Northern Trust Operations Analyst Interview Questions

Updated May 15, 2015

2.4

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in May 2011.

Interview

I was called by an HR Recruiter from Northern Trust, who left me a phone voicemail message indicating that he wanted to speak with me about my qualifications and work experience. I was all excited - and called the recruiter back, and he said that he had only one question: what is my current salary? I asked him back why he wanted to know so quickly, given how we have not even spoken in person, nor have I met any managers for the position and talk about my experiences. He said that he did want to waste HIS time, nor did he want to waste the managers' time. After I reluctantly gave him my salary figure, he said, well, you know Northern Trust has a budget, and we have to be in line with that before we can hire people like you. I told him right away that why didn't he consider even meeting with me before being so rude? He said that I was wasting his time and hung up on me. The phone conversation lasted less than 2 minutes.

I'm very upset and disappointed. I was expecting to talk with the recruiter over the phone regarding my experiences like he said; instead, he said that I was wasting my time. A respectable company like Northern Trust actually employs pushy human resources recruiters to insult potential employees (and an employee referral) such as myself is a disgrace to their own reputation. What a waste of MY time.

I don't even want the job now even if I got called back. Northern Trust, you just left a very bad taste in my mouth. Learn to respect people.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Northern Trust

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northern Trust in April 2010.

Interview

Easy because I had a referral from a high-level current employee and the job was not a desired position. I got the job through a temp agency and was hired on a temporary basis until I was hired by the company three months later.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't a difficult question   1 Answer

Negotiation

happened with the temp agency

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The interview process took a pretty long time. I didn't get a phone interview for a month after I applied, and it took another month for an in person interview to be set up. The position I ended up interviewing for was different than the one I applied for. While the interview went reasonably well, the managers conducting it didn't seem to have read my resume. They also were pretty blunt about the hours required for the job (80+/week) and how repetitive it was, which I appreciated, but which also gave me a negative outlook on the position. They didn't end up making an offer to me for another 3 months, by which point I had moved on.

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Northern Trust in October 2014.

Interview

Initial Brief phone interview - mainly about salary expectations. Two initial interviews (same day with different line managers) about previous work experience. They also shared details about position that was available. Second interview with Manager/VP more behavioral and awkward due to questions. No offer or communication yet (it has been days). I have inquired via email but no answer (2 days).

Interview Questions

• What were items on your past job reviews that were listed as weaknesses or for you to work on.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with three people. Basic interview questions. They ask you what is your desired salary (which will qualify or disqualify you), also asked what I made in the past. I felt all went well but was not offered the job. I believe it was because I told them my expected pay. That was a mistake I plan to NEVER make again. If they are not offering you the position say negotiable.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

interviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL) in January 2013.

Interview

I was brought in to meet the team of associates I'd be working with. I had 4 individual interviews, each lasting for 30 mins. I was there a little over 2 hours. I was asked mainly a bunch of behavioral and fit questions. Nothing super difficult.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Northern Trust (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I applied for one position and got a call to interview for another one (the operations analyst). The initial interview was with 3 people; the department manager (Sr VP), Manager (VP) and an HR rep. Nothing special to report, the manager seemed a little put off that she had to conduct an interview, but fairly standard. Told me I would have a second interview in 2 weeks and that they'd be in-touch. For a month I didn't hear a word back from anyone, even after I sent follow up emails, but they finally called and told me I got the position and that no second interview was required.

Interview Questions

• "If you could do anything you wanted to for the rest of you life what would it be? And don't BS me."   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't attempt to negociate, from what I head from others who started with me there was not wiggle room around the salary.