Northrop Grumman

Updated Oct 7, 2014

2.6

Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Overall fairly quick from when I was notified of preliminary interview to offer letter. About 3 weeks, which included a phone interview and then a week or so later an in person panel interview

Interview Questions
    • Fairly easy. Know your resume and know the position you're applying for. Be comfortable   Answer Question

Pgm Planning and Scheduling I Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in September 2014.

Applied online through NG'S career page. I received a phone call from a recruiter probably 2 months later. She asked some basic questions such as criminal history and whether I was legal to work. Then we scheduled a time and date for a phone interview with a hiring manager. That call lasted 30-45 mind, and entailed details about the job description, my capabilities, as well as DoD clearance. I was then asked to come in for an in person interview (at this step currently)

Guidance Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Got contacted by a recruiter to set up an interview though email. Had to reschedule couple of times. The interview itself was somewhat of a panel interview with the manager and a couple of people from the department. They were all pretty friendly and we basically talked about my previous experiences and what kind of work I will be doing. Waited over 6 weeks and still haven't gotten any answer from them. I assume I was rejected

Interview Questions
    • Asked a lot about the things I listed on my resume.
      No behavior questions

Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

I applied, I waited and then I got an interview. The recruiter was shady, never answered any of my emails. But eventually I went to the interview. The interviewers were really unprofessional, I was suppose to be interviewed by 3 interviewers at 2. Only 1 interviewer showed up like 30 minutes late. This guy was nice, respectful, then later another interviewer came this guy was perhaps the rudest person I've ever met, he asked me a question and didn't give me any time to respond.

Program Cost Schedule & Control Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in June 2014.

I applied for the position the last week of March, 2014. Got a phone call directly from the hiring manager the first week of June. Chatted with him for about 20 minutes, it was very pleasant. He gave me a broad overview of the position, asked me about my experience, what I knew about the company and asked me to come in for an face-to-face interview. The gentleman gave a more detailed description of the position and explained some of the company moral programs (sports clubs, etc.) they currently have.

I did plenty of research on the company. I examined their financial statements for the last 5 years, found what percentage of the markets shares they held for the sectors they are in, and found some current news on them as well. Unfortunately, the gentleman I interviewed with monopolized the vast majority of the interview time. I wasn't able to really expound or drill in to much of my experience I've acquired from the military, or what I know of the company. For the one question I was able to ask, he gave a very prolonged, long winded answer just as he did with the job description. In addition, there were supposed to be two other people at the interview who did not show up, but yet the interviewer took copies of my resumes for them. So, I don't know if they attended interviews for other candidates, but if they did, that seems a bit unfair because I would have to assume they have input on the hiring decision if the interviewer took copies of my resume for them.

Ultimately, I was not selected for the position. When I asked what my weak areas were so I could improve on them, I was told "I had no weak areas."

Interview Questions
    • None. I was asked about a portion of my experience and why I though I was a good fit for the position.   Answer Question

New Grad FPGA/VHDL Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northrop Grumman in November 2013.

Went to the career fair, was called back to meet with a recruiter the next day. We went over my resume. Was then e-mailed a week or so later to come in for an interview. I was interviewed by two engineering managers for an hour, then I toured the campus with another manager, then met with HR. The engineers didn't smile much and were very serious, but the HR guy and main manager were very nice.

Interview Questions
    • Do you know what an FFT is, would you be able to solve a simple op-amp circuit, what are the two types of state machines, have you taken any classes in DSP   Answer Question

Contracts Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Northrop Grumman in October 2013.

Submitted resume on line. HR recruiter called. Set up 60 minute interview with two interviewers at one time. They were both Contracts Managers and both had openings. The interview actually lasted 90 minutes. One interviewer was more reserved, one more friendly; sort of a "good cop / bad cop" type of questioning.

Interview Questions
    • They painted a complex hypothetical that could occur and asked me if I had ever had such a case, and if so, how did I handle it. The scenario they painted was so intricate I could not remember having had the exact experience, and said so.   Answer Question

Configuration Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Northrop Grumman in May 2013.

I applied for the position online, and then didn't hear back from them until about 2 months later. They asked me to come in for an in-person interview. I live near L.A. and they were 200 miles away in San Diego, but I agreed to the interview anyway.

I was greeted at the door by my two interviewers: a software developer who was doing the responsibilities of both her own job and the clerical work of the Configuration Analyst position, as well as the branch's Mission Assurance manager (whom I would be reporting to if hired). Apparently they were looking for someone to take over the developer's clerical duties so she could get back to focusing on her own job.

The interview was held in a conference room. They spent a good 15-20 minutes telling me about the position and the responsibilities it would entail--basically running around the different departments and keeping track of who's signed off on what. They asked me if this was something I'd be interested in doing, and I said something along the lines of "Absolutely."

They then went over my resume and asked me about some of my programming experience (I'm a computer science major). They said that there was a good chance that the Configuration Analyst position could lead into a software position for me at the company, at which point I said that I was very interested in the position now.

The interviewers then asked me some small talk questions like "How was your drive down here?" and "What do you do for fun?" In the end, they said to expect a phone call within 2 weeks if I got the job. All in all, I felt very good about how the interview went.

After 2 weeks, I called their hiring manager and left a message asking about my status as a job candidate. I got an email the next day that basically said "We don't need you" in nicer terms.

Interview Questions
    • I was expecting the usual series of canned interview questions, but got none of that. The question "What do you do for fun?" is probably what threw me off the most.   Answer Question

College Intern Technical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in May 2013.

Went on 3 interviews prior to this one from which I was hired. I'm a 20 yr retired enlisted Navy vet. I believe I presented myself well, however I think that I was my in the Navy as a supervisor that was my downfall for the previous interviews. I think they were looking for someone less used to being in a supervisory position.

Engineer, CAD Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

when I interviewed at Northrop, I was interviewed by 4 people at once. The position I filled is no longer offered. The culture at Northrop was a lot of former military, but I believe that is changing and with the cuts in Defense spending, the position

Interview Questions
    • there weren't any difficult or unexpected questions, I knew going in the types of questions they were going to ask and was prepared.   Answer Question
    there was no negotiating.