Northrop Grumman Software Engineer I Interview Questions & Reviews

17 interviews

2.6

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer I Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in May 2014.

Applied Online, took about 2 weeks for recruiter to call. She was nice, went over my resume and set up an phone interview. Phone interview was 1 hour very intense. Mainly went over resume, and ask in depth questions about projects I've worked on and also some behavioral questions. I was invited for a second in person interview later that week, was expecting a one one one however was met with a panel interview. They made me feel very comfortable and it was fairly straight forward and easy. Technical questions they asked were based on what is on your resume. It was my most difficult interviews of all the jobs I applied for however, it was due to being unprepared.

Interview Questions
  • The questions they asked are derived on what you've listed on your resume. For me they went more into my projects and what programs I used and how I went about challenges.   Answer Question
entry level position, did not negotiate

Other Interview Reviews for Northrop Grumman

Anonymous Employee  in  Redondo Beach, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Redondo Beach, CA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in March 2014.

I applied online through their website. The process took 2 weeks before I got a phone call from Human Resources requesting an on-site interview. I then interviewed at Northrop Grumman in March 2014.

Interview Questions
    • None. They broke down my resume and asked some behavioral questions. Very straight forward. Interview consisted of two separate hour interviews. The first interview was with two members from the software team. Second interview was with Hiring Manager and Engineer Manager.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Huntsville, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in April 2014.

I applied online through my college's career website. I heard from a recruiter two weeks later and did an on-site interview. The interview was typical. They asked about skills listed on my resume and a few behavioral question.

None needed.

Anonymous Employee  in  Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I interviewed online - interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

From the beginning the process was smooth, they contact me via phone and set up the interview right away. The day of the interview I did not expect I was going to be interviewed by really young people, one of them did not have to much knowledge of my degree, did not have any question for me. It was a pleasant experience after all.

Interview Questions
    • I was ask about the courses I took back in college and what I did in a particular class, that have nothing to do with the position I was been interviewed for. I thought it was out of content, but I answer it.   Answer Question

Salary and working hours, they told to expect to work from 50 to 60 hours a week.

Software Engineer I Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

I was contacted for an initial interview, which was the basic interview which was with a HR. Basically just went over my resume, plans, what I was looking for etc. Got an e-mail for a second interview with an engineer. Had a problem scheduling the interview, but finally found one that works. Waited an entire hour after the given interview time but no call.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in November 2012.

My initial contact with the company was through our school career fair. I did not receive an on-campus interview; however, after about a month I was invited to an on-site interview. Several other candidates attended as well. We were introduced to the company by several panels of employees (young and old). We were then put through two interviews. Each interview consisted of 2-3 interviewers in a small office. The interviews were very down-to-earth. There were standard H.R. type questions and several questions regarding project and job experience. Several of the candidates were asked very technical oriented questions. I myself was not.

Interview Questions
    • [paraphrasing] "You are an electrical engineer. This is a software engineering position. Prove to me that you have what it takes to work here."   Answer Question
    I did not attempt to negotiate. The initial offer was more than satisfactory.

Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in October 2012.

Got an email saying they had my resume in their database and wanted to schedule an interview. I interviewed with two team leads, which consisted completely of behavioral questions and went very well. Got a call back for a second interview with one of those team leads, plus two others, plus the department head. It was mostly a rehash of the first interview with the only technical question being about Unit Testing. The team lead that interviewed me both times said I did great and they would do my review, which was about 3 weeks ago. Haven't heard from them since.

Anonymous Employee  in  McClellan, CA
    Anonymous Employee in McClellan, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

I applied for the position through my university's job board. Was contacted for a 45-minute phone interview. It was fairly standard, essentially just a resume walk-through and a discussion of skills and experience with languages list on the resume in addition to any projects I have used the languages in.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, just be prepared to effectively elaborate on anything pertinent you have done.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  El Segundo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in July 2012.

Basic Phone Interview that gives you a chance to go over your resume. If that goes well you get flown out to the office for an in-person interview. If you are being considered for more than one program/project then expect a longer (possibly all day interview). If it's just one program/project then expect maybe an hour to two hours. You're going to be interviewed by your manager(s) and prospective coworkers. It's ok if you're nervous just tell them about yourself and elaborate on what you told them during the phone interview. The questions they ask you are usually relevant to the program/project that you will be added to. For example you focused on Communications in school then expect a basic communication question or be able to talk about a project related to that experience. They might have videos for you to watch and they'll tell you more about what you could be doing.

The questions aren't too difficult just know your basics.If the job description has to do with object oriented programming, for example, then it would be prudent to know and be able to explain what object oriented programming is in a nutshell. What's polymorphism, abstraction, etc.? Don't worry if you don't remember some rigid definition you memorized in school just explain it the way you know it. If you think you can show it to them better than telling them then by all means let them know that and show them. Just prove that you are competent, can do the job, and are personable...they called you for a reason and flew you out for a better one.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't think any of the questions were difficult, unexpected, or off-the-wall. But here's an example: You've been given an assignment, a piece of code to write, and you're reaching your deadline and realize "Hey! There's know way I'll be able to finish this in time!" What do you do?   View Answer
    You tell them what you want and they tell you what they got. Sometimes they give you more, sometimes they give you what you ask for, and sometimes they try to get close but are a little under. Be honest and just tell them the range you're looking for. It depends on the program you get hired for. This is of course the experience of a "college hire". I got the offer the same day. If (Nice location && pay on par or better && interesting project) {Satisfied = True;}

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bellevue, NE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, NE

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Applied through the company website and received an email from a recruiter just a few days later. Had one in-person interview that had hardly any technical questions; mostly just asking about projects I had worked on and how I felt about them. Honestly, no real curveball questions to speak of.

Interview Questions
    • He asked if I had any problems with what my job would be linked to, such as targets being killed, etc.   View Answer

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!