight forward and easy.

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust in May 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview. Followed with 3 half hour interview with various hiring managers.

Interview Question – Do you want to be a manager.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Recruiter was terrible. Misleading.

Very Easy Interview

Senior Derivatives Analyst Interview

Senior Derivatives Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview Details – The interview process at NT is not an intense process. If your able to land one interview and leave a good impression then more than likely you will be offered a position.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult   Answer Question

Tax Technician Interview

Tax Technician
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust in March 2011.

Interview Details – I interviewed with the team leader, then the VP. Interviews were formal, yet friendly and low pressure. I was asked a lot of questions about my background. After the interviews, I was contacted a few days later by an HR representative with an offer. It was less than I was looking for, so I asked more and we agreed on a figure in between.

Interview Question – The technical questions were the most difficult. Otherwise, pretty standard interview questions.   Answer Question