Northrop Grumman

2.6

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in May 2008.

I was told from the beginning and for the duration of the interview that I was unqualified and would not like working in this particular department. Despite having listed my college degree and major field of study (physics), I was told that my degree had nothing to do with work at the shipyard. This made me ask exactly why I was being interviewed in the first place because I kept my degree and major no secret. I asked several times why I wouldn't like working in that department, and the question was ignored.

Within the first few minutes of the interview, I was being shown the door without an opportunity for me to ask questions, so I asked anyway. When I asked about educational opportunities and training within the company, I was directed to a social networking site that had nothing at all to do with training opportunities. Before leaving the interview, I was told that it didn't matter about my interview because they needed someone to start right away, and I was not immediately available due to my having to give notice at my current job.

Funny enough, I was called one month later with an offer for the job. That didn't exactly give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about accepting the offer.

Interview Questions

The interview experience was terrible. The manager seemed like he hated everyone. The interview experience made me concerned about accepting this job. I couldn't understand how such a negative interview resulted in a job offer. I called HR and explained that I was nervous about accepting the offer due to the experience, and I would like to ask a couple of questions, mainly why am I receiving an offer after being told that I'm completely unqualified and that physics has nothing to do with anything at the shipyard. I never received an answer. They did call back a couple times, without answers to my questions, to ask me to sign the offer, which I ultimately declined. The main reasons for declining were fear of being fired for any reason due to a manager who seemed to hate me from first sight to working for someone who expects me to deliver on a goal without even telling me what that goal is supposed to be.

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palmdale, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Palmdale, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in August 2009.

Interest by HR and Management and I had 1 interview by Chief Engineer and 2 other managers.

They indicated in the Job Description on what they wanted. I was prepared for the specifics. But turned the tables indicating they where looking for other specific experiences. End of interview. Waited 3 weeks for a response. Not selected Wishing future endevers. Basically it was of waste of my time.
    Management was not interested in lots of experience on what the requisition posted indicated.
    Poor HR Skills in there office. Culture white only.

Interview Questions
    • What is your interpretation of the word comparability?   View Answer
    • Are you a detailed person or a big picture person.   View Answer

Mechanical Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ogden, UT
    Anonymous Employee in Ogden, UT

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in February 2012.

Applied on the Northrop website. Was contacted by phone to setup an interview within a few weeks. Interview panel consisted of 4 head engineers from different departments. I don't remember the questions asked. I only remember leaving the room feeling like the dumbest person in the world.

Interview Questions
    • Only questions I remember were "How competent are you in finite element analyses?" and "What's your favorite class you've taken in college?"   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Meeting with several in hiring and management many, many behavior based questions. Started with a phone screen, then onsite. Took several months to go between the initial interview, the onsite and negotiation. The salary was certainly non negotiable. Overall a very lengthy process and very long interview.

Interview Questions
    • Basically, anything negative - what is your biggest weakness   Answer Question

Production Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in August 2014.

I received an email from a recruiter telling me about a position at Northrop Grumman. About a week later, I was scheduled for a phone interview with 3 managers. The phone interview was fairly simple, they explained to me what the job was and the details regarding it. Then they gave me a chance to task them questions and tell them a little about myself. It took about 20 minutes. After, they told me they wanted to bring me in for an in-person interview. A week later I went in for the in-person interview. I was escorted to the managers office and there was two hiring managers, a lady and a guy. They both greeted me, the lady introduced herself and then the other manager. She then went on to ask me if I had any questions. I was caught off-guard. I was expecting her to talk a little before jumping into the question part. I went on to asking her questions for the next 10 minutes and most of her answers were very short and vague. The guy was much nicer in answering the questions. After about 10 minutes one of the senior engineers walked in to take me for a small tour around the facility, So i went. The tour was simple he explained some of the basic work they do and I had the chance to ask him questions about it. After about 20 minutes I walked back into the office. The lady then proceeded me into asking me if i had any more questions. At this point, i was running out of questions since I had only prepared about 10 questions to ask. I kept coming up with questions to ask. They still had not asked me ANY questions regarding my experience or anything. I was doing most of the interviewing. After I had the chance to go with another senior engineer and then another junior engineer to spend some time with them. I spoke to them individually asking them question and telling them about myself and talking about the position. After speaking to them for about an hour, I went back into the managers office. At this point, the lady seemed to have lost all interest in me because she was busy marking her calendar and doing her thing. VERY unprofessional. I tried to keep my cool and act as professionally as possible. The other manager had left to his office. So she then asked me one last time What I thought about the position and then asked me once again, if i had any other question. I had run out of questions to ask so I told her I did not have any further questions. She then proceeded on to telling me that she will keep in touch. By the end of the interview, I was never asked any questions or did not hear from any of the hiring managers about the position and other aspects of it. The only conclusion that came to my mind when i left is that I was the only minority in that department and that gave a sense that they did not want to hire a minority. My name is very American so I guess they weren't expecting a minority to walk into the office with the qualifications for this job. The vibe that I got from the lady manager there was very unfriendly and unprofessional. In a way, I am glad I didn't receive an offer. The recruiting called me a few days later telling me that they had chosen to only hire 1 person instead of 2 that they wanted to hired.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

I applied, I waited and then I got an interview. The recruiter was shady, never answered any of my emails. But eventually I went to the interview. The interviewers were really unprofessional, I was suppose to be interviewed by 3 interviewers at 2. Only 1 interviewer showed up like 30 minutes late. This guy was nice, respectful, then later another interviewer came this guy was perhaps the rudest person I've ever met, he asked me a question and didn't give me any time to respond.

Vice President of Engineering Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Many rounds of phone interviews with various stakeholders. Face-to-face interview had to be rescheduled several times. I met with several people during 1:1 interviews. The follow-up interview was composed of a panel of people. I think that they already had an internal candidate earmarked for this position, but wanted to see if they could expand the search just in case they were missing an opportunity with an external candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we hire you if you have never been a general in the U.S. military services?   View Answer

Engineering Planning Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodland Hills, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodland Hills, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in September 2009.

In many possible ways, one can only be satisfied with the personal placement of oneself within a department void of crast leadership. I was treated with the utmost courtesy and professionalism.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked the proverbial, "Why do you want to work in this department?". I was taken aback at the obvious reasoning of being a professional, challenged daily and succeeding within the realm of superior cohorts.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation necessary. My salary was fitting to the position.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Rolling Meadows, IL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in March 2012.

Initial Interview, Panel Interview. Poor coordination and communication throughout the process. Panel Interview consists of 4-7 interviewers, including the hiring manager, other members of the department, as well as Diverse members of other departments.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, but they will ask in-depth questions about how you would perform in the new job roll, including laying out specific scenarios.   Answer Question

Poor communication/incompatibility with hiring manager.

Aircraft Electrical Maintenance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Augustine, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Saint Augustine, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Northrop Grumman in November 2013.

Very Professional People