Northrop Grumman

Average Difficulty
16 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Redondo Beach, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online through their website. The process took 2 weeks before I got a phone call from Human Resources requesting an on-site interview. I then interviewed at Northrop Grumman in March 2014.

Interview Question – None. They broke down my resume and asked some behavioral questions. Very straight forward. Interview consisted of two separate hour interviews. The first interview was with two members from the software team. Second interview was with Hiring Manager and Engineer Manager.   Answer Question

Huntsville, AL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online through my college's career website. I heard from a recruiter two weeks later and did an on-site interview. The interview was typical. They asked about skills listed on my resume and a few behavioral question.

Interview Question – None. It was pretty straight forward   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None needed.

Orlando, FL

I applied online and interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Interview Details – From the beginning the process was smooth, they contact me via phone and set up the interview right away. The day of the interview I did not expect I was going to be interviewed by really young people, one of them did not have to much knowledge of my degree, did not have any question for me. It was a pleasant experience after all.

Interview Question – I was ask about the courses I took back in college and what I did in a particular class, that have nothing to do with the position I was been interviewed for. I thought it was out of content, but I answer it.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary and working hours, they told to expect to work from 50 to 60 hours a week.

Software Engineer I

I applied online and interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Interview Details – I was contacted for an initial interview, which was the basic interview which was with a HR. Basically just went over my resume, plans, what I was looking for etc. Got an e-mail for a second interview with an engineer. Had a problem scheduling the interview, but finally found one that works. Waited an entire hour after the given interview time but no call.

Denver, CO

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in November 2012.

Interview Details – My initial contact with the company was through our school career fair. I did not receive an on-campus interview; however, after about a month I was invited to an on-site interview. Several other candidates attended as well. We were introduced to the company by several panels of employees (young and old). We were then put through two interviews. Each interview consisted of 2-3 interviewers in a small office. The interviews were very down-to-earth. There were standard H.R. type questions and several questions regarding project and job experience. Several of the candidates were asked very technical oriented questions. I myself was not.

Interview Question – [paraphrasing] "You are an electrical engineer. This is a software engineering position. Prove to me that you have what it takes to work here."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not attempt to negotiate. The initial offer was more than satisfactory.

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in October 2012.

Interview Details – Got an email saying they had my resume in their database and wanted to schedule an interview. I interviewed with two team leads, which consisted completely of behavioral questions and went very well. Got a call back for a second interview with one of those team leads, plus two others, plus the department head. It was mostly a rehash of the first interview with the only technical question being about Unit Testing. The team lead that interviewed me both times said I did great and they would do my review, which was about 3 weeks ago. Haven't heard from them since.

Interview Question – How would you go about writing a research paper?   Answer Question

McClellan, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Interview Details – I applied for the position through my university's job board. Was contacted for a 45-minute phone interview. It was fairly standard, essentially just a resume walk-through and a discussion of skills and experience with languages list on the resume in addition to any projects I have used the languages in.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected, just be prepared to effectively elaborate on anything pertinent you have done.   Answer Question

El Segundo, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in July 2012.

Interview Details – Basic Phone Interview that gives you a chance to go over your resume. If that goes well you get flown out to the office for an in-person interview. If you are being considered for more than one program/project then expect a longer (possibly all day interview). If it's just one program/project then expect maybe an hour to two hours. You're going to be interviewed by your manager(s) and prospective coworkers. It's ok if you're nervous just tell them about yourself and elaborate on what you told them during the phone interview. The questions they ask you are usually relevant to the program/project that you will be added to. For example you focused on Communications in school then expect a basic communication question or be able to talk about a project related to that experience. They might have videos for you to watch and they'll tell you more about what you could be doing.

The questions aren't too difficult just know your basics.If the job description has to do with object oriented programming, for example, then it would be prudent to know and be able to explain what object oriented programming is in a nutshell. What's polymorphism, abstraction, etc.? Don't worry if you don't remember some rigid definition you memorized in school just explain it the way you know it. If you think you can show it to them better than telling them then by all means let them know that and show them. Just prove that you are competent, can do the job, and are personable...they called you for a reason and flew you out for a better one.

Interview Question – I didn't think any of the questions were difficult, unexpected, or off-the-wall. But here's an example: You've been given an assignment, a piece of code to write, and you're reaching your deadline and realize "Hey! There's know way I'll be able to finish this in time!" What do you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You tell them what you want and they tell you what they got. Sometimes they give you more, sometimes they give you what you ask for, and sometimes they try to get close but are a little under. Be honest and just tell them the range you're looking for. It depends on the program you get hired for. This is of course the experience of a "college hire". I got the offer the same day. If (Nice location && pay on par or better && interesting project) {Satisfied = True;}

Bellevue, NE

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Interview Details – Applied through the company website and received an email from a recruiter just a few days later. Had one in-person interview that had hardly any technical questions; mostly just asking about projects I had worked on and how I felt about them. Honestly, no real curveball questions to speak of.

Interview Question – He asked if I had any problems with what my job would be linked to, such as targets being killed, etc.   View Answer

Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in June 2012.

Interview Details – I applied for a Software Engineer I position with Northrop Grumman in Colorado Springs. About a week later I received a polite call from a Northrop Grumman recruiter to set up an interview. We agreed on a time some days later, and at the specified time the hiring manager called me. The hiring manager asked me about myself, and immediately told me it was "strange" that I had graduated in March. I had to explain to him how a school with a quarter system works. After that he asked me a series of very specific technical questions like "what is systems engineering?" (this topic was not on the job description) or "how many lines of code have you programmed?" He seemed to be looking for a candidate with certain pre-existing skills, not someone who was willing to learn. He was critical of me during the interview and I did not find the experience pleasant.

Interview Question – What is systems engineering?   View Answers (3)

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northrop Grumman

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!

Northrop Grumman Videos

Northrop Grumman – Why Work for Us?

We invite you to learn more about Northrop Grumman’s varied businesses and our rich history of innovation. Northrop Grumman continues to manufacture some of the most cutting-edge technology and products. As a member of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northrop Grumman Software Engineer I interview questions and advice. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by Northrop Grumman employees and interview candidates.