Northrop Grumman

Updated Dec 18, 2014

2.6

Structural Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redondo Beach, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

I applied online, but had been hitting the company hard with on-campus interviews (I was at grad school going for my Master’s at the time) and a friend of a friend. It's highly possible that the position I interviewed for had nothing to do with my other actions. A couple of weeks later, I got the email from someone who I later found out wanted to advocate me. We did the phone interview, which I thought I could've done a lot better in. A couple of weeks later, I received no follow-up, and contacted the person again to see if I made it to the next round of interviews. Turned out that I did, but talent acquisition was very slow and was supposed to contact me the week before. Talent acquisition and I soon planned out my on-site interview, which I did on 30 minutes of sleep (Note: do not drink Thai iced tea the night before... turns out some may be overloaded with caffeine). The interview was a group panel, and the person who did the phone interview with me sat by my side as I answered the panel's questions (we were all seated at a conference table but the panel sat opposite) on my past experiences. It was a very smooth and comfortable interview, but it was difficult to recall internship analyses that I hadn't done in years. Everyone was very pleasant and wanted to get to know me as a person and as an engineer.

I did not receive a follow-up until I called talent acquisition a month later. They told me that they were working on an offer, and in just a couple of days later, I received that offer. It appeared to be very competitive with offers for similar positions. I accepted the offer after negotiating for a slightly higher salary and a later start date, and am looking forward to working with Northrop Grumman!

Interview Questions
    • "Has there ever been a time when something (does not have to be an analysis) completely stopped you in your tracks after a long process that you had complete confidence in? How did you handle the situation?"   View Answer
    Simple. I gave them a range of the higher salary that I wanted and legitimate reasons (cost of living, student loans, complete shift in life to the opposite coast, etc.) and a range of start dates that I thought were more reasonable because I still had to hunt for apartments. They were very reasonable!

Mechanical Engineer IV Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redondo Beach, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in June 2014.

I was recommended by a head hunter. The initial interview was good if very short lived, I phone interviewed with the MGSE director.
    The second interview I had was with the department head and the section head. While the interview went well, I believe they did not like me for my ethnicity. This is the 4th time I interviewed with this department and had no success. Please note that I have held this job before as a contract engineer so I know I am well qualified

Interview Questions
    • "What is your hot button?" This question willingly puts you in a bad light. My reply was that I do not like people who do not pull their own weight....   View Answer

Interview for Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in June 2014.

I applied online through the Northrop Grumman website. About 2 months after applying for the position, I got a phone call from Human Resources requesting an on-site interview. The interview was with 2 of the Program Managers, very informal but professional and only took about 30 minutes. Was mostly asked behavioral and interest questions and discussed my resume/experience.

Interview Questions
    • What type of work or task would you least like to do, or do you not like doing?   View Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rolling Meadows, IL

Applied online via the Northrop Grumman careers website. Contacted by hiring manager via email a few months later. Initial phone interview with hiring manager and an RF systems engineer. Brought in for an on-site interview at the Rolling Meadows facility a few weeks later. Met with HR representative for a few minutes, followed by a panel interview with six or so employees. Mixture of functional managers and RF and EO/IR technical personnel. Asked to give a general overview of my experience / skillset, followed by a couple questions about my resume and some situational / behavioral questions. Opportunity to ask questions. Afterwards met with one of the higher up EO/IR managers, before finishing up with HR. Short tour of the facility to see the cafeteria area and new gym with showers. Whole interview took about 2 hrs. HR said they would be in touch. Followed up with HR via email a few weeks later. HR representative was kind enough to let me know they were moving in another direction.

Post interview treatment with regards to travel reimbursement was less than professional. Since I was traveling from out of town, HR had me contact the corporate travel agency to make flight, hotel, and rental car arrangements. Normally, this is billed directly to the company. Unfortunately, the hotel that they normally use for direct billing was fully booked, so I had to pay for the hotel out of pocket. I was told by the travel representative and the Northrop HR representative that this would be reimbursed. After the interview I mailed the receipts for hotel and other expenses to the HR representative as they requested. Three to four weeks later I sent an email to the HR representative inquiring if they had received the receipts since I had not yet received reimbursement. When the HR representative did not respond after a week, I sent another email to both HR representatives inquiring if they had received the receipts and were able to get the expense report into the processing queue. When I did not hear back from either HR rep, I sent an email to the hiring manager inquiring if he needed anything else from me in order to process the travel expense reimbursement. It has now been over two months and I have not received travel reimbursement or even an email from either HR rep or the hiring manager with regards to the expenses I submitted. As I point of comparison, I later interviewed with another Fortune 500 company and was reimbursed for travel expenses within 11 days. If you do interview with Northrop and have to travel from out of town, you may not be reimbursed for meals, hotel, and rental car gas even if they tell you that they will reimburse you beforehand.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. Standard questions and resume, technical experience, and some situational / behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Program Cost Schedule & Control Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in June 2014.

I applied for the position the last week of March, 2014. Got a phone call directly from the hiring manager the first week of June. Chatted with him for about 20 minutes, it was very pleasant. He gave me a broad overview of the position, asked me about my experience, what I knew about the company and asked me to come in for an face-to-face interview. The gentleman gave a more detailed description of the position and explained some of the company moral programs (sports clubs, etc.) they currently have.

I did plenty of research on the company. I examined their financial statements for the last 5 years, found what percentage of the markets shares they held for the sectors they are in, and found some current news on them as well. Unfortunately, the gentleman I interviewed with monopolized the vast majority of the interview time. I wasn't able to really expound or drill in to much of my experience I've acquired from the military, or what I know of the company. For the one question I was able to ask, he gave a very prolonged, long winded answer just as he did with the job description. In addition, there were supposed to be two other people at the interview who did not show up, but yet the interviewer took copies of my resumes for them. So, I don't know if they attended interviews for other candidates, but if they did, that seems a bit unfair because I would have to assume they have input on the hiring decision if the interviewer took copies of my resume for them.

Ultimately, I was not selected for the position. When I asked what my weak areas were so I could improve on them, I was told "I had no weak areas."

Interview Questions
    • None. I was asked about a portion of my experience and why I though I was a good fit for the position.   Answer Question

Subcontracts Administrator I Interview

Panel interview, all day. Tour, overview of the company. 3 rounds. Lunch. There were no real tough questions, it seemed pretty standard. They flew 6 people in and hired 3.

Interview Questions
    • "Are you OK working for a company that makes weapons that ultimately may hurt adversaries?"   Answer Question
    No negotiations, accepted offer

Engineer III Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Lengthy process of negotiating HR and clearances. Phone then in person interview was a one man process. From time of submitting resume to start was about 6 months due to clearances needed.

negotiation went through a recruiter

PDK Interview

Recruiters contacted me and discussed matching skills. Arranged for manager's phone interviews as usual. Soon after, on-site interviews were set up. Interviews are similar to other companies' except the group presentation and Q&A. Everyone was really nice and professional. All front to back PV/PDK and IC designs and devices questions were asked. All are very interesting. HR, team members, and everybody involved are pleasant, but of course professional.

Interview Questions
    • Some unexpected IC design questions came up, but I was ok since I did MS IC designs, I did well on them, but I did not expect circuit design questions in the interviews.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Azusa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Azusa, CA

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in May 2014.

It was several months between when I applied and when I heard anything from the company for an interview. I had a telephone interview that wasn't anything too difficult. They were really nice and asked questions about projects and experiences that I had listed on my resume. They did "test" my technical knowledge of some of my projects, so be sure to be very comfortable with what is on your resume. The phone interview lasted about an hour. The next day I got a call that they were interested in flying me to the site for an in-person interview for a couple weeks later. The 2nd interview lasted 3-4 hours and consisted of 3 2-on-1 meetings with people of the company. Again, they asked mostly questions about my resume and behavioral questions, but they did ask some technical questions and had me explain a technical process that I had used in a certain project. Everyone there was really nice. However, after the interview, I was told to call the HR in a week to see if there was a decision made. I did, and she said it would be another week or two. After that, I never heard back from the company. I called several times to try to reach someone and emailed them and never heard a response. I was never given a formal rejection, my online profile just said "No longer under consideration." After the pleasant experience I was given throughout the interviews, I was very disappointed in the manner I was treated after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult. Everything mostly based on my resume experiences or other behavioral questions.   Answer Question

College Technical Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in May 2014.

Contacted for an interview about 4 weeks after applying online. Interview was over the phone with 3 NG employees: a manager and two engineers. The interview was very conversational and comfortable - just asking questions about my resume, previous projects/internship, etc. No technical questions really, just asking what technical skills I had and how I used them to solve various projects.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing weird, just typical "tell me about yourself" stuff   Answer Question
    No negotiation