Northrop Grumman

395 candidate interviews

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Newport News, VA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in May 2008.

Interview Details – I was told from the beginning and for the duration of the interview that I was unqualified and would not like working in this particular department. Despite having listed my college degree and major field of study (physics), I was told that my degree had nothing to do with work at the shipyard. This made me ask exactly why I was being interviewed in the first place because I kept my degree and major no secret. I asked several times why I wouldn't like working in that department, and the question was ignored.

Within the first few minutes of the interview, I was being shown the door without an opportunity for me to ask questions, so I asked anyway. When I asked about educational opportunities and training within the company, I was directed to a social networking site that had nothing at all to do with training opportunities. Before leaving the interview, I was told that it didn't matter about my interview because they needed someone to start right away, and I was not immediately available due to my having to give notice at my current job.

Funny enough, I was called one month later with an offer for the job. That didn't exactly give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about accepting the offer.

Interview Question – Why are you here?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The interview experience was terrible. The manager seemed like he hated everyone. The interview experience made me concerned about accepting this job. I couldn't understand how such a negative interview resulted in a job offer. I called HR and explained that I was nervous about accepting the offer due to the experience, and I would like to ask a couple of questions, mainly why am I receiving an offer after being told that I'm completely unqualified and that physics has nothing to do with anything at the shipyard. I never received an answer. They did call back a couple times, without answers to my questions, to ask me to sign the offer, which I ultimately declined. The main reasons for declining were fear of being fired for any reason due to a manager who seemed to hate me from first sight to working for someone who expects me to deliver on a goal without even telling me what that goal is supposed to be.

Engineering Manager Interview

Engineering Manager
Palmdale, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in August 2009.

Interview Details – Interest by HR and Management and I had 1 interview by Chief Engineer and 2 other managers.

They indicated in the Job Description on what they wanted. I was prepared for the specifics. But turned the tables indicating they where looking for other specific experiences. End of interview. Waited 3 weeks for a response. Not selected Wishing future endevers. Basically it was of waste of my time.
Management was not interested in lots of experience on what the requisition posted indicated.
Poor HR Skills in there office. Culture white only.

Interview Questions

• What is your interpretation of the word comparability?   View Answer
  • Are you a detailed person or a big picture person.   View Answer

Mechanical Engineer Intern Interview

Mechanical Engineer Intern
Ogden, UT

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in February 2012.

Interview Details – Applied on the Northrop website. Was contacted by phone to setup an interview within a few weeks. Interview panel consisted of 4 head engineers from different departments. I don't remember the questions asked. I only remember leaving the room feeling like the dumbest person in the world.

Interview Question – Only questions I remember were "How competent are you in finite element analyses?" and "What's your favorite class you've taken in college?"   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Interview Details – You will be heavely screened by their HR department, If you actually make it to an interview you have a very good shot of getting a job. They screen candidates so heavely before they actually see the hiring manager that the candidates they send forward are more than likely going to get selected for something. I interviewed one time with a group of people and I was offered a postion the same day.

Interview Question – Can you tell me what you did in the Army that can translate to what you can do for me?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They really didnt negotiate, they have so many people that apply if you turn it down they just move onto the next person.

Business Management Analyst I (PDP) Interview

Business Management Analyst I (PDP)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in November 2012.

Interview Details – Did a phone interview, and then interviewed with 4 different managers. I was asked standard interview questions such as: What is your greatest weakness? Describe a time when you had to be in charge of a team, etc.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you spoke up about something or revealed something that you shouldn't have?
If you were an animal, what animal would you choose to be and why?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I'm a recent college grad and this is my first professional job so I did not negotiate the salary.

Program Manager II Interview

Program Manager II

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Interview Details – Hiring and interview process was even longer than other defense industry companies were. It appeared that no one could make a decision without a staff meeting and email discussions. Even the manager said there are “a lot of company hoops we have to jump through.”

The phone interview was unprofessional. I was given a number to call in for a conference call, but there was no answer. I tried repeatedly. After talking with the recruiter and reconfirming the number, I called again. A manger answered and said he just connected to the conference call line and the other managers wouldn’t make it. Despite this situation, I still moved to the in-person interview.

The in-person interview was uncomfortable. The building was old with uneven floors. Looking back, I think the building was modular trailers linked together. The temperature was warm and the room was cramped. I’m glad I brought my own water because there wasn’t any there.

The interview was a few questions that were pre-printed and given to me. I had about 5 minutes to look them over and come up with my answers. The questions were not what I expected. The questions were too specific for a job that I only had a job description for. I assume the hiring manager came up with the questions he was going to ask all the candidates without regard for company experience or familiarity with the position.

Overall, the interview was very uncomfortable even though I was extremely qualified (based on the job description). It took over a month to hear that I was not selected.

Interview Question – During the in-person interview, I was asked my techniques to meet OSD policy on Operational Availability.   Answer Question

Systems Safety Engineer I Interview

Systems Safety Engineer I

I applied online and interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Interview Details – The interview was about a 45 min phone interview with two people. There was supposed to be three people conducting the interview. There were some basic interview questions, but most of the interview was technical questions related to the job description. The jobs was an entry level job, but by the questions they were asking, they were looking for someone with work experience.

Interview Question – Do you have knowledge of MIL-STD-882?   Answer Question

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Embedded Software Engineer
Rancho Bernardo, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in June 2012.

Interview Details – They conducted a phone interview after I applied on the website. The asked very specific questions regarding the job and my experience with embedded systems. After a couple days, they gave me a call back for an in-person panel interview. There were 4 people that sat in on the panel during the interview, and it was very intimidating. Each person had their own gauntlet of questions, and it was a grueling process. Be prepared to display your knowledge and experience to them. They have a whiteboard and ask questions to make sure you are competent in the areas you claim to be, so don't try to BS them while applying. These people are experts and will see right through it.

Interview Question – "Why are sewer caps round?"   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – Little room for negotiation, but their offer was excellent and extremely hard to turn down.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Interview Details – Had 2 interviews with Recruiter before actually talking to NG. All seemed very promising. Then had a full-day interview session with multiple interviewers at NG itself. These also went well. However, then "silence fell" as we say. Weeks and weeks later I got the dreaded "we'll keep you on file" letter.

Interview Question – Tell us how you handled a bad experience in your previous job.   Answer Question

Business Management Analyst I Interview

Business Management Analyst I
Baltimore, MD

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in November 2012.

Interview Details – Interview was fairly standard. Two rounds of in person interviews. Te final interviews were somewhat intense and lasted about half of the day, but the process was overall fairly straightforward. After notification of an offer, there is a pretty hefty amount of paperwork but that is to be expected.

Interview Question – No technical questions. It was key to know how the defense industry operates.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Minimal negotiation.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northrop Grumman

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!

Northrop Grumman Videos

Northrop Grumman – Why Work for Us?

We invite you to learn more about Northrop Grumman’s varied businesses and our rich history of innovation. Northrop Grumman continues to manufacture some of the most cutting-edge technology and products. As a member of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northrop Grumman interview questions and advice. All 395 interview reviews posted anonymously by Northrop Grumman employees and interview candidates.