Northrop Grumman Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.6

Quality Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Interview

The process took about 3 weeks to get the on site interview. The simple were simple and straight forward behavioral questions. If you are confident about every aspect of content in your resume you should be good to go.The interviewer had a list of questions and jot down notes from my responses. You will also be given an opportunity to ask him questions, so prepare at least three good questions.

Interview Questions

Interview

The interview process was very simply, though a little lengthy upfront. I applied on Northrop's website, and was contacted by a hiring manager approx 3 weeks later. I had a brief phone conversation, and scheduled a follow-up interview for the next day. The in person interview itself was very simple, though it is likely to be more dependent on the hiring manager, more than anything. My interview was very much like a conversation, as opposed to a behavioral based question interrogation. The hiring manager spoke about the company and the role itself, and from there a conversation just evolved. It sounded like a really unique experience, as the hiring manager was building up a team. I left the interview with a great feeling, thinking I found a perfect fit. After the interview, is where it went downhill. I was contacted by a HR representative. The HR rep said the feedback she received was very positive, and that they'd like to proceed with my candidacy. After a few calls back and forth, I received a verbal offer. Everything just disintegrated after this, because I wasn't given any information beyond my annual salary. All I was told was that the benefits package was "very comprehensive" and in line with competitors in the industry and area. I found this absolutely ridiculous. Every company I have very worked/applied to, provided this information without any hesitation. When I reached out to an individual within the same team I would be working on at Northrop, I was questioned by HR regarding my intentions, when all I wanted was to learn about the company culture and dynamics. It appears that being interested in the specifics of benefits is going too far. I also never received a written offer, only verbal. According to HR, a written offer would require too much clerical work, and they needed a commitment before they would consider writing up an offer. I received a verbal offer on a Friday. I had reconnected with the recruiter Monday afternoon, and on Tuesday I was told that the offer had been rescinded. Apparently, I hadn't given my commitment quick enough, and HR was questioning whether I was interested in the role itself, or just a payday. Funny, because I had an offer from a direct competitor with a more comprehensive package. Well, thank you Northrop. Your lack of professionalism knows no bounds, and has made my employment decision very easy.

Systems Engineer IV Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redondo Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Northrop Grumman (Redondo Beach, CA).

Interview

interviewed with 5 interviewers in the room. It was very relaxed and conversational. I explained my past experiences which lined up extremely well with the position. I talked about patents that I authored as proof of innovative personality and projected their schedule accurately for the next year based on a short description. It was clear by the end of our one hour interview that I would receive an offer

Interview Questions

• Explain how you innovate in your daily job   1 Answer

Negotiation

It took over 6 weeks to obtain a formal offer. My grade was increased and I was given top of market pay. HR would not budge on base pay but sweetened the deal with increased relocation funds and a healthy signing bonus typical reserved for directors.

Engineer Systems II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northrop Grumman (Sunnyvale, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Received a call 3 weeks after applying online. Interview was 1.5 hrs long with program manager, team lead, design engineer and safety personal. Interviewers wanted me to go over my resume and then after ask me 10 behavioral questions. About two weeks later, I received a call from the recruiter saying I was selected for the position. She told me she would call me back with final offer (initial was really low) and further details, but I didn't get a call back. We will see tomorrow.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where I didn't have all the information I needed to get a task done by a deadline. How did I go about getting the task done.   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redondo Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman (Redondo Beach, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

First a call, discussing your prior experience, interests, projects, etc. Then they fly you out for a stay (if you're not local) and interview you more in depth on the same criteria mentioned above. Personality and group based questions.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions were: 1. How to split an 8-bit integer into two 4 bits. (Data structure). 2. What is wrong with this for loop question.   Answer Question

Software Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Interview

It was a new grad interview. It took 2 days. They paid for foods, flights, lodging. Interviewers were very nice and friendly. Pretty easy-going conversation on what I've done throughout college. No technical questions asked.

Software Development Analyst I Interview

Interview

This was a really easy interview. Some hypothetical questions, and no coding questions whatsoever. They asked about my previous projects and internships. They asked what my favorite language was. There was a phone interview and then an in-person interview, and that's all there was to the process. I was interviewed by a manager and a handful of developers.

Principal Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman (Annapolis, MD).

Interview

I presented my graduate school work to a team of engineers and managers. Then I interviewed in 1-on-1's. It was clear they are technically strong. Management was competent too with a lot of experience. They seemed able to deal with development and production at the same time.

Interview Questions

• do you have any ties to the area?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman (Reston, VA).

Interview

The interview consisted of some technical stuff as well as work habits. What sorts of programs had I been involved with before. How strong my programming skills were. Met with a couple of people including the hiring manager. She was very nice and professional, but also quite clear what she was looking for and whether or not I met her expectations for the job.

Interview Questions

• There were several question in one of the interviews about basic math stufff. Finding the area of a square, distance calculations, stuff like that.   Answer Question

Database Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Interview

I went to the company hiring event. I did separate interviews with two different managers. I was contacted a few days later to setup another interview with a manager that was hiring for two different positions.

Interview Questions

• In my experience, what was my greatest achievement?   1 Answer