Northern Trust

Updated Oct 27, 2014

2.4

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Northern Trust in October 2014.

Initial Brief phone interview - mainly about salary expectations. Two initial interviews (same day with different line managers) about previous work experience. They also shared details about position that was available. Second interview with Manager/VP more behavioral and awkward due to questions. No offer or communication yet (it has been days). I have inquired via email but no answer (2 days).

Interview Questions
  • What were items on your past job reviews that were listed as weaknesses or for you to work on.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Northern Trust

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust.

I applied for one position and got a call to interview for another one (the operations analyst). The initial interview was with 3 people; the department manager (Sr VP), Manager (VP) and an HR rep. Nothing special to report, the manager seemed a little put off that she had to conduct an interview, but fairly standard. Told me I would have a second interview in 2 weeks and that they'd be in-touch. For a month I didn't hear a word back from anyone, even after I sent follow up emails, but they finally called and told me I got the position and that no second interview was required.

Interview Questions
    • "If you could do anything you wanted to for the rest of you life what would it be? And don't BS me."   Answer Question
    I didn't attempt to negociate, from what I head from others who started with me there was not wiggle room around the salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

interviewed at Northern Trust in January 2013.

I was brought in to meet the team of associates I'd be working with. I had 4 individual interviews, each lasting for 30 mins. I was there a little over 2 hours. I was asked mainly a bunch of behavioral and fit questions. Nothing super difficult.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Northern Trust in May 2011.

I was called by an HR Recruiter from Northern Trust, who left me a phone voicemail message indicating that he wanted to speak with me about my qualifications and work experience. I was all excited - and called the recruiter back, and he said that he had only one question: what is my current salary? I asked him back why he wanted to know so quickly, given how we have not even spoken in person, nor have I met any managers for the position and talk about my experiences. He said that he did want to waste HIS time, nor did he want to waste the managers' time. After I reluctantly gave him my salary figure, he said, well, you know Northern Trust has a budget, and we have to be in line with that before we can hire people like you. I told him right away that why didn't he consider even meeting with me before being so rude? He said that I was wasting his time and hung up on me. The phone conversation lasted less than 2 minutes.

I'm very upset and disappointed. I was expecting to talk with the recruiter over the phone regarding my experiences like he said; instead, he said that I was wasting my time. A respectable company like Northern Trust actually employs pushy human resources recruiters to insult potential employees (and an employee referral) such as myself is a disgrace to their own reputation. What a waste of MY time.

I don't even want the job now even if I got called back. Northern Trust, you just left a very bad taste in my mouth. Learn to respect people.

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northern Trust in April 2010.

Easy because I had a referral from a high-level current employee and the job was not a desired position. I got the job through a temp agency and was hired on a temporary basis until I was hired by the company three months later.

Interview Questions
    happened with the temp agency