Northrop Grumman Interview Questions

2.6

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in May 2008.

I was told from the beginning and for the duration of the interview that I was unqualified and would not like working in this particular department. Despite having listed my college degree and major field of study (physics), I was told that my degree had nothing to do with work at the shipyard. This made me ask exactly why I was being interviewed in the first place because I kept my degree and major no secret. I asked several times why I wouldn't like working in that department, and the question was ignored.

Within the first few minutes of the interview, I was being shown the door without an opportunity for me to ask questions, so I asked anyway. When I asked about educational opportunities and training within the company, I was directed to a social networking site that had nothing at all to do with training opportunities. Before leaving the interview, I was told that it didn't matter about my interview because they needed someone to start right away, and I was not immediately available due to my having to give notice at my current job.

Funny enough, I was called one month later with an offer for the job. That didn't exactly give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about accepting the offer.

Interview Questions

The interview experience was terrible. The manager seemed like he hated everyone. The interview experience made me concerned about accepting this job. I couldn't understand how such a negative interview resulted in a job offer. I called HR and explained that I was nervous about accepting the offer due to the experience, and I would like to ask a couple of questions, mainly why am I receiving an offer after being told that I'm completely unqualified and that physics has nothing to do with anything at the shipyard. I never received an answer. They did call back a couple times, without answers to my questions, to ask me to sign the offer, which I ultimately declined. The main reasons for declining were fear of being fired for any reason due to a manager who seemed to hate me from first sight to working for someone who expects me to deliver on a goal without even telling me what that goal is supposed to be.

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palmdale, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Palmdale, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in August 2009.

Interest by HR and Management and I had 1 interview by Chief Engineer and 2 other managers.

They indicated in the Job Description on what they wanted. I was prepared for the specifics. But turned the tables indicating they where looking for other specific experiences. End of interview. Waited 3 weeks for a response. Not selected Wishing future endevers. Basically it was of waste of my time.
    Management was not interested in lots of experience on what the requisition posted indicated.
    Poor HR Skills in there office. Culture white only.

Interview Questions
    • What is your interpretation of the word comparability?   View Answer
    • Are you a detailed person or a big picture person.   View Answer

Mechanical Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ogden, UT
    Anonymous Employee in Ogden, UT

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in February 2012.

Applied on the Northrop website. Was contacted by phone to setup an interview within a few weeks. Interview panel consisted of 4 head engineers from different departments. I don't remember the questions asked. I only remember leaving the room feeling like the dumbest person in the world.

Interview Questions
    • Only questions I remember were "How competent are you in finite element analyses?" and "What's your favorite class you've taken in college?"   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Meeting with several in hiring and management many, many behavior based questions. Started with a phone screen, then onsite. Took several months to go between the initial interview, the onsite and negotiation. The salary was certainly non negotiable. Overall a very lengthy process and very long interview.

Interview Questions
    • Basically, anything negative - what is your biggest weakness   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

The recruiting manager interviewed me over the phone for 30 minutes and then I went in for the in-person interview in Colorado Springs. Had to drive there from 120 miles away. The project manager was very pleasant but the technical interview was very difficult as the technical management asked questions many graduate students do not know. They seemed that they were unimpressed and had already had a guy that they were going to hire.

Interview Questions
    • Las Vegas Method, Anonymous Interclassing   View Answer
    • Q: What was one thing that they asked you?   View Answer

Training Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Very thorough and detail oriented. They will pick apart you resume and ask for examples of everything. Make sure you do you research not only about the position and job requirements but also about the organization and the specific project you are applying for. If they give you a post interview assignment DO IT! do it within 24 hours of receiving the instructions. The assignment adds a lot of value to the interview process.

Mechanical Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bernardino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bernardino, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in December 2014.

I applied on NGC's website and got a phone call about 2-3 weeks later. The hiring manager/head engineer asked me about my resume, previous design projects, and experience with FEA software. He asked if I was available the next day for an onsite interview. After I said yes, he told me I would need to give a 10 minute presentation on my previous design projects.

Interview Day:
    I arrived and was escorted in by the hiring manager. I began with my presentation to 4 of NGC's engineers (including the hiring manager) which lasted much longer than 10 minutes because of a lot of questions. After the presentation, the hiring manager asked me several questions on theory. We covered stress-strain curves and beam theory. Then I interviewed separately with each of the engineers that I gave my presentation to. One guy asked mainly behavioral questions. Another went into depth about my resume and gave me a little quiz where I had to hand draw a 2D drawing on a simple 3D part and make sure it was properly labeled (hole callouts, dimensions, fully defined, etc.) At the end, I had some final words with the hiring manager and was done.

I interviewed right before the holidays and was told I wouldn't hear back until the first week of January since most of the employees would be on vacation. I got an offer letter on jan 6, which was earlier than I exoected. I also didn't expect to get the job because I feel like my interview only went okay and not outstanding, and I don't have a lot of experience. But I think what I said at the end of the interview made an impact, which was "I've interviewed with other companies and they've all told me that i interview well but the selected candidate had more experience. I would just like to say that I'm the type of person that will spend extra hours to catch up and learn the skills I need to know on my own time. So like during this winter break, I'll YouTube videos on how to use the 3D CAD and FEA software without you asking me to and without getting paid."

This was only my 3rd interview but the 1st interview where I had to make a presentation and was asked questions on basic engineering theory.

Interview Questions
    • Draw the stress-strain curve for a metal and label important parts in the curve. (i.e. Yield Stress, Ultimate Tensile Stress, Fracture, Elastic Stage, Necking)   Answer Question
    I was given an offer letter and a choice to accept or decline. I didn't attempt to negotiate my starting salary. This is my first full time job out of college and $65k is a good salary for this location.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Initial phone screen with basic technical questions followed by a group interview. Large amount of technical questions with some questions on patterns. Interview was based around knowledge or .NET and C#.

Interview Questions
    • Detail questions on patterns. Honesty was greatly appreciate when answers were not known.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

It was all very professional and polished. Even though I literally knew I had the job, the HR recruiter, hiring manager, team lead, program manager and a couple of others still interviewed me and actually gave me a small written test on my Linux skills during the interview. They never gave away that I was a shoe-in for the job during any formal communications, and were very professional during the salary negotiation. I had one phone interview, then they flew me out for an in-person 4-hour interview with lunch at the location where I would be working.
    The first interview was the HR part, so he asked questions to see how I viewed my strengths and weaknesses and other questions related to working as a member of a team.
    The second interview was the technical part including the pop-quiz they told me I didn't have to take. I got the few pages done in 15 minutes and moved on.
    The third interview included a team lead from a different area whose sole stated purpose was to figure if my personality would fit with the other teams and team members. Then lunch. The interviewers met up later that day to review as a group and then shot an offer to me within a couple of days.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a personal conflict you had with another employee and how you resolved it.   View Answer
    Short, not a lot of wiggle room, I was able to get a small sign-on bonus that they did not initially offer.

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, KY
    Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, KY

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Upon arrival I was greeted before I even hit the receptionist desk. I was shown the break room and told I could help myself to a drink or snack. Few minutes later I was led into my interview room and the hiring managers were waiting to interview me. Most of the questions were very typical. What do you do now, what have you done in the past, where would you like to go, etc. HR kept in pretty good touch with me throughout the whole process. The only negatives about the process were (1) I noticed everyone wears a long sleeve dress shirt and tie. (2) As soon as our time was up I was cut off. I was literally in the middle of asking one of my questions and was interrupted to tell me our time was up. (3) I was not given reimbursement for my travel expenses.