Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
Interviews for Top Jobs at Northern Trust
- Analyst (50)
- Financial Analyst (28)
- GOLD Program (9)
- Senior Analyst (8)
- Consultant (8)
- Operations Analyst (7)
- Intern (7)
- Investment Associate (5)
- Fund Accountant (5)
- Associate Fund Accountant (4)
- Summer (3)
- Finance (3)
- Second Vice President (3)
- Investment Performance Analyst (3)
- Fund Analyst (3)
- Vice President (3)
- Derivatives Analyst (3)
- Tax Technician (2)
- Investment Operations Analyst (2)
- Senior Consultant (2)
- Portfolio Accounting Analyst (2)
- Client Service Representative (2)
- Accountant (2)
- Alternative Investment Analyst (2)
- Marketing (2)
- Campus Recruiter (1)
- Marketing Manager (1)
- Vice President Marketing Manager (1)
- Account Relationship Associate (1)
- Senior RFP Writer (1)
- No OfferNeutral ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in May 2014.
Received a call for an interview a month after I applied online. Discuss salary w/HR over phone & then had 3 interview. Sent thank you emails along with a follow-up email weeks after the 2nd interview. No response ever received.
- Nothing to difficult. Questions were like explain your day-to-day work schedule? Any improvements you made that impact your current position? Do you work well with others...etc? Answer Question
- Declined OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL).
Mostly behavioral questions about past experiences.
- Will ask about the different financial records such as balance sheet etc. Will ask for you to break down each. 1 Answer
Reasons for Declining
Started looking to move out of state.
- No Offer
I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northern Trust.
Internal hire, joined group after helping their manager on several projects on the side of my previous job.
- No surprise / difficult interview questions given prior work experience with the manager and team. Answer Question
- Accepted Offer
I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Northern Trust.
Minimal compared to other places. No hard questions. Mostly can you get along
- never had a difficult or unexpected question the who time ive been there 1 Answer
- Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL).
It was over 7 years ago, so don't remember much
Helpful (4)No OfferNegative ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Naples, FL).
Contacted by HR representative and spoke with them for about 30 minutes. The HR rep asked general behavioral questions and also asked about my resume, experience, and previous jobs. I was then contacted two days later to schedule an face to face interview with two managers the next week. The 2:1 interview with the two managers was not very difficult as I was asked only behavioral type questions, nothing technical. One of the managers was extremely rude and arrogant, purposely trying to make me uncomfortable, however the other interviewer was very pleasant. Not sure if they were trying to play good cop bad cop to see how I reacted, but it was completely unwarranted to be as rude as the one manager was. The two managers grilled me on my resume, schooling, and past work experience. Given that most of my work experience was unrelated to the position I thought it was a little excessive to go into such great detail about my summer landscaping jobs in early undergraduate school, but they kept asking unnecessary and unrelated questions for the job I was applying to. Overall, the interview was relatively easy, but I did not get a good feeling about working at that office as the one manager was just so unpleasant and rude. I would not have wanted to work with him if I got the job offer and I got the feeling that the other manager who does work with him did not like him much either because of his arrogance. It has been 3 weeks and I have not heard a word from the company, even after sending follow up emails and thank you emails to the HR rep and both managers. I am pretty sure I will never hear from anyone in the company about not getting the job, which is inexplicably rude to not even send an email, let alone a phone call, to inform candidates of their status or that the company has decided to move on with other candidates.
- No difficult or technical questions, asked only basic behavioral questions. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Have you ever had conflicts with co-workers? Have you ever had a conflict with a customer? Tell me about yourself? What do you know about Northern Trust? Answer Question
- Accepted OfferEasy Interview
I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL).
Interview was easy right out of college. They were looking for naive pickings
- Why NTRS Answer Question
Back in 2007, 40K was the standard right out of school with a BS.
Helpful (1)Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceDifficult Interview
Lengthy interview process. Expect up to 2 months or more. Very competitive with extensive interview questions. 3 part interview. HR phone recruiter, 3 panel interview, multiple questions, expect an hour or so, then a final with department head. Many behavioral questions, one or two critical thinking, describe yourself, how well do you handle being alone and team environment, how well do you handle difficult clients, co-workers, accountability, and resolution skills. They are expecting you to sell yourself, so do just that. They ask if you have an understanding of the job role, do some basic research and ask questions that you may have. They encourage it.
- Mock Interview of an inbound call with a problem, and what you would do to resolve or handle it. Expect beginning to end. 1 Answer
Depending on experience you may be able to negotiate some. They offer shift differential, big plus.
- Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Westwood, CA).
It was a long time ago. I responded to an add in the paper and called for a interview. I had 5 interview before I was hired. Northern Trust only hires the best.
- I was asked what was my pet peeve. Answer Question
I did not negotiate at that time. The salary was much higher that I was receiving from the credit union.
Helpful (1)No OfferPositive ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in February 2014.
Very relaxed phone interview. Questions very basic. How did you help a past client. How long was the engagement. No technical questions. The interview was several weeks after submitting the application and so it took me a minute to remember the job description I was interviewing for.
- Tell me about yourself Answer Question
Is this helpful? The community relies on everyone sharing – Add Anonymous Interview Review
See What Northern Trust Employees Are Saying
Pros: “This is an investment mgmt cos that still allows the portfolio mgr to put the clients interest ahead of company profits .”“This is an investment mgmt cos that still allows the portfolio mgr to put the clients interest ahead of company profits .” – Full Review