Northrop Grumman

Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineer Software II Interview

Engineer Software II
Oklahoma City, OK

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Interview Details – I was recruited into the interview process at a career fair through my university. They were in need of competent and enthusiastic software engineers for the B-2 modernization program out in Oklahoma City. The interview process was a 1-day affair where we rotated through hiring managers for different parts of the program.

Interview Question – What would be your dream position with us here at Northrop Grumman? (Often hard to narrow down exactly what you are interested in while still being open minded!)   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I found a different offer in a location better for personal reasons.

Very Easy Interview

Huntsville, AL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in June 2013.

Interview Details – Upon filling out an application directly on Northrop's Corporate website one weekend, I received an email from HR asking me to complete a questionnaire the following week which had questions like 1. Why do you think you would be a good fit for this position? 2. Why are you looking to leave your current job? 3. What (if any) of the job requirements do you meet for the job description? What salary do you make now and what salary are you asking for?

Once I filled out the questionnaire, I received an email the following day from HR to schedule an interview. We scheduled it for the following week.

I showed up wearing a suit and tie and was impressed by the level of friendliness and reception I was greeted with by the front desk and fellow passer by's when I arrived. The morale appeared to be very high over there. My POC, the hiring manager then came and greeted me and showed me around, basically giving me an overview of the project. It was very exciting to get introduced to the technology I would potentially get to play a part in developing on and see it first hand before the interview. It gave me a lot of enthusiasm and a way to bond with the hiring manager a little prior to the interview - which certainly eased the pressure.

We then conducted the interview along with an additional senior engineer for more technical-related questions. The hiring manager began the interview by asking me what I had been doing at my current job, and what my experience was with certain languages and source control. Next, the technical manager asked what specific areas of the project I worked on at my current job and the type of development processes we used . Upon answering those questions, we casually conversed about how my experience was inter-related and would prove useful on their project, and even got into some casual small talk and humorous reminiscing. Other questions were asked such as 1. What do aspects of Software Engineering you enjoy doing the most? 2. What's a typical development cycle for you where you work?

Concluding the interview, I could tell both of the managers were extremely satisfied about the experience, as was I, and they made to express how great of a fit I was for the role. It gave me great peace of mind and confidence that I would probably get the job. Sure enough, I received a call a couple days later from HR extending me an offer with higher a salary than I had initially requested! I immediately accepted the offer and was then directed to fill out necessary documents on their website to complete the offer, undergo the standard DoD background check, etc.

Overall, this was the best interview I had ever experienced period, and the management really made me excited to join the company and the project. My advice, come in prepared, relax, smile, and be yourself with a great attitude. These folks are great people, and you have no need to be nervous.

Interview Question – Nothing about the interview was difficult or unexpected. Just your standard interview formatted questions coupled with some lighted-hearted conversation to establish your social abilities.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The negotiation was simple and I feel I possibly undershot my potential target salary. However, the offer proved to be more than my target salary. So no complaints!

Very Easy Interview

Rancho Bernardo, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in March 2008.

Interview Details – There were three interviews - one over the phone, one in person with the technical team, and one with the management team. All questions were very basic, of the "Do you know what OOP is?" sort.

Interview Question – There were no challenging questions during any of my interviews.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The negotiation process was pretty straight-forward. Standard rules apply.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

El Segundo, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in November 2009.

Interview Details – Northrop Grumman hosts 2-3 large job fairs every year. An alumni from my graduate program invited me to one of the job fairs. The job fair has many groups within the company looking for candidates to work on their projects so it is in your best interest to open many important looking people since impressing them lands you interviews. Beware of functional managers performing the interviews because you're likely going to be placed on a bad project where no one wants to work. If the team lead is not present at the interview, he or she is usually a jerk and no one wants to work for him or her. That is why the functional manager is performing the interview; the functional can seem nice but place you on a horrible project desperate for people because no one is willing to deal with the team lead. This happened to me.

Interview Question – How do you swap variables without using a temporary variable? Assume the variables are always integers.   View Answers (2)

Software Engineer II

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in April 2008.

Interview Details – Meet employee of group looking for developers at an on-campus event. Security screen conducted by phone was conducted a day or so later. Phone interview was conducted a day or two later. This was mostly technical questions. On-Site was scheduled and consisted of 5-6 1:1 interviews with employees of all levels. The questions were very technical.

Interview Question – Write an algorithm in pseudo code which does an in place replacement of a carriage return newline combination with a newline on a character array.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northrop Grumman

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!

Northrop Grumman Videos

Northrop Grumman – Why Work for Us?

We invite you to learn more about Northrop Grumman’s varied businesses and our rich history of innovation. Northrop Grumman continues to manufacture some of the most cutting-edge technology and products. As a member of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northrop Grumman Software Engineer II interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Northrop Grumman employees and interview candidates.