Northern Trust

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Very Easy Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Northern Trust in May 2011.

Interview Details – I was called by an HR Recruiter from Northern Trust, who left me a phone voicemail message indicating that he wanted to speak with me about my qualifications and work experience. I was all excited - and called the recruiter back, and he said that he had only one question: what is my current salary? I asked him back why he wanted to know so quickly, given how we have not even spoken in person, nor have I met any managers for the position and talk about my experiences. He said that he did want to waste HIS time, nor did he want to waste the managers' time. After I reluctantly gave him my salary figure, he said, well, you know Northern Trust has a budget, and we have to be in line with that before we can hire people like you. I told him right away that why didn't he consider even meeting with me before being so rude? He said that I was wasting his time and hung up on me. The phone conversation lasted less than 2 minutes.

I'm very upset and disappointed. I was expecting to talk with the recruiter over the phone regarding my experiences like he said; instead, he said that I was wasting my time. A respectable company like Northern Trust actually employs pushy human resources recruiters to insult potential employees (and an employee referral) such as myself is a disgrace to their own reputation. What a waste of MY time.

I don't even want the job now even if I got called back. Northern Trust, you just left a very bad taste in my mouth. Learn to respect people.

Interview Question – What is your current salary?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I interviewed at Northern Trust in January 2013.

Interview Details – I was brought in to meet the team of associates I'd be working with. I had 4 individual interviews, each lasting for 30 mins. I was there a little over 2 hours. I was asked mainly a bunch of behavioral and fit questions. Nothing super difficult.

Interview Question – What would your past coworkers say about you?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Northern Trust.

Interview Details – I applied for one position and got a call to interview for another one (the operations analyst). The initial interview was with 3 people; the department manager (Sr VP), Manager (VP) and an HR rep. Nothing special to report, the manager seemed a little put off that she had to conduct an interview, but fairly standard. Told me I would have a second interview in 2 weeks and that they'd be in-touch. For a month I didn't hear a word back from anyone, even after I sent follow up emails, but they finally called and told me I got the position and that no second interview was required.

Interview Question – "If you could do anything you wanted to for the rest of you life what would it be? And don't BS me."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't attempt to negociate, from what I head from others who started with me there was not wiggle room around the salary.

Worked for Northern Trust? Contribute to the Community!