Northrop Grumman Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

2.6

Interview

The interview process was very simply, though a little lengthy upfront. I applied on Northrop's website, and was contacted by a hiring manager approx 3 weeks later. I had a brief phone conversation, and scheduled a follow-up interview for the next day. The in person interview itself was very simple, though it is likely to be more dependent on the hiring manager, more than anything. My interview was very much like a conversation, as opposed to a behavioral based question interrogation. The hiring manager spoke about the company and the role itself, and from there a conversation just evolved. It sounded like a really unique experience, as the hiring manager was building up a team. I left the interview with a great feeling, thinking I found a perfect fit.

After the interview, is where it went downhill. I was contacted by a HR representative. The HR rep said the feedback she received was very positive, and that they'd like to proceed with my candidacy. After a few calls back and forth, I received a verbal offer. Everything just disintegrated after this, because I wasn't given any information beyond my annual salary. All I was told was that the benefits package was "very comprehensive" and in line with competitors in the industry and area. I found this absolutely ridiculous. Every company I have very worked/applied to, provided this information without any hesitation. When I reached out to an individual within the same team I would be working on at Northrop, I was questioned by HR regarding my intentions, when all I wanted was to learn about the company culture and dynamics. It appears that being interested in the specifics of benefits is going too far. I also never received a written offer, only verbal. According to HR, a written offer would require too much clerical work, and they needed a commitment before they would consider writing up an offer. I received a verbal offer on a Friday. I had reconnected with the recruiter Monday afternoon, and on Tuesday I was told that the offer had been rescinded. Apparently, I hadn't given my commitment quick enough, and HR was questioning whether I was interested in the role itself, or just a payday. Funny, because I had an offer from a direct competitor with a more comprehensive package. Well, thank you Northrop. Your lack of professionalism knows no bounds, and has made my employment decision very easy.

Software Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Interview

It was a new grad interview. It took 2 days. They paid for foods, flights, lodging. Interviewers were very nice and friendly. Pretty easy-going conversation on what I've done throughout college. No technical questions asked.

Software Development Analyst I Interview

Interview

This was a really easy interview. Some hypothetical questions, and no coding questions whatsoever. They asked about my previous projects and internships. They asked what my favorite language was. There was a phone interview and then an in-person interview, and that's all there was to the process. I was interviewed by a manager and a handful of developers.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman (Reston, VA).

Interview

The interview consisted of some technical stuff as well as work habits. What sorts of programs had I been involved with before. How strong my programming skills were. Met with a couple of people including the hiring manager. She was very nice and professional, but also quite clear what she was looking for and whether or not I met her expectations for the job.

Interview Questions

• There were several question in one of the interviews about basic math stufff. Finding the area of a square, distance calculations, stuff like that.   Answer Question

Database Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Interview

I went to the company hiring event. I did separate interviews with two different managers. I was contacted a few days later to setup another interview with a manager that was hiring for two different positions.

Interview Questions

• In my experience, what was my greatest achievement?   1 Answer

Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Interview

I was referred by an employee. Very slow response after initial resume submission. After three (3) months, scheduled phone interview. Based upon questions asked by the Recruiter during the interview, it was obvious that interviewing recruiter had not even read my resume. The position applied for was a Senior Management position and the recruiter was not prepared. Then company scheduled an on-site interview, then rescheduled twice due to hiring manager "conflicts". I declined to reschedule after the second canceled interview. Terrible experience.

College Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northrop Grumman (San Diego, CA).

Interview

I applied online. It took about 1.5 months to hear back. Hiring manager emailed me and scheduled a phone interview since I was in anther city. Interview lasted only about 15-20 minutes. Next day, the department head called me and phone interviewed me for about 15 minutes.

Questions were pretty standard. They asked me a bit about my knowledge of the company and position and then proceeded to tell me about the position requirement and responsibilities. The process was comfortable and not very stressing. Both hiring manager and department head were very friendly and professional.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman (McLean, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

I knew someone who works at a company so I sent my resume and cover letter to him. Few weeks later, I get a call to set up a phone interview. Very easy and short. Just went over some details of the position and asked about the courses I've taken and the projects I did in school. Few days later, I got contacted from the recruiter and got a offer.

Interview Questions

• What course have you taken in college that relates to the job?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about the projects you did in college that relates to the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received a call from a recruiter. After a few general questions (salary range, etc) she set me up with a 3 person panel telephone interview the following week. They asked a lot of job specific questions, and very few "standard" interview questions. I was as prepared as I could have been, but a lot of questions and desired qualifications were not listed in the job description.
    I felt pretty good after the interview, but didn't hear back from them or the recruiter. After a few days, I checked the application site and found my status had changed to "no longer under consideration". It seems a common trend for
    Companies to not inform you if you didn't get the job, even though a simple email would do.
    Oh well.

Business Planning Analyst Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Interview

Very slow to get to the interview but the process was informal. The manager was friendly and the process was nothing too intense or case-based. HR is pretty slow so do not get frustrated by their lack of response.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience relative to the job?
      How do you handle conflict amongst a team?
      What do you do in a meeting if a member presents incorrect data?

Answer Question