Northrop Grumman

Updated Jan 28, 2015
Updated Jan 28, 2015

2.6

Structural Analysis Engineer II Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Northrop Grumman in January 2015.

Spent months applying to different positions before I was called in for an interview. Check regularly at the status of your application and for new job posting because there are always new posting every time I check. The interview was nothing out of the ordinary, just make sure you're prepared with you're most up to date resume, wear a suit and be yourself. I was actually given the choice between two positions that I would be a great fit for but after talking to my interviewers further we established that one would be a better fit for me. I received a phone call the following day with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Would you prefer an analytical role or design role?   View Answer
    My initial offer was exactly what I wanted, so I didn't try pushing for more. I generally don't take the first offer so if it's not what you were expecting then feel free to ask for more, the worst they can say is no.

Vice President of Engineering Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Many rounds of phone interviews with various stakeholders. Face-to-face interview had to be rescheduled several times. I met with several people during 1:1 interviews. The follow-up interview was composed of a panel of people. I think that they already had an internal candidate earmarked for this position, but wanted to see if they could expand the search just in case they were missing an opportunity with an external candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we hire you if you have never been a general in the U.S. military services?   View Answer

Professional Development Program Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

It was a nice and laid back process. Several one on one interviews with HR and then a panel with engineering managers. Basic behavioral questions, didn't get into anything technical. You don't have to know a lot about the company, but at least know why you want to work there and what you can offer to them.

No negotiations

Program Manager II Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Started as a phone interview, about 30 minutes. Immediately moved to next round. Second interview was live and held a couple days later. It was also 30 minutes and was conducted with 2 managers. I was called back within 48 hours and offered the position.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was very basic. They asked what my target salary was for the position.

Software Engineer III Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Overall the process was smooth. Upon applying on-line, got a call the next day from a recruiter to talk the basics: current compensation, availability, etc. The next day, a different HR person called to set up a phone interview, which was all confirmed by e-mail. Excellent process. Held phone interview with hiring team. Two days later my applicant status moved from interview to "interview pending feedback," where it has been now for more than a month. No further feedback from HR. I wish they would pay a little more attention to getting back to the applicant after the phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult technical challenge you have faced in the course of your career?   Answer Question

Proposal Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in December 2014.

Too many “chefs stirring the pot” during the recruitment process. One person makes initial contact, another sets up the interview, and a third informs you of the disposition (that is, if you get informed at all). It prevents the candidate from developing even the slightest of rapports with a recruiter. This shouldn’t be the case – especially since the recruitment is done in-house.

I knew we were off to a bad start when the previous interviewee was parting ways with the hiring manager as I was being escorted in by one of her subordinates. That showed a lack of professionalism. Once we got started, she seemed unprepared and what was really shocking was her ignorance of and total lack of context for the current state of the industry – really surprising since it looks like she’s about a 10-year veteran of the company so that shouldn’t be an excuse. I came away with the impression that while this interviewer may be book smart, she was completely lacking in emotional intelligence. Case in point: one should not be referring to a tenured employee and subordinate as a “girl who works for me”. Seriously?!? Astounding that an individual so lacking in refinement and polish could be representing Northrop Grumman at any managerial level. I’ve had other interviews at NG that have gone well – this was just not one of them.

Interview Questions
    • Why didn't you just get a job in CITY?   View Answer

Mechanical Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bernardino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bernardino, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in December 2014.

I applied on NGC's website and got a phone call about 2-3 weeks later. The hiring manager/head engineer asked me about my resume, previous design projects, and experience with FEA software. He asked if I was available the next day for an onsite interview. After I said yes, he told me I would need to give a 10 minute presentation on my previous design projects.

Interview Day:
    I arrived and was escorted in by the hiring manager. I began with my presentation to 4 of NGC's engineers (including the hiring manager) which lasted much longer than 10 minutes because of a lot of questions. After the presentation, the hiring manager asked me several questions on theory. We covered stress-strain curves and beam theory. Then I interviewed separately with each of the engineers that I gave my presentation to. One guy asked mainly behavioral questions. Another went into depth about my resume and gave me a little quiz where I had to hand draw a 2D drawing on a simple 3D part and make sure it was properly labeled (hole callouts, dimensions, fully defined, etc.) At the end, I had some final words with the hiring manager and was done.

I interviewed right before the holidays and was told I wouldn't hear back until the first week of January since most of the employees would be on vacation. I got an offer letter on jan 6, which was earlier than I exoected. I also didn't expect to get the job because I feel like my interview only went okay and not outstanding, and I don't have a lot of experience. But I think what I said at the end of the interview made an impact, which was "I've interviewed with other companies and they've all told me that i interview well but the selected candidate had more experience. I would just like to say that I'm the type of person that will spend extra hours to catch up and learn the skills I need to know on my own time. So like during this winter break, I'll YouTube videos on how to use the 3D CAD and FEA software without you asking me to and without getting paid."

This was only my 3rd interview but the 1st interview where I had to make a presentation and was asked questions on basic engineering theory.

Interview Questions
    • Draw the stress-strain curve for a metal and label important parts in the curve. (i.e. Yield Stress, Ultimate Tensile Stress, Fracture, Elastic Stage, Necking)   Answer Question
    I was given an offer letter and a choice to accept or decline. I didn't attempt to negotiate my starting salary. This is my first full time job out of college and $65k is a good salary for this location.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I gave my resume to a representative at my college's career fair not expecting much. I got a call within a couple days for an on-site interview. The interview lasted 5 hours, consisted of a casual interview (while eating lunch) a tour of the campus, and then one-on-one interviews with three of the managers. Very straight forward questons. Got an offer over the phone within a couple of days.

Structural Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Northrop came to my campus as part of the career fair. I met one of the several HR people at a networking event before the job fair, honestly told him my shortcomings and handed in my resume. Next day at the job fair I met him again, and he gave me an interview. I had an on campus interview with the same person, and it went very well. He just walked down my resume and asked more about my personal struggles and how I support myself. I was calm, collected, honest and humble. They are looking for people who they can get along with, and aren't snobby. A lot of my high GPA elitist classmates would like to say my offer from Northrop was charity, but I beg to differ. The same attitude got me interviews from Lockheed Martin and Pratt & whitney as well.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about yourself"....*endless silence*   View Answer
    They made an offer after an on campus interview. I asked them if I could see the facility and they arranged for a trip. Not a lot of people stick their neck out with a company like Northrop. Most of my fellow peers accepted the offer without even seeing the facility. I was an exception.

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Met recruiters at a school career fair and dropped off a resume. Two weeks later i was contacted and told they would be interviewing on campus. They have two interviews for new hires - one relaxed personal interview and then a technical interview. The interviewer I had was very helpful and laid back.

Interview Questions
    • The personal interview is not difficult and they just want to make sure you think reasonably and have drive.   Answer Question