Northrop Grumman Interview Questions in Baltimore, MD

2.6

22 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Production Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in August 2014.

I received an email from a recruiter telling me about a position at Northrop Grumman. About a week later, I was scheduled for a phone interview with 3 managers. The phone interview was fairly simple, they explained to me what the job was and the details regarding it. Then they gave me a chance to task them questions and tell them a little about myself. It took about 20 minutes. After, they told me they wanted to bring me in for an in-person interview. A week later I went in for the in-person interview. I was escorted to the managers office and there was two hiring managers, a lady and a guy. They both greeted me, the lady introduced herself and then the other manager. She then went on to ask me if I had any questions. I was caught off-guard. I was expecting her to talk a little before jumping into the question part. I went on to asking her questions for the next 10 minutes and most of her answers were very short and vague. The guy was much nicer in answering the questions. After about 10 minutes one of the senior engineers walked in to take me for a small tour around the facility, So i went. The tour was simple he explained some of the basic work they do and I had the chance to ask him questions about it. After about 20 minutes I walked back into the office. The lady then proceeded me into asking me if i had any more questions. At this point, i was running out of questions since I had only prepared about 10 questions to ask. I kept coming up with questions to ask. They still had not asked me ANY questions regarding my experience or anything. I was doing most of the interviewing. After I had the chance to go with another senior engineer and then another junior engineer to spend some time with them. I spoke to them individually asking them question and telling them about myself and talking about the position. After speaking to them for about an hour, I went back into the managers office. At this point, the lady seemed to have lost all interest in me because she was busy marking her calendar and doing her thing. VERY unprofessional. I tried to keep my cool and act as professionally as possible. The other manager had left to his office. So she then asked me one last time What I thought about the position and then asked me once again, if i had any other question. I had run out of questions to ask so I told her I did not have any further questions. She then proceeded on to telling me that she will keep in touch. By the end of the interview, I was never asked any questions or did not hear from any of the hiring managers about the position and other aspects of it. The only conclusion that came to my mind when i left is that I was the only minority in that department and that gave a sense that they did not want to hire a minority. My name is very American so I guess they weren't expecting a minority to walk into the office with the qualifications for this job. The vibe that I got from the lady manager there was very unfriendly and unprofessional. In a way, I am glad I didn't receive an offer. The recruiting called me a few days later telling me that they had chosen to only hire 1 person instead of 2 that they wanted to hired.

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in April 2014.

Very smooth easy process. Met recruiter at a student leadership conference, referred me to apply online. I applied online and was contacted a couple weeks later for an initial phone screen where I was asked very simple questions ("Why do you want to work at Northrop?" etc, nothing strictly behavioral/technical but more of a just get to know/chit-chat with you. Might have been a special case because I had met the recruiter a couple times personally). Was told to expect a hiring manager to contact me within 3-4 weeks, but didn't hear back until 10-12 weeks later. I let them know I had another offer on the table and was scheduled for a phone interview the next day with panel (well, 2 people). They were direct potential bosses and asked about my previous work experience (they were very interested in my undergrad research which was relevant). Dug deep into my research work asking questions about it, but there were no random unrelated technical questions. Asked one or two behavioral questions. Everyone was super friendly and really nice all-around.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you have a project deadline coming up, and a team-mate (who is the only one with the skills to complete his portion) has repeatedly said he would have his part done by "next week" but several weeks have passed and he has not finished yet?   Answer Question
    I attempted to negotiate slightly higher based on another offer I had. Director of Talent Acq. for my sector met with me personally on a school visit and explained to me that offer was non-negotiable but they really wanted me to come on-board. Offer was definitely a fair offer though. Everyone was very friendly all-around

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis Junction, MD

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in October 2013.

Month One: Standard interview, got the job offer a few days after the interview. I pass background check. It was contingent on customer approval. I start waiting for interview with customer. Weeks go by with zero contact from recruiter.

Month Two: Recruiter disappears. No response to weekly emails and phone calls. Odd.

Month Three: I am passed to new recruiter and told project will be ramping up over months three and four. Great! But no response to email at end of month three. Not worried yet

Month Four: No response to weekly emails and phone calls asking about next steps. Voicemails left as well but no response. It's now been two months with no response and no word on what happened to 'ramp up' on accepted job offer. Unacceptable.

Month Five: I am passed to third recruiter via email. He has no idea what is going on but will check with PM. He never gets back to me. I haven't heard from him in two weeks. Shockingly he doesn't respond to email or voice mail. t guess I don't have an offer after all.

I've been in the business over 20 years and no company recruiters have ever treated me as badly as at Northrop Grumman. I guess they just don't care

At this point i don't really want to work for this company any more.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had a problem with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Digital Design Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Linthicum, MD

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

I had an initial phone interview after my application process. The phone interview was with an upper management/supervisor and not HR. I had an in-person interview with 2 groups of 2 engineers/supervisors each. I also had a short meeting with HR about their benefits. They asked lots of questions about my experience and what I was looking for. There were no tests, or white-board question/answers.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me about specific digital architecture questions that giving my experience they thought I could answer.   Answer Question
    Given the terms of the offer, it was difficult to refuse. They offered more than I initially asked. The offer was handled by their on-boarding team which was independent of management.

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

An outstanding a professional process. The hiring process began with a telephone interview with the Business Development Manager for a General Manager (my potential boss). NGC then invited me for an in-person interview with a group with Electronic Systems located in Baltimore, MD. I interviewed with a three person panel and two others that dialed in. The group included two directors from groups that I would support and a person from the Advanced Concepts & Technologies Division. Each person introduced themselves and described their general responsibilities. Questions were based on my resume and how I felt I could help their team in business development. The initial interview lasted an hour, after which we relocated to an office for additional discussions about what the team was working on. It was a very positive experience. I left with a great impression of the group, and the NGC culture.

Interview Questions
    • While you don't have any specific experience in our technology/portfolio, how do you think you can help us grow our business with the Army?   Answer Question

NGC gave me an incredible offer to join the team. I only declined because I had competing offers that provided opportunities for greater responsibilities from the start.

Business Management Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Northrop Grumman in November 2012.

Interview was fairly standard. Two rounds of in person interviews. Te final interviews were somewhat intense and lasted about half of the day, but the process was overall fairly straightforward. After notification of an offer, there is a pretty hefty amount of paperwork but that is to be expected.

Interview Questions
    • No technical questions. It was key to know how the defense industry operates.   Answer Question
    Minimal negotiation.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Linthicum Heights, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Linthicum Heights, MD

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

I was brought out to stay at the Double-Tree Hotel for 3 days back in 1998. It was a good time with many other potential new hires.

Interview Questions
    We informally agreed on an amount, but the formal offer was considerably less. I made a counter offer for somewhere in between, and it was accepted.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in May 2012.

Recieved initial phone interview with HR, which was just to set up a phone interview with a manager. The same day, I recieved email from HR that they would like to have me come in for a company site interview, which lasted a whole day. However, the company site interview was pleasant. Everyone was very nice and asked simple behavioral and technical questions. I think they just want to make sure your personality fits well with the group.

Interview Questions
    • What do you look for in a Manager?   Answer Question
    • Describe a project that you have failed in and what lessons did you learn from it?   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis Junction, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in January 2012.

I met with two people on two separate days but sometimes candidates are met by several employees at once and interviewed. I cannot submit this unless I write at least 30 words on the Hiring and Interview process. I find this boring and not essential but here it is.

Did not need to negotiate

Electronic Systems Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Linthicum, MD

The process took a dayinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in November 2011.

The interview was a basic behavioral interview. Asked questions about job experience in the related field and whether I was willing to travel around the world (even to not so likable places like Afghanistan). Overall I think the interview went well.