Northern Trust Interview Questions

Updated Oct 27, 2014
Updated Oct 27, 2014

2.8

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust.

Internal hire, joined group after helping their manager on several projects on the side of my previous job.

Interview Questions
    • No surprise / difficult interview questions given prior work experience with the manager and team.   Answer Question

Drone Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northern Trust.

Minimal compared to other places.
    No hard questions.
    Mostly can you get along

Interview Questions
    • never had a difficult or unexpected question the who time ive been there   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Northern Trust.

It was over 7 years ago, so don't remember much

Second Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview was easy right out of college. They were looking for naive pickings

Interview Questions
    Back in 2007, 40K was the standard right out of school with a BS.

Account Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naples, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naples, FL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust.

Contacted by HR representative and spoke with them for about 30 minutes. The HR rep asked general behavioral questions and also asked about my resume, experience, and previous jobs. I was then contacted two days later to schedule an face to face interview with two managers the next week. The 2:1 interview with the two managers was not very difficult as I was asked only behavioral type questions, nothing technical. One of the managers was extremely rude and arrogant, purposely trying to make me uncomfortable, however the other interviewer was very pleasant. Not sure if they were trying to play good cop bad cop to see how I reacted, but it was completely unwarranted to be as rude as the one manager was. The two managers grilled me on my resume, schooling, and past work experience. Given that most of my work experience was unrelated to the position I thought it was a little excessive to go into such great detail about my summer landscaping jobs in early undergraduate school, but they kept asking unnecessary and unrelated questions for the job I was applying to. Overall, the interview was relatively easy, but I did not get a good feeling about working at that office as the one manager was just so unpleasant and rude. I would not have wanted to work with him if I got the job offer and I got the feeling that the other manager who does work with him did not like him much either because of his arrogance. It has been 3 weeks and I have not heard a word from the company, even after sending follow up emails and thank you emails to the HR rep and both managers. I am pretty sure I will never hear from anyone in the company about not getting the job, which is inexplicably rude to not even send an email, let alone a phone call, to inform candidates of their status or that the company has decided to move on with other candidates.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or technical questions, asked only basic behavioral questions.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      Have you ever had conflicts with co-workers?
      Have you ever had a conflict with a customer?
      Tell me about yourself?
      What do you know about Northern Trust?
        Answer Question

Private Client Service Representative Interview

Lengthy interview process. Expect up to 2 months or more. Very competitive with extensive interview questions. 3 part interview. HR phone recruiter, 3 panel interview, multiple questions, expect an hour or so, then a final with department head. Many behavioral questions, one or two critical thinking, describe yourself, how well do you handle being alone and team environment, how well do you handle difficult clients, co-workers, accountability, and resolution skills. They are expecting you to sell yourself, so do just that. They ask if you have an understanding of the job role, do some basic research and ask questions that you may have. They encourage it.

Interview Questions
    • Mock Interview of an inbound call with a problem, and what you would do to resolve or handle it. Expect beginning to end.   View Answer
    Depending on experience you may be able to negotiate some. They offer shift differential, big plus.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westwood, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westwood, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust.

It was a long time ago. I responded to an add in the paper and called for a interview. I had 5 interview before I was hired. Northern Trust only hires the best.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate at that time. The salary was much higher that I was receiving from the credit union.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust in February 2014.

Very relaxed phone interview. Questions very basic. How did you help a past client. How long was the engagement. No technical questions. The interview was several weeks after submitting the application and so it took me a minute to remember the job description I was interviewing for.

Senior Derivatives Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northern Trust.

The interview process at NT is not an intense process. If your able to land one interview and leave a good impression then more than likely you will be offered a position.

Analyst, Alternative Investments Interview

I met with two team leaders and two hiring managers respectively, they have two openings at that time under alternative investments division but different groups. It was straight two hours interview and interviewers are very nice. Basically team leaders introduced the details of job responsibilities and hiring managers are the ones did the very formal interview. They are interested in knowing very perspective of a interviewee, not just school stuff. They want to know that you are willing to be on the top of everything and plan before hand.

Interview Questions
    • I felt like probably I gave one of the hiring managers the impression of being very aggressive, when I said I was volunteering in helping kids with their science projects, he asked in what kind of way I was working with the kids. He probably thought I would put my thoughts on the kids instead of using their own ideas I guess. I was a little bit worried.   Answer Question