Northern Trust

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Tax Technician Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview Details – The interview process was very long. Was asked to come back several time with no feedback. Still awaiting final answer. They would not give a salary range for position.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Senior Web Designer Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Northern Trust in June 2012.

Interview Details – Received the interview from a recruiter. Consisted of a 1:1 interview with 3 people within 2 hours. I was showed around the office. It was so quiet. Everyone seemed like robots. No one spoke to one another. Very stuffy and conservative environment. The people that I interviewed with appeared to not be interested at all in the interview and asked me basic questions.

Senior Analyst Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust in June 2012.

Interview Details – Two phone interviews, the first with a company recruiter and the second with the hiring manager. Then in-person interviews with the company recruiter, hiring manager, the business unit CFO and the CFO of another business unit.

Two of the four people I met with were condescending and arrogant. I was interviewing for a straightforward financial analyst position, but I got asked strategy consulting-type questions (similar to what you might get asked if you were interviewing at a Bain or a McKinsey). This was overkill, in my opinion.

The in-person interviews were very disorganized. Nobody seemed to know what my interview schedule was, or had any awareness of timing. I met with the recruiter first and we started almost 15 minutes late. After we were finished, she had me wait at the reception desk for 5 minutes for another recruiter to take me to my second meeting. The second recruiter didn't know how to pronounce the name of my second interviewer, and when we got there the second interviewer wasn't in his office. My fourth interviewer also wasn't in his office at the time I was supposed to meet him, so my third interviewer and I had to wait around awkwardly until he got back. The fourth person I met with didn't even bother giving me a business card and simply rushed me out the door at the end.

The fourth interviewer asked me my strengths and weaknesses. I shared with him a weakness, and then he kept pushing me for additional weaknesses. He also suggested potential weaknesses that I might have and asked if they were things I was working on. I found this unnerving and extremely rude.

My interview in-person interview process was scheduled to take 2 hours, but ended up taking almost 3 hours due to all the disorganization. I was never offered any water or restroom access the entire 3 hours I was there. The company's atmosphere is extremely conservative and stuffy.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you made a mistake in your work and how you handled it.   Answer Question
  • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
  • If your manager or supervisor were here, what would they say your greatest strengths or weaknesses are?   Answer Question
  • How would you estimate the number of people that walk through the doors of a neighborhood business on a daily basis? Can you provide an estimated range in which you are 90% confident?   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Accountant
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust in October 2008.

Interview Details – I had one phone interview with HR and then was called for an in-person interview. During my office visit, I met with HR, the hiring manager, and 2 other managers. It lasted about 2 hours. Everyone was friendly and the interview was very conversational.

Interview Question – Do you have any experience working with Sarbanes Oxley?   View Answer

Syndicated Bank Loan Analyst Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Northern Trust in September 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview with HR- Run through your resume. If they decide to pursue further, you meet with three management individuals from your team. One you will directly report to. A lot of behavioral questions and how you will be an asset to the team. Head of my team asked me detailed bank loan related questions.

Interview Question – What is a syndicated bank loan?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations possible.

Northern Trust Gold Program Interview

Chicago, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Northern Trust in October 2011.

Interview Details – They mostly hire out of their previous intern class, so only two rounds of interviews. Had first round phone interview, then flew to Chicago for final round interview. They have recent alumni of the program take you to around 5 different interviewers in different areas of the business. Most interview questions are behavioral or about general economic conditions, absolutely no technical questions.

The people I interview with were very friendly, after the interview you grab lunch with the program alumni who escorted you around and they are very helpful in answering more detailed questions about the job and working conditions.

Interview Question – How would you rate the performance of congress in handling the budget deficit?   Answer Question

Senior Analyst OTC Derivatives - Omnium Hedge Fund Services Interview

Chicago, IL

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Northern Trust in December 2011.

Interview Details – Went through a recruiter, the interview consisted of a phone interview done by the hiring director and then the in person interview was 4 hours long. I met with HR, 3 managers and the director. They knew what they were looking for and the personalities all differed from asking a lot of questions to asking no questions at all.

Interview Questions

• 1)What is a put option? 2) What is a call option? 3) What is a CDS? How does it work?   View Answer
  • What does your closet/wardrobe look like?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Had other offers.

Investment Operations Outsourcing Interview

Chicago, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Northern Trust in November 2011.

Interview Details – Did a fairly basic 1:1 interview at university campus. Was very generic, as the normal interviewer was not available so someone from the department came to speak. Very nice person and was able to inform me to great detail about the function of the position. Still waiting, was told I would not hear back until after the new year.

Interview Question – What interested you the most about this position?   Answer Question

Associate Fund Accountant Interview

Associate Fund Accountant
Chicago, IL

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust in October 2011.

Interview Details – I had an interview with six people. It took around three hours. First interview was with recruiter form HR department. I signed application and agreed on background check. Next three were with managers from fund accounting department. Last one was with two managers from hedge fund accounting. Be prepare for technical question or definition question for last interview. Generally all managers seemed very nice and enthusiastic about their work. They were also very descriptive about the company and the position.

Interview Question – Give the definition of mutual fund and hedge fund?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Financial Analyst Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Northern Trust in August 2011.

Interview Details – HR called me and set up an interview the next week. I was suppose to meet up with three managers but they had an emergency at the department and I ended up meeting the Head department. The manager explained the position and asked me the usual questions (situational Q), I wasn't asked any technical Finance/Accounting Q's. I finished the interview in 30 minutes which I thought was too short but to be honest there was nothing more to say. I wasn't asked a lot of the silly questions where they tell you "tell us about a situation where you disagreed with a boss or when you used your creativity and the like!!"

Interview Question – We interviewed 2 very qualified candidates for this position, why should we hire you over them?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It is an entry level position and they offered me the max in the range so I didn't care to negotiate because I know it is fixed and I was satisfied.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northern Trust