Northrop Grumman

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Rancho Bernardo, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in June 2012.

Interview Details – They conducted a phone interview after I applied on the website. The asked very specific questions regarding the job and my experience with embedded systems. After a couple days, they gave me a call back for an in-person panel interview. There were 4 people that sat in on the panel during the interview, and it was very intimidating. Each person had their own gauntlet of questions, and it was a grueling process. Be prepared to display your knowledge and experience to them. They have a whiteboard and ask questions to make sure you are competent in the areas you claim to be, so don't try to BS them while applying. These people are experts and will see right through it.

Interview Question – "Why are sewer caps round?"   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – Little room for negotiation, but their offer was excellent and extremely hard to turn down.

Very Easy Interview

El Segundo, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in April 2008.

Interview Details – Managers don't know anything about engineering so if you want to work here, just make stuff up and smile allot. Senior engineering doesn't really care what you can and can't do, most of the time they don't know the correct answers themselves. Seriously, your pretend skills are worth more than your degree at Northrop.

Negotiation Details – Don't bother with HR, just get the best you can going in because it will be your last chance for a long time. No significant bonus; even for the experts.

Embedded Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in April 2008.

Interview Details – I was recommended by a contact within the company. After I applied for the job, I was asked to do a phone interview. That went pretty well; the interviewer asked standard questions about my background and experience, and probed a little into my technical ability. A couple weeks later they asked me to come out to San Diego for an on-site interview. This consisted of 3 parts: A panel interview with 3 senior engineers, a 1:1 interview with the dept head, and a 1:1 interview with HR. The technical interview wasn't as challenging as I had anticipated; the rest were fairly straightforward.
I would recommend that people contemplating working here be willing to work many and long hours. NG does offer overtime for salaried employees from time to time, which is nice actually, but it is not guaranteed. And like most government contractors, be prepared for lots of paperwork.

Interview Question – I was asked if I had any experience with Rhapsody.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – NG offered me a decent entry-level salary but was able to bump it up a couple of grand with a little pressure.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northrop Grumman

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!

Northrop Grumman Videos

Northrop Grumman – Why Work for Us?

We invite you to learn more about Northrop Grumman’s varied businesses and our rich history of innovation. Northrop Grumman continues to manufacture some of the most cutting-edge technology and products. As a member of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northrop Grumman Embedded Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Northrop Grumman employees and interview candidates.