Northrop Grumman

Updated Dec 18, 2014
Updated Dec 18, 2014

2.6

Program Manager II Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Started as a phone interview, about 30 minutes. Immediately moved to next round. Second interview was live and held a couple days later. It was also 30 minutes and was conducted with 2 managers. I was called back within 48 hours and offered the position.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was very basic. They asked what my target salary was for the position.

Professional Development Program Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

It was a nice and laid back process. Several one on one interviews with HR and then a panel with engineering managers. Basic behavioral questions, didn't get into anything technical. You don't have to know a lot about the company, but at least know why you want to work there and what you can offer to them.

No negotiations

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in October 2012.

I applied online and a recruiter contacted me to setup an interview with manager. Phone interview is more about experience and resume. The site interview was with 3 lead engineers and manager. Questions were the typical for a java software engineer including concepts of polymorphism, abstraction, etc.., databases and they asked me to write a little program.

Interview Questions
    Recruiter called to give an offer with a salary. There is no negotiation.

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in October 2014.

Very relaxed interview. Did not have any technical question, all about programming habits - likes, dislikes. Know your resume and you will do well. Everyone I talked to was very nice, there was time left over at the end so my interview showed me around the building. Very cool to see the inner workings. Received an offer over the phone and via email two weeks after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. No reversing linked lists - just questions about what you know and your strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question

Software Engineer III Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Overall the process was smooth. Upon applying on-line, got a call the next day from a recruiter to talk the basics: current compensation, availability, etc. The next day, a different HR person called to set up a phone interview, which was all confirmed by e-mail. Excellent process. Held phone interview with hiring team. Two days later my applicant status moved from interview to "interview pending feedback," where it has been now for more than a month. No further feedback from HR. I wish they would pay a little more attention to getting back to the applicant after the phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult technical challenge you have faced in the course of your career?   Answer Question

Engineer In Test I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in October 2014.

I met a recruiter during a career fair and he was very nice and we talked about their team and what work they do. After that we had a 30 min interview right on the spot mostly talking about my previous experience and the projects on my resume. After that, he said he'll be in touch. A week later I was invited to an on site interview which lasted around 1.5 hours. There were 5 people interviewing and there were a lot of behavioural question and specifically asing about projects that i had done relating to the job.

Interview Questions
    • Do you like being the leader or the doer in a team? (was kinda unexpected as I hadn't thought about it)   Answer Question

just got offer, waiting on other companies

Systems Administrator Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in December 2013.

Short version:
    Approx. 9 months of interviews including 2 phone interviews and 4 in-person interviews. Another 8 months to begin work after receiving job offer due to background investigation.

Long version:
    While I was in college, I submitted countless resumes over the course of two years (2010-2012) online and during corporate visitations on campus for full-time and internship positions. In March of 2013 I was contacted by someone in NGs talent acquisition who was interested in bringing me in to a college hiring event after a phone interview. We kept in contact over the course of a few months, but after some silence I called back in August of 2013 to see if there was any update on bringing me in for the hiring event. Unfortunately, I was told by her; "Sorry, I don't work on this anymore."

My campus had its annual career fair in October 2013, which I attended. While handing out resumes and speaking to employers, I eventually came to the Northrop Grumman booth. Behind the booth was none other than the person who kept in contact with me during most of 2013 and then practically told me to "shove off". I handed her my resume, and she recognized it. She then asked me if I could come in for an interview on campus the next day, which I did.

The interview was not difficult; it was mostly asking about personality, college course experience, working with others, and projects; nothing irrelevant or made to stump the interviewee. After the interview, she scheduled me with a College Hire event that NG was holding in November 2013.

I suited up and made the two hour trip to McLean, VA for the College Hire event where I had two interviews, each with a manager from a different team. Again, the interviews were very relaxed and questions were mostly regarding my technical experience, college courses, and personality. One manager and I got off on a great foot about some of my interests and goals, and even had a few good laughs together. After the event, I was told that I would get my results in a couple of weeks regarding whether or not I would be hired. Unfortunately, this was around the time of the government shutdown, so I was told that the teams I interviewed with were down in funding and couldn't hire someone at the moment.

Back to square one after months of direct contact with NG, and only a month away from graduation, I was beaten and once again throwing my resume wherever I could. A few days after my hire event results, I received an email from someone in HR who was very apologetic, saying I was being considered for a position, but denied due to funding. She scheduled a phone interview with me and during it she told me to search for available positions that I qualified for and was interested in, send her the job IDs, and then she would contact those managers directly about me. I did just that, and a week later received an email asking me to come in for an interview.

Now December 2013, I suited up and went to the interview. I was being interviewed by two people where it was yet again a very relaxed interview with questions about my technical experience and college courses; no random questions thrown out of left field. The interview went well, and I could only hope that I would get favorable results.

A week later, I received an email stating that NG was moving forward with a job offer for me, and was contacted directly by phone about the steps to come. On my graduation day in December 2013, my family and I were out celebrating when I received a call about the official job offer and salary. From that point on, I filled out paperwork, traveled to the location for more paperwork, waited for the clearance process to go through, and received the okay to begin working in August 2014.

Interview Questions
    • None. Interviews were very relaxed and questions were mostly about my technical experience.   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate. I was given a salary amount and took it since I was nearing graduation and desperate for a job. I have no complaints.

College Technical Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in November 2014.

I talked to the recruiter at the career fair and the next morning I got a call from them asking for an interview. The interview itself was very relaxed. It was just a one on one conversation with the same recruiter from the previous day. For the first part we mainly talked about each others personal life and didn't get into talking about my qualifications until the end of the interview. I actually received an offer in the middle of my interview.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I gave my resume to a representative at my college's career fair not expecting much. I got a call within a couple days for an on-site interview. The interview lasted 5 hours, consisted of a casual interview (while eating lunch) a tour of the campus, and then one-on-one interviews with three of the managers. Very straight forward questons. Got an offer over the phone within a couple of days.

Oracle Database Administrator III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in August 2011.

One recruiter interview, one review with management. Easy interview, no one present had the same technical background and as long as the answer was given with confidence there were little to no follow up questions.