Northrop Grumman Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014
Updated Oct 22, 2014

2.6

Manager Level II Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

I had a three person panel interview. It was very helpful at the begining because they took the time to explain their organization and current challenges. The interview began with the standard "Tell me about yourself" question. The follow-on questions were focused on getting to know me and better understand my skill set. There were a couple of behavior based questions and a few technical questions (tell me about trends in the industry...). Overall, it was straight forward and enjoyable.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a customer who....? They asked about a current difficulty they were having and I was not prepared with an answer.   Answer Question

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Excellent! NGC was organized and had great communication. The time between interviewing and the next step and the next and the offer was slow. I figured I wasn't moving forward, but then they called.

Yes, very reasonable

Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Overall fairly quick from when I was notified of preliminary interview to offer letter. About 3 weeks, which included a phone interview and then a week or so later an in person panel interview

Interview Questions
    • Fairly easy. Know your resume and know the position you're applying for. Be comfortable   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

I received a phone call from the HR department and scheduled an interview after applying 1 week earlier. The interview wen very well with a total of 10 behavioral questions and other questions regarding my past experiences and education. Very comfortable and smooth interview.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was about specific inventory control.   Answer Question

Engineer II Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Northrop Grumman has one of the better hiring processes that I have been through. Their applicant website is updated throughout the process so you know how far along you are. Recruiter review - Hiring manager review - Interview - Interview pending feedback - Offer discussions - offer accepted.

I applied to multiple positions before I received an offer (don't give up!) the process took an average of 1 month from application to interview. Response on the hiring decision averaged 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, mostly personality interview questions (i.e. how do you deal with conflict) and questions about projects I have worked on.

Unexpected question: Name 3 things about your current job that you like
        Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

They bring you to their most high tech facility, give a tour of products, and schedule a 2 on 1 interview. This is somewhat misleading because you may not work at the interviewing facility. Request a tour of your real office.

Interview Questions
    • n/a...no technical questions although this was likely due to my transcript. They only ask tech questions to those they're not sure of.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate but probably should've

Manufacturing Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in September 2014.

I submitted an application on-line through the Northrop Grumman careers website. 20 days later I received an email from HR asking to set-up an on-site interview. The interview was set for the following week.

The interview took a total of 2 hrs. It began with a tour of the facility (~1hr) and then a panel interview with 4 people: my hiring manager, the person that gave the tour (my supervisor), and two other people from different departments.

They started with "Tell us about yourself" and then took turns asking STAR questions. ie "Tell us about a situation where you had to convince others of something using logic/facts." and other topics like working in groups, managing multiple tasks, communication etc. Nothing technical or difficult. Then they asked more straight forward questions like "What is most important to you about a job?" "What is least important?" "Are you willing to work off shifts?"

The interview concluded with the hiring manager saying it might take a while to hear back, and then I was escorted out to the main entrance by someone who had just recently been hired. It was a 5 minute walk so I was able to ask how his experience had been since he began. He said positive things and bid me farewell.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult or unexpected questions. Very positive experience.   Answer Question
    A week after I interviewed I received a call and email from HR with an offer of 68K (yearly salary) with benefits and up to 10K (reimbursed) for relocation assistance. The offer expired in 3 days.

I asked (via email) if I could have a week extension on the deadline and if the salary was negotiable. I was granted the extension and told the salary couldn't be increased. I replied "The reason I ask is given x, y, and z I'd like to see myself at 72k range. Is there anything we can do to get closer to that range?"

Then the HR person was out of the office for a week, so I had to wait a week for her reply.

She came back, and said "I'll get back to you at the end of day; I'll see what I can do." And within a few hours she called and said "I can't get you 72K, but we can do 70K"

That was good enough for me.

Leadership Development Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in September 2014.

Interview was pretty laid back. Mostly just talked about my interests and projects that I had worked on. Got a call the next day saying I had the job. Very quick process.

Systems Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redondo Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redondo Beach, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in September 2014.

I was approached by a recruiter at a conference who was looking for candidates for engineering positions. An initial interview was scheduled for the next day and was a panel interview. I was asked about items on my resume, my experience, and the types of positions I would be interested in having. The interview took about 30 minutes and ended with a request to apply to a particular posting on their careers website. The NG careers website is fantastic because it allows you to follow the progress of your application from "Under consideration by recruiter" all the way through the hiring process.

About five weeks later, I was contacted by HR informing me that I had been selected to interview on-site. An email from a hiring manager within the division I was being considered for informed me that I was among multiple candidates for an interview "event." I was flown out to LA a day before the interview. Upon arrival to the interview, I found that it was an interview event with about a dozen candidates being interviewed by 20+ managers and engineers. All of the employees were very friendly and mingled with the candidates before the event started. The event started with a group activity involving all of the candidates where the managers could observe how everyone worked together to figure out a particular assignment. Afterwards, every candidate was scheduled for two interviews. My interviews were both panel interviews (1:2 and 1:4) for different positions within the division. The first interview consisted of a description of the type of work they were performing and the position they were looking to fill. Questions included additional details regarding my resume and experiences relating to the position. My second interview was with managers of one of the recruiters I met at the original conference. They discussed their department and talked about their roles within the organization. Questions focused on prior experiences and STAR questions, the ones you expect during an interview. Unfortunately, a tour of the facilities was not a scheduled part of the event, and all of the interviews occurred in the cafeteria.

Two weeks later, I was called by another person in HR to discuss their interest in extending me an offer and the benefits that come with the position. Not included on Glassdoor or any other source was that everyone is given paid vacation for all workdays between Christmas and New Years. The offer details were sent to me via email a day later and accepting or rejecting it is done on the careers website. Details regarding the on-boarding process and relocation package were also provided.

Interview Questions
    • What was a situation where you saw someone wasn't doing their share of the work and what did you do about it?   View Answer
    Their offer was higher than what I was expecting (based on Glassdoor salaries) so I did not negotiate. Questions regarding the relocation package were firmly answered with no negotiation available.

Pgm Planning and Scheduling I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in September 2014.

Applied online through NG'S career page. I received a phone call from a recruiter probably 2 months later. She asked some basic questions such as criminal history and whether I was legal to work. Then we scheduled a time and date for a phone interview with a hiring manager. That call lasted 30-45 mind, and entailed details about the job description, my capabilities, as well as DoD clearance. I was then asked to come in for an in person interview (at this step currently)