Northern Trust Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

2.8

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in February 2014.

Interview

Very relaxed phone interview. Questions very basic. How did you help a past client. How long was the engagement. No technical questions. The interview was several weeks after submitting the application and so it took me a minute to remember the job description I was interviewing for.

Consultant Risk Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in February 2014.

Interview

Phone interview. There were two interviewers. First one is a nice person, he went through my resume and asked about my course work during school. The second one seems very busy. He just asked me if I could use SAS and if I have any modeling experience. That's it. The whole interview took 30 minutes. 20 minutes with 1st person, 10 minutes with 2nd one. No technical question and no behavior question. Just little bit background and went through resume.

Senior Derivatives Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview

The interview process at NT is not an intense process. If your able to land one interview and leave a good impression then more than likely you will be offered a position.

Interview Questions

Interview

I met with two team leaders and two hiring managers respectively, they have two openings at that time under alternative investments division but different groups. It was straight two hours interview and interviewers are very nice. Basically team leaders introduced the details of job responsibilities and hiring managers are the ones did the very formal interview. They are interested in knowing very perspective of a interviewee, not just school stuff. They want to know that you are willing to be on the top of everything and plan before hand.

Interview Questions

• I felt like probably I gave one of the hiring managers the impression of being very aggressive, when I said I was volunteering in helping kids with their science projects, he asked in what kind of way I was working with the kids. He probably thought I would put my thoughts on the kids instead of using their own ideas I guess. I was a little bit worried.   Answer Question

Fund Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview

Got called in after applying online almost instantly, they also told me the salary minimum over the phone before the interview which was a bit weird.

I went in talked to the HR manager, and then three different managers. Some of the questions were straight forward (strengths, weakness, team work examples etc) Others were more technical but easy for finance majors such as (what is a 401k plan, what is a stock, bond, option, mutual fund, what is GAAP)

Interview Questions

• Easy but Unexpected question- put the securities from least risky to most risky: Stocks, mutual fund, options, bond   1 Answer

Alternative Investment Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in December 2013.

Interview

Was contacted by phone to set up an interview. The process was very easy, a 30 min sit down with a HR manager, and then about 45 min with managers of the team I was interviewing with. The interview with my team was laid back, they explained about the job and asked some basic questions. Nothing harder than "Explain a time when you?". Got feed back within a week and was hired. After the background check I started right away.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really, just be prepared as usual to sell yourself and they had a few behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not sure if they negotiate, I got an entry level position which doesn't leave you much room.

Senior Teller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in December 2013.

Interview

Lenghtly hiring process. Hard company to get into. Did not apply they pulled my resume from a online source. Took three weeks just for the call offer. Highly client oriented interview. Not much else from what I recall.

Negotiation

NO ROOM FOR NEGOTIATION

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in November 2013.

Interview

Very easy. All the basic questions you would expect in an interview. I had two over the phone interviews. The first was short, roughly 20 minutes. The second was a bit longer, roughly 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What surprised you the most about your internship experience last summer?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

The interviewing process I went through was smooth and the interviewers were well informed and pleasant.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was where do I see myself in 5 years.   Answer Question

Associate Fund Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

Received a call from HR and interviewed the following week. Interview consisted of 3 1:1 interviews. It was mostly conversational with few questions. Interviewers explained the position very well and went through my resume asking questions about work experience and education. It was relatively quick a painless. No difficult questions.

Interview Questions

• If someone is falling behind in your group with their work what would you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very little room for negotiation.