Northrop Grumman

Relevance Date Difficulty

Systems Integration Engineer Interview

Systems Integration Engineer
Newport News, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Interview Details – I responded to a posting on a job site advertising positions that require security clearances. I was contacted by HR for a phone interview with the local management on the project. After a 45 minute phone interview, I had no idea if I had done well. Two weeks later I was contacted for an on-site interview. The same individuals conducted the on-site.

Interview Question – I don't recall any questions that were "out there" or that I wasn't already fully prepared to answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I responded to the offer, which was an exact match to my initial "requirements" I had put on my application, with a counter and it was accepted. At the time I was very new to the process and there was little to no data on what I "should" be making so I way underbid myself and I'm not kind of paying for it since HR rules kick in and limit the annual increases according to pay bands, etc.

Very Easy Interview

Senior Mechanical Designer Interview

Senior Mechanical Designer
Newport News, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in January 2009.

Interview Details – Got a call from an in-house recruiter on a Saturday morning. He said they had a n opportunity and I appeared to be a great fit for the position. Asked if I was open to relocation. Since I had no opportunities in Miami, Florida I said of course I'll relocate. He then said they would fly me in for an interview. I arrived at the interview the next week. Due to my broad experience and many years of experience they hired me on the spot. Although they hired me I had to wait 4 months for the background check to conclude. Since this is a national security government contractor, all employees must pass the background check or you don't make it back there. Once that was done it took about another 2-3 weeks to have my things picked up and shipped there. They provided temp housing and food allowance until I found my own place. They even got me a real-estate agent to drive me around all day to find apartments. Very class act.

Interview Question – If you have any secrets about your past, they will find it and ask you about it. The truth is the most important thing. Also, if you owe a lot of money you will not get a job there. Owing a lot of money makes you a target for spies to try and recruit you by offering large sums of cash. So if you don't have your finances in order, regardless of your high qualifications, you are not getting in.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They have set salaries established and they will not budge. It's either you want the job or not. They do their homework before making an offer and I think they do a good job to give you a fair starting salary.

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Newport News, VA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in March 2010.

Interview Details – Was already a current employee & I applied for a internal position by intranet. Got notification by email of interview request and details. Interview went very smooth & I was told that I would receive notification of a decision. I never received any kind of notification so I kept checking the status on the employee job site until it totally disappeared still in interview status. Human resources at this location does a very poor job & has a very poor reputation of how employees are treated. People with less experience & skills that are not current employees with get a position before a qualified current employee.

Interview Question – What makes you qualified for this position?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Newport News, VA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in May 2008.

Interview Details – I was told from the beginning and for the duration of the interview that I was unqualified and would not like working in this particular department. Despite having listed my college degree and major field of study (physics), I was told that my degree had nothing to do with work at the shipyard. This made me ask exactly why I was being interviewed in the first place because I kept my degree and major no secret. I asked several times why I wouldn't like working in that department, and the question was ignored.

Within the first few minutes of the interview, I was being shown the door without an opportunity for me to ask questions, so I asked anyway. When I asked about educational opportunities and training within the company, I was directed to a social networking site that had nothing at all to do with training opportunities. Before leaving the interview, I was told that it didn't matter about my interview because they needed someone to start right away, and I was not immediately available due to my having to give notice at my current job.

Funny enough, I was called one month later with an offer for the job. That didn't exactly give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about accepting the offer.

Interview Question – Why are you here?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The interview experience was terrible. The manager seemed like he hated everyone. The interview experience made me concerned about accepting this job. I couldn't understand how such a negative interview resulted in a job offer. I called HR and explained that I was nervous about accepting the offer due to the experience, and I would like to ask a couple of questions, mainly why am I receiving an offer after being told that I'm completely unqualified and that physics has nothing to do with anything at the shipyard. I never received an answer. They did call back a couple times, without answers to my questions, to ask me to sign the offer, which I ultimately declined. The main reasons for declining were fear of being fired for any reason due to a manager who seemed to hate me from first sight to working for someone who expects me to deliver on a goal without even telling me what that goal is supposed to be.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!

Northrop Grumman Videos

Northrop Grumman – Why Work for Us?

We invite you to learn more about Northrop Grumman’s varied businesses and our rich history of innovation. Northrop Grumman continues to manufacture some of the most cutting-edge technology and products. As a member of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northrop Grumman interview questions and advice in Newport News, VA. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Northrop Grumman employees and interview candidates.