Northrop Grumman Software Engineer III Interview Questions

Updated May 7, 2014

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in September 2010.

I applied for the job and got a call from the hiring manager directly. I was surprised that HR didnt call. A 30 minute phone interview happened in a few days time. The interviewer focussed on core java/j2ee based questions. There were some spring/hibernate questions as well which could be found online. I was called for an onsite interview in a few days and had similar technical round. The met the Program manager, who gave overview of the project and expectation.
They also wanted other team members opinion and so I was asked to attend one more phone interview. This time the technical questions were more detailed and was at the level of syntax. Again, you can find these questions frequently asked in interviews and could be found online.

Interview Questions
I had other offers, but gave them up for Northrop due to the company's reputation as a defense contractor. I also accepted a lower salary and called up the HR person and agreed to their offer even though it was 10k less than my demand. I could have probably waited for a few more days to HR to return with more concrete analysis.

Other Interview Reviews for Northrop Grumman

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in March 2010.

Meet with HR briefly. Then meet with process managers for 30 minutes for standard "how do you handle conflict" type of questions. Next, meet with SW Engineers that asked my background and examples to test my skill level. While finishing up with HR, asked me if I could come back after lunch. They paid for lunch and when I returned, talked with project managers that I would be working for. 2.5 Hrs total not including lunch.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had a work place conflict and if so, how did you solve it?   View Answer
    • What's wrong with this code?   View Answer
    The campus/site/branch had a dedicated "Talent Acquisition" person. After being offered a 5% raise over my previous job, I requested either a larger raise (7% total) or a pay grade increase (from SW level 3 to 4). After a week they got back to me and gave me neither! They did give me a $3k signing bonus since I was moving from L.A. to San Diego. (Job was not eligible for relocation funds but the $3k was about equal to it.)

Software Engineer III Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in January 2009.

The interview was with HR as well as the technical manager. There was discussion of software design approaches, what your strength and weaknesses were, and an opportunity to speak with one of the staff members of the technical team. There was alot of chit chatting in the side offices.